g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I dunno, a couple of players over the last few years isn’t getting close to Utds history of youngsters.
I meant 2 starters and 1 sub was not miles off of 3 starters.

How many youth teamers are in your (you personally) first XI if everyone is fit? I've probably only got 2 Chelsea products (James and Mount) in mine.

BerryBerryShrew

How many youth teamers are in your (you personally) first XI if everyone is fit? I've probably only got 2 Chelsea products (James and Mount) in mine.
None in all honesty. The three that started yesterday should be nowhere near our strongest 11. The only academy product that is good enough and ready... is currently awaiting trial for some nasty stuff...

cyberman

How many youth teamers are in your (you personally) first XI if everyone is fit?
Depends who we’re playing since Ten Hag has said he rotate most games now.
Had Elanga, Scott and Rashford start against Liverpool of all teams so hard to not include them but then they might not make another game next week. Greenwood should really be on that list as well but feck that monster. you can’t really be a starter at 18/19 in this team and Greenwood was the only player to step up from the previous class so him not being there leaves a youth gap in our first team.
As the season goes on you’ll see Garnacho, Zidane and Savage play their way into EPL minutes from their EL appearances. Can’t see why Ten Hag wouldn’t integrate such talent but it’s hard to pick an 11 as we stand today. Maybe at Christmas we could look back and assess .

duffer

Scout
but it’s hard to pick an 11 as we stand today.
Because you don't want to say "zero", fair enough.

It will be interesting to see if there is any backlash if he does go down the route of no academy starters, given the incredible history but of course if the players are not there, what can he do?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It will be interesting to see if there is any backlash if he does go down the route of no academy starters, given the incredible history but of course if the players are not there, what can he do?
Academy starters streak was broken long back, it's academy player in the match day squad (or maybe coming on as s sub).

Jcrossley94

I dunno, a couple of players over the last few years isn’t getting close to Utds history of youngsters.
We were a sex offender away from having a front 3 of nothing but academy graduates (may point to under investment in the forward area but that’s besides the point!)
Dont want to get off topic, but i think this is potentially libelous, or at least prejudicial :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive

Not much really is the answer to that. The Greenwood incident has totally blindsided the club as it’s essentially lost a £80m asset overnight. He would have been a mainstay in the team for the next decade or so.

Rashford losing his form is another that could go either way but for very different reasons. I still feel he’ll remain part of the set up though.

There’s some talented players in the youth cup winning side but they aren’t ready yet. Garnacho has been on the bench each game though and I expect he’ll get minutes in cup and European games. Zidane Iqbal is another who Ten Hag has taken a shine to and is likely to get opportunities this season given he’s been kept at the club. Similar to Charlie Savage.

Watching Hannibal and Laird on loan in the Championship will be interesting as I feel both have pathways next season if they perform. They look capable.

Seeing James Garner move was sad however he deserved to play this season and given he was injured during our tour he wasn’t able to show Ten Hag his abilities I think the club has done right by him in allowing a move.

mu4c_20le

Only Auba is an upgrade, and maybe Sterling, though Werner's movement is often underrated. ANd this is after spending half a billion. Cucurella is not necessarly a better wingback than Alonso, and Koulibaly is definitely a downgrade on Rudiger.

Jcrossley94

Lukaku - Aubameyang - Think this is a good replacement, but only short term, will still need to go back to the market next year.
Werner - Sterling - great replacement, think Sterling will do well.
Rüdiger - Koulibaly - Definite downgrade, Koulibaly already looking shaky and didnt realise how old he was.
Christensen - Fofana - Potentially excellent, Fofana looks a player, heavy fee though
Emerson + Alonso - Cucurella - expensive replacement considering Chilwell is still there, but a good player
Niguez - Gallagher - not a transfer as returning from loan, but dont think hes a huge improvement anyway considering Chelsea considered loaning him out again
Barkley - Zakaria - Dont know much about Zakaria admittedly.
Hudson-Odoi - Broja - not a transfer, returning from loan again - but think Broja looks a player. good swap for Hudson-Odoi

cyberman

What? Scott will have 25/30 starts this season. Rashford will rotate with Ronaldo and Elanga will get 25/30 starts as he is the sole cover for each wing and, since Ten Hag has said he will constantly rotate the striker, he will play a lot.
We won’t see the so called first choice 11 play regularly at United. If anything it’ll be the rotated options that will feature more since Ten Hag has basically been telling us that for a month now
How can I see no to those numbers? They aren’t starters?
You praise United for how they integrate academy players and when it’s explained to you how your narrow goalposts don’t cover their uses you shut it down because it’s suddenly a Chelsea v United argument.

bringbackbebe

What does Chelsea intend to do with Lukaku next year? He'll be 30 with 3 years remaining on his 350k a week. He's hated by everyone but they can't get rid of him due to his wages. Kind of like Ronaldo situation on steroids.

duffer

Scout
What? Scott will have 25/30 starts this season. Rashford will rotate with Ronaldo and Elanga will get 25/30 starts as he is the sole cover for each wing and, since Ten Hag has said he will constantly rotate the striker, he will play a lot.
We won’t see the so called first choice 11 play regularly at United. If anything it’ll be the rotated options that will feature more since Ten Hag has basically been telling us that for a month now
How can I see no to those numbers? They aren’t starters?
You praise United for how they integrate academy players and when it’s explained to you how your narrow goalposts don’t cover their uses you shut it down because it’s suddenly a Chelsea v United argument.
I asked how many would be in your (you personally) starting XI right if everyone was fit. It's not that complicated a question.

Jcrossley94

What does Chelsea intend to do with Lukaku next year? He'll be 30 with 3 years remaining on his 350k a week. He's hated by everyone but they can't get rid of him due to his wages. Kind of like Ronaldo situation on steroids.
Not sure its the same as the Ronaldo situation.

Lukaku is likely to score a decent amount of goals this season, which will inflate his value again.

Someone will take him next summer, if not Inter permanently

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Only Auba is an upgrade, and maybe Sterling, though Werner's movement is often underrated. ANd this is after spending half a billion. Cucurella is not necessarly a better wingback than Alonso, and Koulibaly is definitely a downgrade on Rudiger.
I think you're doing a good job of underrating incomings and to a degree, vastly overrating the outgoings. Cucurella is miles better than Alonso, for example.

SambaBoy

I just find Chelsea's squad a bit meh in the attacking/midfield areas. I think they are set in defence - Fofana will be an excellent addition, James is top class. One out of Chilwell/Cucurella I'm sure will emerge as one of the best LBs in the league. Silva is still one of the best defenders around as is Kouliably. Obviously them two will have to likely be replaced in the next few years.

In midfield, they all have big question marks next to them.

Sterling/Mount/Havertz too - Sterling probably the only one you can rely upon over a season. Auba - who knows, will he be the back end Arsenal Auba or the one who started there on fire and at Barca. If they all click and reach top form then yeah great, but I think it's right to look at their midfield and attack and question the quality/durability/consistency there.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku - Aubameyang - Think this is a good replacement, but only short term, will still need to go back to the market next year.
Werner - Sterling - great replacement, think Sterling will do well.
Rüdiger - Koulibaly - Definite downgrade, Koulibaly already looking shaky and didnt realise how old he was.
Christensen - Fofana - Potentially excellent, Fofana looks a player, heavy fee though
Emerson + Alonso - Cucurella - expensive replacement considering Chilwell is still there, but a good player
Niguez - Gallagher - not a transfer as returning from loan, but dont think hes a huge improvement anyway considering Chelsea considered loaning him out again
Barkley - Zakaria - Dont know much about Zakaria admittedly.
Hudson-Odoi - Broja - not a transfer, returning from loan again - but think Broja looks a player. good swap for Hudson-Odoi
I would agree with most of those. I think you can only properly judge the window 2-3 years from now, but potentially I think we have managed to upgrade almost all of those positions.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He’s more useful / easy to fit into a team / lower wages than Ronaldo and way younger.

mu4c_20le

I think you're doing a good job of underrating incomings and to a degree, vastly overrating the outgoings. Cucurella is miles better than Alonso, for example.
I did specify wingback, where Alonso is as deadly as he is behind the wheel. Yes he's getting up there in age so had to be replaced, but you will miss his goals.

jackal&hyde

That’s extreme. I think TT is a good coach. He’s not at the same level as Klopp and Pep (probably around Conte) but he has the potential to get there.
It's extreme yes and I think so is the point so often made in the media that they are an elite coached team and TT is an elite manager in the same boat as Klopp and Pep. How long will it take for Chelsea fans to come to terms that they are neither playing that well on a consistent basis nor are the results what you'd expect from a World class manager with that level of investment? He is decent to good like I've said a few times, but made by the media and some Chelsea fans to be very over rated IMO.

cyberman

I asked how many would be in your (you personally) starting XI right if everyone was fit. It's not that complicated a question.
And I said it depends on who we play. I have absolutely no idea who will play this Sunday as an example.
look, I dont rate Scott that highly but it seems Ten Hag does. Personally I’d drop Bruno, move Eriksen forward that frees up the space for Scott / Fred for now and allow Savage / Zidane to play their way in after Christmas.
If we want to press I’d play Elanga and Rashford. Low blocks would be Ronaldo and Antony (maybe) or some kind of other combination.
I’ve been on record saying I’d bin half these players and play the youngsters so take that with a pinch of salt

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Crazy talk, Sterling is the biggest upgrade if the lot

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure its the same as the Ronaldo situation.

Lukaku is likely to score a decent amount of goals this season, which will inflate his value again.

Someone will take him next summer, if not Inter permanently
Inter and chelsea agreed already for two year loan. At least next summer window he won't be our problem. Means in pure money value we will save minimum 30 mn euros from him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I did specify wingback, where Alonso is as deadly as he is behind the wheel. Yes he's getting up there in age so he had to be replaced, but you will miss his goals.
Alonso was a good player for us. I appreciated his knack for popping up with a goal in crucial moments. His goalscoring did mask a lot of his deficiencies if you didn't watch him regularly.

Last edited:

cyberman

Inter and chelsea agreed already for two year loan. At least next summer window he won't be our problem. Means in pure money value we will save minimum 30 mn euros from him.
Why? His wages? Did you add on his first year wages to his fee to even your losses on him?

jackal&hyde

It looks to me like replacing some very talented players with some other very talented players while hoping this time they can get a tune out of them. A roll of the dice in some sense. The issue IMO was not one of talent before but one of system and potentially man management.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Why? His wages? Did you add on his first year wages to his fee to even your losses on him?
I talk things in pure ffp terms. Now practically we spent zero on him least for next two years. For one year of service of him being useless we spent 35 mn euros though. :lol:

mu4c_20le

Crazy talk, Sterling is the biggest upgrade if the lot
In terms of output, no doubt. I just dont think they look as threatening though, maybe the addition of a real striker like Auba will bring some balance.

Drainy

I think it's interesting that Chelsea have had a youth team be in the final or win the the FA Youth Cup something like 9/10 time in 12 years and people flip their wigs about questioning the production for the first team because there are like a couple of players in it.

2 players is an average batch at United from one youth side :lol:

duffer

Scout
I think it's interesting that Chelsea have had a youth team be in the final or win the the FA Youth Cup something like 9/10 time in 12 years and people flip their wigs about questioning the production for the first team because there are like a couple of players in it.

2 players is an average batch at United from one youth side :lol:
Seeing as though that other dude refuses to answer, how many academy players are in your personal first choice Man United Xi if everyone was fit? McTom and Rashford?

mctrials23

The issue is that hes not really an upgrade on your first choice LWB and he was a lot of money. Its not a case of "is he better than the guy he replaced" its a case of "does he make the first XI better" which I don't think he does.

Auba will score plenty of goals if he can be bothered and Sterling will be a good buy but outside of that I don't think Chelsea have really improved despite a £250m spend. Time will tell.

Jcrossley94

Seeing as though that other dude refuses to answer, how many academy players are in your personal first choice Man United Xi if everyone was fit? McTom and Rashford?
personally would go with none at the moment

Genuine question - not loaded at all - but how many make it in to Chelsea's? just Mount presumably?

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
2 September 2022.

3 months after the purchase of the club and a few hundred million spent in the transfer market without any logical criteria we still don't have a sporting director.
Which was the first and most important decision to make.

The team has been playing poorly for a long time and no kind of evolution is in sight.

At one point I questioned whether Tuchel's personal situation could be a determining factor because it coincided in time space.

The new owners seem to have.given him confidence and he is asking the club to burn money without discretion while he is dating his new Latin loves.

We have a big problem with Tuchel.

He is good but his head is not here.

You can keep arguing about players....

Jcrossley94

And Reece James. Only 2 for me.
You have so many youth players,
2 September 2022.

3 months after the purchase of the club and a few hundred million spent in the transfer market without any logical criteria we still don't have a sporting director.
Which was the first and most important decision to make.

The team has been playing poorly for a long time and no kind of evolution is in sight.

At one point I questioned whether Tuchel's personal situation could be a determining factor because it coincided in time space.

The new owners seem to have.given him confidence and he is asking the club to burn money without discretion while he is dating his new Latin loves.

We have a big problem with Tuchel.

He is good but his head is not here.

You can keep arguing about players....
How long have you been playing poorly for? because you finished 3rd last year, and won the CL the year before that?

Drainy

On paper 0 now. Rashford, Elanga, McTominay rotated in or first choice there certain attributes are needed. Garnacho and Iqbal probably in europa league

Rashford, McTominay and Henderson were all from one youth side that wasn't very lauded.

Where are most of the oil billionaire funded serial youth cup winners at the moment? Why are Chelsea so desperate to avoid playing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.