Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
It has to be said that the reports on Koulibaly's wages were all over the place and everyone seemed to report different numbers so there's no way to know for sure which of them (if any) are true.

I've pretty much accepted the fact Koulibaly is very likely among the club's top5 current earners but as long as the exact figures aren't disclosed there's no way to know for sure how much everyone is getting. There are also lots of bonus clauses in every contract, which is said to be a key policy under Boehly-Clearlake, so that probably would explain some of the difference in wage reports as well if some reports are with all bonuses included and some just the basic wage. Some reports also mix up the numbers before taxes and net after tax so it's all a big mess really.

Either way don't really give a feck and James definitely has earned a high salary for himself, whether it's £250K a week or something else. Wonderful player and we've now got him tied up till 2028. If you ask me he's nailed on to be the club captain after Azpilicueta leaves.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
It has to be said that the reports on Koulibaly's wages were all over the place and everyone seemed to report different numbers so there's no way to know for sure which of them (if any) are true.

I've pretty much accepted the fact Koulibaly is very likely among the club's top5 current earners but as long as the exact figures aren't disclosed there's no way to know for sure how much everyone is getting. There are also lots of bonus clauses in every contract, which is said to be a key policy under Boehly-Clearlake, so that probably would explain some of the difference in wage reports as well if some reports are with all bonuses included and some just the basic wage. Some reports also mix up the numbers before taxes and net after tax so it's all a big mess really.

Either way don't really give a feck and James definitely has earned a high salary for himself, whether it's £250K a week or something else. Wonderful player and we've now got him tied up till 2028. If you ask me he's nailed on to be the club captain after Azpilicueta leaves.
What are the 5 players who earn the most and how much money are we talking about?
The amounts in net if it can be.

romufc

There are many reports said he was signed for 8.2 mn a year contract that roughly come below 200k mark.They quoted goal.com as their source. May be they got wrong.
Yep, is that £8.2m net or gross?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
What are the 5 players who earn the most and how much money are we talking about?
The amounts in net if it can be.
Going by what's been reported in the media I would guess the top 5 earners at the club to be Raheem Sterling, N'Golo Kante, Kalidou Koulibaly, Reece James and once he signs his new deal then probably Mason Mount to complete the lot.

Sterling is the highest paid with £325K/wk so around £17M a year before tax. No idea how much the tax rate is for wages like that in England but if we assume a tax percentage of around 45-50% then Sterling should be on somewhere between £8.5M - £9M a year net.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
£1.2m per week for koulibaly is crazy money.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
That site gets their info from about 4 sources, but three of those use the other source, capology.com, as a source it looks like.

Here’s what capology says about their sourcing:

“All salary figures are estimates as actual salary figures may vary. Unverified players are sourced using alogorithms, or sourced from reporting that has not been verified yet”

It then says you can contact them for any corrections…

The site has Sterling on 325k per week

It has Varane listed at 340k per week.

One of the sources says Harry Kane makes the same money as Jesse Lingard … which is half as much as Raheem Sterling.

Jorgihno makes half as much as Jesse Lingard?

We know that all new Chelsea contracts are structured with performance tiers as well as achievement bonuses mixed in. So the question is do any numbers they get automatically assume those? Or omit them?

None of this info seems super reliable.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There are many reports said he was signed for 8.2 mn a year contract that roughly come below 200k mark.They quoted goal.com as their source. May be they got wrong.
That's net wages. Koulibaly is on more than 300K per week as reported by Di Marzio and Pedulla.

roonster09

Scout
On over £300k per week then?

Your best signing of the summer.
Their wage bill will shoot up like crazy this season.

Koulibaly earns more than 300K, Sterling was already on 300K at City and the report was he will be top 3 earner in the league, James will be more than 300K if the reports are highest paid defender at Chelsea is true.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Their wage bill will shoot up like crazy this season.

Koulibaly earns more than 300K, Sterling was already on 300K at City and the report was he will be top 3 earner in the league, James will be more than 300K if the reports are highest paid defender at Chelsea is true.
Keep in mind we've gotten rid of quite a few high earners like Werner, Lukaku (for a season) Alonso, Barkley, as well as Christensen.

According to spotrac, (and not sure how reliable they given they still show Tammy as a Chelsea player), there are 4 players on over 200k (including James' new contract), 2 players on over 300k. Chillwell is just under 200k and everyone else are on less than 150k. They haven't yet added Fofana, Zakaria and Auba though.

TheReligion

Abusive
Keep in mind we've gotten rid of quite a few high earners like Werner, Lukaku (for a season) Alonso, Barkley, as well as Christensen.

According to spotrac, (and not sure how reliable they given they still show Tammy as a Chelsea player), there are 4 players on over 200k (including James' new contract), 2 players on over 300k. Chillwell is just under 200k and everyone else are on less than 150k. They haven't yet added Fofana, Zakaria and Auba though.
I assume Auba will be on the 300k mark

The money saved on Lukaku is a blessing

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I assume Auba will be on the 300k mark

The money saved on Lukaku is a blessing
Don't know, Auba took a substantial pay cut to join Barca. A hefty increase on his Barca wages from last season would still have him on less than 200k. Relevo reported his new Chelsea wages to be around 160k.

roonster09

Scout

Sportac is very poor source.

I'm going by what reliable journalists reported during the deal. Will be interesting to see the total wage bill at the end of the season for all clubs.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Don't know, Auba took a substantial pay cut to join Barca. A hefty increase on his Barca wages from last season would still have him on less than 200k. Relevo reported his new Chelsea wages to be around 160k.
Was he not meant to go up in wages this summer though? He took a hefty wage cut from Barca because Arsenal were still paying a chunk to the summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sportac is very poor source.

I'm going by what reliable journalists reported during the deal. Will be interesting to see the total wage bill at the end of the season for all clubs.
Fair enough, and I agree with you generally anyway, the wage bill will go up by quite a bit after the summer's shopping spree.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Was he not meant to go up in wages this summer though? He took a hefty wage cut from Barca because Arsenal were still paying a chunk to the summer.
Good point, I tried to google it and all I could find on Auba was something Relevo reported, which was 160k. Who knows for sure though.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes I believe that’s why it was low (and likely why they had no issues him leaving). He was due a hike this season.

He was on towards 350k at Arsenal wasn’t he? I’m sure I read he did accept a pay cut at Barca to the 300 mark though when he left.

No way on earth is Auba going to be 160k though at Chelsea. This will be one of his last big deals.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yes I believe that’s why it was low (and likely why they had no issues him leaving). He was due a hike this season.

He was on towards 350k at Arsenal wasn’t he? I’m sure I read he did accept a pay cut at Barca to the 300 mark though when he left.

No way on earth is Auba going to be 160k though at Chelsea. This will be one of his last big deals.
He's 33 and a £10m stop gap signing. I doubt he'll be on as much as you imagine. Doesn't matter what his Arsenal wages were. He signed that contract in his prime.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's 33 and a £10m stop gap signing. I doubt he'll be on as much as you imagine. Doesn't matter what his Arsenal wages were. He signed that contract in his prime.
Think about it. Why leave the club if you’re at least not making similar monies? He’s not leaving Barca to join Chelsea on 160k per week.

He’ll be on upwards to 300k. Just like Koulibaly.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Think about it. Why leave the club if you’re at least not making similar monies? He’s not leaving Barca to join Chelsea on 160k per week.

He’ll be on upwards to 300k. Just like Koulibaly.
Because he would clearly be the backup to Lewa? Why would he stay when another CL team is offering you a potential starting role? Anyway, we don't know for sure. I'm just going by the info I could find and that's 160k.

TheReligion

Abusive
Because he would clearly be the backup to Lewa? Why would he stay when another CL team is offering you a potential starting role? Anyway, we don't know for sure. I'm just going by the info I could find and that's 160k.
I think Auba would just be happy picking the pay cheque up to be honest. Judging by what happened at Arsenal he doesn’t seem to be the best professional in the world.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If it is to be believed, and everything points to that direction, Boehly’s people have been doing performance based wages. A good base wage, with hefty performance bonuses that are easily attained. It keeps players at their best and if someone goes on a bad run, it doesn’t hurt the bottom line. The media can report those salaries with full bonuses included, but it is not going to happen for every player signed. It also helps FFP.

I don’t think there are many teams disclosing wages to football journos, they are guessing and getting thrown numbers by agents. Agents probably inflate numbers to make themselves look better.

TheReligion

Abusive
If it is to be believed, and everything points to that direction, Boehly’s people have been doing performance based wages. A good base wage, with hefty performance bonuses that are easily attained. It keeps players at their best and if someone goes on a bad run, it doesn’t hurt the bottom line. The media can report those salaries with full bonuses included, but it is not going to happen for every player signed. It also helps FFP.

I don’t think there are many teams disclosing wages to football journos, they are guessing and getting thrown numbers by agents. Agents probably inflate numbers to make themselves look better.
Yes I agree with the performance related wages.

United players have all taken a 25% pay cut this season due to missing out on CL football.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Compared to last season, in addition to the players you listed, we have also removed Saul, Drinkwater, Rüdiger, Emerson, Kenedy and Batshuayi permanently from the wage bill as well as Hudson-Odoi and Sarr on loan deals for the season.

Even if some of the newcomers are on very high wages, I very much doubt the claim that our total salary bill 'will have shot up like crazy' due to the sheer amount of players we've also gotten rid.

The salaries of the players you and I listed all together add up to a very, very high amount of money overall and will more than cover most, if not all, of the new arrivals salaries. An estimate on the conservative side would put the outgoing players salaries together somewhere in the region of £1.1M a week, including only the ones who've left the wage bill permanently so not even counting the likes of Lukaku, CHO and Sarr.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Compared to last season, in addition to the players you listed, we have also removed Saul, Drinkwater, Rüdiger, Emerson, Kenedy and Batshuayi permanently from the wage bill as well as Hudson-Odoi and Sarr on loan deals for the season.

Even if some of the newcomers are on very high wages, I very much doubt the claim that our total salary bill 'will have shot up like crazy' due to the sheer amount of players we've also gotten rid.

The salaries of the players you and I listed all together add up to a very, very high amount of money overall and will more than cover most, if not all, of the new arrivals salaries. An estimate on the conservative side would put the outgoing players salaries together somewhere in the region of £1.1M a week, including only the ones who've left the wage bill permanently so not even counting the likes of Lukaku, CHO and Sarr.
Yeah we trimmed a lot of the excess deadwood this summer. Under previous ownership I can imagine these players would probably have been given extensions to preserve some market value. It’s the reason some of these players have lasted at Chelsea for so many years. They keep signing extensions before going on loan in the hope that they do well and the club can then flip them for a decent fee. It just never happens and we repeat the cycle year after year. Boehly was like nope, not doing that anymore, you lot are leaving permanently right now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He’s ready to play I think. Hopefully see him this weekend.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Wait … wasn’t he hit in the jaw? What good is an orbital mask gonna do? I was watching him in the stands, looking like he was laughing, talking, and thinking the jaw fracture story seemed … off.

On an Auba note… he only downed tools or had “issues” his last two years or so at Arsenal, right? Or even just the final year? He had some excellent years at Arsenal. Tuchel absolutely loved him at Dortmund. And apparently he’s been a good player/non distraction for Barca.

So it’s really only whatever went on between him and the management at Arsenal over a year or so that garnered whatever “reputation” people feel followed him.

Tuchel has had to keep some proper Divas in line in his career. And his job could very well be tied to how Aubamayang does. So I don’t think he would push so hard for him if he didn’t think he would at least put in the work. Now, whether that translates or not is a different story.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wait … wasn’t he hit in the jaw? What good is an orbital mask gonna do? I was watching him in the stands, looking like he was laughing, talking, and thinking the jaw fracture story seemed … off.

On an Auba note… he only downed tools or had “issues” his last two years or so at Arsenal, right? Or even just the final year? He had some excellent years at Arsenal. Tuchel absolutely loved him at Dortmund. And apparently he’s been a good player/non distraction for Barca.

So it’s really only whatever went on between him and the management at Arsenal over a year or so that garnered whatever “reputation” people feel followed him.

Tuchel has had to keep some proper Divas in line in his career. And his job could very well be tied to how Aubamayang does. So I don’t think he would push so hard for him if he didn’t think he would at least put in the work. Now, whether that translates or not is a different story.
Yes you don’t recover from a broken jaw in a week nor do you wear one of those Zorro style masks for one. It’s usually at least 6 weeks before you can open your mouth at all with the majority of fractures requiring surgery.

Something fishy with that story!

roonster09

Scout

Every club does performance based wages.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Looks he was wearing a different mask during team training.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Aubamayang actually put up great numbers at Arsenal. The question mark will be how quick / sharp he still and whether his lack of contribution to the general play will the team.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Looks he was wearing a different mask during team training.
Same mask, just pictured from the other side. The damage seems to be on the left side of his face where the mask covers his full face, as compared to the other side that's probably only there to keep the mask in place.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Aubamayang actually put up great numbers at Arsenal. The question mark will be how quick / sharp he still and whether his lack of contribution to the general play will the team.
We'll see. He did well at Barca. His record there is pretty good actually and as BlueLion7 says, his reputation seems like it took a massive hit during the last year or so at Arsenal when he started having problems with Arteta.

Last edited:

NoPace

I was shocked to read he scored 92 in 163 for them. That's a fantastic record. Better than 1 in 2 in the league as well. I would have bet it was like 60 in 160.

Status
Not open for further replies.