Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

I dont think Potter asked for this.
They are 10th in the league, have lost 7 of their last 12 games and can't score to save their lives. This is all being done with next season in mind (when, presumably, Potter will no longer be the manager).

Someone

Something
There isn't enough money in football to justify spending 600m in less than a year. Even winning the league won't get you anywhere near that. Moreover, when you look at your competition in the league and in Europe, you could still possibly not win anything for years. Not all signings work out anyway so you could potentially have a lot of players stinking the place for 7 years.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How did they feck up Ziyech loan ? Sending 3 times the wrong document ? They loaned Sarr and Gusto back to Ligue 1 so they should know what to send for their registration :confused:

Chief123

Sky sports mentioned how Chelsea have spent more than all the other teams from the major European leagues combined this season!

They’ve spent the cost of what it would be to buy West Ham.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
By spending over 600m in one season.
No, it’s “net spend”. All that talk of how much we “spent” is an illusion, and we produce so much talent we have simply balanced most of our spending.

If we had decided to sell Gallagher and didn’t make Enzo we technically would have turned a profit this window.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
They’ve spent the cost of what it would be to buy West Ham.
Not a great comparison because cockneys only deal in slang so the maximum they'll be charging is a monkey. You'll be short changed by 1,199,999 monkeys.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Chelseas team is insane now.

Mudryk, Gusto and Enzo are such promising players. I think give Chelsea a top coach and they'll be a difficult team to beat.

They have a few positions to fill but I'd have snapped your hand off for Enzo or Gusto, fair play to them.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
So they're getting away with FFP by paying for all these deals over the length of the contracts but surely it'll impact what they can spend the next few years because they'll have massive transfer debts to pay every summer without even signing new players
No… we won’t. We will have the same marginal payment over extended terms, and as revenues grow with base inflation (not counting new revenue streams) that marginal payment will be a smaller and smaller portion of our FFP.

Not to mention we are creating an environment of competition and “make the squad, or … we find a place for you to start a successful career.” We plan to do even better at that in the future. And we do it by being accommodating to the players, which is why they like us. Musiala had an opportunity to move to Bayern and we have him away basically for like 200k.

Down the line we will have multiple feeder clubs in the system to go along with the academy.

That is massive in offsetting costs.

TsuWave

Mudryk, Gusto and Enzo are such promising players. I think give Chelsea a top coach and they'll be a difficult team to beat.

They have a few positions to fill but I'd have snapped your hand off for Enzo or Gusto, fair play to them.
Boehly collecting the infinity stones

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
‐---‐------------Havertz--- --------
Mudryk--------- Mount-------Sterling
---------- Kova------Enzo --------
Chilwell - Silva - Fofana - James

I don't know if that will get them top 4 this season .

Potentially, yes brilliant team and would peak in couple of years but I doubt Chelsea will have the patience to see it out.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Potentially, yes brilliant team and would peak in couple of years but I doubt Chelsea will have the patience to see it out.
With Sterling and Mount - no chance!

Edwards6

No… we won’t. We will have the same marginal payment over extended terms, and as revenues grow with base inflation (not counting new revenue streams) that marginal payment
No… we won’t. We will have the same marginal payment over extended terms, and as revenues grow with base inflation (not counting new revenue streams) that marginal payment will be a smaller and smaller portion of our FFP.

Not to mention we are creating an environment of competition and “make the squad, or … we find a place for you to start a successful career.” We plan to do even better at that in the future. And we do it by being accommodating to the players, which is why they like us. Musiala had an opportunity to move to Bayern and we have him away basically for like 200k.

Down the line we will have multiple feeder clubs in the system to go along with the academy.

That is massive in offsetting costs.
But Musiala wasn't on a 7 or 8 years contract getting massive wages at Chelsea, it won't be so easy forcing players out when other clubs won't at least match what your paying them

BlackShark_80

Potter will probably start Felix instead.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

They have no chance for top 4 this season.

Also yeah some promising players. But also a lot of unproven players, or inconsistent players, and you never know how players settle in together. Enzo is more of an 8 than a 6, though Kovacic and him would probably be a good partnership, but I doubt Potter uses them like that. Potter also his quality as a coach is fully unknown. Their attack is severely lacking quality. Sure, Mudryk has potential (but is a complete unknown quality and his analytics profile for what he did in the Ukrainian league was stupidly inconsistent and underwhelming). You never know how players settle, but that side also just lacks goals. Mudryk has 12 goals in his career. Havertz isn't much of a scorer. Felix is more of a creator. Sterling is past it. Their defenders are questionable defensively bar Silva, who is 37. Also always injured like James and Fofana. questionable keeper.

They've spent 600m and their team is stupidly underwhelming for that much money. And with a very questionable manager, which is ultimately the hardest part to get right and the part that will make the difference. So I'm giving them no chance this season and nothing more than an outside shot next season, as I don't think they'll be a better team than United, City or Arsenal, and Liverpool I'd expect a big improvement as well next season. Chelsea are in the next tier. Also with all this spending - clubs will put in an extra shift vs them now just to stick it to them IMO. New most hated team due to the spending.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
New most hated team due to the spending.
We have been the most hated team for 2 decades. Nothing new there.

All I will agree with is top 4 is likely beyond us this season. What I can’t agree with is how certain you are Liverpool, Arsenal or United will be strong next season. It’s a complete unknown. Look at Newcastle, half of that shite nearly got relegated but they’re doing great this season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

All I will agree with is top 4 is likely beyond us this season. What I can’t agree with is how certain you are Liverpool, Arsenal or United will be strong next season. It’s a complete unknown. Look at Newcastle, half of that shite nearly got relegated but they’re doing great this season.
Arsenal will be strong next season, United will be if they get a striker, Liverpool need a new midfield so probably not

bosnian_red

Liverpool is a bet based on Klopp + them during his time there. I'm sure they buy some midfielder and get them clicking again. We'll see I guess, but I see this as a down season similar to 20/21 where they barely snuck into the CL spots but they'll be back. They have an elite manager, and that's more important than any single player.

Similar reason for United. The progress with Ten Hag is clear, and it gives faith over any signing you could make. All depends on what you do with your managerial position. But even with a good appointment or Potter getting it together, I am not vastly impressed with your squad. Even compared to other clubs at the top like United who isn't even challenging for the title.. Reece James if he could stay fit I'd be jealous of, and Enzo Fernandez (or Kovacic, pick one to partner Casemiro). The rest don't get in our squad. Equally shit at striker position. Mudryk has got a long way to go to be rated ahead of Rashford, etc.

As for Arsenal... well they've got 50 points after 19 games, it's hard to argue with that. Newcastle is a weird one this season and they're on a high, with little to no distractions. But they're kind of playing like the Atletico Madrid of the Premier League right now. We'll see how long it last and how it goes with other competitions next season, and others now used to them. Signings like Gordon are a waste of money for them.

With Chelsea... yes they're buying a whole new team and it's impossible to predict what you do in the summer window. But it's impossible to predict how well those players adapt, how well they gel together, who your manager is and if they work well. The best managers in the world are Pep and Klopp, without a shadow of doubt. Arteta is building a great side, and Ten Hag has previous great experience at Ajax and is showing he knows that he can build an elite team here too. Who will Chelsea get? Might take you seriously if you hire Luis Enrique, Hansi Flick or Zidane. I don't think there's any other manager out there who gets you seriously competing with the elite teams in the prem though (off the top of my head).

mu4c_20le

Not really true, people had been warming to you as there are far worse oil clubs these days. And particularly here in the caf, most would've preferred you to win the league out of our rivals.

bosnian_red

Not really true, people had been warming to you as there are far worse oil clubs these days. And particularly here in the caf, most would've preferred you to win the league out of our rivals.
Also yeah. 20 years ago you were the most hated team for a bit, but generally it was United and then probably City, though I feel like most didn't care that much about them the past 10 years. Spending 600m in 1 season definitely will have everyone hating on them though.

Righteous Steps

You say fair play as if they’re carefully planned signings acquired through smart scouting, it’s literally football manager esque spending where any Tom dick and Harry can just throw extortionate sums at the best young players in the world, what’s ‘Fair play’ about that?

bosnian_red

Yeah so insane, they spend 600m and they don't have a striker and a reliable CB outside of a 37 year old, and no reliable DM, and no reliable RW, and no reliable goalkeeper.

Gusto is young and has potential, but they have James there. Maybe they convert him to DM, who knows. As of now, Gusto just a squad player for next season anyway.

Mudryk is a 22 year old with about 60 appearances in professional football and just 12 goals. Time will tell how much potential he has. He's done feck all in his career to be worth 100m now though.

Enzo yeah is class, fair enough. We'll see how he adapts. A good transfer record is having 50% of your signings work out, so there's a big chance they are left with a lot of flops on long contracts though

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool is a bet based on Klopp + them during his time there. I'm sure they buy some midfielder and get them clicking again. We'll see I guess, but I see this as a down season similar to 20/21 where they barely snuck into the CL spots but they'll be back. They have an elite manager, and that's more important than any single player.

Similar reason for United. The progress with Ten Hag is clear, and it gives faith over any signing you could make. All depends on what you do with your managerial position. But even with a good appointment or Potter getting it together, I am not vastly impressed with your squad. Even compared to other clubs at the top like United who isn't even challenging for the title.. Reece James if he could stay fit I'd be jealous of, and Enzo Fernandez (or Kovacic, pick one to partner Casemiro). The rest don't get in our squad. Equally shit at striker position. Mudryk has got a long way to go to be rated ahead of Rashford, etc.

As for Arsenal... well they've got 50 points after 19 games, it's hard to argue with that. Newcastle is a weird one this season and they're on a high, with little to no distractions. But they're kind of playing like the Atletico Madrid of the Premier League right now. We'll see how long it last and how it goes with other competitions next season, and others now used to them. Signings like Gordon are a waste of money for them.

With Chelsea... yes they're buying a whole new team and it's impossible to predict what you do in the summer window. But it's impossible to predict how well those players adapt, how well they gel together, who your manager is and if they work well. The best managers in the world are Pep and Klopp, without a shadow of doubt. Arteta is building a great side, and Ten Hag has previous great experience at Ajax and is showing he knows that he can build an elite team here too. Who will Chelsea get? Might take you seriously if you hire Luis Enrique, Hansi Flick or Zidane. I don't think there's any other manager out there who gets you seriously competing with the elite teams in the prem though (off the top of my head).
Liverpool are in crisis mode you cannot guarantee Klopp alone will pull them through. They might go back to being consistently strong but they might struggle again next season. They rely on an aging midfield and a striker who doesn’t want to be there. Given past 5 or so years, 60% chance of success.

Arsenal and United, based on the last 10 years, it’s hard to say if you’re here to stay or it’s just a good season. Arsenal specifically have been fortunate with injuries for the most part. They need more depth in the long term.

United.. really really hard to predict. If you compare us now to you last season, it’s about the same for performances but you’ve turned it around. On that basis alone you can’t simply right off Chelsea and say United will keep getting stronger, that’s not how football works and it’s not what you have done in recent history. On top of that you have a potential sale going on in yhe background and that may cause you disruption in multiple are

bosnian_red

Liverpool are in crisis mode you cannot guarantee Klopp alone will pull them through. They might go back to being consistently strong but they might struggle again next season. They rely on an aging midfield and a striker who doesn’t want to be there. Given past 5 or so years, 60% chance of success.

Arsenal and United, based on the last 10 years, it’s hard to say if you’re here to stay or it’s just a good season. Arsenal specifically have been fortunate with injuries for the most part. They need more depth in the long term.

United.. really really hard to predict. If you compare us now to you last season, it’s about the same for performances but you’ve turned it around. On that basis alone you can’t simply right off Chelsea and say United will keep getting stronger, that’s not how football works and it’s not what you have done in recent history. On top of that you have a potential sale going on in yhe background and that may cause you disruption in multiple are
The biggest difference with United and Arsenal now vs Chelsea now and those 2 clubs previously are the managers, obviously. It's the clear reason for progress, managers who are building something and implementing a dominating style of play, quite successfully. That's the hardest thing to do in football. Pointless to look at the last 10 years under different managers. You look at how they are doing now. Arsenal have the youngest side in the league and are dominating the league. Yeah they probably need more depth but again, they're at 50 points in half a season. And it's deserved! Even if they drop 10 points off that with more fixtures, that's still comfortably a top 4 team (and they very clearly are playing as an elite side). Simply getting some new signings isn't the be all and end all in football. You need a manager who knows what he is doing. Does Potter know what he is doing? Early signs suggest he doesn't.

Now, if your owner wasn't such a big muppet and kept Tuchel, then sure. Chelsea would likely be fighting for the top 4 this season and you'd expect more next season. But you'll have Potter or some unknown in as manager. Best of luck finding one, but it's far from a guarantee you get a good one. Like I said... I'll take you lot seriously if you hire Luis Enrique, but there are not loads of quality coaches out there. And that was the biggest problem that United had the past 10 years, which we thankfully no longer have. And I am very confident in saying that. That's how I see it anyway. You won't be successful without a top coach, no matter who you buy. But especially not when you buy a bunch of young players that need developing and bedding in together.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The biggest difference with United and Arsenal now vs Chelsea now and those 2 clubs previously are the managers, obviously. It's the clear reason for progress, managers who are building something and implementing a dominating style of play, quite successfully. That's the hardest thing to do in football. Pointless to look at the last 10 years under different managers. You look at how they are doing now. Arsenal have the youngest side in the league and are dominating the league. Yeah they probably need more depth but again, they're at 50 points in half a season. And it's deserved! Even if they drop 10 points off that with more fixtures, that's still comfortably a top 4 team (and they very clearly are playing as an elite side). Simply getting some new signings isn't the be all and end all in football. You need a manager who knows what he is doing. Does Potter know what he is doing? Early signs suggest he doesn't.

Now, if your owner wasn't such a big muppet and kept Tuchel, then sure. Chelsea would likely be fighting for the top 4 this season and you'd expect more next season. But you'll have Potter or some unknown in as manager. Best of luck finding one, but it's far from a guarantee you get a good one. Like I said... I'll take you lot seriously if you hire Luis Enrique, but there are not loads of quality coaches out there. And that was the biggest problem that United had the past 10 years, which we thankfully no longer have. And I am very confident in saying that. That's how I see it anyway. You won't be successful without a top coach, no matter who you buy. But especially not when you buy a bunch of young players that need developing and bedding in together.
To be honest Potter cannot be judged when half the team in treatment table. Now he got the backing from our owners its upto him to deliver and keep the job for himself. If not he will be sacked without a doubt.

Now players coming back from injuries with new additions to squad we are not far away from top 4 even this season. Will see. My preferred 11 against Fulham.
Kepa

James Silva badiashile cucu

Gallagher Kovasic

Sterling Mount Mudryk

Havertz

zenith

They seem to have followed a plan to just spend like there is no tomorrow and that seems like a recipie for disaster. Without a proper manager and with such a mess of a squad (albeit with quality). It'll take quite some time to click and that's provided potter is the right man for the job.

Could also do to them what Shevchenko and ballack signings did and throw things completely out of gear.

I imagine getting the squad together on 1 Feb and it'll be like the first day of senior school

Mr Smith

Serious question; are Chelsea fans happy with the way the money is being spent? Do they seriously think this is a good idea? Massive transfer splurges like this almost never work. It didn't work for Spurs when they sold Bale. It didn't work for us in the summer of 2014. It hasn't worked for Everton. It's got clubs like Juve, Real, and Barca into serious financial trouble. They even have plenty of examples of this not working for themselves. If I was a Chelsea fan, this would feel like a massive red flag to me...

bringbackbebe

Serious question; are Chelsea fans happy with the way the money is being spent? Do they seriously think this is a good idea? Massive transfer splurges like this almost never work. It didn't work for Spurs when they sold Bale. It didn't work for us in the summer of 2014. It hasn't worked for Everton. It's got clubs like Juve, Real, and Barca into serious financial trouble. They even have plenty of examples of this not working for themselves. If I was a Chelsea fan, this would feel like a massive red flag to me...
It's worked for Chelsea in the past between 2003-2007 first under Ranieri and then Mourinho. They got a boat load of high profile players in, half of whom were duds who got churned out the next window for another boat load of players. Managerial quality of Mourinho played an equally important role in their success. You can argue the same about City with Guardiola. City spent huge and were okayish but morphed into a world class team a year after when Guardiola landed up.

Up to you whether you think Potter (:lol:) can replicate what Mourinho or Guardiola did. My guess (and I have been wrong several times before) is most of this is money spunked without a plan & it's unlikely they'll keep replicating the same momentum in the next few windows, like Abrahamovich did, once these players fail.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Uneasy for sure. I don’t think anyone is worth their value anymore but £100 mil for 1 player.. it needs to work out. I do reject all the experts on here who say it will 100% backfire though, on the basis that the same experts said the well was about to dry up.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The problem might come from overpriced young players if they have no one in the squad to look up to and to guide them.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
No it's not good idea spending like fool but this January window spending may not be bad in my opinion. Players are young and pacy. Have technical ability and very good in recent form. The glimpse we got in our recent signings Felix,mudryk and badiashile we can see trend is turning with recent recruitments.

Welcome signs are there but have to wait and see.I can see one thing better from Roman that this new owners willing to back struggling manager. Roman would have sacked Potter now but new owners tried to help him out. As of now on paper we have a very good team and its upto manager to prove he can make it work.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think a lot of people are being blinded by the money spent. Since Potter and the Brighton recruitment team and backroom staff arrived, the signings make a lot more sense.

During the summer window, there seemed to be little strategy with Koulibaly, Sterling, Aubameyang etc all arriving, it seemed Chelsea were buying names rather than positions and players to fit a set up. It's no wonder Tuchel fell out with Boelhy.

But this January the signings make a lot more sense, they're young, fast, can all be developed and importantly for Potter can petty much all play more than one position. Felix, Mudryk, Enzo are all very Potteresque signings and Badiashile, Datro Fofana and Santos all show tons of potential. The biggest surprise for me was that Gusto was loaned back, which means even when James comes back, they're still without proper back up in that position.

Also I would not under rate Potter, a lot of posters are writing him off, but he is a very clever, innovative and popular (with players) manager and has always done well. He came into a team that had lost a lot of its dressing room in the summer, gone on a seemingly random splurge in the transfer market and though he did well with them initially he quickly lost a huge percentage to injury. I would bet my mortgage that they'll be challenging next season and wouldn't bet against them scraping into the top 4 this season.

bringbackbebe

I would bet my mortgage that they'll be challenging next season and wouldn't bet against them scraping into the top 4 this season.
Why would we be interested in your mortgage? Your house, I'd get, but mortgage is a liability you're expected to pay off.

Dr. StrangeHate

Uneasy for sure. I don’t think anyone is worth their value anymore but £100 mil for 1 player.. it needs to work out. I do reject all the experts on here who say it will 100% backfire though, on the basis that the same experts said the well was about to dry up.
If people were sure of this they wouldn't be on this thread that much. Chelsea have spent so much that any slip for United or Newcastle will let Chelsea take Top 4. At the 60 min mark you can change half your team and have no drop in quality.

About the well drying up, there is no way any one could have predicted that you would win lotteries back to back. It is like a trust fund kid losing all his trust fund money then getting bailed out by another trust fund. No club has had more money put into it than Chelsea over the last 20 years and been asked nothing in return. I was reading somewhere around 3.5 billion has been poured into the club since Roman. Pakistan a country of 240 million people has less money in the bank than what has been poured into Chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.