Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

The Purley King

I do agree that this chelsea squad is perfect for Pochettino to take over and implement his philosophy, but a lot of their signings address a long term project, while not fixing glaring issue to the first team squad.

The type of project and recruitment being done, seems like Chelsea owner do not want immediate success. If that is the case, the fans and Chelsea board should have patience with regards to Pochettino challenging for a title. Getting players like Caceido, Adam's, vlahovic and olise would address some of the glaring issue though.
Wasn’t there a rule about how many players you could send on loan?
I forget what it was though…..

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
International loans only limited to 8 players. For domestic loans no limit in numbers.
It's down to 7 this summer, and will be 6 next summer. Under 21's and Club trained players are exempt.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn’t there a rule about how many players you could send on loan?
I forget what it was though…..
For this season the loan limit is 7 players who are over 21 and not academy graduates. Then for next season it goes down to six players.

Currently we only have D. Fofana and Angelo out on loan who fall under the loan limits so five places left. Other possible loanees include:
- Gabriel Slonina
- Cesare Casadei
- Lesley Ugochukwu
- Deivid Washington (assuming he signs)

The likes of Lewis Hall, Bashir Humphreys etc. are exempted so won't take a place among the loanee quotas.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

Phew, there was me worried!
So why I said that. But we already got good sponsors in paramount it's reportedly 75mn per year for three years but pl dismissed. Pl will take special care for chelsea related things. So don't worry.

The Purley King

For this season the loan limit is 7 players who are over 21 and not academy graduates. Then for next season it goes down to six players.

Currently we only have D. Fofana and Angelo out on loan who fall under the loan limits so five places left. Other possible loanees include:
- Gabriel Slonina
- Cesare Casadei
- Lesley Ugochukwu
- Deivid Washington (assuming he signs)

The likes of Lewis Hall, Bashir Humphreys etc. are exempted so won't take a place among the loanee quotas.
Thanks for the reply and @GoonerBear
Seems that Chelsea will be ok for this……

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Our shirt sponsor came into existence four days ago....

But it is a rebranding of Tempus Ex

In 2021, Tempus Ex closed a Series B funding round led by private equity firm Silver Lake and Endeavor, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), and appointed Arizona Cardinals legend Larry Fitzgerald to its board of directors.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

- Gabriel Slonina
- Cesare Casadei
- Lesley Ugochukwu
- Deivid Washington
(assuming he signs)

Aren't all those players U21?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This has come out of the blue.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Sanchez as #1 or Boehly licking his lips that he gets to do one more deal ? :p

mav_9me

Tier 2:
Can a chelsea fan explain why are you guys signing these random young strikers? I mean you alread had Broja, Fofana, this Washington guy and another youngster? Even if this is unreliable, having 3 youngsters behind Jackson and then getting Vlahovic?

Not sure I follow what the plan is.

Plastic Evra

I wonder if Boehly, who is a co-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, isn't bringing a baseball understanding and just trying to cram the academy system with as much prospects as possible ? Prospect players are a huge currency in baseball but of course the system of trading players is quite a bit different than in football (though exchanging "cash considerations" happens).

It's not entirely new in European football, he's not the first to use lesser teams as affiliates, but his early moves were buying RC Strasbourg and setting it up as a Chelsea farm team and now gobbling up every young talent he can buy.

I'd like to say this is foolish but brute raw financial power works pretty well in football.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Can a chelsea fan explain why are you guys signing these random young strikers? I mean you alread had Broja, Fofana, this Washington guy and another youngster? Even if this is unreliable, having 3 youngsters behind Jackson and then getting Vlahovic?

Nobody knows what the actual fecking plan is. We tried to justify every transfer but we are running out of words. Spending this much for young players so we have money in our pocket but failed to sign caicedo yet. :lol: .

Probably we will get a clue at the end of this coming season.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder if Boehly, who is a co-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, isn't bringing a baseball understanding and just trying to cram the academy system with as much prospects as possible ? Prospect players are a huge currency in baseball but of course the system of trading players is quite a bit different than in football (though exchanging "cash considerations" happens).

It's not entirely new in European football, he's not the first to use lesser teams as affiliates, but his early moves were buying RC Strasbourg and setting it up as a Chelsea farm team and now gobbling up every young talent he can buy.

I'd like to say this is foolish but brute raw financial power works pretty well in football.
That is what the entire ownership is attempting. In baseball the big signings are often paid for by selling a bunch of young players on long contracts. You keep the few that develop very fast, sell the rest after a few years. It becomes a numbers game. The Dodgers have 7 minor league teams to put all their young talent in for a few years to develop and sell. The owners are trying to close on a Portuguese, Spain, and Brazilian team this year to duplicate what they do in Baseball.

Plastic Evra

That is what the entire ownership is attempting. In baseball the big signings are often paid for by selling a bunch of young players on long contracts. You keep the few that develop very fast, sell the rest after a few years. It becomes a numbers game. The Dodgers have 7 minor league teams to put all their young talent in for a few years to develop and sell. The owners are trying to close on a Portuguese, Spain, and Brazilian team this year to duplicate what they do in Baseball.
Sounds awful.
It's gonna be fun if, luck has it, RCSA cross the path of CFC in an Euro competition or something to that effect (also works for Jassim United v. QSG / Manchester FIChemE v. OGC Ineos). Perhaps our football overlords are confident they will have achieved closed super leagues before then.
Not like I expect UEFA to be anything but impotent anyway.

Ronaldinho's snakebite

I looked up the company documents for Infinite Athlete and it’s owned by a guy called Bodd Toehly.
Honestly this looks dodgy AF

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds awful.
It's gonna be fun if, luck has it, RCSA cross the path of CFC in an Euro competition or something to that effect (also works for Jassim United v. QSG / Manchester FIChemE v. OGC Ineos). Perhaps our football overlords are confident they will have achieved closed super leagues before then.
Not like I expect UEFA to be anything but impotent anyway.
I think if RCSA gain the status of CL club they will sell them with huge profit. It will take two three years for them to get the status. There's enough time to find the new buyers for them.

Football became attractive in middle east in recent years. So not much hard to identify the buyer. Its just my opinion though.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I think if RCSA gain the status of CL club they will sell them with huge profit. It will take two three years for them to get the status. There's enough time to find the new buyers for them.

Football became attractive in middle east in recent years. So not much hard to identify the buyer. Its just my opinion though.
Do you mean Strasbourg playing in the Champions League ? In 3 years ? Surely i'm reading this wrong because that is just not happening :confused:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Do you mean Strasbourg playing in the Champions League ? In 3 years ? Surely i'm reading this wrong because that is just not happening :confused:
Nobody knows leicester could win pl mate. I think for French league blueco investment will be huge. They can create a very good squad. And make no mistake blueco will invest huge for the club infrastructure and their academy as well. Add to that chelsea youngsters from its academy it will become overall good squad to consider in three year time can challenge for cl spot.

Who knows I said in that sense of they will need 3 years minimum to become a cl club till that blueco won't consider that scenario of selling them. If they don't gain cl status it's overall okay for us anyway.

justsomebloke

It is hard to avoid that thought, I agree. But as you say, young talent who's not good enough to play for your team isn't the gilt-edged asset in football that it is in a closed league like the NBA or NHL. At least it hasn't been so far.

Plastic Evra

They finished 6th in 21/22 just outside of European qualification. Chelsea had an off year last season and with the density of competition an Europa or Conference League ranking is not so far fetched. It's an hypothetical but those clubs could meet in all European competitions.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They finished 6th in 20/21 just outside of European qualification. Chelsea had an off year last season and with the density of competition an Europa or Conference League ranking is not so far fetched. It's an hypothetical but those clubs could meet in all European competitions.
The two Red Bull owned teams have played each other in Europe and nobody seemed to care (I think they have different companies officially listed as being the "owner"). I'm imagine there will be some similar bullshit (but legal) thing with Chelsea and Strasbourg.

Plastic Evra

The two Red Bull owned teams have played each other in Europe and nobody seemed to care (I think they have different companies officially listed as being the "owner"). I'm imagine there will be some similar bullshit (but legal) thing with Chelsea and Strasbourg.
As I say, not too surprised if that would be the outcome.

Last edited:

cyberman

Bloat the squad as much as they can.

duffer

Scout

Hope that the good ones eventually pay for the crap ones, either by breaking into the first team (and saving a huge transfer fee) or being sold at a profit.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Aren't all those players U21?
My interpretation is the loan quota exemptions only apply to players who are both U21 and club-trained so just being young isn't enough. Could be wrong but that's my understanding?

If just being U21 is enough then chances are we won't fill any of the 7 loan spots because they're all so young.

duffer

Scout

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So why I said that. But we already got good sponsors in paramount it's reportedly 75mn per year for three years but pl dismissed. Pl will take special care for chelsea related things. So don't worry.
It is quite amusing seeing opposition fans suddenly portray Boehly as someone clever enough to find multiple FFP dodging ways after branding him as an incompetent simpleton for the best part of a year.

Cake and eat it sprigs to mind!

Supports
Chelsea
Kepa situation has me a bit torn. Got meme’d to death for that horrific season but has come back well and was statistically one of the best keepers in the league last season. Stand in captain under multiple managers and seemingly a good professional, well liked in the dressing room.

But from the clubs perspective (or any perspective) we can clearly upgrade, and with him only having 2 years left on his contract now is probably the time to sell. But what good modern goalkeeper is available at the moment? Timing is a but fecked. Had this happened earlier in the summer we could’ve probably gone for Onana.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Kepa situation has me a bit torn. Got meme’d to death for that horrific season but has come back well and was statistically one of the best keepers in the league last season. Stand in captain under multiple managers and seemingly a good professional, well liked in the dressing room.

But from the clubs perspective (or any perspective) we can clearly upgrade, and with him only having 2 years left on his contract now is probably the time to sell. But what good modern goalkeeper is available at the moment? Timing is a but fecked. Had this happened earlier in the summer we could’ve probably gone for Onana.
If Tuchel is truly interested in Kepa, I don't think we can miss this opportunity to offload him. He's definitely improved a lot since 2020 where he had that historically disastrous season but he's not improved enough for him to be good enough to be our long term #1.

I thought we would have to let let his contract expire to get rid him but if Bayern want to pay us actual money for him then the only right answer is 'yes, please take him'.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Chilly is vice captain.

Silva doesn't need an armband to be a leader and it's too soon for Enzo.
You might need to name a Vice vice captain and a vice vice vice captain with both their injury records.