Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ah nice, insulting warning :lol:. That is brilliant. If that constitutes as a insult then many poster who comments on my post will be getting crazy warnings @Solius I think you maybe the mod that gave me this warning..
Enjoy it! There wasn’t ‘being incredibly patronising to an entire forum despite being wrong quite often’ from the drop down menu so I had to go with insulting.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Enjoy it! There wasn’t ‘being incredibly patronising to an entire forum despite being wrong quite often’ from the drop down menu so I had to go with insulting.
Not surprised. Mods are supposed to be impartial. Wasn't being patronizing, but if you see it like that ok.
I think it's a bit simplistic to just say 'the players aren't doing their job', sometimes the answer has to also fall upon the coaching and training methods.
The fact that we are 6 games in and things haven't changed too much for Chelsea would highlight that it's potentially a bit of both.
Not exonerating poch of any blame. I said before that I don't understand why he plays chilwell at lw. I believe the other positional question like enzo at 10 and colwill at left back is due to the supposedly good performance of Gallagher and also to cover for Thiago age. So, I understand why he is doing it, but he is the coach and he needs to drop both Thiago and Gallagher in order to take more risk in the attack (it will be a tpugh call but need to be made). Even with that said, the system poch is using is working because the stats backs it up. One of the areas that the stats doesn't look to favorable is conversion rate. And that is down to their attackers not putting away their chances. So the fault lies 80% players 20% managers in my own opinion.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not surprised. Mods are supposed to be impartial. Wasn't being patronizing, but if you see it like that ok.
We're not supposed to be impartial at all. We act on reports and rule-breaking on the forum.

I guess that is what happens when you understand football.

I haven't seen any intelligent poster on here talk about
chelsea being in crisis because most of them know that such a project especially of that scale will take time. The underlying stats shows massive improvement over last few season and sky and other respected media has time and time again highlighted those stats. On top of that the amount of injuries they have as well. I m guessing if their stats were poor like us and they had no injuries, then those media will be talking more negatively about it.

It is mostly the fans without much footballing knowledge are the one that seems confused.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Not exonerating poch of any blame. I said before that I don't understand why he plays chilwell at lw. I believe the other positional question like enzo at 10 and colwill at left back is due to the supposedly good performance of Gallagher and also to cover for Thiago age. So, I understand why he is doing it, but he is the coach and he needs to drop both Thiago and Gallagher in order to take more risk in the attack (it will be a tpugh call but need to be made). Even with that said, the system poch is using is working because the stats backs it up. One of the areas that the stats doesn't look to favorable is conversion rate. And that is down to their attackers not putting away their chances. So the fault lies 80% players 20% managers in my own opinion.
It's stands to reason that Chelsea will improve at some point moving forward, they have too much quality not to, and I am not going to dispute that the strike force they have is not top quality,

But something is obviously not working currently as they have one win in the league so far,

even if you want to play on the expected goals for/against, using the expected points it would still put Chelsea in 5th place, level with Danny Welbeck led Brighton and Spurs, hardly a glowing endorsement of £2billion so far.

It's incredibly difficult to say Poch has got off to a good start, mainly because he hasn't.

Amadaeus

We're not supposed to be impartial at all. We act on reports and rule-breaking on the forum.
How you apply the rules should be with impartiality though. You can't apply it differently than you do with others.

It's stands to reason that Chelsea will improve at some point moving forward, they have too much quality not to, and I am not going to dispute that the strike force they have is not top quality,

But something is obviously not working currently as they have one win in the league so far,

even if you want to play on the expected goals for/against, using the expected points it would still put Chelsea in 5th place, level with Danny Welbeck led Brighton and Spurs, hardly a glowing endorsement of £2billion so far.

It's incredibly difficult to say Poch has got off to a good start, mainly because he hasn't.
5th for this chelsea team would be a glowing endorsement. You have to remember that they went through an unprecedented overhaul, so typically it would take time for the team to click. Moreover, that investment mostly went into securing young potential talent. It wasn't a team built to challenge now, but in the future. It is the bohley project, so don't ask me why they invested in kids. I think it is a good idea if they mixed it with some experience as well. But I don't believe their fans wants that sort of project because fans always want immediate result.

Champ

How you apply the rules should be with impartiality though. You can't apply it differently than you do with others.

5th for this chelsea team would be a glowing endorsement. You have to remember that they went through an unprecedented overhaul, so typically it would take time for the team to click. Moreover, that investment mostly went into securing young potential talent. It wasn't a team built to challenge now, but in the future. It is the bohley project, so don't ask me why they invested in kids. I think it is a good idea if they mixed it with some experience as well. But I don't believe their fans wants that sort of project because fans always want immediate result.
They haven't invested in kids, Enzo, Mudryk, Jackson, Caicedo, Disasi are all over 21, I wouldn't class them as kids or players with 'potential' really.

It will take time for them to click for sure, but also they should be doing a load better than what they are currently,

Poch will have a huge amount of time with his players on the training pitch, a lot more than EtH, Howe etc due to no European commitments, so really his ideas should be imparted already.

Amadaeus

They haven't invested in kids, Enzo, Mudryk, Jackson, Caicedo, Disasi are all over 21, I wouldn't class them as kids or players with 'potential' really.

It will take time for them to click for sure, but also they should be doing a load better than what they are currently,

Poch will have a huge amount of time with his players on the training pitch, a lot more than EtH, Howe etc due to no European commitments, so really his ideas should be imparted already.
You might be the only one that think that. First time, I heard anyone argue that :lol:. I don't want to list the other 10 u21 players they have signed in that time frame. Chelsea has mostly invested in kids and unproven players.

They are doing well as the stats shows. Much better than Chelsea has been playing the last few years disregarding their point tally. As mentioned time and time again, their conversation rate is poor. If any team had such a conversation rate, they would be in relegation. Which once again speaks to the quality of their attackers and I m not surprised that many 'in the knows' are already talking up chelsea interest in the likes of oshimen or toney because chelsea aren't stupid. They know they have been poor with finishing.

His idea are already showing. That is why they are so dominant in most underlying stats. The problem is their conversion rate and they didn't address that properly in the window. Especially for a team that only scored 38 goals last season and their highest scorer only scored like 10 goals for them

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't know if I'm intelligent or not, but I just looked at Chelsea's last 38 league games. Here it is:
W: 9
D: 10
L: 19

I'm also pretty sure most of the wins were against Bournemouth.

So, it depends really what your barometer for a "crisis" is, but I would say spending half the money on the planet to accrue less points over a season than most teams who get relegated would, is somewhere just past crisis and venturing into "wait why doesn't my parachute chord have a parachute attached to it?" territory.

ShinjiNinja26

I don't know if I'm intelligent or not, but I just looked at Chelsea's last 38 league games. Here it is:
W: 9
D: 10
L: 19

I'm also pretty sure most of the wins were against Bournemouth.
Bu bu but… the underlying stats!!! What’s Pochettino meant to do if he isn’t given the right tools to work with?!

Champ

You might be the only one that think that. First time, I heard anyone argue that :lol:. I don't want to list the other 10 u21 players they have signed in that time frame. Chelsea has mostly invested in kids and unproven players.

They are doing well as the stats shows. Much better than Chelsea has been playing the last few years disregarding their point tally. As mentioned time and time again, their conversation rate is poor. If any team had such a conversation rate, they would be in relegation. Which once again speaks to the quality of their attackers and I m not surprised that many 'in the knows' are already talking up chelsea interest in the likes of oshimen or toney because chelsea aren't stupid. They know they have been poor with finishing.

His idea are already showing. That is why they are so dominant in most underlying stats. The problem is their conversion rate and they didn't address that properly in the window. Especially for a team that only scored 38 goals last season and their highest scorer only scored like 10 goals for them
The only stat that matters is the one in the points column, and that's the one that Poch hasn't been able to deliver on so far.

Out of the 12 signings made this latest window, 7 are aged 21 or above, hardly kids, young yes, but definitely not kids.

Their squad has the youngest average age, but I don't think the team they have been starting are the youngest, I believe that would be Arsenal, and I wouldn't call Arsenal's 11 kids.

They did address their striker position on the window, accordingly to you they signed the most prolific striker in La Liga, so what's the correlation between said striker being prolific to being distinctly underwhelming in every aspect of finishing other than say different coaching and management?

Pickle85

Ah nice, insulting warning :lol:. That is brilliant. If that constitutes as a insult then many poster who comments on my post will be getting crazy warnings @Solius I think you maybe the mod that gave me this warning.

Speaks about the quality of the team. If the chance creation is high, but conversion rate is low, what does that mean? Finishing is poor and the striker/attack quality needs to be reviewed. It is alarming that chelsea are so dominate in most of the offensive and defensive stats, but only have one win. The players are not doing their part.

United of course

What I say is more mature and professional compared to what others say when we play poorly and losses a game. I don't shite on United as much as most fan on here.
In fairness pretty much every post you make risks a 'quality control' infraction.

Amadaeus

The only stat that matters is the one in the points column, and that's the one that Poch hasn't been able to deliver on so far.

Out of the 12 signings made this latest window, 7 are aged 21 or above, hardly kids, young yes, but definitely not kids.

Their squad has the youngest average age, but I don't think the team they have been starting are the youngest, I believe that would be Arsenal, and I wouldn't call Arsenal's 11 kids.

They did address their striker position on the window, accordingly to you they signed the most prolific striker in La Liga, so what's the correlation between said striker being prolific to being distinctly underwhelming in every aspect of finishing other than say different coaching and management?
not going to argue semantic. What constitutes a kid nowadays? The fact remains that chelsea didn’t sign proven players but rather unproven ones that are more like ‘kids’ that needs nurturing and guidance.

the sample size for Jackson was to small. He was prolific that 5 months, but he was still unproven. I wouldn’t say signing a striker that got rejected by Bournemouth, had a good 6 months and not a starter for his last club or country as fixing the attack. Not trying to bash Jackson, because I think he is a good player, just that he isn’t the type of player a top club go after when they need to fix their attack, which is why they are rumored to be in the market for another striker in January.

Champ

not going to argue semantic. What constitutes a kid nowadays? The fact remains that chelsea didn’t sign proven players but rather unproven ones that are more like ‘kids’ that needs nurturing and guidance.

the sample size for Jackson was to small. He was prolific that 5 months, but he was still unproven. I wouldn’t say signing a striker that got rejected by Bournemouth, had a good 6 months and not a starter for his last club or country as fixing the attack. Not trying to bash Jackson, because I think he is a good player, just that he isn’t the type of player a top club go after when they need to fix their attack, which is why they are rumored to be in the market for another striker in January.
6 months is too small a sample size,

Yet 6 games is a perfect sample size to claim Chelsea are better than their stats show.

Right you are.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
More injuries. It’s never ending. We can barely get through a single game these days without picking up a long term injury.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
When you spend £1bn over an eighteen month period and are readying yourself to spend another few hundred million in the next transfer window, you shouldn’t be crying about injuries. You should be wondering where the money went.

Because given a billion, I’d assume even a mediocre sporting director would be capable of putting together a squad with at least 2 if not 3 starting quality players for each position on the pitch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
When you spend £1bn over an eighteen month period and are readying yourself to spend another few hundred million in the next transfer window, you shouldn’t be crying about injuries. You should be wondering where the money went.

Because given a billion, I’d assume even a mediocre sporting director would be capable of putting together a squad with at least 2 if not 3 starting quality players for each position on the pitch.
This is obviously nonsense because you’re talking as if we have 75 first team players just hanging about ready to be drafted into the team. A quick check on wiki and we have 29 players this season but this includes players like Malang Sarr, who is still looking for a new club and some youngsters who aren’t really part of the first team picture in any way. By comparison, Liverpool have a 28 man squad. So we have a around 24-25 first team players 9-10 of which are injured, of which 4-5 players are key starters.

Last edited:

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea

I know exactly where that billion went and by your obtuse take it seems you think it went directly to starting XI ready players. I can assure you, it did not. What you think any sporting director would be capable of, is irrelevant. They could spend it all on 16 year old prospects if they wanted.

cyberman

This is obviously nonsense because you’re talking as if we have 75 first team players just hanging about ready to be drafted into the team. A quick check on wiki and we have 29 players this season but this includes players like Malang Sarr, who is still looking for a new club and some youngsters who aren’t really part of the first team picture in any way. By comparison, Liverpool have a 28 man squad. So we have a around 24-25 first team players 9-10 of which are injured, of which 4-5 players are key starters.
How, in all that’s holy, can you pick out key starters after the 18 months you’ve just had and the season you are already having
There are no key starters. None. Zilch. All that’s happening is that players get better on the treatment table. In an alternative reality 4/5 of the players you have underperforming now are injured and you’re busy telling us how the likes of Jackson and Caicedo being injured are the reason you’re so shit

JimiboyX

Then I think the question of "where has all the money gone?" is completely valid.

If you've spent a billion quid and it gets you a squad that is the same size as your rivals', can't deal with a bad run of injuries and also is in the bottom half of the table, then that is undeniably atrocious.

Also let's not pretend that this isn't an absolutely gigantic gamble from Boehly and co. Some people talking as if it's just standard football practice to invest a billion quid in a load of unproven youngsters and wait for it to "click" and then have massive success. Nobody has ever done it on this scale before; maybe Forest's recent exploits are comparable in terms of player turnover but they've brough in a lot more experience and all they need to do is win enough games to stay in the league. Figuring out which young players are going to cut it and which aren't is problematic at the best of times, hence why they aren't typically pinned down on 8-year contracts. And Chelsea can't afford to linger around in the bottom half for years looking for a gradual upward creep in underlying stats.

Champ

6 games is a perfect sample size to claim chelsea shouldn't be in the position they are in.:confused: when analyzing their performance so far in....... 6 games.
You are using stats that require a larger sample size to be relevant,

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Are we not allowed to play 90 minutes without one of our players going off injured? Mudryk off at half time after playing well.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Still have what feels like an injury curse … but is, when watching the games, an obvious result of players being allowed to run through (or just outright UFC hit us) with little or no reprocussions.

Still growing as a team.

But one thing I can take away from this is the person responsible for giving Colwill a 74 on FC24 …… fired……

Amadaeus

With mudryk, borja and caciedo limping off, they have Too many injuries. Chelsea can't be taken seriously as a top four team till they have a settled 11. It would be scary how this chelsea team plays when they consistently have a settled team. They should invest in their medical department rather than kids :lol:

Joke aside, Even though chelsea won today, it wasn't their best performance. with this clean sheet, it is another stat chelsea are dominant in. They have the second best defense in the league and sanchez has the most clean sheet. How are they not in top four is a mystery to me. Even though it is obvious that jackson and their attackers has been missing too many easy chances, with so many stats they are dominant in that shouldn't matter. Could only imagine what a natural goalscorer would do to this team and how much they will elevate chelsea.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

We did … and they are injured. The guy looking after them, injured. They’re drivers, injured.

Seriously though: there are several positions where we have lost the first two, and in some cases three options to injury. You are talking like we may have just lost a few starters… which means you probably just don’t follow us that closely, which is understandable, and just buy in to the “Chelsea is complete trash” narrative.

It feels like people desperately need what we were trying to do fail, mainstream press included. It’s a little weird really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We did … and they are injured. The guy looking after them, injured. They’re drivers, injured.

Seriously though: there are several positions where we have lost the first two, and in some cases three options to injury. You are talking like we may have just lost a few starters… which means you probably just don’t follow us that closely, which is understandable, and just buy in to the “Chelsea is complete trash” narrative.

It feels like people desperately need what we were trying to do fail, mainstream press included. It’s a little weird really.
Just to clarify. You’re struggling to work out why a club owned by a not very likeable yank businessman that just spunked over a billion quid on new players in two seasons - during a global economic downturn - isn’t more popular?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

It's a big story to write up if we fail. So it's obvious but we also very conservative in using our attacking depth. First four games we used chilwell in attacking areas instead of mudryk. It's really frustrating.

Yes we were good in lot of metrics but scoring goals we failed miserably that's important to win matches. I understand injuries a problem for us but teams that we played not a world beaters either. We should have minimum six more points from the fixtures we played.