Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I checked out Dortmund's subreddit when we appointed Tuchel (those guys are seriously pining after Klopp to come back to them :lol: ) and their mood towards him seemed to be exactly as you said. He's a bit of a difficult guy to get along with but he's great tactically.
Strangest thing is watching his interviews he seems ridiculously humble given his reputation for boardroom wars. For some reason i never heard him speak before he joined us and i assumed we were going to get a spiky distant character infront of the cameras :lol:

But not a bit of it, he addresses his players past and present like their mates aswell (even Neymar).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Strangest thing is watching his interviews he seems ridiculously humble given his reputation for boardroom wars. For some reason i never heard him speak before he joined us and i assumed we were going to get a spiky distant character infront of the cameras :lol:

But not a bit of it, he addresses his players past and present like their mates aswell (even Neymar).
He's very charismatic, in a thoughtful kind of way. The fun starts when he's unhappy about transfers or has to comment on bad results.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's very charismatic, in a thoughtful kind of way. The fun starts when he's unhappy about transfers or has to comment on bad results.
Transfers is the one thing I'm a little sceptical about with him, he doesn't have the best of records in the market and the Hoffmann links are particularly meh.

I think we have a squad full of players that in the right system can be pretty good so hopefully he can coax that out of them.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Transfers is the one thing I'm a little sceptical about with him, he doesn't have the best of records in the market and the Hoffmann links are particularly meh.

I think we have a squad full of players that in the right system can be pretty good so hopefully he can coax that out of them.
I don't think he's been involved in that at any point in time. Guess if he sees vacancies in his squad or lacks a certain type of player in a position, he gave the DoFs a profile but that's about it. The only real transfer I could think of is probably Schürrle and even that's debatable. In Paris he probably had even less of a word than in Dortmund, I guess.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think he's been involved in that at any point in time. Guess if he sees vacancies in his squad or lacks a certain type of player in a position, he gave the DoFs a profile but that's about it. The only real transfer I could think of is probably Schürrle and even that's debatable. In Paris he probably had even less of a word than in Dortmund, I guess.
That's a fair point actually especially regarding Paris as some of their transfers were clearly compromises to the Neymar/Mbappe deals (as in those fees meant they had to go weaker/cheaper in other areas).

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
IIRC and the German members can shed more light on it, at Dortmund he was not happy with selling players that could keep Dortmund at the top and challenge Bayern. It is hard to fault someone for wanting to keep a team at the top and having his best players sold. I would not be happy either.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At Dortmund he complained that the bosses signed guys like Guerreiro and Dembele instead of half the Leverkusen squad.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
IIRC and the German members can shed more light on it, at Dortmund he was not happy with selling players that could keep Dortmund at the top and challenge Bayern. It is hard to fault someone for wanting to keep a team at the top and having his best players sold. I would not be happy either.
He also fell out with the chief squad planner and didn't want him around at the training ground anymore. He's clearly some kind of lunatic.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
At Dortmund he complained that the bosses signed guys like Guerreiro and Dembele instead of half the Leverkusen squad.
I'm going to wager the bet that the Schürrle transfer was also rather his demand than the one of Mislintat or Zorc.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm going to wager the bet that the Schürrle transfer was also rather his demand than the one of Mislintat or Zorc.
Schürrle was supposedly a consolation for not being able to sign Bellarabi.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's a fair point actually especially regarding Paris as some of their transfers were clearly compromises to the Neymar/Mbappe deals (as in those fees meant they had to go weaker/cheaper in other areas).
Definitely. I think I posted something similar a few weeks ago but his team at PSG wasn't perfect for him if you ask me. I believe he would've gladly sacrificed one of the star players for more balance. Only guessing, obviously, but I think he took the job as a chance and for his CV - get a few titles, maybe have a shot at the CL but first and foremost polish his vita enough to qualify for the top jobs.

Yes, he wasn't too happy with it and you could sense the tension in his interviews but it the break really happened over the attack on the team bus.

I believe it had more to do with what was promised and finally done. After all he worked on a very tight budget at Mainz for years. I believe his expectationa weren't fully met.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is that a joke? :lol:
Als offenes Geheimnis galt, dass Tuchel vor der Saison die Spieler Karim Bellarabi, Ömer Toprak und Mo Dahoud zum BVB holen wollte.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/bundesliga-erfuellt-der-bvb-tuchel-den-naechsten-wunsch-1.3388385

Nach Informationen der ‚WAZ‘ wollte [...] unbedingt Karim Bellarabi in den Signal Iduna Park lotsen. [...] Erst danach schwenkte der Übungsleiter auf seinen früheren Ziehsohn Schürrle um.

https://www.fussballtransfers.com/a4220326718040927377-bvb-ist-schuerrle-nur-plan-b

I believe it had more to do with what was promised and finally done. After all he worked on a very tight budget at Mainz for years. I believe his expectationa weren't fully met.
I think it had something to do with Dortmund going after sustainable squad growth, signing what Klopp described as the three most promosing young players on the market that summer. Whereas Tuchel wanted to go all-in on short term success and then feck off somewhere else. Just remember. Complain. About. Dembele. And. Guerreiro. It's absolutely mental from someone who knows as much about football as Tuchel.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Als offenes Geheimnis galt, dass Tuchel vor der Saison die Spieler Karim Bellarabi, Ömer Toprak und Mo Dahoud zum BVB holen wollte.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/bundesliga-erfuellt-der-bvb-tuchel-den-naechsten-wunsch-1.3388385

Nach Informationen der ‚WAZ‘ wollte [...] unbedingt Karim Bellarabi in den Signal Iduna Park lotsen. [...] Erst danach schwenkte der Übungsleiter auf seinen früheren Ziehsohn Schürrle um.

https://www.fussballtransfers.com/a4220326718040927377-bvb-ist-schuerrle-nur-plan-b

I think it had something to do with Dortmund going after sustainable squad growth, signing what Klopp described as the three most promosing young players on the market that summer. Whereas Tuchel wanted to go all-in on short term success and then feck off somewhere else.
Well, what to say.
First, Bellarabi would have been a better signing probably, which isn't saying much.
Secondly, another example of why good coaches don't necessarily make good 'managers' and why sharing and division of competency and responsibilities can be so beneficial.

Jury's out on who got it right with Oliver Torres though.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The guy's got taste, who can blame him

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I think it had something to do with Dortmund going after sustainable squad growth, signing what Klopp described as the three most promosing young players on the market that summer. Whereas Tuchel wanted to go all-in on short term success and then feck off somewhere else. Just remember. Complain. About. Dembele. And. Guerreiro. It's absolutely mental from someone who knows as much about football als Tuchel.
Agree, that's very short sighted.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
What a terrific job he’s done solidifying their defence and getting the players playing with confidence. Look at how they played through *’s initial press with ease all night. It was great to see. Chelsea should’ve scored a couple more, too.

A perfect away performance.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Back in the top 4.

Played Man United, Atletico and Liverpool on the spin and not conceded a goal.

Still a lot to work on but his start has been pretty damn good.

cyberman

Back in the top 4.

Goal scoring seems to be a problem that will slow you down but its the same with Utd. I cant see what 2 other sides keeps us out

Irwin99

Said in the other thread they have some nice fixtures coming up after the Everton game and if the goals don't dry up and the defence stays as it is, they'll get top 4. A great turnaround he's brought about.

duffer

Scout
Goal scoring seems to be a problem that will slow you down but its the same with Utd. I cant see what 2 other sides keeps us out
We're creating some good chances it's just out finishing isn't quite on point (to put it mildly).

I think we'll absolutely batter one of our next few opponents if things click with Werner.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Thought rudiger was fantastic today. Great performance proving the manager right for bringing him back in the side.
all they had ALL GAME was on header that mendy caught easily in like the 85th minute
mount superb also

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Back in the top 4.

Just shows sacking the manager can be the right move after all.

was a big decision dumping frank, well they’ve proved to be right again.

duffer

Scout
Thought rudiger was fantastic today. Great performance proving the manager right for bringing him back in the side.
all they had ALL GAME was on header that mendy caught easily in like the 85th minute
mount superb also
Frank brought him back into the side, Thomas just stuck with that decision.

OleBoiii

Fair play, this is a very good start. Chelsea has the 3rd or 4th best team in the league on paper. With Liverpool having the meltdown of the century they really have no business outside the top 4.

I'm surprised it didn't take him longer, though! Let's see if he can keep it up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great start. I expect them to be a title contender next season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They have a quality well balanced squad. Lampard was really under achieving with them.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I was so damn happy all game to see our attack back. So many chances created. It gives me hope that Tuchel ball is going to be more than a scrappy defense.

copen1945

Chelsea looked good. They should join the race next season. Hopefully, United won't be left behind.

Jackal981

Taking a thread off topic
The difference a good manager makes (directed at all of Ole fans)

Cloud7

They have a quality well balanced squad. Lampard was really under achieving with them.
Don’t let the English media hear you saying that. He was really hard done by by mean old Chelsea and that exotic foreign manager.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
It was a good game, enjoyable to watch, and it was the first 45 minutes of great quality from this new Chelsea.
The fact that it was at Anfield still gives it more value.
The team deserved to go 2 goals ahead at halftime.

I´m not a fan of this 3 CB scheme, but the presence of Chilwell is a major upgrade and the performance of Kante, Jorginho, and Mount was superb.
James also cannot sit on the bench.
Hudson-Odoi has earned his place but probably in the spot of Ziyech, Pulisic, or Havertz as none of the 3 are even close to good form.
And in that Tuchel has to dedicate himself because we are going to need them.
In this and the recovery of Werner's confidence, because everything seems to happen to him, but no one questions his quality.

Although we didn't receive goals, when I see our defense I can't be calm, although today they are just compliments, I trembled a few times with Christensen and Rudiger.

We continue to create few chances and score few goals, which is why this model seems too conservative, but I know that I speak against the results.

I hope that we will continue to improve and move up the table.
Today was a good night.

L1nk

But doesn’t a manager require 5 years and 500million to spend on his own players before a manager stamps his authority on his team? He’s playing with a bunch of players from multiple different managers and he’s doing well, how is this possible?

Jackal981

But doesn’t a manager require 5 years and 500million to spend on his own players before a manager stamps his authority on his team? He’s playing with a bunch of players from multiple different managers and he’s doing well, how is this possible?
Because he is not clueless :D