Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
More like Fraudchel am I right guys?!

I’m surprised he took charge of this game literally 2nd day on the job, but I guess Frank took all his staff with him and importantly his mate Jody who could have seen this game through before leaving. Obviously doesnt help.
All of Franks coaching staff are still there. Only Lampard and assistant manager Morris left.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don't watch a whole lot of Chelsea, but do they really need both Kovacic and Jorginho in the team? They seem to perform pretty much the same role as deep-lying playmakers, but without much penetration and certainly no goal threat. Seems to be a big part of Chelsea's lack of creativity tonight. At least Mason Mount will provide a threat from range and try to get into the box.
Jorginho has a far better passing range than Kovacic, which might prove important because Tuchel likes his team to play long diagonals. Kovacic needs to carry the ball to be effective generally.

And re: Mount, I personally don't think he can play in a midfield pairing. He's almost an obligate 8 at this point.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't watch a whole lot of Chelsea, but do they really need both Kovacic and Jorginho in the team? They seem to perform pretty much the same role as deep-lying playmakers, but without much penetration and certainly no goal threat. Seems to be a big part of Chelsea's lack of creativity tonight. At least Mason Mount will provide a threat from range and try to get into the box.
Goal threat isn't really the responsibility of midfielders in his system. He's similar to Guardiola in that regard, at least pre-City. I guess if he had a de Bruyne in his squad it might be different but in general, Kovacic and Jorginho fit his style pretty well. Especially Jorginho might be a match made in heaven. He had a player like this at all his clubs. Geiss at Mainz, Weigl at Dortmund and Motta at PSG.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Solid start, a lot of possession, some good chances, Havertz looked different player. Nice touch to Chilwell who should have hit the target.

Wolves didn't have an attack till 70th minute and pretty sure was offside.

If we can keep our defense tight and control games like that attack will click too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Solid start, a lot of possession, some good chances, Havertz looked different player. Nice touch to Chilwell who should have hit the target.

Wolves didn't have an attack till 70th minute and pretty sure was offside.

If we can keep our defense tight and control games like that attack will click too.
It was good to have the high press back. We turned the ball over in their half over 10 times, maybe over 15 times. That was encouraging to see.

Hudson-Odoi was the man of the match by a mile for me. Such a little gem this guy. Havertz looked very positive. Chilwell's chance - the through ball/dribble and then cut back/square pass into the box - is the kind of chance Tuchel teams create in bulk, he'd probably have preferred Chilwell setting up Havertz for that chance though.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It was good to have the high press back. We turned the ball over in their half over 10 times, maybe over 15 times. That was encouraging to see.

Hudson-Odoi was the man of the match by a mile for me. Such a little gem this guy. Havertz looked very positive. Chilwell's chance - the through ball/dribble and then cut back/square pass into the box - is kind of chance Tuchel teams create in bulk, he'd probably have preferred Chilwell setting up Havertz for that chance though.
According to Tuchel, we had 16 recoveries in the final third. Personally I thought our approach was really positive - we haven't controlled a game like that since Sarri. Havertz looked a different player - really lends some credence to the reports that Lampard wasn't actually doing much individual coaching.

The concern for me was that Ziyech and Giroud were quite poor - hopefully Tammy gets more minutes in this sort of system. Also the furor over Mount seems quite silly when you consider that Werner didn't even come off the bench - a hallmark of Tuchel's sides is extensive squad rotation and I'm hoping he correctly identified the Chelsea players in need of a rest (Pulisic falls into this camp as well).

Overall I don't think you could ask much more - given the circumstances I thought Tuchel did an outstanding job of putting us in a position to win the match.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Hudson-Odoi was the man of the match by a mile for me. Such a little gem this guy. Havertz looked very positive. Chilwell's chance - the through ball/dribble and then cut back/square pass into the box - is kind of chance Tuchel teams create in bulk, he'd probably have preferred Chilwell setting up Havertz for that chance though.
There was one situation in which I believe Chilwell had the chance to cut it back to Havertz who was waiting unmarked around the penalty point but instead tried to square it in front of goal. It was deflected towards Havertz then who only could take a deflected shot himself. Once those automatisms start working, I guess you'll see more clear cut chances. Given how defensive Wolves aligned themselves, I think you created an okayish amount of finishes already.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I have been one of the very few who wanted Tuchel at United. Ole has my full support and he managed to get us into a surprisingly good position and there is hope he continues learning.
However, Tuchel is on another level when it comes to tactics and footballing knowledge compared to Ole and also Lampard and I expect Chelsea to become a really good side once everything clicks.

simplyared

Thought Chelsea looked better in last nights game than they have done for a while. Impressed by his post match interview. Speaks better English than Klopp and gave some fair comments reflecting on the game. Not judging him just on that but I think he'll be a good fit for Chelsea. Reckon he'll do well. Certainly an interesting addition to the PL. Glad he's here!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Goal threat isn't really the responsibility of midfielders in his system. He's similar to Guardiola in that regard, at least pre-City. I guess if he had a de Bruyne in his squad it might be different but in general, Kovacic and Jorginho fit his style pretty well. Especially Jorginho might be a match made in heaven. He had a player like this at all his clubs. Geiss at Mainz, Weigl at Dortmund and Motta at PSG.
Unh?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I thought the shape was interesting, quite similar to ways that Guardiola has sometimes played and what Arteta was trying when he first arrived at Arsenal. 3-2-2-3 in possession, with Chilwell left wing, CHO right wing, and Havertz/Ziyech as the creators playing between the lines on the left and right. It didn't quite come off but it was at least a very different idea than what Lampard was doing and to me it seems like a setup in which Havertz and Ziyech might thrive.

I don't think Giroud is the striker for this setup, but maybe not Tammy or Werner either. Tuchel kept the wing players so wide at times that there was an enormous amount of ground in the middle to cover. That opens space for the creators to burst into but I think to really make it work you need a mobile CF who can drag the defense around then receive the ball to feet and do something useful with it, like play a wall pass back to one of those creators.

This is probably only one tactical set among many that Tuchel tries out. But its definitely not a setup for Reece James. I also wonder where Werner fits. There is essentially no left wing player so its central striker or nothing for him.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
I have been one of the very few who wanted Tuchel at United. Ole has my full support and he managed to get us into a surprisingly good position and there is hope he continues learning.
However, Tuchel is on another level when it comes to tactics and footballing knowledge compared to Ole and also Lampard and I expect Chelsea to become a really good side once everything clicks.
I don't watch Ligue 1 but I watched couple CL games of Paris. Tuchel deserves way more Credit for his performances. I didn't really see a game where Paris was tactically outplayed. Some might think about Bayern but in fact Paris could have (and maybe should have) scored twice at the beginning of the game.
His solid defensive approach makes it hard for opponents to score and the individual class of Neymar, Mbappe and DiMaria lead to goals (which they often got 1 more that the opponent).
Another interesting factor is that he has with Kante a type of player similar to Verratti already in his team.

Only I'm a bit worried for Werner. I don't really see him fitting in any role currently.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I thought the shape was interesting, quite similar to ways that Guardiola has sometimes played and what Arteta was trying when he first arrived at Arsenal. 3-2-2-3 in possession, with Chilwell left wing, CHO right wing, and Havertz/Ziyech as the creators playing between the lines on the left and right. It didn't quite come off but it was at least a very different idea than what Lampard was doing and to me it seems like a setup in which Havertz and Ziyech might thrive.

I don't think Giroud is the striker for this setup, but maybe not Tammy or Werner either. Tuchel kept the wing players so wide at times that there was an enormous amount of ground in the middle to cover. That opens space for the creators to burst into but I think to really make it work you need a mobile CF who can drag the defense around then receive the ball to feet and do something useful with it, like play a wall pass back to one of those creators.

This is probably only one tactical set among many that Tuchel tries out. But its definitely not a setup for Reece James. I also wonder where Werner fits. There is essentially no left wing player so its central striker or nothing for him.
James would be in the back 3 in yesterday's type of setup competing with Azpi.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
James would be in the back 3 in yesterday's type of setup competing with Azpi.
But does that role really play to James' strengths? I haven't watched him a ton but my impression is that he is at his best when going forward and but has some issues with his defensive positioning and discipline. There's no reason Tuchel can't change things around but I can see why Azpi would be preferred in this specific kind of setup.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But does that role really play to James' strengths? I haven't watched him a ton but my impression is that he is at his best when going forward and but has some issues with his defensive positioning and discipline. There's no reason Tuchel can't change things around but I can see why Azpi would be preferred in this specific kind of setup.
He played that role at youth level (to accomodate Lamptey and Sterling) and it was while in that position his development shot up to the point he was considered by far our best product, he also played there for England recently. He even played CB in a back two for Wigan at Elland Road and according to every Leeds fan i asked played like a man possessed.

While i appreciate first team level is a whole different ball game to youth, i definitely think he can be excellent in that RCB position.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No idea if any other clubs do this...
We used to have drills like that when I was a kid. My coach was a big fan of Brazilian football - he claimed that Pelé and Garrincha improved their technique by playing with oranges (or grapefruits - or whatever it was).

Anyway - the theory was that if you can control a smaller ball effectively, you can control a bigger one all the more effectively.

No idea whether it has merit as a coaching method on the highest level - but the idea itself doesn't seem crazy as such.

ShinjiNinja26

I don’t know if this has been covered already but how come Tuchel didn’t have to self isolate for 2 weeks like Cavani did despite not being in a club bubble for the last couple months?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He played that role at youth level (to accomodate Lamptey and Sterling) and it was while in that position his development shot up to the point he was considered by far our best product, he also played there for England recently. He even played CB in a back two for Wigan at Elland Road and according to every Leeds fan i asked played like a man possessed.

While i appreciate first team level is a whole different ball game to youth, i definitely think he can be excellent in that RCB position.
Ahhh, I didn't know any of that. Thanks!

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I don’t know if this has been covered already but how come Tuchel didn’t have to self isolate for 2 weeks like Cavani did despite not being in a club bubble for the last couple months?
Maybe he was already in London ?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The BBC said...

Tuchel will not be exempt from coronavirus quarantine rules but will be granted an exemption by the Football Association to attend matches and training should he test negative before entering the UK, and then do so once again to enter a Premier League club's bubble.

Did Man United get refused an exemption or did they not think to ask?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think the country you are coming from plays a big factor in any exemption given so it may not be comparing apples to apples.

ShinjiNinja26

The BBC said...

Tuchel will not be exempt from coronavirus quarantine rules but will be granted an exemption by the Football Association to attend matches and training should he test negative before entering the UK, and then do so once again to enter a Premier League club's bubble.

Did Man United get refused an exemption or did they not think to ask?
Im not to sure. I just know from what I’ve read he had to self isolate for 2 weeks and was unable to train with the team until after that. It said anyone coming in from France had to adhere to the current coronavirus guidelines. So whether it’s dependent on which country their coming from I don’t know but that shouldn’t really matter, where has Tuchel been living recently?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No idea if any other clubs do this...
Probably, playing with a smaller ball improves your touch as it's harder to control. Is why should also be done with young age groups.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Im not to sure. I just know from what I’ve read he had to self isolate for 2 weeks and was unable to train with the team until after that. It said anyone coming in from France had to adhere to the current coronavirus guidelines. So whether it’s dependent on which country their coming from I don’t know but that shouldn’t really matter, where has Tuchel been living recently?
I read he was at his place in Munich with the family at the time he got sacked at PSG. No idea if he stayed there the whole time but I'd assume he did.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Sorry for the double post but German media outlets reported he indeed just entered the UK the day before the match. He was allowed to enter the PL "bubble" because of his negative testing before leaving GER and entering the UK and because of some sort of special ("elite") status of the PL granting them right for this kind of special treatment but he do has to stay in quarantine following the regular coronavirus guidelines as soon as he leaves the PL "bubble" = e.g. once he leaves training ground/stadium and goes home.

Reactions: Cheimoon

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Micah Richard: "Something about his (Tuchel) appointment doesn't sit right but I won't write him off"

Yes, because he replaced your sacked mate

Micah Richard: "What have Chelsea seen in Tuchel that convinces them he will outwit Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp over the course of a 38-game season?"

What did they see in Lampard to beat those two to the league title?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Micah Richard: "Something about his (Tuchel) appointment doesn't sit right but I won't write him off"

Micah Richard: "What have Chelsea seen in Tuchel that convinces them he will outwit Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp over the course of a 38-game season?"

If Roy Keane said that, Micah would be in hysterics

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

It's actually quite disgusting how the media are targeting him. As much as i think the stance of some of my fellow fans has been wildly OTT they've all realized that it's not Tuchel's fault and he's simply accepted a job offer and have directed no anger towards him. Some fans outraged by Frank's sacking are despite their emotions very excited by Tuchel.

Harry Redknapp's comments especially were utterly mindblowing, for a (ex) manager to so openly disrespect a colleague like that is just unbelievable and beyond the pale.