Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Apokalips

It’s genuinely incredible what he’s done with Lampard’s squad.

One of the best examples of elite coaching I’ve ever seen.

What a transformation.
Shuts up those weirdos that think every manager needs to come in and tear apart a squad to make things work. Players can look trash under one manager, but then a better coach can come in and transform the squad...who knew?!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
You have impeccable timing.
I don’t get what you’re referring to. I’m genuinely lost.

I posted what I posted from watching the game and also as it’s yet another example of a top-class Chelsea performance which is purely down to the coaching being of a world-class level. These same players were languishing under the previous manager and now are playing like the best team in Europe, all inside 6-12 months of a managerial/coaching change.

That’s pretty much all there is to it; absolutely no agenda on show or anything to do with ‘impeccable timing’. (It was 0-1 when I posted original bump, for what it’s worth, if that’s what you’re referring to?)

Raw

Really envious of how Chelsea sort out their issues relatively quickly. Can go from midtable level performances to CL and PL winners in a season or two.

Swedish_Plumber

It should be a simple case of our board looking at the Tuchel situation and realising what needs to be done.

He’s been phenomenal for them. Even if he falls out with the board in 18 months time, they’ve won a CL and look a great bet for the title this season. Well worth it in my opinion.

Godfather

I don't get how we managed to look past him. No wait I do. Because we are run by a bunch of clowns that hang to managers out of pure nepotism.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It should be a simple case of our board looking at the Tuchel situation and realising what needs to be done.

He’s been phenomenal for them. Even if he falls out with the board in 18 months time, they’ve won a CL and look a great bet for the title this season. Well worth it in my opinion.
It's not even Tuchel alone. The CL before that was won by Bayern/Flick, which is a bit a similar situation (getting rid of a manager out of his depth mid season, replacing him by someone who gets the squad and finds a way to make them a winning machine). So one can not even say "this is exceptional, it hasn't been done before and won't be replicated" - it happened two years in a row.

Loon

:lol:
I don’t get what you’re referring to. I’m genuinely lost.

I posted what I posted from watching the game and also as it’s yet another example of a top-class Chelsea performance which is purely down to the coaching being of a world-class level. These same players were languishing under the previous manager and now are playing like the best team in Europe, all inside 6-12 months of a managerial/coaching change.

That’s pretty much all there is to it; absolutely no agenda on show or anything to do with ‘impeccable timing’. (It was 0-1 when I posted original bump, for what it’s worth, if that’s what you’re referring to?)
That's what I was referring to, mate. No malice intended. The second Chelsea scored I knew there'd be another bump praising him whilst lamenting our own position.

Then I thought you meant you were not even watching the game when bumping the thread, which spawned the timing comment!!

Swedish_Plumber

It's not even Tuchel alone. The CL before that was won by Bayern/Flick, which is a bit a similar situation (getting rid of a manager out of his depth mid season, replacing him by someone who gets the squad and finds a way to make them a winning machine). So one can not even say "this is exceptional, it hasn't been done before and won't be replicated" - it happened two years in a row.
That’s a good point! I believe it applies more to united as well because of the talent in the squad we don’t even really need a manager of Tuchels ability.

If we could a manager even just below the standard of Pep, Klopp or Tuchel then we might be in business for a major trophy. Seems we’ve resigned ourselves ti writing off the season though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
They look like a quintessential title challenger. Play at a canter with clear gears to go up

Nevermind the razzmatazz; it's sides like this, who exert such calm and control that teams will have to be better than to win the league.

izec

Tuchel dominating Rodgers' Leicester tactically.
Rodgers is not good enough either. Between him and the best, there are levels.

But what is important for the board is that he is good enough to bring us top 4 every year for a good period. But CL and league title will be far away, as he is not the answer to Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
But what is important for the board is that he is good enough to bring us top 4 every year for a good period. But CL and league title will be far away, as he is not the answer to Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.
That's the worrying part. If our board give him, for example, a year and a half contract and brutally sack him if he is not good enough that would be fine with me. The problem is him doing just enough to be in the job, but not challenging. Which he is capable to do.

izec

That's the worrying part. If our board give him, for example, a year and a half contract and brutally sack him if he is not good enough that would be fine with me. The problem is him doing just enough to be in the job, but not challenging. Which he is capable to do.
That is exactly what they want. An upgrade on Ole, someone for mid term that gets us CL football regularly.

Ole will only be sacked if CL qualification is in danger. So you know what they are looking at. After 3 years and no trophies, they are not looking for that in the first place.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Rodgers is not good enough either. Between him and the best, there are levels.

I really don't think that it's true because the investments don't match that goal, the club spend too much for top 4 being the calculated goal because in that case we are grossly overspending. I think that it's a bit more sinister and comes back to the PL proven or in general preference for known quantities, to me this board is afraid of taking risks and making mistakes, they are also not ready to accept and fix their mistakes quickly.

So someone like Rodgers is a risk like Ten Hag or like Tuchel may have seemed a year ago but Rodgers has the benefit of being a known quantity in the PL and they see it as a comforting quality. The same applies to Pochettino and before him Moyes or Mourinho.

PoTMS

I really wish our club was more like Chelsea. And before you speak of unlimited funds bankrolled by Abramovich, which club has the higher net spend over the last 10 years? I'm pretty sure it'd be United.

izec

I really don't think that it's true because the investments don't match that goal, the club spend too much for top 4 being the calculated goal because in that case we are grossly overspending. I think that it's a bit more sinister and comes back to the PL proven or in general preference for known quantities, to me this board is afraid of taking risks and making mistakes, they are also not ready to accept and fix their mistakes quickly.

So someone like Rodgers is a risk like Ten Hag or like Tuchel may have seemed a year ago but Rodgers has the benefit of being a known quantity in the PL and they see it as a comforting quality. The same applies to Pochettino and before him Moyes or Mourinho.
Rodgers is not a risk for top4, but he is not someone you hire if you want to win the league. I agree that they want stability, comfort and less risk, but trophies look to me like a bonus, and not a requirement.

Lecland07

Turns out you don't need season upon season to turn a team into title challengers. Tuchel is truly kicking that myth to death.

Less than one season in charge, he has won the Champion's League, reached the FA Cup final, and has Chelsea at the top of the table with a 6-point gap.

mu4c_20le

Turns out you don't need season upon season to turn a team into title challengers. Tuchel is truly kicking that myth to death.

Less than one season in charge, he has won the Champion's League, reached the FA Cup final, and has Chelsea at the top of the table with a 6-point gap.
Chelsea have always been title challengers.

RooneyLegend

It’s genuinely incredible what he’s done with Lampard’s squad.

One of the best examples of elite coaching I’ve ever seen.

What a transformation.
The telling part is that Lampard almost had people convinced that their defenders are trash and now they have the best defence in Europe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea have always been title challengers.
Not last season. Or the season before. Or under Sarri. Or Conte's second season. Or Mourinho's second season. Actually only one serious title challenge in last 6 years when they won it in 16/17 so Tuchel is doing o.k really considering many would still have Man. City as favourites and Liverpool started season right in the mix.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Rodgers is not a risk for top4, but he is not someone you hire if you want to win the league. I agree that they want stability, comfort and less risk, but trophies look to me like a bonus, and not a requirement.
Rodgers is absolutely a risk for top 4, he may guarantee Europe League participation with likely top 6-7 finishes.

mu4c_20le

Not last season. Or the season before. Or under Sarri. Or Conte's second season. Or Mourinho's second season. Actually only one serious title challenge in last 6 years when they won it in 16/17 so Tuchel is doing o.k really considering many would still have Man. City as favourites and Liverpool started season right in the mix.
You're thinking of really close challenges, down to the last weeks. Let me put it this way, they've been much better than us, and well run. They are always in the discussion every year, and actually win trophies along the way. And are always there or whereabouts in the CL as well.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
It’s easy to look at Chelsea’s purchases but it’s the strength of the academy that is significant.

Of the 13 outfield players that we saw from Chelsea today 5 were from the academy add to that another on the bench who didn’t get on the field.

Add to that in the last transfer window selling academy products bought in enough fund to buy Lukaku.

Around the corner big decs will have to be made about Gilmour , Borja and Gallagher in addition there a couple of youngsters out on loan in the Championship that look to be in with a decent chance of making it

My point is that that glass ceiling was only broken because Lampard was confident enough to trust the academy.

lloyd2wayne

It's not that impressive, Leicester this season have lost to Arsenal, West Ham and City by a combined scoreline of 1-7
It’s not that impressive yet this same Leicester team beat us 4-2 not long ago. World class mangers like Tuchel make it look easy I know.

Sviken

Tuchel is a testament to how integral elite coaching is to a good football team. He's basically taken over the same squad Lampard had and made them title favortes and CL winners in zero time. Even though it's Chelsea, I can't help but feel happy. Our problems are not that deep as suggested. We do not need another 5 world class players to compete, we just need one world class manager.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I get all that, I get it. I have been Ole out since we lost in Istanbul. My question is why are you downplaying Chelsea’s win to make our lose look good?
I'm downloading Chelsea's win not to make our loss good, I'm doing so because no one was waxing lyrical about Arsenal, West Ham or City after they beat Leicester. Chelsea and Ole can both be downplayed :D