Chelsea given two-window transfer ban | Free to sign players in January

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Because its January and they are all complicated deals. Its not as if Chelsea are suddenly the only side with money and the world is their oyster.
Plus didnt Roman pull back on spending before you were banned?
Depends how you define cutting back.

Compared to 03-05? Obviously but in general terms not really, we just recruited quite badly circa 15-17.

The penny pinching narrative was ran by Conte and his acolytes who were trying to excuse his failings in the second season.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
To clarify for a few posters here, CHO and Pulisic both play on the left. They both can play either side but the vast majority of the time they play LW. So Sancho/Zaha/Ziyech would replace Pedro. Willian has been very solid this season but has very little end product and is out of contract this coming summer.

A young, super talented, English RW like Sancho fits perfectly into the profile of our current vision. I think our only chance at him, though, is to pull a Pulisic and get him before a bidding ward starts next summer.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Boo. fix russian interference etc. seriously, there go our January targets

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/12/06/chelsea-football-club-statement-on-appeal-verdict

The club seems quite annoyed by the treatment from FIFA, mentions double standards in relation to Real and City.

I’m a bit concerned by some of the names we’ve been linked with. Ake in particular is as mediocre as it gets, I’m also not a big fan of Chilwell either. Better keeping the cash for the right players instead of spending for the sake of it, see Bakayoko/Drinkwater.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/12/06/chelsea-football-club-statement-on-appeal-verdict

The club seems quite annoyed by the treatment from FIFA, mentions double standards in relation to Real and City.

I’m a bit concerned by some of the names we’ve been linked with. Ake in particular is as mediocre as it gets, I’m also not a big fan of Chilwell either. Better keeping the cash for the right players instead of spending for the sake of it, see Bakayoko/Drinkwater.
Obviously, I don't know all the facts but on the face of it, I'm not surprised Chelsea are pissed.

Basically, FIFA said Man City were let off with a small fine because they accepted it ("sorry sir, won't happen again sir"). Also, City argued the toss until they were treated under newer rules.

Whereas Chelsea were found guilty because they disagreed with FIFAs findings (partly as they'd asked the FA to check they were ok and told yes?) and it now seems that FIFA may have been wrong.

Don't see the point of these type of rules (which were put in for a very good reason) if some offences are deemed "better" than others. If you break the rule, it should be a ban and the only question should be the length of the ban.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

Ake has been very good at Bournemouth. Probably their best player and the perfect modern CB. I just don't see him as the instant upgrade that we'd need to justify bringing in another CB.

Chilwell is awesome, though. He's going to be one of the best around soon enough. I feel like there will be a huge bidding war between the Manchester clubs for him in the summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why is it a forgone conclusion that they'll sign anyone in Jan?

The January market is still a tough time to get players you really want so it seems to me this appeal was more out of principle than the urgent need to really sign anyone

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I don't want to sign anyone in January, unless someone leaves.
We could do with another left back if there's one available. Also wouldn't mind getting rid of Barkley and replacing him with anyone. Obviously do the Sancho deal if it's possible as well.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ake has been very good at Bournemouth. Probably their best player and the perfect modern CB. I just don't see him as the instant upgrade that we'd need to justify bringing in another CB.

Chilwell is awesome, though. He's going to be one of the best around soon enough. I feel like there will be a huge bidding war between the Manchester clubs for him in the summer.
Wouldn't Ake qualify as home grown? He'd be an improvement on Zouma I think, battling it out with Tomori to partner Rudiger. And yes, Chilwell is a top left back. They'd offer us the same improvement as they would you lot.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We could do with another left back if there's one available. Also wouldn't mind getting rid of Barkley and replacing him with anyone. Obviously do the Sancho deal if it's possible as well.
I think Barkley's place will be taken by Conor Gallagher.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn't Ake qualify as home grown? He'd be an improvement on Zouma I think, battling it out with Tomori to partner Rudiger. And yes, Chilwell is a top left back. They'd offer us the same improvement as they would you lot.
He would qualify as home grown and he might be a decent option, but frankly I don't think he's 40m better than Zouma who has come on by leaps and bounds this season. This is just speculation, but I still feel like Christensen is the likeliest CB to leave, so if Chelsea were to find a buyer and Ake were to take his place I'd be all for it. Ake can play LB in a pinch as well and he's much less frail than Christensen.