Chelsea under Conte | Let's sign the next Hazard, literally.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Exciting 10 days coming up! It'll either end as a good transfer window or an excellent one.

AshfordLad

Then new ideas, old ideas don't matter much?
So now any outcome is supposed to depend on just one variable? Child logic.
His theory is that the grind of top level management causes a manager's ideas to become dated. Somehow applying those ideas at smaller clubs keeps them fresh.
Yeah cruising through shit leagues (I assume) should be stress free for the elite managers we are discussing. Do you think Mourinho was under more pressure at Porto or Chelsea? Poch while at soton compared to now. Beginning to think you're just taking the piss here rather than genuinely believing what you're going on about.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
A lot of psychologists in this forum I see. I work in the mental health field and would never make such accusations such as him being a narcissist, sociopath or even worse, a fecking serial killer. Its easy to be a keyboard psychologist though. WEBMD makes us have PhD's though and all..

PS: Yeah im fecking salty because that mentality causes stigma and damages the field that I work in for people who actually need the help. Its ignorant as feck and it shows a lack of respect toward mental illness and the people suffering from personality traits.

//triggered.

Last edited:

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea
Tbf you haven't. Some morons have though. Not sure what they have been watching.
Quite quick to label other people's opinions as moronic based on his brief appearances in a United shirt. The "morons" talking about Matic have watched his every minute for the last two seasons. It's very fair to say that he didn't move forward with much purpose or drive in that time.

But it seems as though he's found some extra motivation for you guys! So enjoy it, and hopefully it lasts.

TheReligion

Abusive
Quite quick to label other people's opinions as moronic based on his brief appearances in a United shirt. The "morons" talking about Matic have watched his every minute for the last two seasons. It's very fair to say that he didn't move forward with much purpose or drive in that time.

But it seems as though he's found some extra motivation for you guys! So enjoy it, and hopefully it lasts.
The Chelsea rose tinted specs on here are just getting rather irritating at the moment. I do apologise. We have just heard alot of tripe lately from some of your bunch such as Matic is useless, Mourinho gets found out by younger managers as you never really wanted Lukaku despite offering 75+m pounds for him.

Sometimes it's best for people to just be humble.

ti vu

What I'm referring to more has to do with the concept of the spare man in defense. Almost all teams will keep 3 men back to defend whilst in possession. In a team with a four man defense where the fullbacks push up, there is almost always a midfielder designated to sit deeper to break up play in the middle of the park whilst the centre halves will naturally push a bit wider to cover the space left by the FBs. This is the role that Matic is tailor-made for. In a system with 3 CBs, this role doesn't really exist-obviously the 3 CBs will sit deep to cover, so the two CMs in the 3-4-3 have to push further up the pitch. This put Matic out of his comfort zone, so for Chelsea he was a bit of an awkward fit and hence this is why Bakayoko makes a bit more sense as a player who is more comfortable moving vertically as well as horizontally.

I think this is why Luiz won't be playing in midfield as opposed to Bakayoko-I'd expect Chelsea's midfield in a 3-5-1-1 to be Kante-Fabregas-Bakayoko, which looks an awful lot like the very successful Conte Juventus midfield of Pogba-Pirlo-Vidal. I believe that this match was the highest percentage of long balls played by Chelsea under Conte for that very reason-to bypass Spurs' very effective pressing game. For me the gameplan today was about mucking up the middle of the pitch as much as possible-last season when Spurs got a lot of joy against us at WHL it was due to their superior pressing and pace in midfield, and they were able to exploit Matic's limitations to some extent by overrunning him.
First part is fair points, but it's not entirely true since Matic was not just sit. He moved up the pitch quite much, but his role was static as to balance out the robust Kante & David Luiz.

Fair points again. It's too soon to draw any conclusion, but just said that Bakayoko was ineffective with his passing this game, which is the points other posters point out, which you were trying to dismiss. I don't disagree on the tactic part.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
First part is fair points, but it's not entirely true since Matic was not just sit. He moved up the pitch quite much, but his role was static as to balance out the robust Kante & David Luiz.

Fair points again. It's too soon to draw any conclusion, but just said that Bakayoko was ineffective with his passing this game, which is the points other posters point out, which you were trying to dismiss. I don't disagree on the tactic part.
Yeah absolutely, he doesn't sit to the extent that Makelele did or, say, Busquets does, but it's definitely where his strengths lie and I don't think it's wrong to suggest that's where he's most comfortable. He seems to be at his best when he can focus on moving laterally to snuff out danger as opposed to advancing forward and back regularly.

Fair point re: Bakayoko's passing. If it came across as though I was suggesting that he had been good at it, that wasn't my intent. What I was trying to convey was that him being in possession was almost certainly not part of the gameplan, given the nature of the opponent, his fitness, and that it's his first game with his new teammates.

The Chelsea rose tinted specs on here are just getting rather irritating at the moment. I do apologise. We have just heard alot of tripe lately from some of your bunch such as Matic is useless, Mourinho gets found out by younger managers as you never really wanted Lukaku despite offering 75+m pounds for him.

My apologies as well if I've caused offense; I know we've had disagreements but you seem an upstanding bloke.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
A lot of psychologists in this forum I see. I work in the mental health field and would never make such accusations such as him being a narcissist, sociopath or even worse, a fecking serial killer. Its easy to be a keyboard psychologist though. WEBMD makes us have PhD's though and all..

PS: Yeah im fecking salty because that mentality causes stigma and damages the field that I work in for people who actually need the help. Its ignorant as feck and it shows a lack of respect toward mental illness and the people suffering from personality traits.

//triggered.
Thank you!

AlwaysRed66

I know many of us are probably pleased a rival Spurs have lost points, but personally I would rather they had beaten this disgusting Chelsea team, with their arrogant players & manager. I must be one of the few who can't stand that smirking idiot Conte, & would love them to lose every game just to see his reaction. He is up there with Klopp in the disliked stakes.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea

Don't worry I'm sure he's watched Matic closely for all of 3 games so he must know more than the Chelsea fans who have watched him week in week out for years. Idiot.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

//triggered.
Given your concerns about stigma then, it doesn't help that you used the word 'triggered', ironically or not.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I know many of us are probably pleased a rival Spurs have lost points, but personally I would rather they had beaten this disgusting Chelsea team, with their arrogant players & manager. I must be one of the few who can't stand that smirking idiot Conte, & would love them to lose every game just to see his reaction. He is up there with Klopp in the disliked stakes.
One of the few? What are you talking about. He's constantly hated on and mocked on this site.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I don't really mind Conte. I find him far less irritating than Klopp and Pep, and more irritating than Poch and Wenger. He's mid-tier level irritation, a bit like an itchy rash.

D2Z

Supports
Given your concerns about stigma then, it doesn't help that you used the word 'triggered', ironically or not.
Triggering occurs when any certain something causes a negative emotional response. So yes, it is ironically/mockingly written due to what has been said in this thread.

SteveJ

Scout
Triggering occurs when any certain something causes a negative emotional response. So yes, it is ironically/mockingly written due to what has been said in this thread.
Right. Still, it's not a good look in a post complaining about thoughtless, amateurish observations and social stigma.

SteveJ

Scout
Being able to make thoughtless and amateurish observations is what makes Redcafe my safe space.
:lol:

Yeah, I'm making a petty point really, it's true. It just looked out of place, that's all.

D2Z

Supports
That is the point SteveJ.... Its meant to look out of place to show you it in my perspective. Obviously it worked since its caught your attention with what it was meant to do.

SteveJ

Scout
Fair enough, if indeed that's so.

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea

Best get used to it I think, that's the way it goes with fans. Always trying to one up each other!

You'll find that a lot of fans (myself included) were irritated with Matic even last year because he was okay but not spectacular for us. So I think you'll have to forgive some people if they said he was useless (though that is a bit harsh) when signing for United. But it just seems that the different role in your team and maybe more enthusiasm in general is making him very impressive again so far.

And yeah I don't care to get drawn into Mourinho vs Conte, Lukaku vs Morata, etc, etc. They're all good and working out for their respective clubs.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Best get used to it I think, that's the way it goes with fans. Always trying to one up each other!

You'll find that a lot of fans (myself included) were irritated with Matic even last year because he was okay but not spectacular for us. So I think you'll have to forgive some people if they said he was useless (though that is a bit harsh) when signing for United. But it just seems that the different role in your team and maybe more enthusiasm in general is making him very impressive again so far.

And yeah I don't care to get drawn into Mourinho vs Conte, Lukaku vs Morata, etc, etc. They're all good and working out for their respective clubs.
Matic was brilliant alongside David Luiz and Oscar in 2014, up until Atletico exposed us in that semi final -- feck knows what Jose was thinking playing Azpi as a right winger.

Yeah maybe the key for Matic was a 3 man midfield, he's decent with the ball at his feet but his agility and slow turns could possibly be exposed by a good manager. Herrera alongside him with the workrate he brings is very ideal, I'm not sure how far they'll get in Europe but i can't see them finishing below top 2 this season.

tommkell

I like some things about Conte, but I can't stand bad winners. He's the type of manager that, if Chelsea were playing a charity match against st Benjamins hospital paraplegic 11 would be going fecking bananas as Fabregas drills one in from 70 yards to make it 67-0 in the 20th minute. Probably sprinting past the opposition manager fake laughing his bollocks off and slyly flipping him/her (doesn't matter) the bird. I could be wrong about him but he comes across as an utterly classless cnut.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I like some things about Conte, but I can't stand bad winners. He's the type of manager that, if Chelsea were playing a charity match against st Benjamins hospital paraplegic 11 would be going fecking bananas as Fabregas drills one in from 70 yards to make it 67-0 in the 20th minute. Probably sprinting past the opposition manager fake laughing his bollocks off and slyly flipping him/her (doesn't matter) the bird. I could be wrong about him but he comes across as an utterly classless cnut.
I think you're going way over the top with this criticism. He has a passion for the game. I'm sure you remember Jose running down the touch line when Porto scored against Utd in the CL. He also has a passion for the game. Making out Conte would enjoy beating disabled people is just sick. I suggest you reel in that imagination.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Why would Chelsea shave him after his first very successful season?

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Shaving Conte would be a cruel and unusual punishment for Conte. Chelsea have been ruthless with managers in the past but we'd not stoop that low.
But what happened? Why is it even a possibility?

fellaini's barber

Have no issues with Conte at all, only time he pissed me off was that ' Mourinho season' comment which was just unnecessary. Between him, Pep and Klopp he's the least to be annoyed about

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Already confirmed by Matt law and various strong Chelsea journo's that the tuchel rumour is completely fabricated. Also hearing Chelsea would have to pay a huge fee to sack him so think its very unlikely, the only way is if conte walks away from it. Which I don't think will happen as he appears likely and I think we will have another good season.

Sad Chris

If people are so worried about correct social behaviour, maybe a footy forum is not the place you should be spending your time.

I come to this place to have a break from all social restraints, my job, my wife, my kids, my boss and have a good laugh and a bit of banter at the same time.

Also I'm well known for high quality posts second to none.

SirMattBugsby

Shaving Conte would be a cruel and unusual punishment for Conte. Chelsea have been ruthless with managers in the past but we'd not stoop that low.
Already confirmed by Matt law and various strong Chelsea journo's that the tuchel rumour is completely fabricated. Also hearing Chelsea would have to pay a huge fee to sack him so think its very unlikely, the only way is if conte walks away from it. Which I don't think will happen as he appears likely and I think we will have another good season.
The situation looks similar to the one that got Mourinho sacked. If the players stop responding to Conte, what is he going to do? The Spanish/Brazilian contingent might not be impressed with the way he treated Costa.

I don't know if things have changed with Terry leaving, but player power has often been a major factor in Chelsea's managerial decisions. I'm not saying it will happen, but Conte needs to be careful. Let's see what tactical innovation he makes this time :smirk:

Needham

You must admit though that the way he fell about laughing at Costa's continued ostracisation was absolutely chilling.