Chiellini and Bonucci

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You clearly have no idea what a horse collar can do, as I thought.

Chiellini blindsiding someone running at pace, being a good 3 stone heavier, performing a horse collar could easily have done serious damage. As I said, Saka falls differently and this is a different conversation.

There's no need for any false equivalences - it's a horse collar, which shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch.
:lol: Please stop saying horse collar.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This isn’t a new thing. Shirt pulling has been part of football forever. At every level. Even kids football.
Point at hand to my post above. You're balling all shirt pulls into a bunch. They are categorically not the same. If horse collaring was a regular thing, there would soon be serious injuries resulting from them on a football pitch. And worse for kids who have no clue how to break their fall or instinctively plant themselves correctly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If anyone can show me an example at top level football where a player has been sent of for pulling a shirt (for violent conduct, not stopping a goalscoring opportunity), I'd be impressed.
First of all, you'd have to collate a number of incidents like what Chiellini did. Can you do that?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
First of all, you'd have to collate a number of incidents like what Chiellini did. Can you do that?
People get pulled down by their shirts all the time. Maybe not as aggressively (though we've seen people have their shirts ripped) but it's still all within the realms of shirt pulling

The onus here is to prove that there's precedent for a shirt pull to be a sending off... Which there simply isn't.

Member 101269

People get pulled down by their shirts all the time. Maybe not as aggressively (though we've seen people have their shirts ripped) but it's still all within the realms of shirt pulling

The onus here is to prove that there's precedent for a shirt pull to be a sending off... Which there simply isn't.
1) there is no onus
2) youre seeking a precedent, precedents are themselves a starting point

If you went on REFs forum, the majority are saying its a red card offense, some say the only reason a red wasnt given was because its a final. It seems in REFs minds this is a red card precedent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
1) there is no onus

If you went on REFs forum, the majority are saying its a red card offense, some say the only reason a red wasnt given was because its a final. It seems in REFs minds this is a red card precedent.
I would love to see this.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
1) there is no onus

Great. Since this definitely happened and is not made up, perhaps you can share some of the arguments the refs make for why it was a red card offence?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
That pull back on Saka was so ridiculous I can't help but admire it.
Hilarious - and perfectly executed. Good strong fabric in those England shirts. Wonder if teams start to design papery shirts that leave the last ditch guys with a handful of fabric? I guess Adidas wouldn’t go for it?

SoCross

Came to say that Chiellini should probably retire from international football, go out at the top but didn’t realise the World Cup is so close by.

And what on Earth is a horse collar in football.

LoneStar

It was a joy to watch them in action. Classic defending. You could see them cheer for each other and celebrate every clearance and tackle. Great case study for leadership skills as well.

Hammondo

He was great on the ball and defended like a hero. Also that professional foul was as good as it gets. I dunno how he could have done it better.