Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thiago Silva did the same stupid thing in QF World Cup nonetheless, stupidly blocking Gk taking a goalkick, thus rendering him playing in the SF. And he's one of the best CB in the world. As a poster said, footballer: shit happens.

POF

Really? Rio was not made captain because at that time he started to suffer too many injuries; Ferguson wanted someone who played more or less every match as captain.

Vidic was also made twice the player he was because of Rio, no doubt. He struggled with certain players, even at his prime. Rio didn't.
Rio would have been captain instead of Gary Neville if he'd shown the leadership qualities. He and Rooney were clearly signed with the intention of being future leaders of the club. Neither showed the appropriate credentials under Fergie to be made permanent captain.

Who did Vidic struggle against? He had one poor game against Torres of which a ridiculous amount was made because it was so unusual. Rio struggled against any physical player. Players like Drogba, Ferguson, Kevin Davies, Andy Carroll, Crouch, etc. always caused him problems but were rarely a threat vs United when Vidic played. Even Messi beat him in the air to score in the CL final.

As for Vidic being made twice the player he was because of Rio? Look at how well the Vidic/Evans partnership performed. Now look at how well Evans has played since Vidic left. When you have a really top class defence you never worry when the opposition attack. That was the case when Vidic played. When he didn't the general feeling was bricking it every time the opposition crossed the half way line.

I've not been on here long but I am genuinely surprised at how highly rated Rio is here.

POF

I don't think this is true. I remember Messi's header being uncontested.
Exactly. Rio completely lost him. I don't mean he out jumped him. Just that he scored with a header when Rio was "picking him up".

Ekeke

Outstanding at the back today, particularly in the 2nd half. In the first half De Gea saved us multiple times, in the second half Smalling did

He made 16 clearances today. 16! 5 interceptions, 1 tackle, 1 blocked shot and won the ball in aerial duels 4 times

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Fantastic. Covered for both McNair and Blackett, both of whom looked out of their depth.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not surprising that he was solid today. Blackett and McNair are inexperienced (though McNair did well) so the pressure was all on Smalling to not only put in a good shift himself, but organise the other two in a different formation with no proper FBs.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Performing so well in a chaotic match is good, but he's not shown earlier or today that he's 1st choice quality.
Could still be, but we need someone who is now, not in a couple of years.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where as we saw the worst of Smalling against City, today he showed his absolute best. He was a giant there today, and his pace against Welbeck 1 on 1 shows exactly what he can do. He was the difference today IMO.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
While our defence was weak at the start, he was generally solid throughout. Big improvement from him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
That second half performance was massive. One of the best I've seen from him.

Ekeke

Performing so well in a chaotic match is good, but he's not shown earlier or today that he's 1st choice quality.
Could still be, but we need someone who is now, not in a couple of years.
Now like... As in today?

As in the match he just played?

Where he was the best CB on the pitch and probably our best player?

FromTheBench

When you have to defend like this he's pretty good.

When he gets on the ball he's limited and invites pressure.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
welbeck made him look like the second coming of Paul McGrath! jokes aside, he is our best CB by a country mile when fit and on form.

DevilRed

Did well and was as solid as can be under the circumstances.

Lets face it though, we were all over the place at the back for most of the match until our lucky goal.

Credit to the young defenders for almost keeping a clean sheet though. Amazing what a little confidence or luck can do. You could just see the difference in our defending and approach.

Mad Winger

I think Smalling and McNair could be our best partnership for now. I want them to play until we sign a couple of top class CBs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Back to his more usual level of performance today. Really excellent centre half, and for both United and England's best centre half.

#SmallingPlusOne (or two, on occasions).

SteveW

Beast. Hopefully it will mean a break from hearing people explaining why they trust Blacket and McNair more or why he should be sold. Carried them through the game today.

It would also be nice if people would just accept him for the excellent defender he is and stop nitpicking cos he's not fecking Pirlo. He's as good on the ball as Vidic was. That should be enough imo. Outstanding performance today.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not? He is far ahead Jones and Evans.
Arguably.
And non of those, including Smalling is good enough at the moment if we were aiming to challenge for the title.
The board here is still not in agreement on who out of Jones, Smalling and Evans is the best, you saying he is far ahead of the other two just doesn't seem right at all.

Now like... As in today?

As in the match he just played?

Where he was the best CB on the pitch and probably our best player?
Best player?
You didn't notice the keeper who had to save the defenses arse so many times?
As in this match, where he played with two youngsters who are only in the team because we're having serious injury problems?
Smalling did well today, but he hasn't showed that he is be a world class centre-back, which is what we should be aiming at having.

If Van Gaal wants to give them time then i'm all for it, they can become good enough to challenge for the title as key-members of the squad, but at the moment none of our defenders are at that level.

SteveW

Rio would have been captain instead of Gary Neville if he'd shown the leadership qualities. He and Rooney were clearly signed with the intention of being future leaders of the club. Neither showed the appropriate credentials under Fergie to be made permanent captain.

Who did Vidic struggle against? He had one poor game against Torres of which a ridiculous amount was made because it was so unusual. Rio struggled against any physical player. Players like Drogba, Ferguson, Kevin Davies, Andy Carroll, Crouch, etc. always caused him problems but were rarely a threat vs United when Vidic played. Even Messi beat him in the air to score in the CL final.

As for Vidic being made twice the player he was because of Rio? Look at how well the Vidic/Evans partnership performed. Now look at how well Evans has played since Vidic left. When you have a really top class defence you never worry when the opposition attack. That was the case when Vidic played. When he didn't the general feeling was bricking it every time the opposition crossed the half way line.

I've not been on here long but I am genuinely surprised at how highly rated Rio is here.
I don't get how anyone can fail to see how good Ferdinand was. Get some videos of him at his best and educate yourself.

Ekeke

Arguably.
And non of those, including Smalling is good enough at the moment if we were aiming to challenge for the title.
The board here is still not in agreement on who out of Jones, Smalling and Evans is the best, you saying he is far ahead of the other two just doesn't seem right at all.

Best player?
You didn't notice the keeper who had to save the defenses arse so many times?
As in this match, where he played with two youngsters who are only in the team because we're having serious injury problems?
Smalling did well today, but he hasn't showed that he is be a world class centre-back, which is what we should be aiming at having.

If Van Gaal wants to give them time then i'm all for it, they can become good enough to challenge for the title as key-members of the squad, but at the moment none of our defenders are at that level.
The keeper who will be dissappointed by the goal he conceeded?

Smalling doesnt need to be a world class CB. He just needs one next to him. He can be an almost world class out and out defender as long as the guy next to him is a good defender and can play the ball as well