Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The keeper who will be dissappointed by the goal he conceeded?

Smalling doesnt need to be a world class CB. He just needs one next to him. He can be an almost world class out and out defender as long as the guy next to him is a good defender and can play the ball as well
Are you freaking serious?
He conceeded? The whole team conceeded. It wasn't Arsenal vs De Gea (though it looked like it on multiple occassions), and if so you should really put some blame on the 3 centre-backs & 2 wing-backs supposed to defend him.
It was a good shot by Giroud which De Gea almost had.

And thats really besides the point. De Gea saved what, 5-6 goals (exaggeration maybe) today and you chose to rate smalling over him today based on the fact that one of shitloads of chances went in?

Evans have proven that he can be a "good enough defender" if put next to a world class one before, just for your information.
Jones also have put in great shifts. There really isn't much separating them except for their different strengths and weaknesses.

SteveW

Arguably.
And non of those, including Smalling is good enough at the moment if we were aiming to challenge for the title.
The board here is still not in agreement on who out of Jones, Smalling and Evans is the best, you saying he is far ahead of the other two just doesn't seem right at all.

Best player?
You didn't notice the keeper who had to save the defenses arse so many times?
As in this match, where he played with two youngsters who are only in the team because we're having serious injury problems?
Smalling did well today, but he hasn't showed that he is be a world class centre-back, which is what we should be aiming at having.

If Van Gaal wants to give them time then i'm all for it, they can become good enough to challenge for the title as key-members of the squad, but at the moment none of our defenders are at that level.
There are not many better defenders around when it come to stopping the other teams from scoring. He dominates strikers in the air and on the ground. He's not a graceful footballer but defensively he's very sound. He will be a world class defender and an ok footballer. That's what Vidic was and it seemed to work out fine for him. Smalling is substance over style imo which works against him in today's game where defenders who can't defend get big names and reputations.

Ekeke

Are you freaking serious?
He conceeded? The whole team conceeded. It wasn't Arsenal vs De Gea (though it looked like it on multiple occassions), and if so you should really put some blame on the 3 centre-backs & 2 wing-backs supposed to defend him.
It was a good shot by Giroud which De Gea almost had.

And thats really besides the point. De Gea saved what, 5-6 goals (exaggeration maybe) today and you chose to rate smalling over him today based on the fact that one of shitloads of chances went in?

Evans have proven that he can be a "good enough defender" if put next to a world class one before, just for your information.
Jones also have put in great shifts. There really isn't much separating them except for their different strengths and weaknesses.
Its not besides the point, it is the point. It was the one dissappointing thing about his performances, which lets other people into the reckoning for man of the match. If he deals with the shot he's nailed on like you suggest. He didnt and will feel that having got his hand to a shot that wasnt right in the corner, he could have done more

As for Evans, yes he was able to be carried by a Rio or Vidic near their best holding his hand. Smalling doesnt need that. He just needs someone as good as he is, but better at using the ball

Smalling's current performances are better than Evans ever were

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Its not besides the point, it is the point. It was the one dissappointing thing about his performances, which lets other people into the reckoning for man of the match. If he deals with the shot he's nailed on like you suggest. He didnt and will feel that having got his hand to a shot that wasnt right in the corner, he could have done more

As for Evans, yes he was able to be carried by a Rio or Vidic near their best holding his hand. Smalling doesnt need that. He just needs someone as good as he is, but better at using the ball

Smalling's current performances are better than Evans ever were
This is so true. Had a good game vs. Chelsea, now a great game vs. Arsenal, very happy for him.

He really did look like the most experienced CB we had out there tonight. Led by example and dealt with everything they threw at us. It's amazing how quickly opinions change. A few games ago they wanted him gone for good. Now he's gone from zero to hero again.

We've seen good performances from him before but the most important for him is to sustain it. He is potentially a fixture in our starting 11 if he keeps his concentration and eradicates those brain farts he has.

ghagua

Great performance from Smalling. This is the sort of performance he is capable of if he can stay fit. Now we need to get another center back to pair up with.

ThanksBoss26

I've been very critical of him this season but that was much better today. Took responsibility back there with two youngsters alongside him and the tackle on Welbeck was an excellent bit of defending.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
His defending in the second half was excellent.

However, his inablity to cope with any sort of pressure when in possesion is still a big worry. Even worse is his passing. Anything other than the simple obvious pass is beyond him. This is a huge weakness for the whole team as it stops us from controlling the ball and our build-up play becomes non-existent. Doesnt matter how good you are at defending if you keep giving it away its going to keep coming back and hurt you eventually.

Skills

Snitch
Was worried that sending off against City would affect him because it was just so uncharacteristic. But he's easily the most talented defender at the club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's just so good at not being beaten by pacey forwards. Must be an absolute cnut in training to try to get past.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He was very good today but his passing is still a mess. In the last five minutes when Carrick moved to CB you could immediately see how Carrick could use his let foot to make a simple pass rather than shift his whole body around like Smalling does. Also he is 25 now and playing with the two kids he needed to show more authority and calm them down a bit in the first half hour. Overall though he did very well.

Walters_19_MuFc

That's the Smalling I know. Thought he was great today.

Anyone got a GIF of when Welbeck was running through on goal and Smalling made a vital tackle? It was near the closing stages of the game, IIRC.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think Welbeck himself said that when he was here, and that he was glad he doesn't have to play against him. Physically he's got everything.
"I would have to say Chris Smalling is the most difficult to get past in training. He’s one of our fastest players and can rival most of the forwards for pace.

"He also reads the game really well and is always in the right place at the right time, clearing up any danger.

"I’m just glad that I get to play with him for both United and England. I’d hate to play against him!"

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...malling-is-the-toughest-manchester-united-de/

Blue always red

His defending in the second half was excellent.

However, his inablity to cope with any sort of pressure when in possesion is still a big worry. Even worse is his passing. Anything other than the simple obvious pass is beyond him. This is a huge weakness for the whole team as it stops us from controlling the ball and our build-up play becomes non-existent. Doesnt matter how good you are at defending if you keep giving it away its going to keep coming back and hurt you eventually.
Vida was also very poor at distributing the ball under pressure, he'd opt to smash it out of play most times. His saving grace was that he had Rio next to him who could shift it.

Ekeke

He really did look like the most experienced CB we had out there tonight. Led by example and dealt with everything they threw at us. It's amazing how quickly opinions change. A few games ago they wanted him gone for good. Now he's gone from zero to hero again.

We've seen good performances from him before but the most important for him is to sustain it. He is potentially a fixture in our starting 11 if he keeps his concentration and eradicates those brain farts he has.
If only.

Pretty sure those asking for him to be sold a week or two ago still want him sold. Today's very good performance, and any performance any footballer could ever give probably wont change that. He's not fancy enough, he's Chris Smalling so they'd prefer someone else

Ekeke

He was very good today but his passing is still a mess. In the last five minutes when Carrick moved to CB you could immediately see how Carrick could use his let foot to make a simple pass rather than shift his whole body around like Smalling does. Also he is 25 now and playing with the two kids he needed to show more authority and calm them down a bit in the first half hour. Overall though he did very well.
The thing is he can't run out of position and go do Blackett's job on the left. Thats not how it works. Thats how people get free time in our box for easy goals

The nervous defending was with the kids, not with Smalling.

SambaBoy

He was quality today, showed good leadership skills as well, seemed to be commanding McNair and Blackett at times. Obviously people raise question marks about his ability on the ball but I don't really care about that aslong as he can defend first and foremost. The distribution was difficult from the back tonight due to the 3 at the back, in a flat back four, it is much simpler to give it to your other CB or full-back but in a 3 there's less room and sometimes they have to make difficult passes which is why LvG must favour that sort of personnel.

FromTheBench

Is it me or whenever we've played the 3 man defence so far the central defender has looked the best ? Atleast defensively.

Maybe barring 1 game.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's just so good at not being beaten by pacey forwards. Must be an absolute cnut in training to try to get past.
Welbeck said he was the toughest CB to play against in training. You might want to consider a username change!

kundalini

Super defensive play. Seems incapable of taking any responsibility when he's in possession, instead putting Blackett and McNair in awkward situations.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Imperious second half... but then he's more then capable of performances like this, he just needs to be consistent.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The broken record carries on. Defending generally spot on, but really fails when bringing it out.

Can't fault him today overall. Second half he absolutely dominated Welbeck.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Vida was also very poor at distributing the ball under pressure, he'd opt to smash it out of play most times. His saving grace was that he had Rio next to him who could shift it.
He still showed a lot more composure than Smalling does imo. He was a good decion maker under pressure and new when to take the safe option ....but only as a last resort. Smalling takes the safe option 9 times out of 10.

But your right its about finding a balance I suppose and his partners today didnt help at all. Felt like none of them completed a single pass between them in the first half.

Ibi Dreams

Imperious second half... but then he's more then capable of performances like this, he just needs to be consistent.
Very hard to be consistent when you're injured all the time and in and out of the team with different partners. But none of that is really his fault. I think that again, he showed he's our best defender. Just needs to stay fit and cement his place, which unfortunately seems a pretty tall order

Brightonian

Super defensive play. Seems incapable of taking any responsibility when he's in possession, instead putting Blackett and McNair in awkward situations.
There's no question that he's not good on the ball, but we could have minimised the effects of that weakness by playing a proper midfield in front of him instead of an extra CB next to him. Add Herrera as another high-energy midfielder always looking for the ball and there's always going to be an extra person for Smalling to distribute the ball to when he's in possession.

SirAF

Ageist
He was immense in my eyes! Give him a an extended run without injuries, and I'm certain that he'll nail that right CB spot.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Great to see him come back from his moment of idiocy the other week. Some United fans wanted him out then, for shame!

I believe in him bigtime. Reminds me of Pally.

marlowe78

Glad to see him bounce back from the City match, when he was slated by many including me.

His abilities to defend are without doubt. We always knew he had them.

The main issue is fitness. Will he be able to play a long stretch without getting hurt? I hope he will but I just don't see that happening with the way things are at United these days.

Kounan

Is it me or whenever we've played the 3 man defence so far the central defender has looked the best ? Atleast defensively.

Maybe barring 1 game.
I thought the same, always very good.

Still, think that Smalling is our best CB and really i think that defensively he can become WC. His distribution isn't the best, but i still think that his abilities as a defender are superior than what we could get with someone who can play, but can't defend that much (which strangely is very popular today and people often start talking about superior defenders even if they are actually average).

ZDwyr

Was really good, really solid. He owed us a good performance and he delivered. If he can keep fit (fingers crossed) he will do well here I think. Handled Welbeck comfortably. He never gets flustered and handles everything really well. Our best CB atm.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
After the first 20 or so minutes I can only think of one time where Welbeck got in behind him and was able get a knock back header uncontested. Did good other then that, still a bit shit on the ball though.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Funny reading comments of people who had a different view of him as a player after the City match.

NoPace

He's good in the penalty area and excellent at defending large spaces when the other team counters.