6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Kag

I've given up. I genuinely thought our defenders would stay fit and step up to the plate after years of playing out of position and not all that often this season. I was completely wrong. We need quality reinforcements as soon as January.

Roboc7

Had few good games and showed some promise but inevitably gets injured, same story with jones, evans and smalling, it's just boring now and needs to be rectified by two new signings. We look a complete mess at the back and the next few games suddenly look a lot harder.

Dyslexic Untied

The core of most SAF sides was a stable center back pairing. Smalling probably won't ever be able to form part of one.

DevilRed

What else to expect of smalling and jones. They have a good run of form then get injured. What a difference our defense looked when he went off though. Him and jones clearly have ability but if they can't stay fit it's just going to be difficult for them to progress.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Massive loss IMO. His pace and power have bailed out our defence a lot this season, barring City. Evans doesn't have the same presence, he's smaller, not as quick and looks less assured. Its thrown the whole back line out of whack losing Smalling. Couldn't believe it when he went down after nothing more than a slip.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Can anyone say they were surprised to see Smalling go off injured? Seeing our defenders go off injured has become the norm now, and I fully expected this to happen before the match, and that's probably the worst thing about it all.

SirAF

Ageist
Hope he's back against liverpool, Smalling is our best defender. Can't fathom what his body is made of though, his record is appaling.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I was telling a work colleague earlier today about us having 40+ injuries this season and he thought I was over-exaggerating...

Surely we're on 45+ injuries now? An injury every 4/5 days.

It's ridiculous.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We shat the bed without him. It's only typical that he was going to get injured after 3 really good games.

itso 7

And here I was thinking he had turned a page, alas as soon as Evans got fit it was Smalling's turn. We desperately need one good defender next month if we want to consolidate our position.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Was thinking.. "Smalling looks our best defender now, so confident and someone to potentially build the defence around... but he's injured so often that you can't rel..."
5mins later...Injured.

Waste of time, we need 2 CB's brought in over the next 2 transfer windows.

Sam

Was thinking.. "Smalling looks our best defender now, so confident and someone to potentially build the defence around... but he's injured so often that you can't rel..."
Injured.

Waste of time, we need 2 CB's brought in over the next 2 transfer windows.
Its got to the point with him and Jones where I can't even bring myself to be annoyed.

Its just so fecking predictable.

Sid234

Badly missed his presence at the back once he came off. Evans really needs a run of games to be fit in the first team before he's anywhere near being reliable at the back and McNair got exposed because Soton closed him down quickly from the start, forced him to make mistakes and lose his cool!

Rossa

I'm the biggest Smalling fan, but if you cant stay fit, you simply have to go after a while.
I'm there with you. I think he's brilliant, when fit, but United cannot keep hoping for him to stay fit. Hopefully it's not something that will keep him out of play for long. He's so important for us now; just look at how we struggled in the air after he came off, and his ability to read the game is also unparalleled in our squad (bar Carrick).

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Its got to the point with him and Jones where I can't even bring myself to be annoyed.

Its just so fecking predictable.
It's all too predictable yea, you knew he'd go down.. maybe not today but within 2-3 more games, you'd bet your house on it
but personally still ended up swearing lividly at the tele.

Last edited:

Rossa

Badly missed his presence at the back once he came off. Evans really needs a run of games to be fit in the first team before he's anywhere near being reliable at the back and McNair got exposed because Soton closed him down quickly from the start, forced him to make mistakes and lose his cool!
Fact is that Evans lacks the physical presence of Smalling and that is something we miss without him. We lost too many duels today.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
When was the last time when he was fit enough for more than 5 games at a stretch?

Good defender, horrible injury record. I don't know how long can we keep waiting for him to get over his injury issues.

caid

When was the last time when he was fit enough for more than 5 games at a stretch?

Good defender, horrible injury record. I don't know how long can we keep waiting for him to get over his injury issues.
I figure till the end of the season personally.
We should really be trying to pick up a cb in january because the 3 of them are made of glass.
Any that dont stay fit for the rest of the season replace.

Good defender, its a pity.

Ekeke

Up until this season his fitness was better than Evans or Jones, which isnt saying much but the answer is last season. Last season he was fit for more than 5 in a row

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We can make do with revolving defenders for the remainder of this year, then buy a very good CM in the summer. Smalling, Evans, Jones, Rojo, McNair, and Carrick are more than capable of carrying the water until then.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Really hope he's back in time for the scousers. Deluded, I know but we need all we can against the irrepressible Lambert.

ZDwyr

Showed again why he is our best defender. We were an absolute rabble without him. As soon as he went off all composure was lost. Hopefully the injury is not too bad. You could see the disappointment in his face because he was just starting to put some games together. Really, really unfortunate.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Johnny Evans is back, Smalling breaks down. Jones gets back and Evans is done. Rinse and Repeat.

Bojan11

Why is it when one of our returning defenders is on the bench then the one starting gets injured? No doubt Jones will be on the bench next game and Rojo will get injured.

Damn you @Red Katie

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Get rid of him, Jones and Evans.

Don't care if he has potential, or quality. Useless if he can't stay fit.

Said before the season started that it was ludicrous to base your defence on them three with their histories, it's proven to be true.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Get rid of him, Jones and Evans.

Don't care if he has potential, or quality. Useless if he can't stay fit.

Said before the season started that it was ludicrous to base your defence on them three with their histories, it's proven to be true.
And then buy THREE new defenders we have to integrate into the squad? Do you even? I don't even...

Sylar

Wouldnt be surprised if he left and never got an injury again. Its not just him though is it? With the number of injuries that our players keep getting, rather than the players, something deeper should be looked at. Training? Food habits? Anything else? Must be something.

Also thought he was looking our best CB the last few games and it was nice to see him CB rather than RB.

VanGaalEra

Losing my patience with him. It's even more frustrating after his recent form. Looked so much more solid with him in the team.

ZDwyr

Wouldnt be surprised if he left and never got an injury again. Its not just him though is it? With the number of injuries that our players keep getting, rather than the players, something deeper should be looked at. Training? Food habits? Anything else? Must be something.

Also thought he was looking our best CB the last few games and it was nice to see him CB rather than RB.
That's what I keep thinking will happen too :lol: