Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Seems weird to say he has so much potential but he really does. If he could just stay fit and injury free... he has everything you'd want.. bar the personality. He needs to develop a rock solid mentality to be the player he can be.. his natural talent is incredible.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
He's probably our best natural centre back but it's the brain farts and injuries that keep detailing his career. If he could curb that for at least an entire season (or the rest of this one at least), then you can see him becoming an integral part of our future defence.

ZDwyr

He's probably our best natural centre back but it's the brain farts and injuries that keep detailing his career. If he could curb that for at least an entire season (or the rest of this one at least), then you can see him becoming an integral part of our future defence.
He has only had the one I think, to be fair.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brain farts? That's not Smalling's game.

mufcwarm92

Seems weird to say he has so much potential but he really does. If he could just stay fit and injury free... he has everything you'd want.. bar the personality. He needs to develop a rock solid mentality to be the player he can be.. his natural talent is incredible.
You're spot on there, but it really shouldn't be that way. It's the nature of the game nowadays to write players off before they're even in their mid 20s but the fact is that at 25 Smalling is still pretty young for a centre half at this level. Not everyone is Rio Ferdinand, most top class centre halves don't build top class reputations until they're in late 20s.

I thought he was brilliant today yet again.

Red Comet

Actually, the match v.s Citeh seems to be the only match where he suffered a brain fart.

Maroo

What has LVG done to him! How the feck is he looking so good?

Have always rated Jones & Evans above him, but he's put in two awesome performances, back to back. Today's was top drawer - the only vine I have against him is that he needs to be more aggressive with attackers when he is outside the box. But a MOTM performance for me today.

pseudo_canadian

Great performance yesterday.

Thought he was an absolute fecking animal all game long.

Hope he stays fit, as I think he's been/has the potential to be our best defender for quite some time.

Bebe

He's fantastic. Always had the attributes to put in these kinds of displays. Needs to stay healthy now and avoid going back to square one.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Such an accomplished display, both with and without the ball. Lets hope this form continues through this run of fixtures.

Thisistheone

He reminds me a little of Des Walker. Excellent defender, quick, strong, good in the air... not great on the ball but with the right partner, will be brilliant.

He's also started to look a danger in the opposition area as well which is always nice. If he can stay injury-free I can see him being close to the team of the year come May. Terry and Cahill might have it sewn up but Big Chris can go close.

Rossa

He's been one of our best players of late. I can't really find an attacker that causes him much problems. The big and strong ones struggle against him due to his size, strength and leap. The quick ones are emberrassed for pace time and time again, and he rarely falls for dribbles one on one. He can switch off at times, but that rarely happens these days.

I think he has improved his passing and technique as well, and he has become more of a threat in the opposition box - could have had a goal yesterday in fact.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still have I absolutely no idea which rubbish Chris Smalling everyone claims they have been watching over the last few years to be honest.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I didnt see the game last night but pleased to see Smalling seems to have continued his good form. Always been a fan of his, plus I have him in my fantasy draft.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's had plenty of them in his time at United which is what I think is being referred to.
Examples of these 'many' brainfarts or recant your statements. Evans is mr Brainfart when it comes to our CBs. Even Jones has had more in the center of defence. Smalling seldom makes unforced errors.

Grib

Say what you will about young Chris but i feel a lot more assured when a cross comes in if he's in the defence, if he (like others have said) can stay fit and develope his concentration and decision making he can still be a good first team player for us

Rossa

Examples of these 'many' brainfarts or recant your statements. Evans is mr Brainfart when it comes to our CBs. Even Jones has had more in the center of defence. Smalling seldom makes unforced errors.
There are so many created falsified statements about Smalling that it's quite amusing. Some said he was too slow (!), some said he was too poor on one on ones and some claimed he was too poor in the air. Now they claim he's prone to brainfarts. Neither of these arguments hold any truth. He is prone to injuries and is no RB, which has caused some to believe that he isn't as good as he is.

The only argument that is unfortunately partly true is that his distribution and his technique needs working, but it has improved as of late. Neither Vidic nor Terry are/were brilliant with the ball, but few would claim they are poor players.

Rossa

Say what you will about young Chris but i feel a lot more assured when a cross comes in if he's in the defence, if he (like others have said) can stay fit and develope his concentration and decision making he can still be a good first team player for us
What's wrong with his decision making?

Grib

What's wrong with his decision making?
I feel its lacking at time, prob due to being played out of position in previous years and a lack of a proper established run at cb

I don't see this as a major critisim, young defensive players (and goal keepers) often aren't consistent due to this, something that comes with experience

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You're spot on there, but it really shouldn't be that way. It's the nature of the game nowadays to write players off before they're even in their mid 20s but the fact is that at 25 Smalling is still pretty young for a centre half at this level. Not everyone is Rio Ferdinand, most top class centre halves don't build top class reputations until they're in late 20s.

I thought he was brilliant today yet again.
Exactly, we should never right off a center back before he is 27, before that they are just baby CBs, a real center back is an experienced one.
Smalling is still young, he can still achieve all his potential.

Loublaze

ATLien
There are so many created falsified statements about Smalling that it's quite amusing. Some said he was too slow (!), some said he was too poor on one on ones and some claimed he was too poor in the air. Now they claim he's prone to brainfarts. Neither of these arguments hold any truth. He is prone to injuries and is no RB, which has caused some to believe that he isn't as good as he is.

The only argument that is unfortunately partly true is that his distribution and his technique needs working, but it has improved as of late. Neither Vidic nor Terry are/were brilliant with the ball, but few would claim they are poor players.
You're too right. The funny thing is people want to believe these statements so badly. It baffles. Smalling never gets beat for pace and so far i've never seen him lose in a 1v1. Even Welbeck said he was the toughest player to play against in training.

Señor

Brain fart was maybe an exaggeration but the notion he doesn't make unforced errors is not true. He's been way too lax on the ball in the past. He's been guilty of mispassing the ball and giving the ball away far too often which more often than not, we've gotten away with, but his passing and distribution was certainly something that was a problem of his. He's done well this season to rectify it though.

Get rid of this and his injuries and he's halfway there to being a titan at the back for us.

Loublaze

ATLien
Brain fart was maybe an exaggeration but the notion he doesn't make unforced errors is not true. He's been guilty of mispassing the ball and giving the ball away far too often which more often than not, we've gotten away with, but his passing and distribution was certainly something that was a problem of his. He's done well this season to rectify it though.
Indeed. His distribution has been better this season. He has the best pass completion for a CB in the league right now, alongside Kompany at 89.9%

Ekeke

Brain fart was maybe an exaggeration but the notion he doesn't make unforced errors is not true. He's been way too lax on the ball in the past. He's been guilty of mispassing the ball and giving the ball away far too often which more often than not, we've gotten away with, but his passing and distribution was certainly something that was a problem of his. He's done well this season to rectify it though.

Get rid of this and his injuries and he's halfway there to being a titan at the back for us.
Usually when people talk about unforced errors from a CB they mean defending. Because thats the be all and end all of their job.

Thats where Smalling has been our most consistant and has been found wanting least of our CBs

Yes on the ball he's made some poor choices, but ultimately he just needs to do the basics with the ball and he seems to have already rectified that judging by the previous matches

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I really couldn't care less how Smalling is on the ball. He can defend and defend very well. I'll take that for now and the signs are he's regaining his composure on the ball so it's all good.

Kag

I really couldn't care less how Smalling is on the ball. He can defend and defend very well. I'll take that for now and the signs are he's regaining his composure on the ball so it's all good.
Exactly. It's funny, he's defending no better than he has done on many occasions in the past, yet people are getting all excited because he has launched few 50-yarders out to Young.

Fitness has been his issue. If and when he stays fit then he's the first defender on the team sheet.

Spielmacher

Rojo, Jones and Smalling (apart from the terrible display against City) have impressed me so far this season. All they need to do is stay fit. Even McNair and Blackett did well mostly. Been a little disappointed by Evans so far though, will be interesting to see who plays when all CBs are fit (should that ever happen).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rojo, Jones and Smalling (apart from the terrible display against City) have impressed me so far this season. All they need to do is stay fit. Even McNair and Blackett did well mostly. Been a little disappointed by Evans so far though, will be interesting to see who plays when all CBs are fit (should that ever happen).
I'd suspect that Evans is on a tight-rope, especially with us constantly being linked with another CB. I would think that McNair and/or Blackett will go on loan next season.

Señor

I'd suspect that Evans is on a tight-rope, especially with us constantly being linked with another CB. I would think that McNair and/or Blackett will go on loan next season.
I think Evans has been quite comfortably our worst defender this season. Smalling, Rojo, Jones and Blackett have been quality most of the time but also pretty poor in some games. McNair has really impressed me throughout. Played 4, won 4 with him in the side.

Shimo

While his flat out defending is top of the list in terms of importance, his ability on the ball is also very important in the way LVG wants the team playing. If he is losing the ball or punting because he is dawdling then that puts the team under far more pressure. At the level United want to be playing, the CB have to have very good ability on the ball along with being defensively sound.

The broken record is that if Smalling can stay fit - he'll come good on both. He is already very good defensively and for being good on the ball, that will take more confidence and playing consistency.

Varun

Staff
I remember the night after the City game. Insane this place was regarding him. Have maintained for a while, easily our best CB. Just needs to work on his game on the ball.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
For me the only thing he needs is a good injury-free run in the team. He's becoming more vocal which is good but I'd like to see him become more of a leader which will come with experience.

Varun

Staff
While his flat out defending is top of the list in terms of importance, his ability on the ball is also very important in the way LVG wants the team playing. If he is losing the ball or punting because he is dawdling then that puts the team under far more pressure. At the level United want to be playing, the CB have to have very good ability on the ball along with being defensively sound.

The broken record is that if Smalling can stay fit - he'll come good on both. He is already very good defensively and for being good on the ball, that will take more confidence and playing consistency.
Very few defenders in recent times fit your bill. Even absolutely top CBs like Vida or Terry were far from very good on the ball. Its a good trait to have and as you said, given how LVG wants us to play, important as well but very good ability on the ball will always be just a bonus, the most important thing is to be top class defensively and Smalling is easily our best in that regard.

Shimo

Very few defenders in recent times fit your bill. Even absolutely top CBs like Vida or Terry were far from very good on the ball. Its a good trait to have and as you said, given how LVG wants us to play, important as well but very good ability on the ball will always be just a bonus, the most important thing is to be top class defensively and Smalling is easily our best in that regard.
No doubt it's rare to find both but, that doesn't mean we should be satisfied if we only get very good defensively. Also, to me being good on the ball doesn't mean being able to launch 50 yard balls but, to be able to handle being pressured, carrying the ball out the back when need be and play good short to medium passes out the back. As for Smalling, from the off I've always thought he will be a player once he plays consistently will fit the bill of being good on the ball as a CB and he is already showing good signs of it.

Varun

Staff
No doubt it's rare to find both but, that doesn't mean we should be satisfied if we only get very good defensively. Also, to me being good on the ball doesn't mean being able to launch 50 yard balls but, to be able to handle being pressured, carrying the ball out the back when need be and play good short to medium passes out the back. As for Smalling, from the off I've always thought he will be a player once he plays consistently will fit the bill of being good on the ball as a CB and he is already showing good signs of it.
One definitely cant be a liability with the ball, I was referring more to you saying it was essential to be very good with the ball for a club like ours. Too high an expectation imo. Not referring to Smalling here, in general.

Thankfully, we have LVG now. If they dont improve under him, they never will, in this regard.