6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

ThanksBoss26

Its clear to see that those two are the future of the England national team etc. etc. etc.

Can we deal with another injury crises like we did this year though? Huge gamble for LVG to take if he chooses not to bring in a centre back.

In an ideal world both Smalling and Jones will stay fit for most of the season and we will have a similar backbone to teams like chelski.
No way. We definitely need another Centre Half this summer and we'll get one.

Godfather

He needs to learn how to control a football. I love him as a defender. Big, strong and a good header of the ball. But feck me he almost falls over at every first touch.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's got better as the season progressed. Definitely seems to have improved his distribution. Our best defender this season.

6/10

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's been our best centre back this season, which isn't really saying much because it's one of our weaker positions. He's looked excellent at times, but is still fairly prone to poor performances or dodgy errors. Still though, plenty of improvement from him considering he was starting to look like a written-off crock a while back.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
He never looks like he's in control of the ball and anything other than the obvious simple pass seems beyond him and his technique.

But then again, he has improved and did defend very well at times. No doubt been our leading CH this season.

Still think we need better first choice if we are to win the title and be strong in europe.

buckooo1978

not his best game today but over the season he was composed, passed reasonably well and had good balance

today was bad Smalling where he looked awkward and panicked at times but these performances have been less common

hopefully the progress will continue next season next to a strong dominant CB

m1y2

It's just the way he looks playing the ball, clumsy is the word" which leads people to discredit his ability on the ball, he certainly is not bad but he can take the ball forward from time to time and make a nice crossfield pass, yes he tends to stumble or slip from time to time but he always recovers well never give the ball away easily which is what matters.

Every player doesn't need to look as composed as David Silva when playing ball..

My MOTM against Hull and top3 United player of the season for me

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Brilliant compilation, he is reverse Rooney with Young it seems, likes to spray it out to the left. He's been immense this season, he has been good consistently since City away, bar Carrick he has been our most consistent positive factor, with all the others who lost their form in a bit. If his distribution improves, for me he could be the best CB in the league, because pure defensively, I dont know what he's to improve, his distribution holds him back.

Skills

Snitch
He was pretty close to the finished article at the end of his first season here. Injuries and misuse has held him back.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
6.1 Average rating
6.8 Your rating

had a good season in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of the Smalling-Jones partnership. They complement each other pretty well. I think that if they had a better core of player around them, just the basics to begin with, like a proper healthy left back and a proper healthy right back, our defence could be formidable.

of course, they have to stay fit as well. It's about time we get a full injury free season out of them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he's an excellent defender. Funnily enough he's always been quality at the defending bit, it's only the rest of his game game and fitness that's needed real work. Defending comes very naturally to him.

Ekeke

If he played for Southampton he'd cost us £30 million easy. If he played for Porto he'd cost us £40 million

He's been easily our best CB for the past 2 seasons, as I've said all along we're lucky to have him. He's my highest rated player according to the stats at 6.9

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If he played for Southampton he'd cost us £30 million easy. If he played for Porto he'd cost us £40 million

He's been easily our best CB for the past 2 seasons, as I've said all along we're lucky to have him. He's my highest rated player according to the stats at 6.9
No, he wouldn’t. He’s had a very decent season and would cost us a fair bit of money, but there’s very little chance he’d go for £30m, and the idea that he’d go for £40m seems a bit ludicrous. We’d be crazy to pay such a fee, anyway.

Ekeke

No, he wouldn’t. He’s had a very decent season and would cost us a fair bit of money, but there’s very little chance he’d go for £30m, and the idea that he’d go for £40m seems a bit ludicrous. We’d be crazy to pay such a fee, anyway.
True, I'm thinking of euros and the Mangala deal. He's better than he ever was. And Southampton are selling Lovren at £20 million, Shaw at 30 and Schneiderlin will probably be 30. Smalling is just as good in his field

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
True, I'm thinking of euros and the Mangala deal. He's better than he ever was. And Southampton are selling Lovren at £20 million, Shaw at 30 and Schneiderlin will probably be 30. Smalling is just as good in his field
Comparing to similar cases can often be a bit faulty though – Andy Carroll once went for £35m after one half season in the PL where he’d been decent, but it doesn’t mean that players like Darren Bent and Peter Crouch were suddenly worth that as well.

I think part of the reason why Shaw went for a lot was because he’s rightfully considered to be an excellent young prospect. While Smalling’s still fairly young and is (hopefully) only coming into his prime years, he doesn’t have that advantage of being an extremely young future prospect anymore.

RooneyLegend

He's as dominant a center back you get in today's game, but horrendous with the ball at his feet. The only way we can justify having him in the first 11 is to have him playing with a dominant ball player at the back ala Stones.

Gopher Brown

He's as dominant a center back you get in today's game, but horrendous with the ball at his feet. The only way we can justify having him in the first 11 is to have him playing with a dominant ball player at the back ala Stones.
He's not horrendous with the ball at his feet though. His awkward failing arms make it appear like he isn't in control of the ball, but he's fine at playing it simply to the wing or Carrick/Blind and he's learnt to stop playing those Hollywood balls. His pass completion was 89% this season.

Skills

Snitch
His on ball ability is fine though a bit rough around the edges. Rarely gives the ball away, and when he actually attempts to make a tougher/higher risk pass there's usually a pretty high reward attached to it. He's put in Young quite a few times this season with a few beautiful diagonals, though inevitably as he's a defender first he's also miscued a few of them.

Though obviously, it'd be great if he continued to work on it and developed the ability to play those a bit more often.

settembrini

6.1 Average rating
6.8 Your rating

had a good season in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of the Smalling-Jones partnership. They complement each other pretty well. I think that if they had a better core of player around them, just the basics to begin with, like a proper healthy left back and a proper healthy right back, our defence could be formidable.

of course, they have to stay fit as well. It's about time we get a full injury free season out of them.
This criticism of Smalling is becoming increasingly invalid imo. In each of our last two league seasons he has either been in the team or on the bench for 30/38 games. He does pick up the odd injury like most players but has never been out for long and has been available the vast majority of games.

Jones is a bit more of a problem, his numbers are 24 and 26. Not awful but not good enough.

I agree with you that the partnership has a lot of potential and that a fit Shaw plus a good right back would have made a huge difference this season.

Robbie Boy

He has improved this season in some aspects of his game for sure. Was our best defender, but that's hardly a great accolade this season, all things considered.

Ekeke

Comparing to similar cases can often be a bit faulty though – Andy Carroll once went for £35m after one half season in the PL where he’d been decent, but it doesn’t mean that players like Darren Bent and Peter Crouch were suddenly worth that as well.

I think part of the reason why Shaw went for a lot was because he’s rightfully considered to be an excellent young prospect. While Smalling’s still fairly young and is (hopefully) only coming into his prime years, he doesn’t have that advantage of being an extremely young future prospect anymore.
Thats why I picked out two clubs who consistantly get a premium for their players and who consistantly have buyers for their players anyway

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Bit of a random bump but this doesn't really deserve its own thread either.

Smalling just tweeted these pics of his holiday and I was just thinking it's great a more cultural holiday with his girlfriend, rather than Jack Wilshere-esque pictures of our players on piss ups in Ibiza smoking in swimming pools surrounded by models. In the main we've got a great record for players behaving and generally being a drama-free club of all that bullshit. Smalling leads by example in this department. Following his captaincy against Arsenal (I think?) I can really see him becoming our main captain in years to come.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
. In the main we've got a great record for players behaving and generally being a drama-free club of all that bullshit. Smalling leads by example in this department.]
except when he goes to parties dressed as a suicide bomber? :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

Smalling just tweeted these pics of his holiday and I was just thinking it's great a more cultural holiday with his girlfriend, rather than Jack Wilshere-esque pictures of our players on piss ups in Ibiza smoking in swimming pools surrounded by models. In the main we've got a great record for players behaving and generally being a drama-free club of all that bullshit. Smalling leads by example in this department. Following his captaincy against Arsenal (I think?) I can really see him becoming our main captain in years to come.

:lol: