Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir A1ex

Meh. People will blame him for two goals that he could do little for, but he's been our best defender (i.e. someone who defends) easily this season, and has been for a while. If people want to really russian roulette with our other band of crooks and terribleness (Lindelof) then go ahead but at least he's stayed fit until now and played well in our games.
He says of the guy whose injury just cost us two points...

I'd never blame any player for getting injured, but Smalling's as delicate as any of the other CBs, apart from Jones, obviously.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we just need to always have 6 CBs and hope two are fit at any given time.

Rossa

You wouldn't know it, first post in here for ages and it's the usual abusive bollocks.

Anyway, in a normal situation, of course he's doing the right thing. From what you could see on the TV angle he was playing it dead right. But given the inexplicable disappearance of the rest of our defence he'd have been better of trying something.
What abuse? Do you mean when you called me a twat, or cocky, or both? I think I said absolutely nothing to you, except that it's Christmas. Merry Christmas mate!

As for the first goal, three of our defenders need to study the art of defending, not Smalling. If you disagree, then I think we need to do just that.

Rossa

I'd never blame any player for getting injured, but Smalling's as delicate as any of the other CBs, apart from Jones, obviously.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we just need to always have 6 CBs and hope two are fit at any given time.
You do know that DDG should have easily caught that lofty cross, right? It's easy work for any half decent goalie that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How can you possibly say that? They were injured and didnt play, he questioned their commitment. Smalling plays injured and people are unhappy.
In a position where he should know we need a fit player he should have been screaming at the whole team to rearrange themselves. It really wasn’t rocket science, we made an absolute arse of it and it’s cost us. We would have been better had he just gone off the pitch. He caused confusion by staying in there and not being strong enough in instructing his teammates he couldn’t carry on in that position. A completely different situation from not playing from the start. This is about in game management, something our players don’t seem to know an awful lot about.

Sir A1ex

What abuse? Do you mean when you called me a twat, or cocky, or both? I think I said absolutely nothing to you, except that it's Christmas. Merry Christmas mate!

As for the first goal, three of our defenders need to study the art of defending, not Smalling. If you disagree, then I think we need to do just that.
Not denying that the others were more at fault, schoolboy errors. Smalling played it perfectly by the book, but the situation called for something a bit more radical. Jones would have headed it clear off Mahrez's boot.

And yes, it would be nice if people could disagree without immediately disparaging other people's opinions, being snide and trying to insinuate some kind of superior knowledge which everybody knows doesn't exist. Sorry, what am I thinking, it's an internet forum.

marktan

I did say 'until now' for a reason. He's played 23 games this season, vs 10 for Bailly, 13 for Jones and 6 for Rojo. He only played 2-5 games less than Rojo and Bailly last season who were our preferred starting pair for a large part of the season, and he played 10 more games than Jones. The season before that Smalling played 55 games whilst Bailly played 35, Rojo played 28, and Jones played 13.

arthurka

You do know that DDG should have easily caught that lofty cross, right? It's easy work for any half decent goalie that.
Albrighton had at least 10 tries in the last 8 minutes and always tried to hit the far post.. It was in his area 2 meters from goal and travelled over a long distance...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How can you possibly say that? They were injured and didnt play, he questioned their commitment. Smalling plays injured and people are unhappy.
Of course they’re unhappy. Jesus Christ. He’s a professional footballer. We already had a man advantage and wasting time would help us. Absolutely cretinous decision from him to keep playing when he could barely walk. All he had to do was lie down on the pitch and wait for play to stop. That would have eaten up a few seconds/minutes and given us time to reorganise. Hobbling around, adding nothing but confusing everyone around him was astonishingly stupid. People have every right to be unhappy.

Skills

Snitch
Not denying that the others were more at fault, schoolboy errors. Smalling played it perfectly by the book, but the situation called for something a bit more radical. Jones would have headed it clear off Mahrez's boot.

And yes, it would be nice if people could disagree without immediately disparaging other people's opinions, being snide and trying to insinuate some kind of superior knowledge which everybody knows doesn't exist. Sorry, what am I thinking, it's an internet forum.
In the 27th minute? If he's sent off there we might as well have thrown the towel in. Not that it would've made a difference anyway, didn't stop us from cocking it up.

Skills

Snitch
Of course they’re unhappy. Jesus Christ. He’s a professional footballer. We already had a man advantage and wasting time would help us. Absolutely cretinous decision from him to keep playing when he could barely walk. All he had to do was lie down on the pitch and wait for play to stop. That would have eaten up a few seconds/minutes and given us time to reorganise. Hobbling around, adding nothing but confusing everyone around him was astonishingly stupid. People have every right to be unhappy.
Eh he went off and was sent back on the pitch by the medical staff? You didn't watch the game, and you've literally just came from watching MOTD right?

Andersons Dietician

Yeah, De Gea should have come for that. But there's no question that goal doesn't happen without all the confusion surrounding Smalling's injury.
He had just come back on the pitch before that goal had gone in, there was plenty of time to reorganise. Personally I think Young should be taking responsibility on McGuire there and DeGea should be collecting that ball.

What sucks is Smalling has been awesome these last few months and I’d imagine that is him out for 2-3 weeks now maybe more depending on the severity.

MadMike

You wouldn't know it, first post in here for ages and it's the usual abusive bollocks.

Anyway, in a normal situation, of course he's doing the right thing. From what you could see on the TV angle he was playing it dead right. But given the inexplicable disappearance of the rest of our defence he'd have been better of trying something.
People keep explaining that he could well have been far far worse off too. Try something and get sent off as well as concede a pen. He closed the view of goal for Mahrez, that's basically what he could have done. We failed to win the game because we didn't take our chances to kill it and because we conceded in the last minute. The decision to not try anything stupid on the 27' minute of the game was absolutely right.

Ekeke

In a position where he should know we need a fit player he should have been screaming at the whole team to rearrange themselves. It really wasn’t rocket science, we made an absolute arse of it and it’s cost us. We would have been better had he just gone off the pitch. He caused confusion by staying in there and not being strong enough in instructing his teammates he couldn’t carry on in that position. A completely different situation from not playing from the start. This is about in game management, something our players don’t seem to know an awful lot about.
Jones sorted it out because he was having trouble even standing. Its also the manager's job to make sure its how he wants it.

Andersons Dietician

People keep explaining that he could well have been far far worse off too. Try something and get sent off as well as concede a pen. He closed the view of goal for Mahrez, that's basically what he could have done. We failed to win the game because we didn't take our chances to kill it and because we conceded in the last minute. The decision to not try anything stupid on the 27' minute of the game was absolutely right.
This is going to turn in to one of those “he should have stuck with Morata” type debates, I can tell. Some people just can’t defend which is made obvious reading this thread. Smalling made the right choice again, just like he did against Chelsea.

People also seem to be forgetting it was Mahrez who was at times waltzing past 2 of our players and turning Young inside out. You don’t recklessly dive in on him as he’ll leave you planted on your arse or looking at the ref asking where did he go as your brandished a red.

BluesJr

Jones sorted it out because he was having trouble even standing. Its also the manager's job to make sure its how he wants it.
Except he didn’t because Herrera refused to go to right back and Smalling continued at CB, an absolute joke.

Acole9

Outstanding
Fair play to him for powering on through but he should never have been marking Maguire.

Jaybomb

It’s hilarious the lengths people will go to, to defend absolute garbage.

I remember last season when he had an absolute SHOCKER against Chelsea and was at fault for at least 3 of the 4 goals that were scored against us and some people on here kept saying “Oh he had a toe injury”... what a load of rubbish. Even on his best day he’s not good enough for us.

It baffles me that you can watch the likes of Stam, Rio and Vidic and then come along and say Chris Smalling is at that level. If we were to sell him next week, he would end up at the likes of Stoke and West Brom. There’s no fecking way a Chelsea or a City would come in for him.

kbbear

If he had refused to come back on he would probably have never played for Mourinho again.
Totally agree. Jose's attitude to injury may be partly to blame. Like when Shaw was out for a few months and Jose questioned to extent of the injury.

Loublaze

ATLien

I remember last season when he had an absolute SHOCKER against Chelsea and was at fault for at least 3 of the 4 goals that were scored against us and some people on here kept saying “Oh he had a toe injury”... what a load of rubbish. Even on his best day he’s not good enough for us.

It baffles me that you can watch the likes of Stam, Rio and Vidic and then come along and say Chris Smalling is at that level. If we were to sell him next week, he would end up at the likes of Stoke and West Brom. There’s no fecking way a Chelsea or a City would come in for him.
Have you played with a broken toe before? Your boy Rojo is shit

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't blame Smalling one bit. He did as well as he could and should have been taken off. De Gea should have caught that ball but instead put the responsibility on a man that could barely walk.

Jaybomb

Have you played with a broken toe before? Your boy Rojo is shit
Let me guess... you’re judging his recent performances after he’s just come back from an ACL injury AND is wearing a bandage on his head?

What’s the difference in what I’m doing and what you’re doing? Cause if you’re going by Rojo’s form pre-injury then you would be way off. He was arguably our best CB last season.

Bwuk

100% agreed.

The mind truely boggles when it comes to our defenders. I'd argue if they were all available Bailly is the only one a top side would be interested in. The others are average.

Bwuk

I don't blame Smalling one bit. He did as well as he could and should have been taken off. De Gea should have caught that ball but instead put the responsibility on a man that could barely walk.
If he can barely walk he shouldn't be playing at CB. He should be off the pitch.

Bwuk

Exactly but that's not his decision to make.
Isnt it? The medical staff would of asked him if he's capable of continuing, or he could of layed down on the pitch.

Smalling is one of the senior members of the squad and has captained us many times, he should know a lot better.

Snow

Isnt it? The medical staff would of asked him if he's capable of continuing, or he could of layed down on the pitch.

Smalling is one of the senior members of the squad and has captained us many times, he should know a lot better.
The medical staff doesn't ask, they assess. They knew very well that he wasn't capable of playing, anyone with eyes knew that. Mourinho has in the past thrown a player back on the pitch that could barely walk because he didn't want to go down to 10. It's just not an option to go off voluntarily as a professional football player for most managers.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund

All this talk about "players should be ready to play through pain" must have put alot of preasure on him to go back on. If he don't come back on he'll get slaughtered, if he does he'll get slaughtered all the same. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Bwuk

The medical staff doesn't ask, they assess. They knew very well that he wasn't capable of playing, anyone with eyes knew that. Mourinho has in the past thrown a player back on the pitch that could barely walk because he didn't want to go down to 10. It's just not an option to go off voluntarily as a professional football player for most managers.
When has Jose done that?

If jose is stupid enough to put someone who can barely walk at CB, then perhaps my football manager should be getting his job and Jose can come coach me.

Bwuk

All this talk about "players should be ready to play through pain" must have put alot of preasure on him to go back on. If he don't come back on he'll get slaughtered, if he does he'll get slaughtered all the same. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
He can man up.

Good of the team is more important than him being slaughtered by Jose.

haram

There was another CB on the pitch in Lindelof, he should have at least got out the centre of the defence.

Snow

When has Jose done that?

If jose is stupid enough to put someone who can barely walk at CB, then perhaps my football manager should be getting his job and Jose can come coach me.
It's not something that's unique to him. Managers don't like players making tactical decisions, period. Players don't have the power to decide on their own if they want to come off unless they want fines and anger towards them.

Mourinho famously did it to Gallas in the CL with Chelsea.

MadMike

There was another CB on the pitch in Lindelof, he should have at least got out the centre of the defence.
The situation was ongoing for about 10 minutes with discussions and disagreements taking place between Smalling, Jones and Herrera. It's Mourinho's job to act and sort it out, it's not on the players to discuss between them and decide. That's why the manager is on the side of the pitch, otherwise might as well watch it from the telly.

manunited1919

That is on Mourinho, not on Smalling. Smalling should have been an instructed to stay up the pitch, and adjustments should have been made. That’s the manager’s responsibility.

BluesJr

That is on Mourinho, not on Smalling. Smalling should have been an instructed to stay up the pitch, and adjustments should have been made. That’s the manager’s responsibility.
Mourinho has said he spoke to Young, but there’s little he can do if the players don’t take any responsibility.

Ekeke

Not really though considering the cross came from that side with little pressure applied.
?

He blocked a cross from the leftback, it rebounded out to another player and Ander told Miki to stay with his man. Ander went to press the cross, it was under pressure

manunited1919

Mourinho has said he spoke to Young, but there’s little he can do if the players don’t take any responsibility.
Smalling was injured, yet he was sent back into the pitch. Unless a manager or assistant mgr instructs him to stay up the pitch, he has no choices ce but hobble back to his position and try to defend as best he can. That goal is on Jose, and perhaps a bit of bad luck that things aren’t going our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.