Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Not the only one but it’s annoying how poor the whole back 4 are at passing forward.

We can’t keep going this way.
In their defence what are ou really supposed to do when there is no movement infront of you, no one showing for the ball other than people like Fellaini or Lukaku offering for a thump forward. The movement and Just general intelligence to working angles, create space of our entire team is just pathetic.
Pretty much every single one of our forward 4 including Fellaini or Pogba just go in to any area for a hopeless long ball.

For me it all comes down to the risk management tactics that are deployed where we are too concerned with not leaving ourselves vulnerable so people hold positions where they can protect if a turn over happens and this leads to horrible passing as we are geared for long balls hoping to get on the 2nd ball from that punt.

ti vu

In their defence what are ou really supposed to do when there is no movement infront of you, no one showing for the ball other than people like Fellaini or Lukaku offering for a thump forward. The movement and Just general intelligence to working angles, create space of our entire team is just pathetic.
Pretty much every single one of our forward 4 including Fellaini or Pogba just go in to any area for a hopeless long ball.

For me it all comes down to the risk management tactics that are deployed where we are too concerned with not leaving ourselves vulnerable so people hold positions where they can protect if a turn over happens and this leads to horrible passing as we are geared for long balls hoping to get on the 2nd ball from that punt.
Fair point until you realized we tried to pass and play out from the back and the first goal would have prevented if we just hoofed it instead (Pogba is the biggest culprit when he was supposed to help them knowingly their trouble).

Wherefore art thou Gareth Southgate? We know you're reading

Bobski

He played well.

Mou did make a point in his interview about the speed of the passing from the back, though he did split the blame between forwards and defenders. Makes me wish he was more willing to use Blind in some of these smaller games.

Ashley R1+O

Perfect player to alternate and bring through Bailly and Lindelof. Solid as a rock, (not really) a leader who can bridge the development of those two players.

James_42

I'm still a big fan of his and it looks like Jose still is, he seems to play every game so he clearly trusts him.

Any reason why journos are always linking him away from the club in this big clear out that is expected in the summer?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm still a big fan of his and it looks like Jose still is, he seems to play every game so he clearly trusts him.

Any reason why journos are always linking him away from the club in this big clear out that is expected in the summer?
They don't watch our games and just make it up anyway.

Loublaze

ATLien

Its because they read the CAF and are trying to get hits. Smalling's detractors always get excited by those stories no matter how disreputable the source.

Canagel

His inability to pass from the back is a real problem. He loves a sideways/backwards pass but never looks for a forward pass. It's not just him but he's the main culprit. We spend a lot of the game passing it at the back for no reason when we need quick passes through the middle. If it was down to me Smalling wouldn't be first choice but I'd keep him as a squad option or rotation in cup games. We need more quality from our centre backs and I don't particularly think any of them are world class at the moment which is what we should be aiming for. None are leaders either. Perhaps Bailly can reach that level but Smalling, Jones and Rojo have reached their peaks and won't improve any further. Lindelof I'm not sure because he's only just arrived but next season will be more clear if he's ready to lead the backline or not.

Last edited:

maniwin

Is it only me who notice something wrong? Once Swansea start pressing us high, Pogba or Matic dropped to his position instead. It ruined our football and Swansea start getting chances after, we are so vulnerable from high pressing and Smalling is a big reason why.

Last edited by a moderator:

roseguy64

Is it only me who notice something wrong? Once Swansea start pressing us high, Pogba or Matic dropped to his position instead. It ruined our football and Swansea start getting chances after, we are so vulnerable from high pressing and Smalling is a big reason why.
Are you sure this happens only when Smalling plays or happens when he doesn't also?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
:lol:

All Smalling's fault.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Great character from Mike. Amazing way to make up for the first goal

Virror

Took his goal very well, and some very good defending during the second half. Still terrible on the first goal and his passing does put us in trouble against a team like City. I do feel it is time to upgrade him, and the fullbacks.

Loublaze

ATLien
it was similar to his comeback goal against City in the comm shield in 2011

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Glad for him, it looked like meant him so much which is good to see.

peridigm

For all the shit he gets(from me included) he said all the right things there and played a night/day second half.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
God awful first half but I don’t care, super second half and the winning goal. Fantastic Chris.
Let’s leave what happens after this season for another day. He just won us the derby and stopped city winning the league!

King Eric 7

Glad he got the winning goal. It hasn't been a great ground for him of late and it half time it looked quite grim for us and him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Made a mistake for their first goal but he scored the winner. He has this good ability in set pieces, he connects lot of balls but somehow missed a lot. Now he is scoring. Long may it continue.

Oldyella

Bad mistake for their first. Wasnt too bad aside from that, but a very good second half.

Bobski

Guillotine was descending but as at Palace he didn't collapse after an awful half.

Kompany's defending for his goal was the worst in the game by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.