Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red-17

Sort of. When Jones scored the OG all the shit fell on Smalling. Bailly scores OG, Smalling is lucky there’s not too much shit to go around because we still won the game. But if Smalling score OG, there would be an endless shitstorm in this thread. Truly endless. I mean, the naysayers have all their negative posts ready to go, just waiting for Smalling to make a mistake.
Just like how Smalling was blamed for us conceding against Newcastle because he conceded a free kick at midfield from a silly dive.

Kapardin

How is Bailly an elite defender? I mean I absolutely love the guy as he is like Ronaldinho if he was a defender, and he has the potential to carry the same presence as Vidic. Smalling is a physical specimen himself but doesn't carry a big personality on the pitch, he is not extravagant in demanding respect, he is more subtle. We as fans often rate players based on personalities so I think a lot of people are just not noticing him being the well above average Premier League CB that he is. Bailly on the other hand has a long way to go to fulfil his potential as his potential is so huge and he is still so young. He will make a lot more mistakes than Smalling in the next couple of years, and that is fine but he simply can't be more of an elite defender than Smalling, not at this point. There's more to being a defender than personality, presence and fancy tackles but if Bailly can iron out his flaws he will be more than elite.

Back to Smalling. He probably found his place in the squad, personality wise, back when competing with Vidic and Rio and that has sort of kept with him into post-fergie era, even when he was bossing it under LVG when the expectations around the club was down. He's subtle but i think he had the United-mentality always, he just didn't manage to bring much of his hunger on to other players, like a leader does. He has not become a big leader. But he has become the guy that kept our defence together post SAF and he mos-def deserves homage for that. But now at 28, with the backing of Mourinho, a big believer in players imposing their personality on the game, maybe we will see him step up in that area? Maybe he will receive more recognition for his work?

I think we've seen improvements with him on that area in the last 2 games. Credit to Mourinho if it continues.

I also think Bailly-Smalling is the way to go, they haven't had the best of chemistry together yet but realistically they have good balance between them. Smalling has the boring experience, aerial-abilities, reading of the game and Bailly has the calm composure, aggressive instinct and classy hard tackles. Both are fast and strong as hell. I'm exited that Bailly is back.
I am one of those who have a soft spot for Smalling. I certainly think our crop of CBs bar Lindelof perhaps are quite adequate enough for the time being, and would rather see Smalling stay if he is content with a squad player's role.

But Bailly is streets above all our current CBs in ability and has a potential to be truly elite, hence I referred to him as elite.

devips

I’m sure some of Smalling’s detractors are very disappointed it was Bailly with that mistake instead of Smalling. I’m also 100% sure that had we gone on to lose that game, Smalling would somehow be getting the blame for Bailly’s goal.
It can still be done! A frame by frame video analysis is what we need. Or better still, a throwaway remark that if Smalling were able to pass from the back, Bailly wouldn't have had to do that fancy backheel!

manunited1919

It can still be done! A frame by frame video analysis is what we need. Or better still, a throwaway remark that if Smalling were able to pass from the back, Bailly wouldn't have had to do that fancy backheel!
What they don’t realize is that Arsenal and Liverpool would die to have someone like Smalling, who can actually defend. Just see how Lukaku made Lovren toast today, twice.

Richrip

Only when fellaini came on did we start to handle set pieces with any sense of comfort..... as our best aerial threat and most senior centrel defender he should be taking no nonsense in and around our penalty area...... no way would the likes of Vidic Terry Kompany have passed Van dijk to Matic or whatever was going on between them to? He’s a very good defender and worth keeping around as 3rd choice but I don’t believe he’ll ever have the right mentality to be world class unfortunately.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Just don't play Smalling with Jones and he becomes twice the defender.

The defense is all about working together, Smalling provides his physicality and 1v1 defending, add that to a proactive defender that is confident on the ball and that is a good partnership.

Ashley R1+O

Superb once again and I think that his partnership with Bailly is probably the best one at the moment with the defenders we have. It will take a couple of years for Lindelof to settle and then if more players are pushing through to unseat Smalling and it will probably happen in time, but he has been superb. A literal rock for 3 season straight and he might have just found the right partner to push on next season. Smalling-Bailly looks very promising after one excellent performance. I want the to repeat that.

arnie_ni

One of the best pure defenders in the league. If you want a ball player i hear stones sits on city's bench

Jaybomb

Oh dear. People think he’s world class again.

I feared this would happen.

criticalanalysis

Defensively I do not think that is true at all. On the ball maybe, but he is an entirely different style of defender than Bailly for example. Bailly is the aggressive one trying to win every ball, Smalling tends to wait for the right moment, stand up, try to funnel attackers into areas where committee defending takes care of the problem. Defensive decision making not really the problem, occasional clumsiness more so. He has had really strong defensive performances recently against all types of attacking player.
Firstly, I gotta say Smalling had a good game today.

Secondly, to quote the bold bits, that's the problem, when he knows what to do and does it single mindedly he's a fantastic defender. Like Rio said, he's can be a beast. With his qualities, we should be expecting Wes Brown type of performances, which is just absolute no nonsense but confident playing (notice I didn't just say defending). However, I think it shows that he's too hesistant when the conditions are not right and it doesn't help his ball playing ability is very limited. It's not that he can't do the things we would like to see in a defender, it's just he doesn't do it on his own accord and defaults to the safest option. That can be aimed at many of him team mates to be fair.

Jaybomb

He's not a utd fan. He's the type of "fan" would rather smalling make a mistake that led to a CL final defeat than us win
You’re talking ridiculous now. I celebrated his goal against Palace. I guess you rate every player in our squad then, “super fan” :rolleyes:

We won’t get to a Champions League final with Chris Smalling. The truth hurts I know.

Jaybomb

This. If Rojo isn't playing at the back there's no party for @Jaybomb
Are you Chris Smalling in disguise by any chance? Your love for him is borderline obsessive at times. You’d think he helped us to multiple Premier League titles the way you defend him.

He did well today... not the best player on the pitch by any stretch but he managed to not feck up... for once. So there’s that I guess.

Mr Smith

His best performance in ages. Still not convinced he should be playing for us as frequently as he is, but he was absolutely fantastic yesterday.

POF

Firstly, I gotta say Smalling had a good game today.

Secondly, to quote the bold bits, that's the problem, when he knows what to do and does it single mindedly he's a fantastic defender. Like Rio said, he's can be a beast. With his qualities, we should be expecting Wes Brown type of performances, which is just absolute no nonsense but confident playing (notice I didn't just say defending). However, I think it shows that he's too hesistant when the conditions are not right and it doesn't help his ball playing ability is very limited. It's not that he can't do the things we would like to see in a defender, it's just he doesn't do it on his own accord and defaults to the safest option. That can be aimed at many of him team mates to be fair.
I'm confused. Do you think Smalling is an inferior defender to Wes Brown? I would have Smalling several levels above Brown both in terms of talent and performance level.

Brown never managed to nail down a first team spot at United at centre back and when he did play there was extremely error prone. Smalling has been a regular at centre back in one of the best defences in the league for 4 straight seasons now.

He was excellent against Liverpool. The Salah incident was great. When he plays with aggression he is twice the defender he is when he's meek and lacking confidence.

Giggs86

Smalling is as good as his partner CB. To get the best out of him he must be paired with a confident, ball playing CB. Pair him with Jones and it's a recipe for a disaster.

arnie_ni

You’re talking ridiculous now. I celebrated his goal against Palace. I guess you rate every player in our squad then, “super fan” :rolleyes:

We won’t get to a Champions League final with Chris Smalling. The truth hurts I know.
No, i dont like quite a few players. I just don't go out of my way to criticise them like some in here do

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve watched this about 20 times now and every I laugh harder :lol:

It’s just a completely, unprovoked, unnecessary off the ball assault way after the ball had gone. He just fecking evicted him.

Reminded me of Rio actually, he used to have that attitude in big games, bully and humiliate the opposition and get into their head.

Sit down and be quiet.

Quick edit - one bit of credit I will give to Liverpool (and our lads too) is that they just got on with it yesterday. There was some tasty challenged going around and there was minimal antics other than the usual appeals.

Refreshing change from seeing Tottenham and City players Óscar performances, surrounding the ref and waving imaginary cards.

Loublaze

ATLien
Are you Chris Smalling in disguise by any chance? Your love for him is borderline obsessive at times. You’d think he helped us to multiple Premier League titles the way you defend him.

He did well today... not the best player on the pitch by any stretch but he managed to not feck up... for once. So there’s that I guess.
Dude, you're branding me obsessed yet you're the one claiming people will start calling Smalling 'world class' when not a single poster has used those words to describe his recent performances. Clearly you just can't stand any kind of praise for the man if all you can offer in this thread is shade on those rightfully applauding an in-form Smalling. Also, at least Smalling played in and won the Europa league final where he got an assist for the second and was captain as well. Let's see if losing world cup finalist (since you like to mention that 'achievement') Rojo ever does that in a major European tournament.

Last edited:

Hitchez

I don't understand why anyone would want Rojo playing instead of Smalling. It's sort of understandable why some might not rate Smalling but Rojo? He's a worse defender than Smalling in every way and and for someone who's supposedly very good on the ball he sure does love a hoof and giving the ball away unnecessarily while trying to be clever.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't understand why anyone would want Rojo playing instead of Smalling. It's sort of understandable why some might not rate Smalling but Rojo? He's a worse defender than Smalling in every way and and for someone who's supposedly very good on the ball he sure does love a hoof and giving the ball away unnecessarily while trying to be clever.
You're right and this is the reason why Rojo loses possession more than any of our other center backs.

JohnnyKills

Played well yesterday. Definitely a good squad option.

Still think we need a footballing cb alongside bailly though.

Jaybomb

Dude, you're branding me obsessed yet you're the one claiming people will start calling Smalling 'world class' when not a single poster has used those words to describe his recent performances. Clearly you just can't stand any kind of praise for the man if all you can offer in this thread is shade on those rightfully applauding an in-form Smalling. Also, at least Smalling played in and won the Europa league final where he got an assist for the second and was captain as well. Let's see if losing world cup finalist (since you like to mention that 'achievement') Rojo ever does that in a major European tournament.
He’s not in form though. Stop reaching. He’s been woeful in his last few games.

And why do you keep mentioning Rojo? :rolleyes:

Loublaze

ATLien
He’s not in form though. Stop reaching. He’s been woeful in his last few games.

And why do you keep mentioning Rojo? :rolleyes:
Woeful in his last few games? Don't be silly homie, he was great against Chelsea, official MOTM against Crystal Palace (picked by Sky and Mourinho himself) and a wall against Liverpool. What the hell do you watch? You're blind as a bat with hatred. Its ok though, every time he plays you're sick to the stomach :lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
YWe won’t get to a Champions League final with Chris Smalling. The truth hurts I know.
We already did. 2010/11. He played more minutes in the CL than Rio did that season, and around the same as Vidic. He was excellent against Marseille home and away in the knockouts, and the 2nd leg against Schalke which got us to the final. He was very good in the 2nd half of that season when he got a run of games and many wanted him to start the CL final.

Jaybomb

Woeful in his last few games? Don't be silly homie, he was great against Chelsea, official MOTM against Crystal Palace (picked by Sky and Mourinho himself) and a wall against Liverpool. What the hell do you watch? You're blind as a bat with hatred. Its ok though, every time he plays you're sick to the stomach :lol:
He was fecking at fault for that second Palace goal. That’s what I was watching. A goal doesn’t change how bad he is defensively. But continue supporting average players and HOPING we’ll win major silverware. Eventually the penny will drop.

Loublaze

ATLien
He was fecking at fault for that second Palace goal. That’s what I was watching. A goal doesn’t change how bad he is defensively. But continue supporting average players and HOPING we’ll win major silverware. Eventually the penny will drop.
Valencia is the one who switched off for that goal. Also, a player can make an error and still rise above and make a difference. Smalling scored the goal that started United's come back and he was voted MOTM. You mad? Smalling is more decorated than your poor ass man's Sergio Ramos

Loublaze

ATLien
We already did. 2010/11. He played more minutes in the CL than Rio did that season, and around the same as Vidic. He was excellent against Marseille home and away in the knockouts, and the 2nd leg against Schalke which got us to the final. He was very good in the 2nd half of that season when he got a run of games and many wanted him to start the CL final.
Hear hear!

Grande

What a silly argument. Smalling was a culprit in the second goal vs Palace. Before that he was our main defence against the double aereal threat of Benteke and Sorloth. After that he was brilliant defensively and inspirational to the players in front. The goal being a bonus.

You saw Bailly playing wonderfully against Liverpool? Before and after his ludicrous own goal? Did you you call him shite and off form as well?

el3mel

Matic and De Gea were more responsible for this goal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.