Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

He’s a good ‘no nonsense’ defender- quick, strong in the air, decent positioning and reading of the game. But he just doesn’t cut it for a top team hunting for the top two trophies.

His inability to play from the back severely weakens us. It seems as though it takes an age to get the ball from our CBs into midfield. I remember in LVG’s last season, after a UCL game Rio Ferdinand made similar comments about him (IIRC it was against Wolfsburg at home), Rio was saying that he has the physical attributes to become a world class centre back, but needs to spend time working on his technical ability to make the step up, as the world class CBs of today can all play out from the back.

It seemed logical and natural for this to be the next step for Smalling, but for whatever reason he just hasn’t kicked on in this regard. Would be happy to see him leave at the end of the season.
I previously didn't pay attention to all the critics about his ball playing skills, or lack of it. And still I don't think it's as imperative as some on here, since he is a very solid defender and we don't have many better options anyway. But looking at his passing, and by passing I mean a 20m pass to his partner or to the full back, you just can't miss how the ball always lands half a meter behind the receiving player. I mean he is a professional footballer, I'm sure he can work on that at least.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I previously didn't pay attention to all the critics about his ball playing skills, or lack of it. And still I don't think it's as imperative as some on here, since he is a very solid defender and we don't have many better options anyway. But looking at his passing, and by passing I mean a 20m pass to his partner or to the full back, you just can't miss how the ball always lands half a meter behind the receiving player. I mean he is a professional footballer, I'm sure he can work on that at least.
Agreed- I wouldn’t expect him to turn into Pique overnight, but simply working on basic passing would surely improve his ability to play out from the back.

Another big frustration I have with him is the consistent kicking the ball out for a throw in. I know as a kid you’re taught ‘if in doubt, kick it out’ but surely a professional footballer has the composure and ability to take a touch and asses your options. Kicking it out for a throw in should be the last resort, as just invites pressure from the opposition.

Sylar

Bit of a mixed bag with Smalling. Overall he had a very good game against 2 big powerful forwards. But ultimately his 2 mistakes were 2 goals. When he has Benteke at the egde of the area he has got to show him down the line on his left foot completely. Would result in Benteke turning back to the left back at best. And the quick free quick he was caught sleeping for a split second and its just too late to get back in and cover.

On the flip side, he was phenomenal in the air. Gave away very little fouls in comparison to Lindelof. Brilliant header to get us back in the game (Looked simple but that was a great header).

He’s a good ‘no nonsense’ defender- quick, strong in the air, decent positioning and reading of the game. But he just doesn’t cut it for a top team hunting for the top two trophies.

His inability to play from the back severely weakens us. It seems as though it takes an age to get the ball from our CBs into midfield. I remember in LVG’s last season, after a UCL game Rio Ferdinand made similar comments about him (IIRC it was against Wolfsburg at home), Rio was saying that he has the physical attributes to become a world class centre back, but needs to spend time working on his technical ability to make the step up, as the world class CBs of today can all play out from the back.

It seemed logical and natural for this to be the next step for Smalling, but for whatever reason he just hasn’t kicked on in this regard. Would be happy to see him leave at the end of the season.
Amongst everything in this thread, Ithink these two are the most balanced / fair ones that I Agree with.
Always will see Smalling as a follower in defence rather than a leader. Put a leader next to him and it will suit Smalling moreso than him having to take charge and organise.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

That is.... Not great. Started in half of our games, and 9 of the 10 defeats have come in those games.

Minimalist

I think he was alright and did enough in the end. Was worried a few times.

Then Bailly started looking daft and my attention shifted to him. :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Often feels like there's an error in him but he was solid today for the most part and especially towards the end helped keep them at bay. Was being bullied a bit by Van Dijk in the first half at set-pieces but managed to recover from that as the game went on.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Him and Matic kept on losing VVD, thankfully it didn’t cost us - aside from that he was great

Loved when he pushed Salah over :drool:

haram

VVD is very good in the air so I'm not going to get on to him about it too much.

Loublaze

ATLien
Another towering performance from Smalling today. Blocks, interceptions, headers and shoves on Salah :devil:. He struggled a couple of times in the air against the 75M man though.

Red-17

Absolute rock today along with the rest of the back 4. He and Young did a phenomenal job keeping Salah almost completely neutralized.

borrays

Get outjumped twice by van Dijk for corners, other than that, was really quality performance by him today.

Santos J

Corners with him and Matic aside he was very solid defensively. When he's on form like that he's brilliant.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When Smalling doesn't need to think he's great. The lad's decision making makes him look thicker than a brick wall. When all he has to do is defend and knock it away he's pretty reliable though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Often feels like there's an error in him but he was solid today for the most part and especially towards the end helped keep them at bay. Was being bullied a bit by Van Dijk in the first half at set-pieces but managed to recover from that as the game went on.
So I’ve read for years.

Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy in that whenever he DOES make a mistake, it will be ‘see, that’s what he does’.

He’s a quality defender, and has been our most reliable for 5 years.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So I’ve read for years.

Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy in that whenever he DOES make a mistake, it will be ‘see, that’s what he does’.

He’s a quality defender, and has been our most reliable for 5 years.
He's alright, but today alone he was pretty poor on set-pieces. One of his better performances today but I don't see what's wrong with saying he's got an error or two in him.

Virgil

We relied on our fullbacks and towards the end Fellani (acting as a better central half then either of the two starters) to get us over the line. Both of our central defenders were at best mediocre and at times both were p...poor. Thank the lord they had excellent cover. Christ some Cafcards are so far up their own backsides that I wonder whether they actually see any part of the game

spiriticon

There's an error in ALL of our defenders. Not just Smalling. We shouldn't single Smalling out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's alright, but today alone he was pretty poor on set-pieces. One of his better performances today but I don't see what's wrong with saying he's got an error or two in him.
What’s wrong with it is that it implies he has an error or two more than other centre halves, which isn’t true. It draws attention to the mistakes he does make, and overlooks the fact that he’s on the most part, not making errors at all and defends very well in the overwhelming majority of games.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Him and Bailly were a great pair today. A freak own goal is what kept them in it. Otherwise, they didn't threaten despite all the pressure high up the pitch. They were blocking everything.

Bobski

When Smalling doesn't need to think he's great. The lad's decision making makes him look thicker than a brick wall. When all he has to do is defend and knock it away he's pretty reliable though.
Defensively I do not think that is true at all. On the ball maybe, but he is an entirely different style of defender than Bailly for example. Bailly is the aggressive one trying to win every ball, Smalling tends to wait for the right moment, stand up, try to funnel attackers into areas where committee defending takes care of the problem. Defensive decision making not really the problem, occasional clumsiness more so. He has had really strong defensive performances recently against all types of attacking player.

Loublaze

ATLien
Every CB does, so show me the data that shows that he makes more errors than his colleagues.

Loublaze

ATLien
We relied on our fullbacks and towards the end Fellani (acting as a better central half then either of the two starters) to get us over the line. Both of our central defenders were at best mediocre and at times both were p...poor. Thank the lord they had excellent cover. Christ some Cafcards are so far up their own backsides that I wonder whether they actually see any part of the game
What game were you watching?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What’s wrong with it is that it implies he has an error or two more than other centre halves, which isn’t true. It draws attention to the mistakes he does make, and overlooks the fact that he’s on the most part, not making errors at all and defends very well in the overwhelming majority of games.
I think he's generally more error prone than Bailly, for one, albeit Bailly obviously made the much more notable error today. But I still don't think it's incorrect to point out that he's not always the most reliable - today alone in spite of his often excellent defending he was left wanting at set-pieces, and I don't think his passing from the back is always particularly great and can often be a bit of a liability. As a centre-back he's clearly good; he'd slot into most PL sides without a problem but if we're discussing ourselves as a top level team then I don't think it's unfair to point out the weaknesses in his game. And I say that while also stressing that I do think he played well today, for the most part.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ah, the "he's got a mistake in him" spiel is back, even after a pretty solid game. It's such a lazy criticism. It applies to every centre back on earth. There is no centre back who doesn't make mistakes.

Not only that, but his partner - who becomes more and more invincible with each game he misses - made probably the worst mistake a centre back for United has made this season, but it's Smalling who has a mistake in him.

OG aside, they were both fine. Solid defensively performance from the whole back four, the two infront and even Mata and Rashford (and later Sanchez).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That is.... Not great. Started in half of our games, and 9 of the 10 defeats have come in those games.
With a stat like that, it has to be remembered that Smalling tends to always play against the top teams. This season in particular I believe Smalling has played in every match against a top team, whereas the period that he was out for happened to coincide with a run of matches that were all against lower teams. To a lesser extent I think the same was true last season. As such we invariably had a higher loss percentage with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.