Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Seems loads better in a 3 man defense. If you just leave him to defend and ask nothing else, he's pretty good.

Still think his passing is absolutely unacceptable for a professional footballer, but we minimised that today by having Jones and Bailly in charge of getting the ball up the pitch.

kundalini

Decent performance. Seemed a bit slow for Dele Alli's big chance. Lack of confidence and ability on the ball evident.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never got this notion that he was anything other than a top defender. I blame this obsession with ball-playing defenders, which has probably coincided with a decline in actual defending ability from centre halves in general.

Loublaze

ATLien
Seems loads better in a 3 man defense. If you just leave him to defend and ask nothing else, he's pretty good.

Still think his passing is absolutely unacceptable for a professional footballer, but we minimised that today by having Jones and Bailly in charge of getting the ball up the pitch.
What is this based on? Bailly and Jones were erractic with the ball today. They both almost cost us goals with misplaced passes. Smalling was just fine in this respect

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Such a myth, incredible that this keeps getting repeated by posters over and over. :houllier:

Loublaze

ATLien
Decent performance. Seemed a bit slow for Dele Alli's big chance. Lack of confidence and ability on the ball evident.
Clearly that was a peach of a ball by Eriksen and Alli's movement was brilliant. Any top defender would've struggled with that. You're thinking of a perfect center back and there isn't one in the world

Bwuk

I'm far from Smallings biggest fan, but I thought he was excellent today.

The White Pele

Comfortably the best of the back 3 today IMO. I was surprised to see Jones getting nominations for MoM on MUTV etc over him as I thought Jones was shaky today.

OldTrevil

Quietly has been back to his Mike best, he is a very useful tactical weapon and will play a role even if he isn't a 1st XI player.

Akshay

Staff
Such a myth, incredible that this keeps getting repeated by posters over and over. :houllier:
It's not really a myth though. I've never been a fan of that slow turn and telegraphed pass he learned to do under LVG. He seems to have cut down on that recently and I've been very happy to see him make some one touch passes which leave the recipient enough time and space to move the ball forward. He's always been solid at the defensive side of the game, like he was against Spurs.

Hughes35

Never got this notion that he was anything other than a top defender. I blame this obsession with ball-playing defenders, which has probably coincided with a decline in actual defending ability from centre halves in general.
This - He's nowhere near as bad on the ball as people make out. I actually think his first touch is very good for a CB. His passing is limited but he rarely gives it away.

Reactions: Kag

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
It's not really a myth though. I've never been a fan of that slow turn and telegraphed pass he learned to do under LVG. He seems to have cut down on that recently and I've been very happy to see him make some one touch passes which leave the recipient enough time and space to move the ball forward. He's always been solid at the defensive side of the game, like he was against Spurs.
It's a myth that our other defender give much more passing wise, because they don't. There are hardly any examples during the game to show that our defender do much more passing wise than Smalling, and yet he is the only one criticised for his passing. If anything, I bet he gives the ball away less in dangerous situations than any of his partners. Last year stats proved that he passes it back to the keeper less than Jones(and Bailly I think), and yet he is only accused of passing it back to keeper all the time.

Blind is the only one who is excellent passer from the back but then he doesn't play as a CB under Mourinho.

Akshay

Staff
It's a myth that our other defender give much more passing wise, because they don't. There are hardly any examples during the game to show that our defender do much more passing wise than Smalling, and yet he is the only one criticised for his passing. If anything, I bet he gives the ball away less in dangerous situations than any of his partners. Last year stats proved that he passes it back to the keeper less than Jones(and Bailly I think), and yet he is only accused of passing it back to keeper all the time.

Blind is the only one who is excellent passer from the back but then he doesn't play as a CB under Mourinho.
I'm not accusing him of giving the ball away dangerously or passing back to the keeper. What he did do last year was every time he received the ball, to trap it, slowly turn towards the player he intends to pass to and then play the obvious pass at a slow tempo. It meant whoever he passed to was already covered when they got the ball and had to pass backwards to him or DDG under pressure. Jones and Bailly receive and release the ball a lot quicker. However, Smalling's improved on this recently and I really hope he can keep it up, because he's excellent off the ball.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Nah

That was just sheer brilliance from Eriksen.
Exactly, it was a De Bruyne-esque ball. Defenders can’t always antipate that trajectory, and even if they can, can’t stop it.

His passing is basic, but that’s adequate if he has players around him to delegate possession to, which he does.

He’s been a rock since getting back into the team and it should probably be Smalling+1 in an orthodox back 4, because he’s the least erratic defender of those available, and the only aerially dominant one too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Quietly has been back to his Mike best, he is a very useful tactical weapon and will play a role even if he isn't a 1st XI player.
Yeh. Against Spurs, Whoscored rated him the highest in the team, at 7.71; with Lukaku and Bailly on next at 7.34 and 7.27.

It's pretty impressive rating for a CB.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Credit where its due hes been pretty good in our last 2 games. Loved that turn at 65 min tonight!
He's been excellent for some time, not just two games. Our best defender this year, IMO.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's the one holding that backline together. He's played with a shit Lindelof and kept three clean sheets now he's doing the same with a shit form Bailly

SteveW

Vital block after Baillys mistake. Just Smalling defending well as usual.

Bobski

Thought he was sightly off tonight. A couple of times in the second half he over committed to tackles and was bypassed. One when De Gea made a sharp save and the other which led to a corner. Bailly's impulsiveness spreading.

By his standards he has been a little more ambitious with his passing, though it is not saying a great deal.

yfoFC

He's been bailing out Bailly all season imo.
That is quite a superhuman feat considering they've played a mighty two/three games together this season

The hyperbole around these parts is numbing, crazy extremities with hardly any middle ground

That being said, smalling has been solid lately and long may it continue

Paul_Scholes18

Top form at the moment. Has done better on the ball as well recently although it is still the weakness no doubt. Last season the injuries really fecked him, but now with a run of games we can see him at his best again.

Just keep up this form!

meninred

I don't know whether he is a good defender or not ..donot even how to describe Smalling. He seems neither a ball playing nor a tough tackling defender.

Sylar

I don't know whether he is a good defender or not ..donot even how to describe Smalling. He seems neither a ball playing nor a tough tackling defender.
IMO, hes a penalty area defender. When in there, he seems comfy, especially balls coming into the box.
When hes outside, im not confident watching him.

Status
Not open for further replies.