Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil

10% on Young for not keeping his position. 10% on Pogba for letting him run with no pressure. 10% on Jones for not getting close enough to potentially block the cross, or get Eriksen turned on his weak foot. The remaining 70% is on Valencia for not tracking his man.

Smalling had nothing to do with that goal. He did his task and if everybody else did theirs and Eriksen found Kane instead, Smalling would have been there to stop a goal.
I could be writing something similar in almost any of the player performance threads.....it just so happens its in the Smalling thread. Why oh why cannot we simply say that the team played well yesterday without slagging individuals off. And as for the post above IMHO it was a great Spurs goal that I'd defy any team to have stopped. Had me purring even though I'm Man Utd through and through. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and applaud an excellent goal.

And finally, just because its the devil in me, to paraphrase Bill Shankley if Spurs goal had nothing to do with Smalling then what use was he on the pitch at that time? And before anyone gets up in arms about that comment its said tongue in cheek as I reckon the whole team played well. 10% this or that players fault......damned pathetic. We won and it was a well deserved win. If the same lineup starts the final I for one will be a happy bunny.

Loublaze

ATLien
If we want to be building championship and champions league winning teams then we absolutely need to be upgrading Chris Smalling.

Definitely has it in his locker to have great spells in the side, but he's equally as likely to look like a fish out of water.

I'm also not excited about him keeping a half fit Harry Kane in his pocket. Kane barely had a kick against City too. He's clearly still struggling with that ankle.

Was Kane unfit when Smalling kept him in his pocket in the 1-0 win at OT as well? Kane has had very little joy against United and Smalling. He's only scored against United once.

SirAF

Ageist
Was Kane unfit when Smalling kept him in his pocket in the 1-0 win at OT as well? Kane has had very little joy against United and Smalling. He's only scored against United once.
That goal also came in one of the matches that United «threw» last season.

Emrethis

Was great yesterday but his problem has always been consistency, the very best defenders do it game after game, season after season.
I agree, but I'd like to see him in a settled CB pairing. He was a solid defender when he was regularly paired with blind. At the time many people thought it was because LVG's tactics gave him more protection, but now under Mourinho he's been given more protection, but hasn't produced the same performances week in week out.

I think he's better than most people realise but we'll only see it once we settle on stable and consistent CB pairing.

Bobski

I still think that the likes of Smalling and Jones take so much criticism is because if we accept that these players are actually very good we then have to stop with all the narrative based excuses for some of our displays this season. Can't attack because we need to protect the defense, can't play attacking football because they are not Baresi and Beckenbauer on the ball. Utd have the 2nd best squad in the league, it is ok to expect them to live up to it. This recent run of games against good sides really has not shown me that our CB's are this mammoth weakness compared to those of our rivals. Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Spurs, Utd have exposed more weaknesses in their defenders than they have in Utd's.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I could be writing something similar in almost any of the player performance threads.....it just so happens its in the Smalling thread. Why oh why cannot we simply say that the team played well yesterday without slagging individuals off. And as for the post above IMHO it was a great Spurs goal that I'd defy any team to have stopped. Had me purring even though I'm Man Utd through and through. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and applaud an excellent goal.

And finally, just because its the devil in me, to paraphrase Bill Shankley if Spurs goal had nothing to do with Smalling then what use was he on the pitch at that time? And before anyone gets up in arms about that comment its said tongue in cheek as I reckon the whole team played well. 10% this or that players fault......damned pathetic. We won and it was a well deserved win. If the same lineup starts the final I for one will be a happy bunny.
Obviously wasn't ment as slagging individuals off. The context here is it was my exact thoughts real time when that goal happened, a basic analysis that was written as a reply to someone who said Smalling defended bad for the goal. Kane was literally man-marked by Smalling all game, so Chris had obviously no business leaving Kane there to cover for a fullback at that moment. It's ridiculous. Im not sure i understand the rest of your comment.

Virgil

Ah you are obviously not as long in the tooth as I am. Shankleys comment was when he was told that one of his players was called up for being offside because he had been interfering with play. Shankleys retort was that if the player concerned was not interfering with play he had no right to be on the pitch. However you look at it Chris played no part in defending the goal attempt.......but thats not to say he should have......just that apportioning blame to others when the goal that Spurs scored was superb does both sides an injustice. As I said before I defy any side to have defended against that incisive move.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm baffled that this isn't a parody thread.

Pogba didn't track Eriksen's run, Jones didn't close Eriksen down, Valencia didn't track Alli's run. Smalling is probably the only one that actually did something right in that phase of play. He tracked Harry Kane's run for the cut back.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ah you are obviously not as long in the tooth as I am. Shankleys comment was when he was told that one of his players was called up for being offside because he had been interfering with play. Shankleys retort was that if the player concerned was not interfering with play he had no right to be on the pitch. However you look at it Chris played no part in defending the goal attempt.......but thats not to say he should have......just that apportioning blame to others when the goal that Spurs scored was superb does both sides an injustice. As I said before I defy any side to have defended against that incisive move.
I mean having a left back vaguely near his position, or a midfielder covering him, or defenders tracking their man...those things might have helped.

Agreed that Smalling was the only one not at fault for their goal, it was really poor defending all round otherwise. Quality display from Smalling yesterday.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
As I said before I defy any side to have defended against that incisive move.
Ah, I know what you mean, but I don't agree fully. It's totally not something to go all crazy about, mistakes like this happens and it was a good goal, but at the same time it easily could have been prevented with some better defending from those I mentioned. Its all good man:)

stevoc

Not that i agree with the other guys assessment of Smallings display yesterday, but i think Kane was injured for the 1-0 win vs Spurs earlier in the season.

Ephrem

If we want to be building championship and champions league winning teams then we absolutely need to be upgrading Chris Smalling.

Definitely has it in his locker to have great spells in the side, but he's equally as likely to look like a fish out of water.

I'm also not excited about him keeping a half fit Harry Kane in his pocket. Kane barely had a kick against City too. He's clearly still struggling with that ankle.

This is maybe harsh, but he also gets done like he did on the first goal too often. The danger was the ball across the face of the goal, but he seemed to lack that awareness of what was going on behind him and instead get attracted to the danger in front of him. If he holds his position he makes both balls really difficult, but as it was he made that ball really easy for whoever it was that played it across.
Bravo man !!! No words

roseguy64

I still think that the likes of Smalling and Jones take so much criticism is because if we accept that these players are actually very good we then have to stop with all the narrative based excuses for some of our displays this season. Can't attack because we need to protect the defense, can't play attacking football because they are not Baresi and Beckenbauer on the ball. Utd have the 2nd best squad in the league, it is ok to expect them to live up to it. This recent run of games against good sides really has not shown me that our CB's are this mammoth weakness compared to those of our rivals. Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Spurs, Utd have exposed more weaknesses in their defenders than they have in Utd's.
Aye. Can only think of Vertonghen and VVD from any of the other top sides in the league that I wouldn't mind here and I doubt they're that much better than what we have.

RedCurry

My MOTM for the game. That defensive performance was top class. Absolutely nullified one of the best strikers in the league. He never looked to be stretching for tackles which just shows that he was reading the game brilliantly throughout the match.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Solid performance from Smalling. Did think he could have done better with Alli's goal, though.

As Eriksen put the ball in, Smalling anticipated him pulling it back to Kane, which left space in the middle for Alli, who had a tap in.

Valencia should have stayed with Alli, but had Smalling been there, I can imagine he would have been in a position to intercept it.

Other than that, I thought he and Jones were superb.
And had Eriksen pulled it back for Kane, he would have had a tap-in.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Indeed, and then who’s have been lynched for not tracking Kane??? Smalling. He can’t win.

Luckily, he’s a millionaire with a beautiful wife who’s been consistently selected to play for the biggest club in the world by some of the best coaches of the past 30 years - certain he doesn’t care about online trolls opinions of him.

Sign Alderweireld, pair him with Smalling, and it will be a perfect platform partnership to build upon for the next 2-3 years.

Walters_19_MuFc

Alli's is what you define as a tap in. Kane would have had a good chance, but I'd have expected Matic to continue tracking him if Smalling stayed level with Jones.
Indeed, and then who’s have been lynched for not tracking Kane??? Smalling. He can’t win.

Luckily, he’s a millionaire with a beautiful wife who’s been consistently selected to play for the biggest club in the world by some of the best coaches of the past 30 years - certain he doesn’t care about online trolls opinions of him.

Sign Alderweireld, pair him with Smalling, and it will be a perfect platform partnership to build upon for the next 2-3 years.
:lol: Jesus! Talk about overreacting. Why make it into something more than it should be?

Just an observation. I felt Smalling should have stayed in line with Jones, as Matic was tracking Kane. It's really not that big of a deal. Did also say that he was superb, if that helps.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Just an observation. I felt Smalling should have stayed in line with Jones, as Matic was tracking Kane. It's really not that big of a deal. Did also say that he was superb, if that helps.
Not to be a prick, and it's not a big deal, but he really shouldn't have. Smalling could be a split second late and Kane would hit that on the volley and it would be a goal. It's literally the reason why he didn't score against us this game, because Chris took him out the game by being so tight to him absolutely all the time. No, Matic wouldn't reach Kane there.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
We love him. We hate him. We love him. We hate him. We love him. We hate him. We love him..........

AndyJ1985

Christ, crawl to his front door whilst dragging your balls through broken glass and offer to lick his boots clean while you're at it.

Ekeke

Alli's is what you define as a tap in. Kane would have had a good chance, but I'd have expected Matic to continue tracking him if Smalling stayed level with Jones.
Not even the slightest chance. Alli's chance required a fantastic cross/pass from Eriksen, finding Kane free in the box would have been liking getting out of bed for him.

:lol: Jesus! Talk about overreacting. Why make it into something more than it should be?

Its just the absurdity of it. Its okay to admit you made a mistake and have now looked at a video replay and what you were suggesting is a work of fiction. Everyone makes mistakes.

Mcking

I agree man. People keep banging on about a CB to partner Bailly, but it has to be noted that Bailly is not even third choice now. Smalling have survived Jones, Blind, Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof since he joined, comfortably fending each of them. He seems to start every game recently because Jose knows that our other CBs can't do without him. Even if we sign Sergio Ramos, he'd probably be fighting with the other CBs to establish himself as Smalling's partner. It's a Smalling world lads and there's nothing we can do about it.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not even the slightest chance. Alli's chance required a fantastic cross/pass from Eriksen, finding Kane free in the box would have been liking getting out of bed for him.

Its just the absurdity of it. Its okay to admit you made a mistake and have now looked at a video replay and what you were suggesting is a work of fiction. Everyone makes mistakes.
Alli's chance did require a fantastic cross, but it also meant if pulled off, which Eriksen did do, then it was a 'tap in'.

Not really a mistake, but more my opinion, which, unfortunately for you, isn't going to change, whether you like it or not.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Alli's chance did require a fantastic cross, but it also meant if pulled off, which Eriksen did do, then it was a 'tap in'.

Not really a mistake, but more my opinion, which, unfortunately for you, isn't going to change, whether you like it or not.
By all means don't change your mind but what you got there is just an unreasonable opinion. As you say, it's not a mistake, then what is it? It is you expecting a defender to prevent a goal by going against the managers instructions and defend badly, in order to have some luck. It is very unrealistic

Walters_19_MuFc

By all means don't change your mind but what you got there is just an unreasonable opinion. As you say, it's not a mistake, then what is it? It is you expecting a defender to prevent a goal by going against the managers instructions and defend badly, in order to have some luck. It is very unrealistic
Unreasonable because I felt Smalling should have tried to block the ball instead of marking Kane? I wouldn't say so. Even Valencia looked at him to say, why did you move from your position?

Above is another example, where I felt Smalling should have been in line to block the cross. No way, in my opinion, should the cross be getting through so easy.

If it wasn't for Jones making a last ditch tackle, it'd have been another tap in for Alli.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Unreasonable because I felt Smalling should have tried to block the ball instead of marking Kane? I wouldn't say so. Even Valencia looked at him to say, why did you move from your position?

Above is another example, where I felt Smalling should have been in line to block the cross. No way, in my opinion, should the cross be getting through so easy.

If it wasn't for Jones making a last ditch tackle, it'd have been another tap in for Alli.
Think you are looking too much into this. He was marking Kane so he had to relatively stay close to Kane. It was Jones' job to get across since he was man-marking Alli. If Smalling is too far in front then Kane and its an easy tap in if the ball was pulled back.

Walters_19_MuFc

Think you are looking too much into this. He was marking Kane so he had to relatively stay close to Kane. It was Jones' job to get across since he was man-marking Alli. If Smalling is too far in front then Kane and its an easy tap in if the ball was pulled back.
Kane is not the initial threat, though, it's Alli. Stop the cross, that doesn't happen.

We had plenty of bodies around the box to look after Kane.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Kane is not the initial threat, though, it's Alli. Stop the cross, that doesn't happen.

We had plenty of bodies around the box to look after Kane.
Yes but you have an assignment. You cant just leave him unmarked. Thats why you have to communicate and trust your teammate will do his job.

Loublaze

ATLien
I remembered this post after watching the Liverpool-Roma game. Salah tore him and his partners a new one today. He could learn something from Smalling who kept Salah in his pocket twice this season :wenger:

el3mel

I remembered this post after watching the Liverpool-Roma game. Salah tore him and his partners a new one today. He could learn something from Smalling who kept Salah in his pocket twice this season :wenger:
Seems you were right, even though I was impressed by Manolas every previous time I saw him.

Will move to Koulibaly then. :D

Bobski

Manolas is one of those names who get pushed out from people who have read about him, checked his stats and never seen him play. Sounds exotic, must be better than what we have, then you actually watch him and he is slow, clumsy and rather limited.

See also Laporte, reality rarely matches the hype.

el3mel

:lol:

I actually like the look of him he's a beast
Chelsea wanted him last summer or the one before don't remember. Also was always impressed with him but hopefully he doesn't get found out as Manolas today. :D

Loublaze

ATLien
Manolas is one of those names who get pushed out from people who have read about him, checked his stats and never seen him play. Sounds exotic, must be better than what we have, then you actually watch him and he is slow, clumsy and rather limited.

See also Laporte, reality rarely matches the hype.
Too right. I heard so much about Laporte over the last few years and i've never been impressed whenever I watched him play. He's looked like Lindelof in the PL so far.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes but you have an assignment. You cant just leave him unmarked. Thats why you have to communicate and trust your teammate will do his job.
What assignment? To just man mark Kane in the box and forgot about everything else? You do not defend a cross like that. If Kane drops, then our midfielders need to pick him up or Smalling rushes out to him if/when he gets the ball to try and block the shot. Having said that, in that clip, Smalling was neither marking Kane or defending the cross.

When defending a cross, your back four should be level to initially stop any crosses from occurring.

Loublaze

ATLien
Chelsea wanted him last summer or the one before don't remember. Also was always impressed with him but hopefully he doesn't get found out as Manolas today. :D
I think Koulibaly has all the tools he needs to make it in the PL but there's never a guarantee. He's 26 now and im not dissing Napoli but he needs to move to a bigger club to really prove his worth

el3mel

I think Koulibaly has all the tools he needs to make it in the PL but there's never a guarantee. He's 26 now and im not dissing Napoli but he needs to move to a bigger club to really prove his worth
Agree. He needs to move on as I think this current season is the peak of this Napoli team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What assignment? To just man mark Kane in the box and forgot about everything else? You do not defend a cross like that. If Kane drops, then our midfielders need to pick him up or Smalling rushes out to him if/when he gets the ball to try and block the shot. Having said that, in that clip, Smalling was neither marking Kane or defending the cross.

When defending a cross, your back four should be level to initially stop any crosses from occurring.
Yes, but I think less when man-marking a player like Kane who is always a goal threat. In the clip you provided you can actually see that Smalling tells Matic to cover Kane, probably because he want to drop and be in line with the others as you suggested. Since Matic ignores him and moves down instead of picking Kane up you see Smalling chose to stay in between, a little bit neither here or there but also in distance of Kane if the ball deflected and ended up in his feet. In a way, Matic positioned himself as the CB there so Smalling could stick to Kane, so it is actually Matic you should be blaming for not blocking the cross before Jones, if that's your point.

You can also see Jones is actually a little bit slow initially, he doesn't get that the winger runs past Valencia immediately, which is the reason he had to do a last ditch tackle. He could have just positioned himself there earlier and it wouldn't be as dangerous. But it was good reactionary defending non the less, and a clean tackle.

Ekeke

Hahah I just came to look for that guy

Status
Not open for further replies.