Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Every season he starts on the bench as the manager rates the ability of others as higher. It's only through sheer consistency he finds his way back to the starting line up every time, as the others either get injured or lose the plot.
So basically he's consistently better than the CBs Mourinho has signed for over £30 million a pop.

I wonder what makes people think we'll get the next one right and Smalling wont be the player to have to bail us out yet again.

RedDevil@84

Smalling won't be benched. Even if he is, he will be back in couple of matches. Says a lot about the competition he has in the team.

So basically he's consistently better than the CBs Mourinho has signed for over £30 million a pop.

I wonder what makes people think we'll get the next one right and Smalling wont be the player to have to bail us out yet again.
Well we had better hope so because we know for sure that Smalling is not good enough.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Well we had better hope so because we know for sure that Smalling is not good enough.
We actually don't know how Smalling would go next to a proper partner. The closest he's ever had to that was Blind in 15/16, and Smalling was arguably our best player and won the Players Player of the Season. Admittedly he wasn't as good in the second half of that season (although still fairly good), but the first half of the season was the only time since the end of Rio and Vidic where we actually had a top defender. Since then he's had a rotating bunch of jokers next to him that haven't come remotely close to actually cementing a spot.

Could he get back to that level again given a proper partner? Maybe. Maybe not. Nobody knows. But I'd be a lot more confident in him than any of our other options.

We actually don't know how Smalling would go next to a proper partner. The closest he's ever had to that was Blind in 15/16, and Smalling was arguably our best player and won the Players Player of the Season. Admittedly he wasn't as good in the second half of that season (although still fairly good), but the first half of the season was the only time since the end of Rio and Vidic where we actually had a top defender. Since then he's had a rotating bunch of jokers next to him that haven't come remotely close to actually cementing a spot.

Could he get back to that level again given a proper partner? Maybe. Maybe not. Nobody knows. But I'd be a lot more confident in him than any of our other options.
He played 3 seasons under SAF and 4 seasons next to Rio and Vidic. If he can't get to the level required with that trio guiding him, exactly who is a 'proper partner'?

Havak

Pokemon master
I think the ultimate conclusion needs to be that Smalling is the best centreback we have. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he is good enough for a Manchester United side that wants to be challenging for the title. I'd argue he should still be worthy of a place on the bench, or our fourth choice CB, if only for his aerial ability alone (kind of like a reverse Fellaini to see games out), however that's something I think can be left open for debate. The problem then lies within recruitment in these positions. Can this be fixed in one Summer? Probably not. We'd have to sell two or three defenders and buy a couple of worldies and hope it all clicks, but I bet some fans would think we need to spend that money in other areas.

Smalling should be, and currently is, starting every week and it is on merit. I don't see this changing until we get a new manager who doesn't like him, or until we've had a few more transfer windows where we sign defenders that are either already proven to be better than him, or are bought as promising players who gel quickly and force our other defenders out of the side. However, those things have arguably already happened. New defenders were bought, rated higher, were younger and more promising, the manager left Chris out of the side, yet eventually it's him who's the only real consistent starter. The conclusion needs to be that this isn't an accident, so I'm always amazed to see the huge amount of criticism that Chris Smalling endures, especially from our own fans more than the opposition. Who do they want to play instead? Fail Jones? Marcos Crocko? Eric Barely? There are many players in our squad who need to go before he does.

Negan

Smallings been bailing no one out ffs. We look tragic at the back and he’s the heart of all that.

If Bailly got a run of games, he would be vastly superior. Same goes for Rojo and Lindelöf (who looks like he’s come into his own right now)

Onto your point about “Mourinho signed 2 30m CBs already!”... by that logic Pep shouldn’t have signed Danilo for 40m cause he already signed Walker for 50m... he shouldn’t have signed Laporte for 60m cause he already signed Stones for 50. He shouldn’t have signed Edersom cause he already signed Bravo. Do you understand how stupid and hypocritical that sounds?

The board denied Mourinho the funds to sign a CB and now this is the result. We’re comfortably mid table with a defence full of mid-lower table quality players. WHO WOULD THINK IT?

Ekeke

Smallings been bailing no one out ffs. We look tragic at the back and he’s the heart of all that.

If Bailly got a run of games, he would be vastly superior. Same goes for Rojo and Lindelöf (who looks like he’s come into his own right now)

Onto your point about “Mourinho signed 2 30m CBs already!”... by that logic Pep shouldn’t have signed Danilo for 40m cause he already signed Walker for 50m... he shouldn’t have signed Laporte for 60m cause he already signed Stones for 50. He shouldn’t have signed Edersom cause he already signed Bravo. Do you understand how stupid and hypocritical that sounds?

The board denied Mourinho the funds to sign a CB and now this is the result. We’re comfortably mid table with a defence full of mid-lower table quality players. WHO WOULD THINK IT?
And we'd look much worse without him. Lindelof + Bailly at the start of the season was where we started shipping all the goals that led to that period where Fellaini played as an extra CB

Walker came in and helped City win the league.

When Bailly and Lindelof have done that you're free to compare us to City. Until then making comparisons to City, regardless of how hard you press your caps lock key is ridiculous.

Negan

And we'd look much worse without him. Lindelof + Bailly at the start of the season was where we started shipping all the goals that led to that period where Fellaini played as an extra CB

Walker came in and helped City win the league.

When Bailly and Lindelof have done that you're free to compare us to City. Until then making comparisons to City, regardless of how hard you press your caps lock key is ridiculous.
Walker and Danilo, two right backs were bought in the same summer but apparently Mourinho isn’t “allowed” to buy another CB cause he already bought two. That’s a ridiculous argument.

Bailly and Lindelöf haven’t had a run of games to get going anyway. Smalling is on every fecking week. And some people here are actually convinced he’s doing well.

Ekeke

Walker and Danilo, two right backs were bought in the same summer but apparently Mourinho isn’t “allowed” to buy another CB cause he already bought two. That’s a ridiculous argument.

Bailly and Lindelöf haven’t had a run of games to get going anyway. Smalling is on every fecking week. And some people here are actually convinced he’s doing well.
We arent owned by Oil billionaires. Neither did we win the league with our spending.

Bailly and Lindelof had a run of games at the beginning of the season that got us into the mess we're in. Maybe go back and watch those games.

MadDogg

He played 3 seasons under SAF and 4 seasons next to Rio and Vidic. If he can't get to the level required with that trio guiding him, exactly who is a 'proper partner'?
Err, a proper partner is a good defender who he can actually play next to week-in week-out and trust. Not two defenders who kept him out of the team when he was young (as they would have any other defender in the world). It's not about guiding him, it's about having some consistency and two defenders who know how to actually play together.

Every time Bailly gets a run of games he starts well then his form goes to shit (and then he gets injured). Hell, over the last six months he's skipped the playing well and just gone to playing like shit pretty much every match. Rojo has played well in a grand total of three months in the four years he's been here (and should have seen two blatant red cards during that period as well). Lindelof has had about three good games.

Juventus 1:2 Man Utd

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
There was a moment where there was a simple sideways pass to Lindelof on, but Smalling let the ball run to the other side of the body, and then took ages to play a slow pass. By the time Lindelof got the ball, he had no space and gave it away.

How can he be so bad at even keeping it simple. It’s fine if you can’t build from the back, but at least be decisive and quick with your safe passes ffs

There was a moment where there was a simple sideways pass to Lindelof on, but Smalling let the ball run to the other side of the body, and then took ages to play a slow pass. By the time Lindelof got the ball, he had no space and gave it away.

How can he be so bad at even keeping it simple. It’s fine if you can’t build from the back, but at least be decisive and quick with your safe passes ffs
There was also a time when he dribbled the ball out from defence about 30 yards. Every player has moments in every match that can be criticised.

There was also a moment Ronaldo had the opportunity to cross, dallied too much and ran the ball out for a free kick. He’s awful.

Quiet today with Lindelof stealing the show. Quiet will do, though.

marktan

Anyone else find it funny how over the last couple of weeks, every time we're down or need a goal, he kind of morphs into this attacking footballer, constantly trying to get into the opposition's box for attacks? His average position must be closer to a midfielder in the last ten minutes of our last bunch of games.

Bwuk

Anyone else find it funny how over the last couple of weeks, every time we're down or need a goal, he kind of morphs into this attacking footballer, constantly trying to get into the opposition's box for attacks? His average position must be closer to a midfielder in the last ten minutes of our last bunch of games.
So he should. He’s one of our bigger and better players in the air.

Bobski

Anyone else think he has lost a fair bit of pace in the last year or so? Used to be rapid over distance as well as off the mark, but you watch on some of his recovery runs and he doesn't quite have that running power of old.

Not slow mind but not quite the athlete he was 2/3 years ago.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
There was also a time when he dribbled the ball out from defence about 30 yards. Every player has moments in every match that can be criticised.

There was also a moment Ronaldo had the opportunity to cross, dallied too much and ran the ball out for a free kick. He’s awful.
It is a very good point and it seems to be discarded in certain threads where pretty much only the negatives get pointed out. No question why the "following" type of person doesn't see what he is good at. Some of the criticism that Chris gets is greatly justified and a lot of it comes from his supporters, but mostly his critics big points just seems so unimportant in the grand scheme of things, at least to me. He took too long on a pass in one instance and put his mate in a small bit of trouble, then won a big header and directly started a counter. Only one gets mentioned as a contribution, and its the negative I really don't get why.

Canagel

What was he doing climbing all over Ronaldo in the box? Could've easily conceded pen

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What was he doing climbing all over Ronaldo in the box? Could've easily conceded pen
You seriously bought that bullshit? Every defender being so tight to a world class player and getting the better of them and the player will be upset. Doesn't mean he is right. Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar etc. moaning when getting tackled is nothing new stop riding their d

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The protection from midfield was absolutely shite. It's been like this this season. Matic with the turn of 37 y.o. Carrick didn't really help. You have Chieillini or Ramos in this team, they'd play like Bailly.

It is a very good point and it seems to be discarded in certain threads where pretty much only the negatives get pointed out. No question why the "following" type of person doesn't see what he is good at. Some of the criticism that Chris gets is greatly justified and a lot of it comes from his supporters, but mostly his critics big points just seems so unimportant in the grand scheme of things, at least to me. He took too long on a pass in one instance and put his mate in a small bit of trouble, then won a big header and directly started a counter. Only one gets mentioned as a contribution, and its the negative I really don't get why.
Just like winning a big header is an example of him being good in the air, being too timid to play a first time pass is an example of how he makes it harder for his teammates to play. The difference is being good in the air is pretty normal for a PL defender, being so poor on the ball is not. Plus, if we all sat down and pored over all 90 minutes there would be multiple examples of each but those are the two most obvious and illustrative. When these things happen in every game, you can start to draw the conclusion that its not just a 'moment'.

I'd say first half was Lindelof, second half was Smalling. Especially towards the end after we got the equaliser, he stepped in and won quite a few balls when Juve were trying to get going again.
That was because we were playing a different style. In the first half we were pushing up and trying to play out, which really doesn't suit Smalling. After their goal we were under it and defending low as they piled pressure on, even after we equalised. That's his preferred way of defending. He's best against direct balls with little space. He hates defending with a lot space behind him and runners coming from different directions.

arnie_ni

When was that? He wasnt marking Ronaldo on corners or fks, lindeloff was, smalling marked chiellini i thought

arnie_ni

Seriously? That was a great challenge.
Is he on about the time they were 1v1 in the box from an openfield cross and he got across ronaldo to block his attempt at shooting? That was top quality defending

If ronaldo got across him he probably volleys it in the top bin.

He simply had to match his run and get across him or we'd be in trouble. He had to attack it

villain

Hates Beyoncé
When was that? He wasnt marking Ronaldo on corners or fks, lindeloff was, Smalling marked chiellini i thought
Smalling marked Ronaldo, a few times they switched probably due to Ronaldo's movement & in dead ball situations, but Smalling was on Ronaldo.

MadDogg

Is he on about the time they were 1v1 in the box from an openfield cross and he got across Ronaldo to block his attempt at shooting? That was top quality defending

If Ronaldo got across him he probably volleys it in the top bin.

He simply had to match his run and get across him or we'd be in trouble. He had to attack it
I believe so, as that's the only time I can remember them having a real confrontation in the box. If he's talking about a different time my apologies to the guy, but I still don't agree with him considering nobody else seems to remember another moment that supposedly could have been a penalty.

manunited1919

Is he on about the time they were 1v1 in the box from an openfield cross and he got across Ronaldo to block his attempt at shooting? That was top quality defending

If Ronaldo got across him he probably volleys it in the top bin.

There were three tacles that I can remember where Smalling got the best out of Ronaldo, and the one you mention was in the box. They were all clean top quality tackles and each time Ronaldo had a frustrated look on him like “what hit me?”.

The only reason Smalling’s not getting too much credit for his outstanding defending is because Lindelof is showing some remarkable improvement of late, and is getting all the plaudits.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Just like winning a big header is an example of him being good in the air, being too timid to play a first time pass is an example of how he makes it harder for his teammates to play. The difference is being good in the air is pretty normal for a PL defender, being so poor on the ball is not. Plus, if we all sat down and pored over all 90 minutes there would be multiple examples of each but those are the two most obvious and illustrative. When these things happen in every game, you can start to draw the conclusion that its not just a 'moment'.
Football consists of moments tho. Why some moments are being used to build arguments for simple conclusions as if those moments are of greater importance than others, I don't know. Thats how you get to the point where Smalling gets painted as a big culprit for our team lacking cohesion in attack. That slow pass to Lindelof, how is that more than a moment, and him starting a counterattack is not? Yesterday we played some good football and he was in the team, and mostly it had nothing to do with him at all. How does that change in games we play bad offensively?

thepolice123

Don't think I've ever seen a professional player so inept on the ball before. Its like he practically shits himself everytime he gets pressed. And he takes so long to steady his body before making the pass. If the ball is coming to his weak foot, you can be sure he will pass it back to the keeper.

Bonucci and Chellini plays a big part in Juventus' build up. Just look at that peach of long ball from Bonucci to Ronaldo.

Ekeke

8 mins 41 seconds into the match Bonucci played a pass over the top of the defense for Ronaldo to run onto. Smalling stayed with him and faced him up, Ronaldo didn't attempt a volley.

So quite similar to the goal Ronaldo scored only the volley attempt would be on the left side and Smalling kept up with him. In the end after facing him up Ronaldo had a half hearted effort that Smalling blocked and nothing came of it.

Just going to point that out because I read elsewhere that there was nothing that could be done for Ronaldo's goal. But something was done the first time the two players tried the same thing within the first 10 mins. Smalling just dealt with Ronaldo better.

When the ball comes over the top for Ronaldo on 64 mins 22 seconds, Lindelof starts his run early too spotting Ronaldo. But he has 1 moment of hesitation after he starts running back. He almost stops his defensive run for some reason and goes again. Its very slight but without that hesitation maybe he's level or goalside like Smalling managed early in the match. In the end Ronaldo gets his foot on the ball goalside of Lindelof with half a yard of space which is enough for Ronaldo to finish with a great volley.

I've mentioned a lot of times that other teams are more organized and help out their CBs a lot more than we do. Well in this one match Vs. Juventus I'd say we helped Smalling & Lindelof as much as a lot of other teams help their defense.

Matic wasn't as bad as he's sometimes been this season and Ander tracked back into our own box at times. I can remember one time in the first half where Ander was at the back post to clear the ball when Young wasn't in position to and a Juventus player was closer to the ball than he was. So Ander's contribution there was important.

46th minute Smalling cleaned out Ronaldo on a cross where he looked like he'd get a good shot away. Important that he dealt with it.

This was the 2nd time that Smalling saw Ronaldo's run early and started his defensive run to make sure he'd be level or goal side of him, allowing him to deal with it. This time he almost went too early and Ronaldo might have got a shot away but Smalling cleaned him out and got some of the ball.

Smalling actually dealt with Ronaldo very well throughout the match.

Meanwhile both Smalling and Lindelof were flat footed in the first half when Kedeira got his shot away in the box and hit the post. Another day thats in the back of the net. So still room for improvement for both of them. I think its fair to say Juventus should have scored from Kedeira and Cuadrado's efforts, then Ronaldo's goal and Dybala hitting the bar - I think 3 Juventus goals from those 5 chances is what would be expected, but we got lucky with Juventus missing their chances.

10 mins of positivity from us at the end made Juventus pay for their missed chances. CBs were okay but we could have been far further behind than we were leading into those last 10 mins.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm starting to slowly prefer Lindelof to Smalling. And I thought Smalling was our best defender last season. He's disappointed me so far this season, had more bad moments than usual. Still a solid defender mind you, but not at the level to be a guaranteed start in my opinion.

Moiraine

He will pick his form... it is about time.
If United are down... we know whose goal will start a come back

JFedic

I've never seen a player who needs to position his body as much as Smalling does for a simple pass.

Still our best out and out defender by far though despite of a couple of shaky matches over the last month or so. Hopefully just a blip.

Status
Not open for further replies.