Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Played very well tonight apart from pulling Luiz shirt off which somehow VAR didn't pick up, he's not missed a step after his injury lay-off.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is just a shirt-pulling, terrorist-outfit having, non-league level vegan with pineapple hair. I hate the way he plays. Have to rely on pace, strength, heading abilities, reading of the game and positioning to even look like a half decent player in a negative set up made for him to look good. The moment he has to rely on other things he will show everyone the level he is really at, non league I say!

Or just admit now, after countless performances similar to that against Chelsea, he is just one of the best CB's in Europe. It is that simple, and leave it at that. We don't have to go overboard and say he is a new Rio or Vidic, or that he is straight up trash, no just give the man his credit.

Ekeke

I think clearly the VAR team were vegans and were biased towards Smalling. Its the only explanation for why they didnt give Chelsea 5 penalties today for Smalling being on the pitch

I swear some "fans" would much rather see Smalling giving a penalty away every game just so they have ammo to hate on him online, than to see him playing well and dominating his opponents with the best CB performance on the pitch today.

SAFMUTD

Just as I thought he is doing great and its owning his right to start, him and Lindelof is the way to go.

Andersons Dietician

What a performance, set the tone early with that tackle from outta nowhere on Hazard when he just suddenly appears from behind Young. Man must have a god damn grip or that was a faulty shirt as those ain’t easy to tear especially not there.
But seriously he was awesome tonight and Southgate should have taken notice that that there is the best English defender in the league.

izec

He is just a shirt-pulling, terrorist-outfit having, non-league level vegan with pineapple hair. I hate the way he plays. Have to rely on pace, strength, heading abilities, reading of the game and positioning to even look like a half decent player in a negative set up made for him to look good. The moment he has to rely on other things he will show everyone the level he is really at, non league I say!

Or just admit now, after countless performances similar to that against Chelsea, he is just one of the best CB's in Europe. It is that simple, and leave it at that. We don't have to go overboard and say he is a new Rio or Vidic, or that he is straight up trash, no just give the man his credit.
:lol:

He is not, lets not get carried away. He is nowhere near best in Europe :houllier:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
:lol:

He is not, lets not get carried away. He is nowhere near best in Europe :houllier:
That is your opinion. I said he is one of the best. Did not state it as a fact that he is the best:lol: But I see where you are going with this.

izec

That is your opinion. I said he is one of the best. Did not state it as a fact that he is the best:lol: But I see where you are going with this.
Meh, he is a decent squad player, always was and always will be. A good game against an average Chelsea side wont change that. He is one of the reasons, just like Jones, why we have to buy a proper CB in the summer.

A-man

Meh, he is a decent squad player, always was and always will be. A good game against an average Chelsea side wont change that. He is one of the reasons, just like Jones, why we have to buy a proper CB in the summer.
Defense were good today but I really wonder where this Chelsea team stands at the moment. Saw them struggle against Malmö FF earlier this week. An off-season team which ended up third last season in Sweden.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Everyone should just always listen to me tbh.

#SmallingPlusOne #TheOneShouldBeLindelofByTheWay!

Møllemanden

He had Higuain in his pocket tonight. A very good performance. Oles positive man management is making a difference. We're still a long way off a new Bruce-Pallister or Vida-Rio partnership, but for now the CB's are doing a very good job.

Waynne

In terms of ball playing defenders, him and Lindelof are our best at moment. They looked incredible tonight.

JPB

He isnt even the best at the club, get outta here
I bet you can't wait until we concede a next goal, just to bash Smalling. You must be so unhappy that he played well again today, like he always does.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Along with a few of our CB's in recent years, I reckon he's an alright defender who looks a lot better when we're in a run of good form where he's not necessarily having to do as much as he would otherwise. He's got a lot of strong defensive attributes but - again, like our other CB's - isn't often as consistently reliable as you'd ideally like him to be. But considering plenty have thought him to be finished here at various points, good to see he's doing quite well. Certainly useful when he's on his game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Always was, and always will be. I understand we are not talking about a young player, but surely you haven't had this view all along so we are talking hindsight views on your part here, right?

If performances will never change or have a say in your perception of what he is, what does that tell you?

Average Chelsea side.
Yup. Definitely not an excuser.
Reason we have to buy a proper CB.
He is the reason along with De Gea we have been able to some what weather the storm defensively the last few years. How is the club not being able to buy world-class CB's some how on Smalling? Explain that one.

Ekeke

Along with a few of our CB's in recent years, I reckon he's an alright defender who looks a lot better when we're in a run of good form where he's not necessarily having to do as much as he would otherwise. He's got a lot of strong defensive attributes but - again, like our other CB's - isn't often as consistently reliable as you'd ideally like him to be. But considering plenty have thought him to be finished here at various points, good to see he's doing quite well. Certainly useful when he's on his game.
He did a lot tonight.

Won the ball the 2nd most of any player on the pitch

More than Kante, more than Matic, more than Lindelof

Only Ander won the ball more than he did for us

And thats just looking at tackles, interceptions and clearances. Not even including aerials which is one of the negative agendas that people push on here, that he just wins headers. Well today he didnt win headers and still had a rock solid dominating performance winning the ball on the floor.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Always was, and always will be. I understand we are not talking about a young player, but surely you haven't had this view all along so we are talking hindsight views on your part here, right?

If performances will never change or have a say in your perception of what he is, what does that tell you?

Average Chelsea side.
Yup. Definitely not an excuser.
Reason we have to buy a proper CB.
He is the reason along with De Gea we have been able to some what weather the storm defensively the last few years. How is the club not being able to buy world-class CB's some how on Smalling? Explain that one.
He's been nowhere near as crucial to us as DDG in that regard.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nobody has. But he's been a standout in 2nd place.
Considering the competition for such a spot that's hardly a ringing endorsement. He's been alright but often unreliable and unremarkable, with some good sustained stints of form. He's far closer to the rest than he is to DDG who's in a world of his own in that regard.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's been nowhere near as crucial to us as DDG in that regard.
It is a team sport though. But you can only really point to those two of our back 5 last few years. I think a lot of people wished for more regarding our other players so they wont give it up easily. But I have no doubts about who has won me over from the current lot, or why.

Sylar

Fantastic defender.

Still wanna see him under Ole against the lower teams but would like to see him and lindelof now until end of season if possible (but I'm sure ole will get them all time to impress)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It’s actually #LindelofPlusOne

Smalling is getting replaced in the summer.
Not sure how I feel about that. Who replaced him? How much did we going to get for him?

How is it Lindelof + one? Smalling has come back from injury and been our best defender in the two games he has played. Yet Smalling will be sold and Lindelof is world class already then or, good enough for top 4, how does this work?

haram

Not sure how I feel about that. Who replaced him? How much did we going to get for him?

How is it Lindelof + one? Smalling has come back from injury and been our best defender in the two games he has played. Yet Smalling will be sold and Lindelof is world class already then or, good enough for top 4, how does this work?
When did I say Smalling would be sold? Lindelof is first choice CB. We will sign another CB to partner him and Smalling and Bailly will be back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.