Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

Pretty sure Rudiger was also holding Smalling's shirt at the same time in fairness, so I don't see how they could give a penalty when they're both "at it"

But yeah, even still, he needs to calm it down a bit with VAR coming into the PL
I think the FA and the refs needs to release some guidelines about what is acceptable. Football is a contact sport, and grappling to control or get to a position, especially on set pieces has always been part of the game. The WC showed some wildly inconsistent use of VAR, some ridiculous wrestling moves overlooked while everyday defending was at times punished with penalities.

Everything looks worse on slow-mo and it is one of those obtuse areas where a high level of contact has always been allowed but there is nothing in the laws that has defined that. Same with certain fouls not being enough for a penalty but outside the box it will always be a FK. Most people implicitly understand the difference but again no laws defining it.

VanGaalEra

Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling plus one more top class CB and our central defence is sorted for years to come.

Bola

Pretty sure Rudiger was also holding Smalling's shirt at the same time in fairness, so I don't see how they could give a penalty when they're both "at it"

But yeah, even still, he needs to calm it down a bit with VAR coming into the PL
The Rudiger one was 50 50 at best, probably more on Rudiger lookimg to go down

With VAR, I really wpuld have thought thst Smalling wpuld have been punished more for his grab-pull antics, but he is getting away with it so far. Just be a nightmare defender to cone up against if you are a striker - fast, strong, good in the air, plus a bit of gamesmanship

Originally, i thought he would not suit if ambitions due to his limited ball playing abilities, but with soneine like Lindelof next to him abd a compises midfield, it does nlt matter. I do have a concern when Young is next to him, as he has limited passing ability for a former attacker, but he should hopefully be a rotation option come next season

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Smalling is a good PL defender. Shocking, right?

Sure Smalling is our best defender, he's an absolute beast in the air and on the ground and is rapid quick. I like Smalling, he's our best defender but there is a reason this thread is so up and down after each performance. He's doesn't have the awareness to read a quick passing/inter changing game (i.e vs Liverpool or City). In those games he gets exposed and we're back to square one in this thread of whether he's good or not.

Luckily for us (and Smalling), we don't face a Liverpool or City team every game. Smalling is suited to 90% of the games he plays.

Huge option to have on the bench or in an injury case. But we need to upgrade or at least get a world class leader beside him.
He didn’t even play in the Liverpool game this season, and when he did previous seasons, always performed well.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
In those games he gets exposed and we're back to square one in this thread of whether he's good or not.
Why are you intentionally imagining stuff? When did that exactly happen?

Rossa

With VAR, I really wpuld have thought thst Smalling wpuld have been punished more for his grab-pull antics, but he is getting away with it so far. Just be a nightmare defender to cone up against if you are a striker - fast, strong, good in the air, plus a bit of gamesmanship

Originally, i thought he would not suit if ambitions due to his limited ball playing abilities, but with soneine like Lindelof next to him abd a compises midfield, it does nlt matter. I do have a concern when Young is next to him, as he has limited passing ability for a former attacker, but he should hopefully be a rotation option come next season
Mate, I try not to comment on spelling, but your spellchecker is doing you a massive disservice!

Cabin Clown

Smalling has been our best defender for years IMO. I hope he gets a run of games to prove his worth beside Lindelof over the next period. He also offers a great outlet for set pieces, something we've been bizarrely terrible at offensively and at the back.
That was nothing like a 50/50. Rudiger purposely lead with his back into Smalling to simulate a foul. He should have been booked for it.
Jones just signed a new deal. He isn't going anywhere
If we sell him on we might actually get a few quid for him now. I think it's a smart move from our financial department.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Our best attacker today, shame he didn't score that last attack, but I reckon if he went for it he would be caught in offside position.

Bobski

Easy day for him defensively, didn't really have to do much in terms of obvious defending. The difference in team wide organization compared to earlier in the season is night and day, we lookd structured instead of defenders being forced to put out fires everywhere.

Ekeke

Solid along with Lindelof and had that little phase in the 2nd half where he won 2 balls and put us on the front foot

Last edited:

Mcking

He was fairly comfortable, and didn't have much defending to do. Lindelof cleared every ball.

Devil may care

Slotted straight back into the side and made his case ahead of Bailly and Jones, we just look better with him and Victor as the partnership IMO.

Bwuk

Thought he, Lindelof and Shaw were all outstanding today.

Real shame he couldn’t get on the end of the cross at the end.

Andersons Dietician

If only he’d got something, anything on that ball at the end, other than that thought he was really good and loved that moment he came out to win it twice although I’m surprised that wasn’t called as a high boot.

Sterling Archer

Our best attacker today, shame he didn't score that last attack, but I reckon if he went for it he would be caught in offside position.
Ya, I think the previous offside had him just a tad more hesitant. So close! Good performance though

POF

Excellent today but that offside was so needless. He was up against Mane on the back post. If he'd held his run a split second it would have been 3 points.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
An automatic starter next to lindelof IMO. We look a lot better defensively in these few games hes been back. The hair is awful but it's looking pretty clear who the main 2 are.

el3mel

Was great today. All the defensive line bar Young had the game of their life.

starman

He looks very comfortable with lindelof, hopefully he can stay fit of the rest season. Whether he is first choice or not next season, I think he is the blueprint type of player that is the best partner for Lindelof, as opposed to Jones, Rojo or Bailly types

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very good, he earned his place and hopefully he keeps it for the rest of the season.

Bobski

Was great today. All the defensive line bar Young had the game of their life.
An exaggeration I think. Shaw was notably excellent but it was really quite an easy game for the team defensively. Very few instances of last ditch defending or anything beyond just basic competence. Shows how improved we are as a team defensively, which was always the issue at the start of the season rather than focusing on individuals.

el3mel

An exaggeration I think. Shaw was notably excellent but it was really quite an easy game for the team defensively. Very few instances of last ditch defending or anything beyond just basic competence. Shows how improved we are as a team defensively, which was always the issue at the start of the season rather than focusing on individuals.
Last ditch is an indication of bad defending, that you fecked it up and had to make a last ditch tackle to save it. The complete lack of chances at all means magnificent defensive work.

Fracture90

Great today, shame he didn't score that chance he had. His passing seems to be a bit better and he's always making himself open for a pass from DDG, refreshing to see.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems the time off has done him the world of good. This is peak mike Smalling.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not everyone is delusional enough to rate Smalling except you both here. I have seen a goalkeeper with better feet & footballing ability than him , He is lucky that he is a defender , if He was a striker or midfielder you would see how bad a footballer he is , worse than Lukaku in term of playing football. Whatever , he can stay being a squad player and benchwarmer , cause i don't think any offensive manager would fancy starting him. Your chance to watch him play week in week out has gone along with Mourinho. You guys should never wish him sacked.
You should've never wished him banished to the bench, worked against you. Enjoy him starting every game now

Bobski

Last ditch is an indication of bad defending, that you fecked it up and had to make a last ditch tackle to save it. The complete lack of chances at all means magnificent defensive work.
Yes, but I would be crediting the team and manager for much of that rather than individuals. Played Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in the last month and conceded 1 goal, players starting to trust each other again defensively. Team fundamentals were completely lost under Mourinho with his tantrums and excuses, no-one looked good or as if they were on the same page, it was a mess.

Smalling and Lindelof seem comfortable with each other. I like Bailly but he clearly unsettles the others at times with his random moments.

Havak

Pokemon master
I personally thought he'd have a tougher task staking his claim to be first choice again along with Lindelof, but he's managed to claim that place in three appearances. Just has to put to bed once and for all that he is comfortably better than Bailly, Jones, and of course Rojo. Anyone arguing the case now is just in denial with some kind of agenda.

Smalling and Lindelof is the partnership until a clearly top class CB is signed by the cub. There is nothing else to say on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.