Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizy

So you are saying a team that capable plays fast moving attacking play decided to change their style to long balls against Smalling? That doesn’t make sense.

Only Shaw? You really are hater.
Hating who? I rate Smalling, he's our best defender. I was just making the point he gets caught ball watching against fast passing sides.

I used Liverpool as an example of a team capable of using this style. It's not my or Smallings fault that they came to Old Trafford and changed to long balls ffs :lol:

Also what's so out of this world that I said Shaw was the only one who had to defend properly? I didn't criticize any of our defender, it's not their fault that Liverpool were shite and made it easy for them.

Sylar

Absolutely fantastic since coming back and a great game today. Him and Lindelof making for a good partnership. Its crazy how we look even better defensively under a more attacking coach.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Hating who? I rate Smalling, he's our best defender. I was just making the point he gets caught ball watching against fast passing sides.

I used Liverpool as an example of a team capable of using this style. It's not my or Smallings fault that they came to Old Trafford and changed to long balls ffs :lol:

Also what's so out of this world that I said Shaw was the only one who had to defend properly? I didn't criticize any of our defender, it's not their fault that Liverpool were shite and made it easy for them.
What point? If you want to make point prove it don’t just talk, that’s why I call you a hater, your hating point towards him by saying that he got exposed in a game like Liverpool and City because he can’t play against fast passing sides clearly doesn’t make any sense. He clearly played well against Liverpool in the past and even yesterday.

You can keep go on with your long ball assumption but the fact is that Liverpool tried to play quick passing (Klopp was shouting to them to play quicker), Smalling didn’t get exposed and we nullified it.

All our defenders defended properly, not sure why you think only Shaw. They hardly even create chances and give de Gea problem, credit due to our defender defend properly that makes Liverpool looks shite not because they made it easy for us.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
What's all this losing mind over a CB not being technically great? It's a fecking defender, the job is to defend. As long as he can play a a few yards' pass or breakt the lines from time to time it's good enough for a strong CB. We've got Lindelof for the skills.

The legitimate issue with him has mostly been his fitness, occasional mistakes and shirt-pulling. He needs stability I think. Was tremendous alongside Blind (again, a baller) which has so far been his only consistent pairing.

Bobski

Thought both him and Lindelof were below average, poor games to be fair.
I think tonight shows the difficulty when playing behind a new midfield with other pieces chucked in. Less assurance from from the pair of them, they got too much credit for a fantastic team structured defensive showing against Liverpool and the edginess tonight might be chucked their way as well.

They got through it, had a few difficult moments but every defensive pairing will.

Smalling looked a little edgy tonight, no blatant errors but just not as composed as his recent games.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Seriously?! Thought they were great and had Palace under control. I missed the opening 10minutes of the game but we were never really put under any serious threat. Palace had 2 shots on goal.
Yes, actually I think they had more than enough chances to score another goal. It's not their fault entirely, but I thought they were poor.

I think tonight shows the difficulty when playing behind a new midfield with other pieces chucked in. Less assurance from from the pair of them, they got too much credit for a fantastic team structured defensive showing against Liverpool and the edginess tonight might be chucked their way as well.

They got through it, had a few difficult moments but every defensive pairing will.

Smalling looked a little edgy tonight, no blatant errors but just not as composed as his recent games.
Yes, Ole said today that midfield structure helped our defence a lot, but tonight we probably haven't seen it. It also didn't help that no one else could take the ball off Zaha and Townsend.

Bwuk

After his brilliant performance v Liverpool I thought he was poor tonight. Doesn’t help that Young was dreadful at RB.

A better side than Palace would of scored more than one tonight.

Devil may care

Two or three dodgy moments tonight, not awful but not at the level he's been the two previous games.

Bogga

I'm not saying he's bad or anything... But I just can't get rid of that nervous feeling when he gets the ball in tight situations. He can barely put a pass in front of the full backs when he's got all the time in the world.

I love his aerial abilities and his positioning. But the lack of creativity and vision when needed and the bad passes that kills the flow is quite annoying.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Which chances? I wasn't nervous once during the entire game, thought we handled them absolutely fine. Also Smalling and Lindelof created our second goal.
I think they had few chances that could result in goal. First, the goal was comic defending from the entire defence, in the first half Townsend's chance could have resulted in goal which was between Smalling and Fred. Batshuai could have scored after Townsend's cross, it was almost a free header. Also, the set piece situation in which they illegally scored was also bad defending from our defence.

I think there was one or two situations more, but this was more than enough for another goal.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Important contribution offensively today together with Lindelof. Think he played even better than against Liverpool as he had a lot of positions to cover simultaneously today, and managed well. Against Liverpool our CB's kept structure and discipline very well, but the whole team did too, so not many tough decisions to make. Today both CB's got dragged out and had to do a lot of risk calculation, but in reality they did deserve the clean sheet for that performance. The team didn't but our CB's did very well in my opinion.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Two or three dodgy moments tonight, not awful but not at the level he's been the two previous games.
Dodgy moments, really? I can remember him misplacing a forward pass to Shaw, other than that he was pretty much close to everything defensively? He wasn't dominant on the ground but with no protection you have to be careful so it's more than understandable, as he left no room in behind which are where Palace gets really dangerous.

He was alright tonight but he again showed why we need to upgrade after the goal. Under the slightest pressure he retreats to the edge of the box and defends deep. Gaps were opening up all over, we need players confident enough to push forward whatever is happening.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was alright tonight but he again showed why we need to upgrade after the goal. Under the slightest pressure he retreats to the edge of the box and defends deep. Gaps were opening up all over, we need players confident enough to push forward whatever is happening.
We were under slight pressure after the goal? Smalling was the reason for that pressure because we defended deep? What are you saying here? I would love a specific example of the situation where he moved "the wrong way" in those minutes. Because with no cover playing alongside a 'not so quick and not so strong' guy like Lindelof you don't want to leave him in potential 1-1 against Zaha, Benteke or Townsend.

Loublaze

ATLien
Which chances? I wasn't nervous once during the entire game, thought we handled them absolutely fine. Also Smalling and Lindelof created our second goal.
Palace were all over us after their goal. They looked more likely to equalize than United getting a third. We gifted them chances with sloppy play and passing. I remember a poor kick by De Gea that went right to a Palace player who Shaw carelessly barged into for a FK in a dangerous area. Milivojevic placed it just wide IIRC. I also remember Zaha giving Young a torrid time and looking a threat whenever he ran out our defense. At one point Palace got three consecutive corners and the stadium was rocking. The third United goal was totally against the run of play

cyberman

Palace were all over us after their goal. They looked more likely to equalize than United getting a third. We gifted them chances with sloppy play and passing. I remember a poor kick by De Gea that went right to a Palace player who Shaw carelessly barged into for a FK in a dangerous area. Milivojevic placed it just wide IIRC. I also remember Zaha giving Young a torrid time and looking a threat whenever he ran out our defense. At one point Palace got three consecutive corners and the stadium was rocking. The third United goal was totally against the run of play
Teams getting corners or defending free kicks isn't poor defending. That's a stupidly high standard you're setting. What you're saying is they shouldn't get a sniff and we should cruise through games for us to have defended well.
Our defence stood up to the pressure just fine. De Gea was well protected.

Loublaze

ATLien
Teams getting corners or defending free kicks isn't poor defending. That's a stupidly high standard you're setting. What you're saying is they shouldn't get a sniff and we should cruise through games for us to have defended well.
Our defence stood up to the pressure just fine. De Gea was well protected.
I should have made it clear that my post wasn't about poor defending, it was about Palace getting creating chances which @RedSky claimed they didn't. I for one was nervous after they scored and up until Young got the third

We were under slight pressure after the goal? Smalling was the reason for that pressure because we defended deep? What are you saying here? I would love a specific example of the situation where he moved "the wrong way" in those minutes. Because with no cover playing alongside a 'not so quick and not so strong' guy like Lindelof you don't want to leave him in potential 1-1 against Zaha, Benteke or Townsend.
We as a team dropped deep which meant there was too much space between defence, midfield and attack. We couldn't get the ball out and Palace were getting loads of space in between our lines. How deep we are is dictated by the centre backs and given we know Lindelof likes to be further up and Smalling doesn't, it's fairly safe to assume Smalling was setting the line.

Josh 76

Smalling is a good choice for a back up defender. He has been at the club long enough to be a good servant, he knows the club, won't moan when not playing and is good around the dressing room.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Apart from that pass he shanked out that was meant for Shaw (and it wasn't a terrible effort tbf, he doesn't normally try those) I thought his passing was better than it's been for quite some time. Played a lot of forward passes out wide and with pace.

Defensively okay, given the circumstances that there was no shield in midfield, and Palace players were just walking through Fred, and Sanchez's tracking back was non existent.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I should have made it clear that my post wasn't about poor defending, it was about Palace getting creating chances which @RedSky claimed they didn't. I for one was nervous after they scored and up until Young got the third
But that wasn't creating chances... that was Palace simply putting pressure on us which we actually defended well given in that period they only had a tame Meyer shot on goal. That was it. 1 shot on goal was all they mustered from their pressure.

Sylar

Surprised, thought he did ok. Wasnt poor or bad imo. Thought the defence did well to restrict their chances especially at 2-1 under a bit of pressure.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We as a team dropped deep which meant there was too much space between defence, midfield and attack. We couldn't get the ball out and Palace were getting loads of space in between our lines. How deep we are is dictated by the centre backs and given we know Lindelof likes to be further up and Smalling doesn't, it's fairly safe to assume Smalling was setting the line.
We know Lindelof likes to set a high line, we just do, while we also know for sure that Smalling clearly doesn't like that. Yupp, seems legit.

We know Lindelof likes to set a high line, we just do, while we also know for sure that Smalling clearly doesn't like that. Yupp, seems legit.
It's pretty obvious to be fair. You just have to watch them play a few times.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not doubting you see a few situations that reinforces that, but I've seen a few situations that could prove the opposite too so in the end it is just your opinion mate.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Defensive line depth is set by whoever is playing CB at the time? First I've heard of it his

Defensive line depth is set by whoever is playing CB at the time? First I've heard of it his
Of course it is. Coaches set where they want it to be but its up to the two centre backs to actually do it, and under pressure they'll often be forced deeper. It takes brilliant defenders to break it and push the defence out.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Of course it is. Coaches set where they want it to be but its up to the two centre backs to actually do it, and under pressure they'll often be forced deeper. It takes brilliant defenders to break it and push the defence out.
You can't have watched Smalling play as in games where we are set out to have a high line he is the one always pushing forward and others sometimes struggle to keep up. We have conceded goals from fullbacks ruining the offside trap in those situations before, so you have to take that into consideration when playing against a counter-attacking team. He is usually the one who sets the line so you are right about that. Yesterday, there was a moment Lindelof looked very uncomfortable with Batshuayi roaming behind him with that high line set by Smalling. He looked a bit uncertain of where to move. Nothing came of it, as he kept position and eventually fell back, but just something I noticed.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Smalling's best ever season, and easily the best season any of our defenders have had since Rio and Vidic fell away, was in the same season that we played the highest line since he's been a starter. Ole likely wants even higher again, but that should suit Smalling just fine. Smalling has always been at his best when he's playing on the front foot and being aggressive.

Just because he's continued to be our best over the last few years where we've played a very deep line doesn't mean that that's the only way (or even the best way) that he's capable of playing.

Man Utd 3:2 Southampton

sam147

An absolute joke of a footballer. Maybe if he came through an academy he mightve been better at the basics but he is nowhere near good enough. All he is good at is heading the ball. He needs to be replaced in the summer. Next season he will be 100% useless with VAR being implemented, he always has his hands on the opponents shirts to make up for his poor positioning. Smalling and Young on that right side is mid-table standard. He was absolutely all over the place defensively. And this is the type of game where he shows how much of a passenger he is when we are in possession and chasing a lead. He never offers himself for the ball, when he does get the ball he goes sidewards to Young who then proceeds to boot it. People on here can defend him as much as they can but his on the ball ability is nowhere near good enough for the modern game, let alone a Man United team.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Thought he was very good, apart from that incident that could have been a penalty. Made so many crucial headers. Also, our corners and set pieces look pointless when he isn't in the box.

An absolute joke of a footballer. Maybe if he came through an academy he mightve been better at the basics but he is nowhere near good enough. All he is good at is heading the ball. He needs to be replaced in the summer. Next season he will be 100% useless with VAR being implemented, he always has his hands on the opponents shirts to make up for his poor positioning. Smalling and Young on that right side is mid-table standard. He was absolutely all over the place defensively. And this is the type of game where he shows how much of a passenger he is when we are in possession and chasing a lead. He never offers himself for the ball, when he does get the ball he goes sidewards to Young who then proceeds to boot it. People on here can defend him as much as they can but his on the ball ability is nowhere near good enough for the modern game, let alone a Man United team.
:lol:

Loublaze

ATLien
Yet he continues to play whenever fit, racking up more minutes than his fellow CBs every season since Fergie left. He has limitations but his positives vastly outweigh them. You'll be posting this again same time next season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dominating performance by him, and for once overshadowing his partner.

Having a Gk chicken out to deal with any crossing, his aerial ability is so important to the defense.

Ekeke

Yup Smalling did the bulk of the defending, with Lindelof mostly just winning headers - though it was a lot of them.

Both were fairly solid other than yes, Smalling probably getting away with what should have been a penalty

Devil may care

I thought he was shaky in the first half, better in the second, don't think he's looked totally comfortable in the last 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.