g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
An absolute joke of a footballer. Maybe if he came through an academy he mightve been better at the basics but he is nowhere near good enough. All he is good at is heading the ball. He needs to be replaced in the summer. Next season he will be 100% useless with VAR being implemented, he always has his hands on the opponents shirts to make up for his poor positioning. Smalling and Young on that right side is mid-table standard. He was absolutely all over the place defensively. And this is the type of game where he shows how much of a passenger he is when we are in possession and chasing a lead. He never offers himself for the ball, when he does get the ball he goes sidewards to Young who then proceeds to boot it. People on here can defend him as much as they can but his on the ball ability is nowhere near good enough for the modern game, let alone a Man United team.
Err, what? There was a 5 minute period in the first half where he was a bit shaky - the incident that was almost a penalty (but rightfully wasn't), and another a couple of minutes later where he almost got caught out. Otherwise he was great defensively.

Shimo

Couple eh moments but, still very good. Will definitely have to learn the art of defending without the shirt grab next season but, am sure he'll adapt. I said it right when he was getting back to fitness, he is the one player in our side that is always a threat in offensive set pieces.

Bobski

Had some very odd moments today, that one when he tried to flick the ball over their forwards head when he was the deepest defender was very unlike Smalling, a strange risk for him to take, lucky to get away with it. We have looked far less secure with Matic out.

sam147

Thought he was very good, apart from that incident that could have been a penalty. Made so many crucial headers. Also, our corners and set pieces look pointless when he isn't in the box.

I agree he is good at heading. But apart from that he spreads his nervousness on the ball across the defence. His second best attribute is his recovery pace which he is losing. Add VAR being implemented next season to that and you have a recipe for disaster. This is a Man United team, we should have a CB who can do more then one thing, be good at heading, on the ball and in the tackle. Its as simple as that.

:lol:
I agree he is good at heading. But apart from that he spreads his nervousness on the ball across the defence. His second be
Yet he continues to play whenever fit, racking up more minutes than his fellow CBs every season since Fergie left. He has limitations but his positives vastly outweigh them. You'll be posting this again same time next season.
If you say so pal, he wont be near the first team next season if we want to challenge for the league. Valencia racked up more minutes at RB then anyone since Sir Alex left, does that make him a good RB? No. Smalling was the best of a bad bunch.

Oldyella

Lucky with the penalty which could have been given, but that aside was ok. Defence pretty much picks itself now, issues with RB aside.

Red Royal

VAR is seriously going to mean he changes his shirt grabbing technique. Pity as he has formed a decent partnership with Lindelov.

MadDogg

People always talk about how limited he is on the ball (and it is a fair criticism), but it's always ignored how often he gets us straight back on the attack by just dominating the opposition striker when the other team try to attack us. Whether it's on the ground or in the air, he just steps in and knocks the ball straight to one of our midfielders to instantly more us forward again.

Kag

An absolute joke of a footballer. Maybe if he came through an academy he mightve been better at the basics but he is nowhere near good enough. All he is good at is heading the ball. He needs to be replaced in the summer. Next season he will be 100% useless with VAR being implemented, he always has his hands on the opponents shirts to make up for his poor positioning. Smalling and Young on that right side is mid-table standard. He was absolutely all over the place defensively. And this is the type of game where he shows how much of a passenger he is when we are in possession and chasing a lead. He never offers himself for the ball, when he does get the ball he goes sidewards to Young who then proceeds to boot it. People on here can defend him as much as they can but his on the ball ability is nowhere near good enough for the modern game, let alone a Man United team.
He won just about every ball kicked into our half ya whopper.

Loublaze

ATLien
I agree he is good at heading. But apart from that he spreads his nervousness on the ball across the defence. His second be

If you say so pal, he wont be near the first team next season if we want to challenge for the league. Valencia racked up more minutes at RB then anyone since Sir Alex left, does that make him a good RB? No. Smalling was the best of a bad bunch.
What a bore. You're the same poster who thought Ole wouldn't play him again while others are fit, said some shit about wishing Mourinho wasn't sacked because his end was Smalling's as well. You obviously shouldn't be making any predictions about Smalling here, might help if you actually wish he stayed so you might actually get the opposite. Smalling is not going anywhere.

Not everyone is delusional enough to rate Smalling except you both here. I have seen a goalkeeper with better feet & footballing ability than him , He is lucky that he is a defender , if He was a striker or midfielder you would see how bad a footballer he is , worse than Lukaku in term of playing football. Whatever , he can stay being a squad player and benchwarmer , cause i don't think any offensive manager would fancy starting him. Your chance to watch him play week in week out has gone along with Mourinho. You guys should never wish him sacked.

Bobski

God help us with him as starter and VAR
Do people think he is incapable of adapting to VAR? I mean, all this crying and moaning about a future penalty he might give away without allowing a professional defender the opportunity to adapt to a change of rules. He is not a stupid man, has given away one penalty for grabbing in his career, maybe trust that he will change when he has to.

sport2793

Definitely think VAR could be the end of him but he is still better than Jones for me. With that said, bringing in someone like Koulibaly to replace everyone bar Lindelof is absolutely necessary for United to take the next step.

sam147

What a bore. You're the same poster who thought Ole wouldn't play him again while others are fit, said some shit about wishing Mourinho wasn't sacked because his end was Smalling's as well. You obviously shouldn't be making any predictions about Smalling here, might help if you actually wish he stayed so you might actually get the opposite. Smalling is not going anywhere.
Again Ole is playing him for the reason above, his heading ability. Without Smalling we are not great in the air in our box and the oppositions box. That shows Ole is being pragmatic with his decisions and Smalling only has to compete with Phil Jones. The point you are clearly missing is we should have a CB who can head the ball and actually be a good defender. Come summer I expect Smalling to be a benchwarmer once we sign a competent CB. So continue the stalking mate. Just because I was wrong on Ole starting Smalling does not make Smalling United standard.

R'hllor

Do people think he is incapable of adapting to VAR? I mean, all this crying and moaning about a future penalty he might give away without allowing a professional defender the opportunity to adapt to a change of rules. He is not a stupid man, has given away one penalty for grabbing in his career, maybe trust that he will change when he has to.
Dunno about people but i highly doubt that he can adapt, there was a moment tonight when he tried to close a player with basketball style of defending, didnt even attempt to block a cross with his feet.

Loublaze

ATLien
Again Ole is playing him for the reason above, his heading ability. Without Smalling we are not great in the air in our box and the oppositions box. That shows Ole is being pragmatic with his decisions and Smalling only has to compete with Phil Jones. The point you are clearly missing is we should have a CB who can head the ball and actually be a good defender. Come summer I expect Smalling to be a benchwarmer once we sign a competent CB. So continue the stalking mate. Just because I was wrong on Ole starting Smalling does not make Smalling United standard.
Oh are you Ole's assistant or are you a wizard? How do you know what's in his head? So if Smalling doesn't play you're admitting we'd be screwed anyway because our other CBs are not aerially dominant. That makes Smalling more valuable. How is it stalking when im merely bringing up some bullshit post you made in response to one of mine? Stop making predictions you clearly suck at them

Brightonian

Massive today aside from the pen moment, don't underestimate the sheer quantity of excellent Southampton crosses he (and to a lesser extent Lindelof and Shaw) defended. Also continued to step out decisively. Shirt-grabbing habit persists though.

I'm a fan of his, he'll offer good competition to whoever we buy to try and partner Lindelof. Lindelof, someone new, Smalling and Bailly will make for a very respectable core four options at CB, and Tuanzebe should be brought back to the squad as the fifth. Jones and Rojo can go, they're barely ever fit to play anyway.

sam147

Oh are you Ole's assistant or are you wizard? How do you know what's in his head? So if Smalling doesn't play you're admitting we'd be screwed anyway because our other CBs are not aerially dominant. That makes Smalling more valuable. How is it stalking when im bringing up some bullshit post you made in response to one of my posts? Stop making predictions you clearly suck at them
If im Ole's assistant you must be the third wheel in Smallings relationship with his wife, seeing as you're so wound up by a post. It's an opinion. Learn to relax and not get offended by everything you read. Again, Smalling is 6'4, he is clearly not good on the ball and average defensively. Therefore, by deduction he is playing mostly due to his aerial ability. And I agree Smalling is playing currently because he has to Phil Jones to compete with. That is why I said Smalling will be a benchwarmer 'Come Summer' when we sign a new CB who can head the ball, defend and pass. Unless you think he is better than Lindelof as well.

AgentP

Good performance. He just needs to stop with the constant shirt grabbing. It's not only a foul but it is also very annoying to watch. I find it unsportsmanlike.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Was a leader back there today. Every time we lost a bit of shape he was there hauling everybody on. Shouted at his teammates in particular McTominay even it wasn't his fault, for leaving Smalling marking 2 guys. This happens every game and Smalling usually deals with it no matter where the ball end up. He makes sure he gets enough on it to stop it, even if he has no right to. Amazing defender.

Today he bullied Southampton and put us on the front foot countless times. Very important for our attacking shape to have a defender that is so smart and makes the right decisions as well as being able to bully opposition. A lot of people are incapable of differentiating between good and average performances from CB. If a defender makes one last ditch tackle or makes a wonderful take down touch, thats it world class. It's hilarious. Learn to understand football and particularly defending. Smalling has some straight hating rats around here losing their shit from him not making enough mistakes and penalties against us. They literally wish us to concede penalties. Is it so old fashioned now to appreciate a game of football based on performances and not on hyperbolic pre-exsisting agendas? It is so laughable I'm embarrassed actually.

People not recognising his performance today as top class is not worth taken seriously.

Mcking

He looked shaky, but a very good performance nonetheless. We were undone by two stunners.

Bobski

Dunno about people but i highly doubt that he can adapt, there was a moment tonight when he tried to close a player with basketball style of defending, didnt even attempt to block a cross with his feet.
They don't do defending anymore in the NBA.

MadDogg

If im Ole's assistant you must be the third wheel in Smallings relationship with his wife, seeing as you're so wound up by a post. It's an opinion. Learn to relax and not get offended by everything you read. Again, Smalling is 6'4, he is clearly not good on the ball and average defensively.
He's not 'average defensively'. He's one of the best pure defenders in the league, so you saying that he's only average somewhat invalidates the rest of your comments as you are obviously under-rating him in that regard.

Loublaze

ATLien
If im Ole's assistant you must be the third wheel in Smallings relationship with his wife, seeing as you're so wound up by a post. It's an opinion. Learn to relax and not get offended by everything you read. Once more Smalling is 6'4, he is clearly not good on the ball and average defensively. Therefore, by deduction he is playing mostly due to his aerial ability. And I agree Smalling is playing currently because he has to Phil Jones to compete with. That is why I said Smalling will be a benchwarmer 'Come Summer' when we sign a new CB who can head the ball, defend and pass. Unless you think he is better than Lindelof as well.
Im not wound up, this is just who I am. That post of yours I quoted was absolute BS in all honesty. If you think the only thing Smalling offers is aerial ability then I don't know what to say to you. Stats from last season showed that Smalling also leads our other CBs in most interceptions per 90 minutes. He anticipates the passage of play better than the others, and for this reason he seldom commits to reckless challenges that we've become accustomed to from the likes of Jones and Bailly. He's also the only genuine goal threat we have out the back. Looking at our options, you can't leave Smalling out of a central defensive pairing. Maybe you'll get your wish if United splash on another CB this summer, but Smalling has already survived Rojo, Lindelof and Bailly. Im willing to bet we'll be having this same conversation 12 months down the line. I do think he is better than Lindelof. What has Lindelof done at United exactly? He's only started to look the part since Ole got here 2 seconds ago

Revan

Assumptionman
He is going to have trouble when VAR starts getting used in EPL, but until then, he can use all the dirty things as long as he doesn't get punished for them. And for whatever reason, he has the Pepe/Suarez/Diego Costa effect of getting away with murder in games.

His lack of ability to pass is still a problem. Their first goal came after he lost the ball.

In defending he is fine. In aerial duels, he channeled his inner Van Diijk today and won everything.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I hate the way he defends. Always gives the ref a decision to make.

JPB

Some of you guys make me really, really mad.
VAR isn't an issue for him. Do you all just repeat what the last guy said without watching the games yourself? He was brillant against Chelsea in the FA Cup just a few games ago where VAR was used.

Revan

Assumptionman
The last game Smalling played with VAR he was one of our best players
No one is saying that he will cause 50 penalties for season with VAR. He has played what now, one or two matches with VAR, it is hardly a proof that VAR won't effect him. In many games he gets away with pulling the shirt of the opponent, and with VAR, some of those cases will be penalties.

Of course, he might realize that too and just not do it.

El Jefe

Watching him on the ball is an eye sore. Good defender but I'm hoping after this season he's no longer a first choice defender.

Revan

Assumptionman
If im Ole's assistant you must be the third wheel in Smallings relationship with his wife, seeing as you're so wound up by a post. It's an opinion. Learn to relax and not get offended by everything you read. Again, Smalling is 6'4, he is clearly not good on the ball and average defensively. Therefore, by deduction he is playing mostly due to his aerial ability. And I agree Smalling is playing currently because he has to Phil Jones to compete with. That is why I said Smalling will be a benchwarmer 'Come Summer' when we sign a new CB who can head the ball, defend and pass. Unless you think he is better than Lindelof as well.
I don't think that he playing cause of his aerial ability. He is playing cause he is our second best centerback, and our second most fit centerback (Lindelof doesn't seem to ever get injured, the other three gets more injured than Mike).

A-man

A bit more shaky than normal but overall a good game.

Smalling and Lindelof won a combined 13 aerial battles today. :drool:

Southampton with 3 shots on target, 2 of which were worldies.
Those stats are insane. Smalling won 6 aerials and lost zero, Lindelof won 7 and lost zero.

People always talk about how limited he is on the ball (and it is a fair criticism), but it's always ignored how often he gets us straight back on the attack by just dominating the opposition striker when the other team try to attack us. Whether it's on the ground or in the air, he just steps in and knocks the ball straight to one of our midfielders to instantly more us forward again.
I would say most of Smallings headers end up back at the opposite team. He is very good at winning them but there is no precision.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The penalty you all seem wanted given against us for him holding his shirt, why aren't you as outraged about the attacker diving? Smalling got very close and held his shirt for a good second. Do you all watch the slow mo replays on repeat only focusing on him holding his shirt and you somehow forget to look at anything else? That was a clear dive. Smalling didn't touch his foot to make him fall over like that, and his hand on him surely wasn't enough to give penalty or anything. You would have 40 penalties every game on corners. Smalling clearly had control in that situation and Bertrand who is not an attacker should have gotten a yellow for going to ground because he was beaten.

Bobski

No one is saying that he will cause 50 penalties for season with VAR. He has played what now, one or two matches with VAR, it is hardly a proof that VAR won't effect him. In many games he gets away with pulling the shirt of the opponent, and with VAR, some of those cases will be penalties.

Of course, he might realize that too and just not do it.
A mind-blowing thought.

Revan

Assumptionman
The penalty you all seem wanted given against us for him holding his shirt, why aren't you as outraged about the attacker diving? Smalling got very close and held his shirt for a good second. Do you all watch the slow mo replays on repeat only focusing on him holding his shirt and you somehow forget to look at anything else? That was a clear dive. Smalling didn't touch his foot to make him fall over like that, and his hand on him surely wasn't enough to give penalty or anything. You would have 40 penalties every game on corners. Smalling clearly had control in that situation and Bertrand who is not an attacker should have gotten a yellow for going to ground because he was beaten.
That's possible, but the moment you pull the shirt of the attacker, you are at mercy of the referee. The defender usually gets away with it, but it is still a big risk, and with VAR it is going to be an unacceptable risk.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I would say most of Smallings headers end up back at the opposite team. He is very good at winning them but there is no precision.
He is our best at directing them at our players, what do you mean? The headers he wins is often the hardest because he have to beat the best player of the opposition team so its natural that he clears a few, especially when we have no numbers in midfield and defend deep. When we're on the front foot or if he gets enough time he has very good accuracy. I mean, this game alone he won 3-4 pretty difficult headers and they ended up at Pogba, Lukaku or Pereira feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.