g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I love how he always want to show up in important games. He always shows real heart in these games, and tries to get that match-winning goal. Was very close today, too bad he didn't throw himself at that last one, it would have been a perfect ending for us.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No coincidence we’ve stopped haemorrhaging chances now he’s back in the team, he and Lindelof were imperious. Hopefully no injuries to either of them as they’re clearly our best pairing.

SteveW

Our best CB. I'm sure the same people will still call for him to be sold this summer though

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Liverpool were pathetic in attack with Salah and Mane having stinkers, our CBs were never under the cosh. But Smalling did well against VVD especially on set pieces, and the Liverpool CB is very dangerous in the air. Smalling was also very dangerous in attack and could've quite easily won the game for us.

Last edited:

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We can defend long balls and crosses, amazing what a CB that can head the ball can help achieve.

Dante

Average bang
Ole has made us a more solid team at the back, but teams have continued to make chances against us (the Tottenham game being the most notable example).

But since Smalling has come back, we've looked impenetrable. He HAS TO play when fit.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Smalling is a good PL defender. Shocking, right?

Sure Smalling is our best defender, he's an absolute beast in the air and on the ground and is rapid quick. I like Smalling, he's our best defender but there is a reason this thread is so up and down after each performance. He's doesn't have the awareness to read a quick passing/inter changing game (i.e vs Liverpool or City). In those games he gets exposed and we're back to square one in this thread of whether he's good or not.

Luckily for us (and Smalling), we don't face a Liverpool or City team every game. Smalling is suited to 90% of the games he plays.

Huge option to have on the bench or in an injury case. But we need to upgrade or at least get a world class leader beside him.
I hope you didn’t miss the game again.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Thought he was absolutely brilliant today (and I’m not normally a fan). Superb performance.

Tapori

A fantastic solid 7-8 standard defender that has really evolved from some erratic form. I've been particularly impressed on how much he has worked on his passing which is now quite decent actually without being spectacular.

Still has a Wes "I think I've left the oven on" Brown type moment within him during a match but these are becoming less and less which proves my point.
Still struggles against mazy dribblers and can get caught out on quick-counters but very dependable and solid compliment to Lindelof.

Trizy

I hope you didn’t miss the game again.
Maybe you missed the game or misread my post. I used Liverpool and City as examples of playing fast moving attacking play which they are capable of. However, Liverpool played long balls which is actually his strength. Shaw was the only one who had to defend properly today.

My point still stands.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
His lofted pass with the outside of his foot to relieve pressure displayed good vision and understanding of play.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't get why neither of our defenders are capable in attack as he is? It seems like his both heading and on ball ability, plus movement in the attack is far better than any of our other CBs combined. He was at the end of few good crosses today and it wasn't because he is tall, but because his movement was good. We should use him more often as an attacking outlet when we are chasing the result.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ole has made us a more solid team at the back, but teams have continued to make chances against us (the Tottenham game being the most notable example).

But since Smalling has come back, we've looked impenetrable. He HAS TO play when fit.
He and Lindelof looked really class. It’s hard to find a CB that could then give massive improvement to replace any of them.

Alemar

The best thing about Big Mike is that Jones doesn't even make a bench anymore. Superb performance today, and could even score (also it was him making a pass for a dissallowed own goal).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maybe you missed the game or misread my post. I used Liverpool and City as examples of playing fast moving attacking play which they are capable of. However, Liverpool played long balls which is actually his strength. Shaw was the only one who had to defend properly today.

My point still stands.
So you are saying a team that capable plays fast moving attacking play decided to change their style to long balls against Smalling? That doesn’t make sense.

Only Shaw? You really are hater.

Giggs86

Good game but I still believe he is a good bench option and not a starter level to play for us. A world class CB buries that cross in the back of the net and that's the level of CB we should be looking at.

Ekeke

An exaggeration I think. Shaw was notably excellent but it was really quite an easy game for the team defensively. Very few instances of last ditch defending or anything beyond just basic competence. Shows how improved we are as a team defensively, which was always the issue at the start of the season rather than focusing on individuals.
Agree. Shaw actually had a test now and again from Salah trying to take him on, but I think Mane and Firminho/Sturridge played a match that was quite comfortable to deal with. Obviously Lindelof and Smalling played well against what they were up against but I went into the match thinking we'd be tested a lot more than they actually were.

Ekeke

Good game but I still believe he is a good bench option and not a starter level to play for us. A world class CB buries that cross in the back of the net and that's the level of CB we should be looking at.
Weird comment. He's got one of the better goalscoring records for CBs in the league and he's pretty much our only CB who ever scores

Loublaze

ATLien
This is really harsh considering Smalling is the only CB we have who's a real goal threat. Are you being serious? Smalling has scored 18 goals for United, including 3 goals against City, a goal against Chelsea and a variety of goals to boot (with either foot, volleys, shots and headers). If you're criticizing him for missing that chance then what do you think of our other CBs who contribute nothing in attack? Jones has 5 goals for United since 2011

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wouldn't a world class CB also score his goal against City then?
Or what about an assist like this ?

I also just remembered him just throwing Salah to the floor for no particular reason, the look of Salah's face.

Last edited:

NoPace

The best thing about Big Mike is that Jones doesn't even make a bench anymore. Superb performance today, and could even score (also it was him making a pass for a dissallowed own goal).
I did find myself thinking that with Jones instead of Smalling out there we find a way to lose 1-0.
For that reason alone it seems pretty clear we should go into next season with a starter signed to partner Lindelof and keep Smalling and Bailly as the other CBs, sell off Jones and Rojo and if we need a 5th then bring back Tuanzebe, or have him go on loan for one last year (or even just until January and bring him back if we have injury issues).

Ekeke

I did find myself thinking that with Jones instead of Smalling out there we find a way to lose 1-0.
For that reason alone it seems pretty clear we should go into next season with a starter signed to partner Lindelof and keep Smalling and Bailly as the other CBs, sell off Jones and Rojo and if we need a 5th then bring back Tuanzebe, or have him go on loan for one last year (or even just until January and bring him back if we have injury issues).
:lol: You're not going to enjoy this summer

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Smalling has 3/3 cleansheets since Ole took over. Away to Fulham, away to Chelsea, home against Liverpool.

That's a very good record.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Glad to see Smalling get some credit. He isn't the best on the ball but that shouldn't take away from the fact that he's clearly a quality CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.