Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's the few seconds he wasted in turning his body and using his right foot to make a 5 yard pass. It's an instant pass with his left foot but he doesn't have the confidence to do it. In this particular instant, these few seconds might be inconsequential. But when he wins the ball from an opponent (which he does a lot being a good defender), the first few seconds are absolutely crucial because the opposition is disorganized and there is a chance to create an easy goal scoring opportunity. So, a good pass between the lines or an early release in such situations would be the trademark of a good counter-attacking team which we try to be.

I like Smalling because he is our best defender but there's no question that he is a hindrance to the way we want to play. I know Jose's words don't mean much here nowadays, but he said after the Europa League final that he resorted to long balls to beat the press because Smalling can't pass it out from the back. For that matter, none of our defenders can do it consistently. That's the reason we got Lindelof and are now after Alderweireld.
This. This is exactly it.

El Jefe

I am physically sick every time I watch this.

Let's not forget his key mistakes and own goals. He needs to leave.
How does one not see what is wrong with this. It's another clear example of his shocking technique.

It's the few seconds he wasted in turning his body and using his right foot to make a 5 yard pass. It's an instant pass with his left foot but he doesn't have the confidence to do it. In this particular instant, these few seconds might be inconsequential. But when he wins the ball from an opponent (which he does a lot being a good defender), the first few seconds are absolutely crucial because the opposition is disorganized and there is a chance to create an easy goal scoring opportunity. So, a good pass between the lines or an early release in such situations would be the trademark of a good counter-attacking team which we try to be.

I like Smalling because he is our best defender but there's no question that he is a hindrance to the way we want to play. I know Jose's words don't mean much here nowadays, but he said after the Europa League final that he resorted to long balls to beat the press because Smalling can't pass it out from the back. For that matter, none of our defenders can do it consistently. That's the reason we got Lindelof and are now after Alderweireld.
In addition to that, there isn't always acres of space around him. When he is being pressed he doesn't have the luxury to swap feet. A professional footballer should be able to make that pass with either foot without a second's thought.

There is also his lack of awareness which is hugely overshadowed by his aerial prowess and on the ball weakness. It's a real problem for whoever plays next to him.

Ekeke

How does one not see what is wrong with this. It's another clear example of his shocking technique.
How many times did he give the ball away here? How many chances did it lead to? How many own goals?

Rojo would have passed it to an opposition player and most of you would have turned a blind eye

El Jefe

How many times did he give the ball away here? How many chances did it lead to? How many own goals?

Rojo would have passed it to an opposition player and most of you would have turned a blind eye
That is not a natural movement for a professional football player. If he did change his mind, the easiest thing to do is just use his left foot or outside of the right foot to pass it. He was unmarked and passing the ball to a man in space there was absolutely no need for a total shift in his body position for that pass.

I'm not surprised your defending him though. I see you in many threads about centre backs arguing against the general consensus. Smalling is terrible on the ball there is no argument otherwise.

Btw I think Rojo is shite so that can't be directed at me.

Ekeke

That is not a natural movement for a professional football player. If he did change his mind, the easiest thing to do is just use his left foot or outside of the right foot to pass it. He was unmarked and passing the ball to a man in space there was absolutely no need for a total shift in his body position for that pass.

I'm not surprised your defending him though. I see you in many threads about centre backs arguing against the general consensus. Smalling is terrible on the ball there is no argument otherwise.

Btw I think Rojo is shite so that can't be directed at me.
You might think hes shite but would you make posts like you have here about Smalling?

Smalling isnt good on the ball but hes nowhere near as bad as you and others make out. Nothing was lost in that clip. It wasnt a swift counterattack, it was just Smalling not passing to Fellaini and giving it to Mata instead.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Gone under the radar but it seems he's been demoted. Hardly started any of the preseason games. On the bench vs Bayern and again today.
Seems Jose has chosen to sink or swim with Eric and Victor. Hope these lad turn up.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Can't understand this, he is unspectacular, but probably our best pure defender.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He hasn’t started the last 3 seasons since LVG, usually due to injury.
He’ll get his place back, and I’m happy for him and Lindelof to share more minutes this season so Lindelof can adjust.

Revan

Assumptionman
Teams parking the bus at home. We need CBs good on the ball
Nah, they didn't park the bus.

Glad that Bailly and Lindelof started though. They should get a long run together and see how things go. Smalling has still a big role to play, no doubt about it, and wouldn't be surprised if he gets soon in the starting XI, especially if Lindelof form drops. At very worst case, he should be our third CB.

Bobski

He will be back in when we come up against a team with more of crossing and aerial game. Leicester are a ball to feet side now.

Loublaze

ATLien
He will be back in when we come up against a team with more of crossing and aerial game. Leicester are a ball to feet side now.
Whenever they played crosses in it was Pogba nullifying the threat and Fellaini late on

Can't understand this, he is unspectacular, but probably our best pure defender.
Depends what you mean by pure. One v one he is strong but there are some areas he really lacks defensively and it makes him difficult to play with. It's no surprise in every season we concede more goals with him in the team.

There was a good example in the second half when Shaw underhit a backpass slightly to De Gea and the Leicester player went for it. Lindelof made sure he ran across in front of the player to slow him down so De Gea could get there safely. If the Leicester player got there it would rightly be Shaw's mistake, but Lindelof read it and bailed him out. Smalling would never have seen that.

Loublaze

ATLien
You do realise our academy thrives to be the best in the country don't you? And realise some of the players it's produced in the past and present. There's players in the team now that are academy graduates doing a much better job than Smalling.
Granted there might not be any academy graduates that are currently performing as well as Smalling so should that be the target then? I expect us to produce better centre halves than Smalling. I'm suprised that's such a shock to you both. I'd agree that his defending is at a good level, but his footballing brain and ability to play out from the back is crap. Tuanzabe looks composed on the ball and comfortable in possession, it's not an unreal expectation for him to do better than Smalling.
I know im really late to the show but you must've had a hard time making up your mind!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Gone under the radar but it seems he's been demoted. Hardly started any of the preseason games. On the bench vs Bayern and again today.
Seems Jose has chosen to sink or swim with Eric and Victor. Hope these lad turn up.
Yeah, this happens every start of the season. He'll be first choice in three weeks again until end of the season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah, this happens every start of the season. He'll be first choice in three weeks again until end of the season.
Its because he's the only one of the bunch who's able to stay fit for any period of time!

I don't think Mourinho thinks he's that good and the search for a centre back would suggest I'm right. However, Bailly gets injured a fair bit. Rojo has surely spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch for us. Then there's Phil Jones who seems to injure himself every time he takes to the field.

Smalling became default first choice mainly by being able to keep free from injuries. Had we brought in someone like Alderweireld I'm such Mourinho would've been happy to sell him.

ROFLUTION

I think either Bailly or Lindelof could use some stability and experience next to them (Smalling)

I guess Jose wanted to have players who could play the ball out or something. Smalling was a pretty good defender from December to May.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Its because he's the only one of the bunch who's able to stay fit for any period of time!

I don't think Mourinho thinks he's that good and the search for a centre back would suggest I'm right. However, Bailly gets injured a fair bit. Rojo has surely spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch for us. Then there's Phil Jones who seems to injure himself every time he takes to the field.

Smalling became default first choice mainly by being able to keep free from injuries. Had we brought in someone like Alderweireld I'm such Mourinho would've been happy to sell him.
Mourinho has brought 2 centre backs and neither of them were improvement on Smalling. Until I see it I don't care if potentially Alderweireld can be that either.

And let's not pretend he plays only when others are injured, because he was quite clearly first choice last year, and deservedly so.

Ekeke

Why would it suggest you're right when there are 2 CB spots? We were in the market for a partner. Lindelof and Bailly are getting a chance to have a good start to the season because in a few months we wont be changing our CBs a lot. If they play extremely well and dont make more mistakes they might keep their places forcing Smalling to play at his best when he gets a chance. Best case scenario is that they're all in form.

What might happen though is that they continue to make mistakes and Smalling has to come back in and cement his place like every season.

stevoc

Who Rojo?

It happens until someone gets injured. He plays because he can be relied on to be available.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Who Rojo?
I was talking about Smalling but I don't think Jose would mind selling any of the centre-backs he inherited.

I don't think Mou rates any of them that much except Bailly and last season he seemed to grump about how often Bailly got injured.

I think he sees Lindelof as a player that's still developing and is for the long term. I think he feels Jones is too reckless and too injury prone, Rojo the same and Smalling just someone who can be relied on to be fit most of the time.

Maybe because of his machismo Mou puts a lot of emphasis on playing through pain, Terry has talked about this in the past. I think Mou relies on Smalling because he knows Smalling will make himself available more often than not. I don't for one second think Mou sees Smalling as another Ricardo Carvalho or Lucio. IMO he'd upgrade him if given even half a chance. Just my opinion though.

Revan

Assumptionman
I was talking about Smalling but I don't think Jose would mind selling any of the centre-backs he inherited.

I don't think Mou rates any of them that much except Bailly and last season he seemed to grump about how often Bailly got injured.

I think he sees Lindelof as a player that's still developing and is for the long term. I think he feels Jones is too reckless and too injury prone, Rojo the same and Smalling just someone who can be relied on to be fit most of the time.

Maybe because of his machismo Mou puts a lot of emphasis on playing through pain, Terry has talked about this in the past. I think Mou relies on Smalling because he knows Smalling will make himself available more often than not. I don't for one second think Mou sees Smalling as another Ricardo Carvalho or Lucio. IMO he'd upgrade him if given even half a chance. Just my opinion though.
True, but he's been our best CB last season. I think that Bailly is slightly better providing that he stays fit, and Lindelof can be better though. At the moment though, Smalling might be considered as our most reliable CB when you add the quality and availability.

Andersons Dietician

Jose has taken quite a few sly digs at Smalling in his time here about him not making himself available, the broken toe incident for one thing, then a few weeks ago that whole Bailly speech about making himself available seemed like a message to Smalling. Smalling played simply because last season he was by far the best CB we had even when the lot of them were fit. You even say you don’t think Jose likes Jones because he is reckless and injury prone, that sounds an awful lot like Bailly as well. Lindelof surely doesn’t count as a development, he was a great defender for Benfica and Sweden, wasn’t my first choice but he was decent enough, we really haven’t seen the best of him yet.

Loublaze

ATLien
Smalling only missed one preseason game because of a knock in the warm-up against Liverpool. It also so happens that the game he missed is the only one United got hammered in (4-1 to Liverpool). The knock prevented him from starting against Bayern and from being ready for the start of the season.

Ashley R1+O

There was a good example in the second half when Shaw underhit a backpass slightly to De Gea and the Leicester player went for it. Lindelof made sure he ran across in front of the player to slow him down so De Gea could get there safely. If the Leicester player got there it would rightly be Shaw's mistake, but Lindelof read it and bailed him out. Smalling would never have seen that.
:rolleyes: so I guess we can add this latest one to the list as well, can we? Lindelof ran in front of a guy once, Smalling wouldn't think of doing that because he's obviously a crap defender therefore can't defend. Just like he literally has no feet, therefore can't defend and if they brought in VAR because he grabs people therefore he can't defend.

These are becoming absolutely farcical now. Bailly and Lindelof will continue on until Smalling regains his spot in the starting lineup. It is how a pecking order is supposed to work, keeping guys hungry.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Depends what you mean by pure. One v one he is strong but there are some areas he really lacks defensively and it makes him difficult to play with. It's no surprise in every season we concede more goals with him in the team.

You claim something like this and then go ahead and learn how good Smalling actually is. It's when you pay attention to these types of details that you actually notice a defender of Smalling's kind. He does this sort of thing all the time, cleaning up other peoples mess. If you haven't noticed this then you want to be ready to watch Chris next time like you watched Lindelof this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.