5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i've watched him saying it on ESPN or MUTV. However, lets just pretend its 'fake'. Mou is happy with us getting a kid, some washed up goalkeeper from Stoke and a player from the Ukrainian league just as SAF was thrilled replacing the likes of Rio, Vidic, Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes with the likes of Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Young and Cleverley, Moyes was thrilled when instead of Fabregas they brought him Fellaini and LVG was over the moon having to rely on his former players instead of adding quality players. Not to forget the countless times when SAF asked for 4 players only to suddenly change his mind and say he's happy with the squad.

Anyway its all their fault that we go for players that should be at Everton or the MLS instead with the so called biggest club in the world (sponsors wise not talent on the pitch)
Very strange post. Utd have spent £500m or around that make since Fergie left.

Let’s ignore Moyes as we all know he was a complete tool.

LVG - I don’t remember Di Maria, Shaw, Darmian, Herrera, Falcao or Martial playing for him previously?

Jose has bought 1 x FB, 2 x CB’s, 3 x CM, 2 x Strikers & Sanchez.

All managers want more and better players - hold the front page! We have backed LVG and Jose significantly in the transfer market.

When did the expectation of signing 4-5 players every summer become a thing. This is not normal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Very strange post. Utd have spent £500m or around that make since Fergie left.

Let’s ignore Moyes as we all know he was a complete tool.

LVG - I don’t remember Di Maria, Shaw, Darmian, Herrera, Falcao or Martial playing for him previously?

Jose has bought 1 x FB, 2 x CB’s, 3 x CM, 2 x Strikers & Sanchez.

All managers want more and better players - hold the front page! We have backed LVG and Jose significantly in the transfer market.

When did the expectation of signing 4-5 players every summer become a thing. This is not normal.
I don't think that the fee is really a problem for United. The issue is salary.

Which might explain why

a- SAF had to replace his stars with the likes of Young, Smalling, Jones, Valencia and co
b- why Moyes wanted Fabregas and ended up with Fellaini
c- why LVG ended up bringing so many Dutch players, former players or players who were off the radar of the top clubs
d- why we're digging deep in Mourinho's list
e- why all our manager seem to grow miserable with us.

4-5 players every season is not a thing but there again so having a defence with little talent which include two 33 year old makeshift wingers who were moved in defence because they are too shit to play in their original role. We speak as if we're a big club but have very little talent to show for. In fact I can only think of 2 maybe 3 WC players in this squad (DDG, Pogba and Lukaku). But hey lets say that bringing some Brazilian international reserve from the Ukrainian league, a kid from Portugal with less then 30 games under his belt and some washed up goalkeeper is not underwhelming for the so called biggest club of the world

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

baskinginthesun

He didn't get any injuries last season afaik. He only has one injury hit season in 16/17.
According to the link, he had tendinitis in his knee which has cleared up (maybe a mild case because I am pretty sure tendinitis can have you out for quite awhile). Not sure how long ago that was but, whatever helps.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
According to the link, he had tendinitis in his knee which has cleared up (maybe a mild case because I am pretty sure tendinitis can have you out for quite awhile). Not sure how long ago that was but, whatever helps.
The only Knee Injury listed on Transfermarket is the injury he got in 16/17 which he was out for 9 games. He's not had an injury since then (Mar 23, 2017 - May 1, 2017). But good to see a player doing everything he can to try and help his career, I remember Giggs got some stick when he took up Yoga.

baskinginthesun

The only Knee Injury listed on Transfermarket is the injury he got in 16/17 which he was out for 9 games. He's not had an injury since then (Mar 23, 2017 - May 1, 2017). But good to see a player doing everything he can to try and help his career, I remember Giggs got some stick when he took up Yoga.
If it gives him another 2 season or so, then good for him.

Also, didn't realise it's been that long since he was injured. Hopefully, that's promising for him going forward.

Andersons Dietician

I’ve had it in both Achilles going on now for 2-3 years. Can’t run for any sustained length of time, can’t jump, even extensive walking hurts. So yeah tendentious can be a serious injury.

Didn’t Smalling have a broken toe at some point last year? Used to be a Phil Jones did he not at first and ever since LVG came in to power he has been quite good in avoiding injuries. Hopefully now we are talking about this nothing happens to him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Didn't he just now get an injury, before a preseason game? Anyone heard if he is going to be able to start against Leicester?

Andy_Cole

I’ve had it in both Achilles going on now for 2-3 years. Can’t run for any sustained length of time, can’t jump, even extensive walking hurts. So yeah tendentious can be a serious injury.

Didn’t Smalling have a broken toe at some point last year? Used to be a Phil Jones did he not at first and ever since LVG came in to power he has been quite good in avoiding injuries. Hopefully now we are talking about this nothing happens to him.
Hi mate. I’ve just cured mine in my Achilles. Had it for over a year. It was my footware. Really important to only wear shoes with good heal support. I literally just wear my doc martens for work and Air Force ones casual. Can’t remember my gym shoes, a Rebock pair. Thrown away my Nike Flynits, adidas Gazelles, plimsoles.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He didn't get any injuries last season afaik. He only has one injury hit season in 16/17.
He did get injured away against Leicester (hamstring IIRC) but stayed on the pitch and marked Maguire, who scored the equaliser, because Smalling couldn't jump. I think he missed a couple of games after that then came back in to the team.

If he suffers from tendinitis, then there's a number of NFL players whose tendinitis conditions have improved enormously due to a vegan diet. His own words in the link suggest that it's helping him too, which is great.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If it gives him another 2 season or so, then good for him.

Also, didn't realise it's been that long since he was injured. Hopefully, that's promising for him going forward.
He's not injury prone though is my point. Granted Transfermarket isn't the most precise source material but it's pretty damn good.

To give you some rough examples (not totally accurate as I should count all possible games but i've been lazy to give you a rough idea instead). Here's a list of our current squad i've only included players that have been here 4+ seasons:

Player.....................Seasons at Club...........Games Missed Via Injury..........Games Injured Per Season
Luke Shaw..........................4.........................................94............................................23.5
Phil Jones...........................7........................................126............................................18.0
Marcos Rojo........................4.........................................71............................................17.8
Marouane Fellaini.................5.........................................58............................................11.6
Ashley Young.......................7.........................................69.............................................9.9
Antonio Valencia..................9.........................................85.............................................9.4
Chris Smalling.....................8.........................................50.............................................6.3
Ander Herrera.....................4.........................................17.............................................4.3
Juan Mata.........................4.5.........................................8..............................................1.8
David de Gea......................7..........................................5..............................................0.7

baskinginthesun

He's not injury prone though is my point. Granted Transfermarket isn't the most precise source material but it's pretty damn good.

To give you some rough examples (not totally accurate as I should count all possible games but i've been lazy to give you a rough idea instead). Here's a list of our current squad i've only included players that have been here 4+ seasons:

Player.....................Seasons at Club...........Games Missed Via Injury..........Games Injured Per Season
Luke Shaw..........................4.........................................94............................................23.5
Phil Jones...........................7........................................126............................................18.0
Marcos Rojo........................4.........................................71............................................17.8
Marouane Fellaini.................5.........................................58............................................11.6
Ashley Young.......................7.........................................69.............................................9.9
Antonio Valencia..................9.........................................85.............................................9.4
Chris Smalling.....................8.........................................50.............................................6.3
Ander Herrera.....................4.........................................17.............................................4.3
Juan Mata.........................4.5.........................................8..............................................1.8
David de Gea......................7..........................................5..............................................0.7
Nice work and point well put. That major injury (broken metatarsal) he had 6 years ago, probably skews that number higher than it really should be.

stevoc

Those 3 are ridiculous, Jones especially. Amazing that he's going into his 8th season at United. Fecking hell, just sell him for feck sake.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Those 3 are ridiculous, Jones especially. Amazing that he's going into his 8th season at United. Fecking hell, just sell him for feck sake.
When you consider that a typical United season consists of 50-55 games, it means that Jones for example has missed roughly 35% of every season due to injury. Incredible really, made even worse given he's never had a long term injury. Shaw and Rojo have both had long term injuries but their numbers are bad. I was surprised at Fellaini though!

stevoc

When you consider that a typical United season consists of 50-55 games, it means that Jones for example has missed roughly 35% of every season due to injury. Incredible really, made even worse given he's never had a long term injury. Shaw and Rojo have both had long term injuries but their numbers are bad. I was surprised at Fellaini though!
Yeah Rojo and Shaw had both had season enders which skews their stats a bit. Jones though as you say it's just one injury after another for going on a decade now. Yet 4 managers in a row just keep giving him contracts and never sell him. It baffles me, he's a good defender granted but thats all he is. We've sold a few better defenders than him over the years.

automaticflare

I am physically sick every time I watch this.

Let's not forget his key mistakes and own goals. He needs to leave.
I hope I am
Not alone but I see him do stuff like this 2 or 3 times a game

He is shocking on the ball kills counter attacks

POF

I hope I am
Not alone but I see him do stuff like this 2 or 3 times a game

He is shocking on the ball kills counter attacks
I am struggling to see what's wrong with what he did there. He has 3 midfield players 5 yards ahead of him. What is supposed to do? Play a long ball forward to the remaining 3 players up against 8 opponents? Or dribble forward ahead of his midfield?

He looked awkward doing it but laying the ball off to a midfield playmaker was the exact right thing to do in that situation.

Ekeke

I am struggling to see what's wrong with what he did there. He has 3 midfield players 5 yards ahead of him. What is supposed to do? Play a long ball forward to the remaining 3 players up against 8 opponents? Or dribble forward ahead of his midfield?

He looked awkward doing it but laying the ball off to a midfield playmaker was the exact right thing to do in that situation.
The thing he did wrong is being Chris Smalling. If Messi looks up and doesnt see anything on for a second or two and then plays a short pass it wont get mentioned.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

:lol:

He is avoiding passing to Fellaini, he should be praised for that.

POF

The thing he did wrong is being Chris Smalling. If Messi looks up and doesnt see anything on for a second or two and then plays a short pass it wont get mentioned.
I've never seen it mentioned about any player ever, to the extent that I don't really have any idea what the issue is with what he did.

AgentP

It's the few seconds he wasted in turning his body and using his right foot to make a 5 yard pass. It's an instant pass with his left foot but he doesn't have the confidence to do it. In this particular instant, these few seconds might be inconsequential. But when he wins the ball from an opponent (which he does a lot being a good defender), the first few seconds are absolutely crucial because the opposition is disorganized and there is a chance to create an easy goal scoring opportunity. So, a good pass between the lines or an early release in such situations would be the trademark of a good counter-attacking team which we try to be.

I like Smalling because he is our best defender but there's no question that he is a hindrance to the way we want to play. I know Jose's words don't mean much here nowadays, but he said after the Europa League final that he resorted to long balls to beat the press because Smalling can't pass it out from the back. For that matter, none of our defenders can do it consistently. That's the reason we got Lindelof and are now after Alderweireld.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's the few seconds he wasted in turning his body and using his right foot to make a 5 yard pass. It's an instant pass with his left foot but he doesn't have the confidence to do it. In this particular instant, these few seconds might be inconsequential. But when he wins the ball from an opponent (which he does a lot being a good defender), the first few seconds are absolutely crucial because the opposition is disorganized and there is a chance to create an easy goal scoring opportunity. So, a good pass between the lines or an early release in such situations would be the trademark of a good counter-attacking team which we try to be.

I like Smalling because he is our best defender but there's no question that he is a hindrance to the way we want to play. I know Jose's words don't mean much here nowadays, but he said after the Europa League final that he resorted to long balls to beat the press because Smalling can't pass it out from the back. For that matter, none of our defenders can do it consistently. That's the reason we got Lindelof and are now after Alderweireld.
Have you seen any of our forwards play football?

POF

Absolutely agree. In this instance it was completely inconsequential and made no impact on the play whatsoever.

Smalling isn't great on the ball but is a very mild hindrance to the way the team plays. He's a defender and first and foremost his job is to defend.

You mention that his lack of early accurate delivery might impact the team's ability to counter attack. Have you seen United's counter attacks? Getting into promising 2v2 or even 3v2 or 2v1 positions isn't a problem. It's the incredibly poor decision making by the attackers to waste those opportunities that is the biggest issue. That Leicester game last season was one of the worst displays of decision making I have ever seen from a United attack and although it was the worst one it was far from the only occasion.

Would it be a fantastic bonus if Smalling was able to stride out of defence or play killer through balls? Of course. But he is a defender first and foremost and a very good one. United have plenty of problems to resolve in attack before they even think about getting a defender who can pass better than Smalling.

stevoc

Defender in passing ball to teammate shocker. :eek:

Can you list all his own goals?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Defender in passing ball to teammate shocker. :eek:

Can you list all his own goals?
I think its the fact he turns his body to make a 5 yard pass when he can just use his left foot. Over reaction though, but the video caption is spot on, makes me cringe when a I see professional footballers do things like that.

You don't have to be a serious baller, to be a good defender though

stevoc

I think its the fact he turns his body to make a 5 yard pass when he can just use his left foot. Over reaction though, but the video caption is spot on, makes me cringe when a I see professional footballers do things like that.

You don't have to be a serious baller, to be a good defender though
I'm well aware mate but i find it a bit silly.

Ekeke

I'm well aware mate but i find it a bit silly.
Its more than silly.

A defender could use their wrong foot there, misplace the pass and give it to the opposition and get less attention than Chris Smalling successfully completing the pass

stevoc

Its more than silly.

A defender could use their wrong foot there, misplace the pass and give it to the opposition and get less attention than Chris Smalling successfully completing the pass
It's awkward as feck but hitting it with your left or taking half a second to put it on to your right. Honestly i don't see what the difference or the problem is.

We know he's not great on the ball, his strengths lie elsewhere. Shit like that is hardly some huge detriment to our attacking play. If i had a choice between a silky ball playing CB who was ok at defending and a good defender who was crap on the ball i would take the latter everytime.

Ekeke

It's awkward as feck but hitting it with your left or taking half a second to put it on to your right. Honestly i don't see what the difference or the problem is.

We know he's not great on the ball, his strengths lie elsewhere. Shit like that is hardly some huge detriment to our attacking play. If i had a choice between a silky ball playing CB who was ok at defending and a good defender who was crap on the ball i would take the latter everytime.
There is very little difference, just people trying to find another stick to beat our best CB with. I've seen players like Messi move their body to use their favoured foot. Sure if its something Smalling did on a hot counter attack then I could understand it, but absolutely nothing is happening. Fellaini isnt going to do anything more with a pass 2 yards forward than Smalling is and Mata shows he wants the ball so Smalling gave it to him. I bet if this was a clip of Toby the reaction would be the polar opposite, calling it top class play making sure he picks out Mata instead of Fellaini

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

You might have mental problem if seeing a centerback passing a ball 5 yards away make you physically sick. Seriously, mate.

jmaggio

Might get blasted for this, but I think he gets a lot of unfair stick from our fans. The statistics prove he is our most consistent defender and this is evidenced by the fact he starts when fit. I’d like to see how he fares alongside a more confident and experienced figure a la Alderweireld.

Loublaze

ATLien
You don't need both your center halves to be good on the ball, but I think its a must to have one who is a natural at reading the play, making interceptions higher up the field, and picking out passes that can launch counter attacks. Of the current crop, only Lindelof has that capability, but he has plenty of questions over other aspects of his play. If you could've merged Smalling's defensive durability with Blind's ball playing skills, you would have had a world class defender. As it is, Smalling is so bad on the ball, he has a deleterious effect on our style of play; and Blind was so physically weak and slow, as to be a defensive calamity waiting to happen.

We've honestly laughed at City spending a fortune on Stones and Laporte. But both would walk into this team and instantly be the best center half on the books.
Yes, Laporte and Stones would walk into this team because their ball playing abilities are all that matter. Makes sense.

Loublaze

ATLien
They are both good defenders. I don’t see your point.
Stones is not an all rounder. His passing is his best attribute and its vastly overrated. I know City fans who want more from him. Underwhelming overall. Otamendi is not that great either but City's system works for them.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Stones is not an all rounder. His passing is his best attribute and its vastly overrated. I know City fans who want more from him. Underwhelming overall. Otamendi is not that great either but City's system works for them.
Agreed that he’s no Ferdinand, but he is still better, IMO, than any center half we have on our books. And thusly, would walk into our team. Jose tried to sign him for Chelsea.

Loublaze

ATLien
Agreed that he’s no Ferdinand, but he is still better, IMO, than any center half we have on our books. And thusly, would walk into our team. Jose tried to sign him for Chelsea.
He's not better than Smalling. Stones can't handle strong physical forwards. He made quite a few unforced errors under pressure last season. So many quick and tidy forwards had the drop on him in different situations. He's also not physically imposing in the air.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Professional football player who can't play with his feet. I admit; he is good in air and strong in tackles. He would be great for tony pulis squad.

SteveW

They'll be saying he can't kick the ball next. It's all pretty stupid.

People should be thankful that one of our central defenders has actually been fit and dependable for a few seasons. He's the only one who has.

Status
Not open for further replies.