Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Yeah, if ever there was an example of why not to take that site seriously :lol:

Almost looks like they got the ratings the wrong way round.
It rewards reactive defenders. If you tackle you get rewarded. If you marked your man and didn't need to tackle, you don't get rewarded. If you let in a goal because you are out of position, it does not cost you. If you are pressed and make a pass to DDG who has 1 second to hit the into random space it gives you extra pass accuracy. Etc. Pretty useless stats.

Personally I thought Lindelof, Pogba and maybe also Darmian were the best players, Smalling was ok from a defensive pov but struggled a lot with the ball, and Lingard was imo useless.

Ekeke

I love when posters who dont understand what makes a defender a good defender, come on here and complain that he doesn't have good intelligence or positioning.

Its just further proof that he's a good defender and what he does, the layman doesn't understand because they havent been coached as a CB at a big club for over half a decade.

laughtersassassin

Embarrassing. The lengths people will go to to slate on of our own players
really think it just highlights how bad he is. No one wants to slate our players. But some should not have got to continue being players for this team. Smalling while better than most of our defenders is one of them. Should have been made a bench option long ago. His passing kills us.

Loublaze

ATLien
They don't come close to Smalling

No idea why he's so highly rated by some
Yes, that's why they have a worse disciplinary record and can't hold down a place in the team even when fit. Maybe you should ask the last four managers at the club why they rate Smalling more.

I love when posters who dont understand what makes a defender a good defender, come on here and complain that he doesn't have good intelligence or positioning.

Its just further proof that he's a good defender and what he does, the layman doesn't understand because they havent been coached as a CB at a big club for over half a decade.
254 posts later & still banging his head against a brick wall.

If everyone around you is always disagreeing with you, you yourself are most probably the layman that doesn’t understand.

Edit: now he’s up to 255, how many more times will he post that Rooney quote this week I wonder?

Ekeke

254 posts later & still banging his head against a brick wall.

If everyone around you is always disagreeing with you, you yourself are most probably the layman that doesn’t understand.

Edit: now he’s up to 255, how many more times will he post that Rooney quote this week I wonder?
You should spend less time posting on forums and more time studying what a defenders job is.

Ekeke

It's only a 4 year old quote.
Rooney hasnt played for us for several years. And are you suggesting he was great 4 years ago but now worse than Rojo and Jones?

Where are the players suggesting Lindelof, Rojo, Jones and Bailly are some of the top CBs in the world?

SteveW

really think it just highlights how bad he is. No one wants to slate our players. But some should not have got to continue being players for this team. Smalling while better than most of our defenders is one of them. Should have been made a bench option long ago. His passing kills us.
Chris is a good defender.

When we sign two better CBs I'll be happy for him to sit on the bench. Feck knows when that will happen though

Ekeke

Chris is a good defender.

When we sign two better CBs I'll be happy for him to sit on the bench. Feck knows when that will happen though
Funnily enough thats my stance too. I'd be happy for him to be a backup if we have 2 CBs who are as good defending as him, or at least 1 and the other close.

But we have 0 and there are only a handful of those players in the premier league. So until that happens Smalling is very important.

UncleBob

Rooney hasnt played for us for several years. And are you suggesting he was great 4 years ago but now worse than Rojo and Jones?

Where are the players suggesting Lindelof, Rojo, Jones and Bailly are some of the top CBs in the world?
So nothing has changed since then ?

Ekeke

So nothing has changed since then ?
He's speaking as the captain of the club, calling out whats important to the team. He singles out Smalling as being one of the best around at CB.

He's probably not going to be speaking about him when he's not the captain of his club. He's concentrating on things going on around him, not Manchester United.

UncleBob

He's speaking as the captain of the club, calling out whats important to the team. He singles out Smalling as being one of the best around at CB.

He's probably not going to be speaking about him when he's not the captain of his club. He's concentrating on things going on around him, not Manchester United.
So was that a yes or a no ? What's the time limit here ?

Ekeke

So was that a yes or a no ? What's the time limit here ?
I have no idea what you mean.

Rooney as captain of United 4 years ago is far more likely to talk about a player he thinks is important to Manchester United, than 4 years later when Rooney is playing for D.C United in America. I dunno if hes captain there but the point is, hes far more likely to be talking about his current team and trying to show he's still got it than randomly talking about Manchester United CBs. That has nothing to do with him now.

UncleBob

I have no idea what you mean.

Rooney as captain of United 4 years ago is far more likely to talk about a player he thinks is important to Manchester United, than 4 years later when Rooney is playing for D.C United in America. I dunno if hes captain there but the point is, hes far more likely to be talking about his current team and trying to show he's still got it than randomly talking about Manchester United CBs. That has nothing to do with him now.
Can we go back 8 years in time and find a player that was praised at the club and claim he's still as good today ? Or is 4 years the magic limit

Ekeke

Can we go back 8 years in time and find a player that was praised at the club and claim he's still as good today ? Or is 4 years the magic limit
So you are suggesting that 4 years ago Smalling was great, but now hes worse than Jones and Rojo. Gotcha.

I disagree. I dont think he's as good as he was that season but I think last year was his 2nd best season. Still far in front of Jones and Rojo

UncleBob

Just the same as anybody talking about what a player can be, or their potential. Its easy to get it wrong.

Rooney was talking about what a player was actually doing at the time. Very different.
" I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had"

Since then, Fergie has retired

So we can only assume that Jones is still one of the best players we have ever had.

Smalling-logic

Ekeke

" I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had"

Since then, Fergie has retired

So we can only assume that Jones is still one of the best players we have ever had.

Smalling-logic
But Ferguson said: "Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player. I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had, not matter where we play him. At 21 years of age, he is going to be a phenomenal player. I think he can play anywhere on the pitch.

He's clearly talking about potential and what he can see him being.

Pretty slimy to be trying to misinterpret Sir Alex.

steakpie

Has anyone else noticed that Smalling usually passes behind the player he's passing to?
It is basic to play the ball slightly ahead of the receiver so they can move forward.

Ekeke

Has anyone else noticed that Smalling usually passes behind the player he's passing to?
It is basic to play the ball slightly ahead of the receiver so they can move forward.
He sometimes does, in some other matches he does better playing passes into a bit of space in front

The standard of footballing in Major League Soccer is improving, but it is still nowhere near the levels of elite football in Europe. But Rooney still sees Acosta, his strike partner in DC, as one of his best ever teammates.

"He needs to keep motivated," Rooney told the Washington Post after Acosta's move to Paris Saint-Germain fell through at the last minute.

“He’s a professional player, I’m sure he will. He now knows what kind of teams are interested in him. If he continues performing up to his ability, he will get there," he added.

“He’s young and he’s talented — one of the best I’ve played with."

Safe to say @Ekeke, Wayne gets a little giddy when talking about his teammates.

UncleBob

But Ferguson said: "Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player. I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had, not matter where we play him. At 21 years of age, he is going to be a phenomenal player. I think he can play anywhere on the pitch.

He's clearly talking about potential and what he can see him being.

Pretty slimy to be trying to misinterpret Sir Alex.
He's talking about both now and the future.

Pretty grim trying to use a 4 year old quote from Wayne Rooney, given to manutd.com, as an attempt to big up Smalling in 2019.

UncleBob

The standard of footballing in Major League Soccer is improving, but it is still nowhere near the levels of elite football in Europe. But Rooney still sees Acosta, his strike partner in DC, as one of his best ever teammates.

"He needs to keep motivated," Rooney told the Washington Post after Acosta's move to Paris Saint-Germain fell through at the last minute.

“He’s a professional player, I’m sure he will. He now knows what kind of teams are interested in him. If he continues performing up to his ability, he will get there," he added.

“He’s young and he’s talented — one of the best I’ve played with."

Safe to say @Ekeke, Wayne gets a little giddy when talking about his teammates.
:lol:

Based Adnan

Players hyping up their own teammates has happened for forever and to take the quotes seriously is naive.

Speaking to Match of the Day magazine, Gerrard said: "Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better.

"He used to shock us in training by doing footy tricks with a golf ball that most players can't even do with a football.

"I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season."

Ekeke

He's talking about both now and the future.

Pretty grim trying to use a 10 year old quote from Wayne Romney, given to mancity.com, as an attempt to big up Smelling in 2027.
A quote that Rooney actually said about someone's current football ability. Not speculation about the future.

I hope people misquote you and make out you said things you didnt. Maybe then you wont do it so freely to others.

Ekeke

Players hyping up their own teammates has happened for forever and to take the quotes seriously is naive.
So Gerrard made a stupid quote. Therefore Gerrard might make other stupid quotes.

But just because Steven Gerrard did something doesnt mean you do something. You might both be human, but you're actually completely different people.

Wayne Rooney is also a different person. So if Rooney makes outlandish quotes about teammates being a lot better than they are, I'm sure it'll be easy to find him talking about how players like Jones are world beaters.

UncleBob

So Gerrard made a stupid quote. Therefore Gerrard might make other stupid quotes.

But just because Steven Gerrard did something doesnt mean you do something. You might both be human, but you're actually completely different people.

Wayne Rooney is also a different person. So if Rooney makes outlandish quotes about teammates being a lot better than they are, I'm sure it'll be easy to find him talking about how players like Jones are world beaters.
:lol:

Based Adnan

So you think Acosta is one of the best players Rooney has ever played alongside then yeah? After all he said it so it must be true! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.