Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Made his debut today, playing against Atalanta.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I feel him and Maguire would have been our best pairing.
It's good that Ole is giving Lindelof and to some extent Tuanzebe a real opportunity, as if either of them really kicks on their superior ball-playing ability will result in the team as a whole being stronger. But there's a definite risk that neither of them end up working out (although Tuanzebe might get there in a couple of seasons), in which case we're going to regret not having Smalling able to slot in next to Maguire and give us some stability. And that chance of that is unacceptably high IMO.

Hammondo

Honestly we don't have a defender with his defencive talent. We clearly miss him.

redpatron

all these smalling fan boys defending this 7th choice cb, thank god we got rid of this garbage. can't even defend a bum striker in serie a, but go ahead and keep pushing your agenda. That's why they call him BIG Shit Smalling.

AshRK

I never understood the obsession with him. A decent defender who has outstayed here at United. People act as if he was a peak Vidic or Ferdinand. If he was that good he would have been our club captain. I am glad he decided to move on.

matsdf

Anybody actually seen the highlights from the game? Roma lost 0-2 at home to Atalanta. Not to say that Smalling was to blame for the defeat, but looks like he did nothing to prove it wasn't the right idea to let him go.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He'll be very highly rated in Europe come the end of his spell there, unless he gets injured.

mu4c_20le

Neither goals were really his fault, the first one he was left alone to mark two players, the second was a keeper feck up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Neither goals were really his fault, the first one he was left alone to mark two players, the second was a keeper feck up.
He has to mark two players at once there too? Who is his partner?

A-man

Only saw parts of the game. I think he looked a bit rusty and would say first goal was his fault, as he lost his man.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
He was one of our better players tonight, too early to say if he'll succeed or not...if he doesn't stand out as our best defender by the end of his loan, you should sell him as our defence in general isn't all that

freeurmind

weak willed
Started in the middle of a back 3 between Kolarov and Fazio (wtf?). Genrally did well, dealt with most issues but should have scored an early chance from a corner but missed the header and then in the scond half struggled a bit to deal with Zapata.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So Smalling starts and Roma coincidentally lose their first game of the season...and people still finding excuses for him. If he's still starting come January I'll eat my hat. Glad he won't be coming back to United.

M16Red

So Smalling starts and Roma coincidentally lose their first game of the season...and people still finding excuses for him. If he's still starting come January I'll eat my hat. Glad he won't be coming back to United.
Did you watch the game? Hhhmm

yardieUnited

Watched the game and he did well but his positioning at times was terrible.

Look at the first goal, he is behind his other mates instead of being in line with them.
Smalling keeps on making opposition players onside

Ban

:lol:

jackal&hyde

Watched the game and he did well but his positioning at times was terrible.

Look at the first goal, he is behind his other mates instead of being in line with them.
Smalling keeps on making opposition players onside
:confused:

Didn't watch the game but i'm interested to see how he'll do during the season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Did you watch the game? Hhhmm
I didn't need to. The facts speak for themselves. And I can guarantee you that if Roma had won 3-0, the Smalling fanboys would have been in here quicker than you can say "he's crap" to go on about how great he is and how United were dumb to let him go. So I can understand their disappointment at not getting the chance yesterday.

You do love a laughing smiley don't you? :) At the end of the day he's over there and not here so :lol:.

Oldyella

Much better than Lindelof for sure. Nobody is telling me otherwise.
Lindelof looks awful imo, Tuanzebe should take his spot. Better on the ball(Lindlehofs supposed strong point) and better defensively.

He was one of our better players tonight, too early to say if he'll succeed or not...if he doesn't stand out as our best defender by the end of his loan, you should sell him as our defence in general isn't all that
Cheers for that, glad to hear from someone who watched the game and can give an objective opinion.

Unlike this guy.

Oldyella

I've seen enough of him over the years thank you very much. He's not suddenly going to be a worldbeater now that he's playing for Roma. Sorry to disappoint you.
Who said he was? That's what I dont get, even his defenders, which I guess I am one of, know he's never going to be a world beater. We just know hes better than what we have had over the last several years. And still probably is. I would rather Tuanzebe and Maguire play, but he would be first sub after those two.

Ban

I didn't need to. The facts speak for themselves. And I can guarantee you that if Roma had won 3-0, the Smalling fanboys would have been in here quicker than you can say "he's crap" to go on about how great he is and how United were dumb to let him go. So I can understand their disappointment at not getting the chance yesterday.

You do love a laughing smiley don't you? :) At the end of the day he's over there and not here so :lol:.
So you didn't watch the game?

Ekeke

for the record smalling was deeper than his 2 partners playing the attacking players onside for the first goal so id agree its reasonable to say thats his mistake

Kind of his fault he had to mark two players.

Anyway, I definitely recognise that general panic in Roma's back line. Glad its not us anymore.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
for the record smalling was deeper than his 2 partners playing the attacking players onside for the first goal so id agree its reasonable to say thats his mistake
Definitely. He should have read the situation and reacted quicker, that pass was obvious.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Got to give him time to settle into the team, city, culture, language etc. I'd like to see him given a run of games first before judging him to be a failure or success. He certainly has the tools to do well in Serie A.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Going to be an interesting time for Smalling at Roma. The type of mistakes he made at United (which were brushed under the carpet and seemingly forgotten about from game to game) will be pinpointed at Roma. Can't see the manager and coaching staff taking it easy on him over there. Let's see how he handles it.

Oldyella

Got to give him time to settle into the team, city, culture, language etc. I'd like to see him given a run of games first before judging him to be a failure or success. He certainly has the tools to do well in Serie A.
Yeah. I hope he does well over there. Would of been much easier for him to hang around collecting a wage with us with occasional game time, or sitting in the stands singing about Ole getting sacked. Always good to see British players taking a stab at playing abroad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.