Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
He's been brilliant since we got him, hopefully we'll get him on a permanent basis

Champagne Football

It's far too early to say Tuanzebe is clearly better than Smalling. Obviously we all hope that it works out that way, but so far there is very little to make that judgement on.

From what I've seen of Tuanzebe so far, he possesses true leadership skills that Smalling never had. Smalling is a solid defender, Everton level I would say, but I'm certain Tuanzebe will prove to have a higher ceiling once he gets a run of games.

Ekeke

He's been brilliant since we got him, hopefully we'll get him on a permanent basis
Have you attacked noticeably worse since he came into the team? Has him choosing the safe option for a pass caused you any problems that you didnt have with Manolas last year or the other CBs playing instead of him?

Based Adnan

Have you attacked noticeably worse since he came into the team? Has him choosing the safe option for a pass caused you any problems that you didnt have with Manolas last year or the other CBs playing instead of him?
Considering Manolas is just as bad on the ball as Smalling I doubt they'd notice anything different in this regard

Red_toad

Smalling has suddenly gone from being Phil Jones to Maldini on here.

He's a decent defender but he's miles off being an elite defender. He was probably England's 7th or 8th choice central defender while he was here.

Smalling is a clear step lower than Maguire and Tuanzebe in quality, and about the same level as Lindelof. Smalling was sacraficed instead of Lindelof due to age.
Being better than Rojo, Lindelof and Jones doesn’t make someone better than Maldini, don’t talk arse. That’s whom he’s being compared to, no one is saying he’s our best defender ever or even currently.

A-man

They werent. But we finished 6th too. So we're both 6th placed teams, with far more investment coming in at United than at Roma. We're buying a CB for £80 million, they're finding their best CB by taking him on loan for a season. In fact I think we can argue Roma's use of the loan market to suppliment their outright purchases is one of the better uses out there this season. They got Smalling at CB and Veretout who is a good CM and was Fiorentina's best CM last season. They took Miki on loan from Arsenal too, even if that one doesnt end up working I'm sure the other 2 will. Granted they are in holding position from last season so far so I can see them pushing on above Cagliari and perhaps fighting out with Atalanta and Napoli for 3rd or 4th.

And we've dropped to 14th while they're still currently 6th. Its obviously more complicated than that but the idea that you can't play better football than we are now with Smalling in the team is clearly ridiculous. They're currently a better team than we are. And we were a better team in the past 2 seasons where Smalling was a regular at CB. We could obviously have done well with him continuing to be a regular, we wouldnt be playing worse than we currently are because we're awful. Worse than when he played.
I know what you mean and I personally think that it was a bit naive and strange to spend so much money on two defenders, when the midfield and attack were not just poor, but also two forwards left.
But it is too early to say if Smalling has had an major impact at Roma. Fans and other who have watched the matches say he has had a big contribution. I got a feeling last season that Smalling often played well when you looked at him isolated, but the team suffered. This was only a feeling I had. So far he has apparently looked good at Roma, but results have been worse after he joined. As I wrote before they got less points and goal scoring has dropped. I am not claiming this has to do with Smalling, could be coincidence, but as I had the feeling last season that the team suffered, I see a possible connection anyway. But again, I am being highly speculative now.

Goal scoring in Roma this season (Serie A):
Before Smalling 10 goals in 4 matches
With Smalling 2 goals in 4 matches

At least the attack hasn’t flourished since his arrival.

settembrini

I'd forgotten that people used to blame Smalling's passing for why our attack wasn't working. Guess that argument has been blown out the water this season :(

Red_toad

I'd forgotten that people used to blame Smalling's passing for why our attack wasn't working. Guess that argument has been blown out the water this season :(
Funny thing is thread bumped as ref made a massive error as did person who posted it. Seems he’s still the anti christ on here, people just looking for reason to take a dig at him.
I’m glad he’s doing well in Italy, but I still suspect he’ll end up at la arse.

UnitedFan93

He's a better defender than Lindelof.

Lindelof is fecking awful, he doesn't win headers and gets bullied pretty much every game. Plus his passing is overrated.

At least Smalling does the basics well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Happy Smalling's doing well. Slightly underrated here at times,much of that boils down to the fact he's not the most pleasing player on the eye to watch.
But as an out-and-out centre back he's good,if a little too handsy at times.

He still needs a haircut,though.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Well no he doesnt, because you dont. Lindelof didnt pass the ball forward more than Smalling did last season. He rarely finds a good pass forward.

There are occasional times when he does try to find a more progressive pass forward, or smacks a long ball forward thats generally not good enough to find a player and Smalling doesn't try these things as often. But thats why he's better under pressing than Lindelof is. Because Lindelof will take a risk thats simply not worth it, to take extra touches or try to be a bit clever now and again in areas that don't benefit the team much at all, because you're in your own defensive third 85% of the pitch away from the opponent's goal.

If you just need players willing to take a chance to move the ball forward all the time, even if they might get tackled or lose the ball then why does any team play a midfielder who retains the ball?

Why dont they have an entire midfield of people trying to play Pogba and Veron throughballs?

The answer is because a team has 10 outfield players and you want to strike the right balance. If you have all your players doing this, you won't have as much of the ball and that will invite pressure. So there is benefit to balancing your team with players who will keep the ball and not try to overachieve from where they are whilst taking risks, if you also have players who are going to be taking chances to make something happen and force the play. Someone like Pogba for example.

I would argue that a striker who is really good at closing down and tackling (and I mean, as good as a defender. Lets say AWB playing as a striker good) is more beneficial to the team than a CB who is happy to dribble forward a bit, or play a risky pass now and again that might get intercepted losing the ball in a dangerous area.

Why?

The tackling striker, when he is successful, has a chance either on goal or a great chance to play a teammate through on goal.

A CB on the occasion that they do go past a player from CB, or play a risky pass into midfield thats done very well still doesn't even do half the job of setting up the chance or a goal for a teammate.

Nobody is playing a striker who is an elite tackler and interceptor to try and win the ball in the opponent's final third. Because usually the first function of a striker, to finish chances and make things happen up front when the team has the ball is considered the most important thing.

The same should be the case with CBs. You have 9 other players on the pitch to balance out someone being a really good defender but not the best on the ball. And thats for 1 CB of that type. You could make it work with 2 of them as you'd still have 8 players, who then have less defensive responsibility who can focus more on being progressive and attacking because its been balanced out for them.
So your argument is that you need a team of 9 elite outfield passers to carry Smalling as a sub skilled passer and ball mover? I'm not sure what he has done in his career to deserve that kind of devotion to keeping him at the club.

I could buy that if it is possible to have 9 elite passers in one squad or if Smalling was himself elite at every other aspect of his game such as defending and composure, leadership to ignore his clear and obvious limitations, neither of which are true.

Its not a coincidence that every manager for the national and club teams he's been part of has tried to move on from him. Jose tried with Bailly, Jones, Blind and subsequently Lindelof. Southgate doesn't even want him near the England squad while persisting with the likes of Keane, Mings or even Dunk alongside Maguire. Solskjær has moved him on at the first chance. Van Gaal would have done the same if he had other options or lesser glaring holes to fix elsewhere.

Kostov

This. It was always a ridiculous thing to blame on Smalling when we have appalling attackers like Lingard/Mata constantly starting games for us. Add on that a CM like Fred who is an absolute garbage at whatever aspect of his play, you have the same problems lurking.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Smalling has suddenly gone from being Phil Jones to Maldini on here.

He's a decent defender but he's miles off being an elite defender. He was probably England's 7th or 8th choice central defender while he was here.

Smalling is a clear step lower than Maguire and Tuanzebe in quality, and about the same level as Lindelof. Smalling was sacraficed instead of Lindelof due to age.
That's not a fact about his quality but rather what the manager thinks. Jones was playing for England whilst Smalling wasn't getting picked. Kyle Walker was being played as a CB because England play piss easy teams most of the time. In terms of defending he's better than most of them. He's a pure defender and that's not what Southgate wants.

POF

I'm happy for him. He is definitely poor on the ball but is easily United's best pure defender (including Maguire).

Good defending is appreciated far more in Italy. He will do very well there. Hopefully United can get £30m for him.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Our issues in attack is more down to injuries at the moment. While I never considered Smalling to be a good ball playing centre half, he seems to be enjoying more time on the ball as the pressing in Serie A generally isn't anywhere near as intense as the premier league. I don't think he has the capability to play passes from the back the way Van Dijk does or how Rio used to for you but that shouldn't be his prime concern.

We needed someone to help tighten up the back as our defence was shocking for a while and he's done just that.

Ekeke

Our issues in attack is more down to injuries at the moment. While I never considered Smalling to be a good ball playing centre half, he seems to be enjoying more time on the ball as the pressing in Serie A generally isn't anywhere near as intense as the premier league. I don't think he has the capability to play passes from the back the way Van Dijk does or how Rio used to for you but that shouldn't be his prime concern.

We needed someone to help tighten up the back as our defence was shocking for a while and he's done just that.
Good to hear a Roma perspective

Ekeke

So your argument is that you need a team of 9 elite outfield passers to carry Smalling as a sub skilled passer and ball mover? I'm not sure what he has done in his career to deserve that kind of devotion to keeping him at the club.

I could buy that if it is possible to have 9 elite passers in one squad or if Smalling was himself elite at every other aspect of his game such as defending and composure, leadership to ignore his clear and obvious limitations, neither of which are true.

Its not a coincidence that every manager for the national and club teams he's been part of has tried to move on from him. Jose tried with Bailly, Jones, Blind and subsequently Lindelof. Southgate doesn't even want him near the England squad while persisting with the likes of Keane, Mings or even Dunk alongside Maguire. Solskjær has moved him on at the first chance. Van Gaal would have done the same if he had other options or lesser glaring holes to fix elsewhere.
No my argument is you need 8 decent ball playing players, who are freed up from defensive responsibility to have 2 out and out CBs. 1 is easy.

If you can't attack with 8 outfield players, the 8 outfield players arent very good collectively

Ekeke

Lascelles was just pulling his player and his shirt, more than Smalling does on set pieces and the foul/penalty wasnt given. Not even checked on VAR

Member 102134

What a wonderful performance today again, he was amazing, what a passion, fight in every tackle, keep going forward. Smalling is best Roma player so far, and to produce this kind of performance against AC Milan, Roma fans adores him

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
A scrappy 2-1 victory for us against Milan and Smalling was really good once again. I never used to think of him as an inspiring leader while he was with you but he has certainly bought experience and a lot calmness in our defence.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A scrappy 2-1 victory for us against Milan and Smalling was really good once again. I never used to think of him as an inspiring leader while he was with you but he has certainly bought experience and a lot calmness in our defence.
Would you be pleased if Roma made the move permanent?

Ekeke

Well look at that, turns out Roma can score goals when hes playing too

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Would you be pleased if Roma made the move permanent?
I wasn't too sure when we first announced him so I thought a loan was a good move. After watching him play in every match for us, I'm delighted with him. I'd love to have him on a permanent but not sure if we can afford the move as we will look to get him for a low fee as possible.

The league suits him better than the Premier League, he has more time on the ball so he isn't rushed or having to deal with an aggressive pressing system. I'd like to think that his communication and leadership skills have improved and will continue to improve with us due to the language barrier so he has to be more vocal or gesture to get his point across so he does come across more of a leader. Dominant in the air and is beginning to pass more into the feet of our midfielders which is good in terms of building attacks. Hopefully he stays consistent!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wasn't too sure when we first announced him so I thought a loan was a good move. After watching him play in every match for us, I'm delighted with him. I'd love to have him on a permanent but not sure if we can afford the move as we will look to get him for a low fee as possible.

The league suits him better than the Premier League, he has more time on the ball so he isn't rushed or having to deal with an aggressive pressing system. I'd like to think that his communication and leadership skills have improved and will continue to improve with us due to the language barrier so he has to be more vocal or gesture to get his point across so he does come across more of a leader. Dominant in the air and is beginning to pass more into the feet of our midfielders which is good in terms of building attacks. Hopefully he stays consistent!
Sounds great. I hope he continues to do well for you and you end up buying him. Wish him well.

caid

He became a decent leader for us to be fair to him. Put in some great performances to get us results towards the end of our season finishing 2nd. He has his limitations but he ticks a lot of boxes too.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Love reading your posts mate. Cheers for the updates.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He should come back next year. Lindelof doesn't inspire me any confidence.

Sorry Roma, we need him back here in Manchester.

SteveW

I can't imagine Smalling and his lack of creativity in the present side with McTominay and Fred infront of him. The few line breaking passes that happen appear to come from Maguire, Rojo, Axel or Lindelöf stepping up and bypassing the midfield.

He's a good solution for some team, it definitely isn't United unless Scholes and Carrick are infront of him.
Rojo consistently hoofs high aimless balls up the pitch. He doesn't even try to pass it most of the time.

SteveW

What a wonderful performance today again, he was amazing, what a passion, fight in every tackle, keep going forward. Smalling is best Roma player so far, and to produce this kind of performance against AC Milan, Roma fans adores him
This will come to as absolutely no surprise to those that have watched him properly over the last few years. He's a very good defender.

RUCK4444

This will come to as absolutely no surprise to those that have watched him properly over the last few years. He's a very good defender.
I agree, always thought he got crazy amounts of stick by the fans. Prior to Maguire’s arrival he was easily our best central defender.

I watched a couple of old classic United games on MUTV and it seemed his forward passes back then were much better. That’s been a weakness for him,

Italy will suit him well with a little more time on the ball. One v one he’s always been very good and they will appreciate that in Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.