Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

i would think he would rather give a pen for that than the ball hitting his face. Either way, it was the wrong call. Not sure why everyone thinks he gave it for handball
The referee indicated it was handball. That’s why everyone thinks it was handball, hardly rocket science :lol:

A-man

Soft penalty but being punished for having his arms all over. For a long time I have thought this is one of Smalling’s weaknesses. But it was soft.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's never a pen. Ridiculous call.
Good to see hes doing so well there though. Good players, unfairly criticized so often just because he looks awkward. Maguire is on a different level IMO but he should probably start next to Maguire if we kept him (though understandably with his on the ball weaknesses, people would have reservations). Think we could make it work though.

Ekeke

Soft penalty but being punished for having his arms all over. For a long time I have thought this is one of Smalling’s weaknesses. But it was soft.
He had his arms on him when the player was already falling through the air. It was also the most basic and softest body contact you will see in a football match.

And according to the people who watched the game the referee indicated it was for handball. I wasnt watching so I'll go with their report

A-man

He had his arms on him when the player was already falling through the air. It was also the most basic and softest body contact you will see in a football match.

And according to the people who watched the game the referee indicated it was for handball. I wasnt watching so I'll go with their report
In my opinion that is never a penalty, all I’m saying is he needs to be more careful with his arms both from a handball and from a wrestling point of view.

Shimo

Well that is embarrassing, having a proper agenda against him and then posting that. Too funny.

Ekeke

In my opinion that is never a penalty, all I’m saying is he needs to be more careful with his arms both from a handball and from a wrestling point of view.
I dont think he does need to be more careful than in that specific clip, because if you arent allowed to do that then football is no longer a contact sport. You will no longer be allowed to touch each other

A-man

I dont think he does need to be more careful than in that specific clip, because if you arent allowed to do that then football is no longer a contact sport. You will no longer be allowed to touch each other
I mean in general. He often grabs around players and even if it is a contact sport, that is not allowed.

A-man

In general he does indeed grab players, like many other players do and something thats common in Serie A
He does and it is getting less and less accepted in most leagues.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Smalling being Smalling indeed. A player blocks a header with his face and half the world cosigns a penalty for handball. That decision would have been overturned by VAR in the PL, that's how ridiculous it is. So clear and obvious it's not a handball, and there is no other valid infraction happening, except Smalling being Smalling caught in the act of looking like himself:lol:

On the video replay the only slight infraction was that guy in the background, he was mildly holding one of the attacking players.

Shimo

He does and it is getting less and less accepted in most leagues.
Admittedly not watched every game but, how many penalties have been given just in the Premier League this season, in what 90 games? The amount of grabbing hasn't reduced one bit. Many claimed that Smalling would be basically giving away penalties all the time with the introduction of VAR but, VAR is not really paying attention to all the grabbing that goes on, refs aren't either unless it's completely blatant.

Red_toad

not in that clip posted here. I assume not many were watching the game live when United was on the same time
Try reading the match report, over asking daft questions that are easily googled. Plus it was pretty obvious has his arm out behind his head.

SteveW

Very bad call. Can't say I'm too bothered by it though. Not my team.

By all accounts Smalling has been superb for them so far. Remove the agendas and people tend to be impressed by his play.

Red_toad

Very bad call. Can't say I'm too bothered by it though. Not my team.

By all accounts Smalling has been superb for them so far. Remove the agendas and people tend to be impressed by his play.
I don’t know why people who don’t like him want him to fail, if he fails he’ll be back here when his loan ends. I hope he does very well, so we get a decent fee for him, if he’s not what the manager at the end of the season wants in a central defender.

SteveW

I don’t know why people who don’t like him want him to fail, if he fails he’ll be back here when his loan ends. I hope he does very well, so we get a decent fee for him, if he’s not what the manager at the end of the season wants in a central defender.
We've 3 worse CBs at the club imo. Lindelof is getting bullied, Rojos distribution is far worse than Smallings has ever been and Jones is made of glass.

But yeah if the manager doesn't want him I'd hope we'd at least get a good fee. No point in wanting him to fall. That Samid guy has a shitty attitude.

Baneofthegame

We've 3 worse CBs at the club imo. Lindelof is getting bullied, Rojos distribution is far worse than Smallings has ever been and Jones is made of glass.

But yeah if the manager doesn't want him I'd hope we'd at least get a good fee. No point in wanting him to fall. That Samid guy has a shitty attitude.
Smalling was the last one out of Rojo/Bailly/Jones etc I wanted to leave, but at least he’s getting game time on loan.

Still, getting hit in the face to concede a penalty, so harsh and obviously, the wrong decision.

SteveW

Smalling was the last one out of Rojo/Bailly/Jones etc I wanted to leave, but at least he’s getting game time on loan.

Still, getting hit in the face to concede a penalty, so harsh and obviously, the wrong decision.
Jesus, I forgot about Bailly. Easily the worst of the lot.

Godfather

Should call him back and send them Jones. Not that they would accept but feck me... What a decision to let him go.

A-man

Admittedly not watched every game but, how many penalties have been given just in the Premier League this season, in what 90 games? The amount of grabbing hasn't reduced one bit. Many claimed that Smalling would be basically giving away penalties all the time with the introduction of VAR but, VAR is not really paying attention to all the grabbing that goes on, refs aren't either unless it's completely blatant.
I have no idea if penalties have gone up or down, but to me it is clear that defenders grab shirts and wrestle less now than just a few years ago.

Oldyella

Lindelofs distribution has been nothing special either considering that's why he's in the team. Always happy to roll it sideways and let someone else deal with the ball.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
How is that clear to you ?
I can confirm that after the VAR being implemented. Players on corners are much doing less illegal stuff simply because if a player is being hold dives the VAR will see he was being holded, and PK is given.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I've said this many many times to Roma fans : if you want to buy Smalling, buy Jones as well. Only playing one of them causes the universe to be unbalanced and also reduces the amount of sunlight They get in total at the same time, weakening them and their luck. Photosynthesis is the process by which green plants and certain other organisms transform light energy into chemical energy. During photosynthesis in green plants, light energy is captured and used to convert water, carbon dioxide, and minerals into oxygen and energy-rich organic compounds.

Red_toad

I can confirm that after the VAR being implemented. Players on corners are much doing less illegal stuff simply because if a player is being hold dives the VAR will see he was being holded, and PK is given.
I’m glad you’ve given your expert opinion on what has happened in your opinion due to VAR being implemented.
Care to share the examples? As I’m still seeing players hold other players, both attackers and defenders. Or do you have official statistics on amount of illegal stuff now and then?
As ‘I can confirm’ doesn’t really cut it on the Caf.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I’m glad you’ve given your expert opinion on what has happened in your opinion due to VAR being implemented.
Care to share the examples? As I’m still seeing players hold other players, both attackers and defenders. Or do you have official statistics on amount of illegal stuff now and then?
As ‘I can confirm’ doesn’t really cut it on the Caf.
There is no such a statistic (for now) as also you also don't have any statistic to how many shirt pulling or player holding per match each player does. The only thing you also have is what you see during the matches.

Shirt pulling and holding was a common place on corners and set pieces (and still is at some extent).

But after the VAR, a few PK's started being rewarded by the VAR due to holding on corners. I can assure you the marking is really less "aggressive" because players now know the PK can be given easily.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I guess in EPL they are still very lenient on that. But here in PT players will not dare to make those stuff on set pieces, mainly if they are facing a top club because they know the ref will be under much more scrutiny.

Red_toad

There is no such a statistic (for now) as also you also don't have any statistic to how many shirt pulling or player holding per match each player does. The only thing you also have is what you see during the matches.

Shirt pulling and holding was a common place on corners and set pieces (and still is at some extent).

But after the VAR, a few PK's started being rewarded by the VAR due to holding on corners. I can assure you the marking is really less "aggressive" because players now know the PK can be given easily.
Oh you can assure me that your opinion is correct :lol:, do you work in sales :rolleyes:

I’m not the one saying it has or hasn’t decreased, I’m simply saying it still happens, so I don’t need stats to back that up.

cyberman

Not in England.
Has he even given away a pen in Italy yet?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Oh you can assure me that your opinion is correct :lol:, do you work in sales :rolleyes:

I’m not the one saying it has or hasn’t decreased, I’m simply saying it still happens, so I don’t need stats to back that up.
And I agree with you in that part that still happens. Set pieces are still a battle at some point and when you feel that is one of those games where refs don't want to be responsible for solving the game, they will avoid taking decisions like the plague :D

A-man

So essentially nothing.
It is not nothing. If something is, as I wrote, clear to me, eye witnessing something is pretty good. Holding and shirt pulling are also punished more today than a few years ago. I remember how some players cried about this 3 years ago when some penalties were given according to the new interpretations of the rules.

On top of that comes VAR, where for example Howard Webb, nowadays general manager of the Professional Referee Organisation, claimed that one result from introducing VAR in MLS was less holding in the penalty area.

UncleBob

It is not nothing. If something is, as I wrote, clear to me, eye witnessing something is pretty good. Holding and shirt pulling are also punished more today than a few years ago. I remember how some players cried about this 3 years ago when some penalties were given according to the new interpretations of the rules.

On top of that comes VAR, where for example Howard Webb, nowadays general manager of the Professional Referee Organisation, claimed that one result from introducing VAR in MLS was less holding in the penalty area.
It's based on your personal observations.

A-man

Which is far from the same as if it was based on nothing. If you watch a lot of football you will learn to see trends. Another trend is also how more and more defenders now try to avoid to have their arms all over the place, because penalties are easily given.

A-man

If you are not comfortable about having your own conclusion from what you see, I suggest you try read about the efforts that have been made in this area. 2016 there was
“directive to referees to get tough on shirt-pulling and blocking in the penalty box at corners and free-kicks” [from Sky Sport, but you will find about this all over internet as it was a very big debate about this].

Also Webb explained how holding in the penalty box has gone down with the implementation of VAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.