Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Let's not going stretch to other player. Let's see what the two players has in term of quality & what they offer.

Maguire:
  1. England Current Best Centre Back quality
  2. He knows how to hold the ball when under pressure, better on the ball & more suitable to have to play from the back
  3. More composed, strong, good in the air & no acceleration
  4. Defensive impact in the team (check image below)
Smalling:
  1. Not even in England Squad quality
  2. Clueless on the ball, not good in hold the ball under pressure & not suitable to have to play from the back
  3. More aggressive, strong, good in the air & has pace/acceleration
With Maguire:

With Smalling:

Fair to say that Maguire is much the better player than Smalling and has made improvements to our defense, agree with this?
Last season we had a manager who actively set up our defence to fail at the beginning of the season to make a point, and then continued destroying their morale with his negative comments. We had a goalkeeper who was in absolutely atrocious form and ultimately cost us the top 4 with his mistakes, and a rightback who had a fairly shit season. Plus it was also probably Smalling's worst season in recent times. Ahead of that defence we also had an undroppable Matic who was in atrocious form who was supposedly 'protecting' the defence.

Our entire defensive set-up is much better this season, and Maguire replacing Smalling is one of the lower aspects of that improvement (if at all).

Ultimately it's debatable whether Maguire is better this season than Smalling was last season. Maguire started the season very well and has had a couple of very good games against recently, but in between those periods he has been quite average. Smalling has definitely had a number of seasons in the past better than Maguire has been this season. His best season is far better than Maguire has ever had, although to be fair it is also far better than Smalling has ever had again (until maybe this season from the reports but I haven't watched him myself). Really we should have tried partnering them together, but we'll never know how that would have went now.

romufc

Our entire defensive set-up is much better this season, and Maguire replacing Smalling is one of the lower aspects of that improvement (if at all).
A better defensive set up? how so?

DDG has cost us around 8 points this season, we have played games where Perreira has been our holding mid field.

So he is not an improvement but is Englands 1st choice CB by a mile? Listen to players... they all respect him, he has become a leader.

How many 90 mins have you watched Smalling this season?

Oldyella

DDG has cost us around 8 points this season, we have played games where Perreira has been our holding mid field.

So he is not an improvement but is Englands 1st choice CB by a mile? Listen to players... they all respect him, he has become a leader.

AWB for his faults in the opposition half has made our defense much more solid, instead of a cb being dragged out of position to cover the space behind whoever was playing rb last season. Personally think that's the biggest difference from last year to this.

romufc

AWB for his faults in the opposition half has made our defense much more solid, instead of a cb being dragged out of position to cover the space behind whoever was playing rb last season. Personally think that's the biggest difference from last year to this.
So RB is the only reason we are better. Did you watch the one game we played without Maguire this year? We got battered v City at home. AWB played that game.

Surprise surprise we looked better with Maguire back for the away leg.

A-man

Smalling had a very good start at Roma. As many have written before, the less intense press seems to fit him well. But after the Christmas break I think he has not been that impressive. There have been a few goals that has come from mistakes from him. Some examples that I come to think of are Juventus' goal on a setpiece where Smalling misjudged the ball and missed the header and Demiral could score, and his handball resulting in penalty. I am in general not a fan of taking forensic looks at CBs as one must look more to the whole picture, but i still notice there have been more questionable actions from him in the last matches.

MadDogg

De Gea has been significantly better this season than he was last season. That's very much an indication on how bad he was last season as he's still been nowhere near his best, but last season (particularly the last few months) he was absolutely incredibly bad.

Pereira has had about four games as a central midfielder, all of which came next to Fred and Matic. The vast majority of the season we've had a combination of McTominay, Fred and Matic in our midfield, all of whom are playing far better than Matic did last season.

So we've got a better performing goalkeeper, signed one of the best defensive rightbacks in the world, and have had far more protection from our midfield. How is it not obvious that our entire defensive set-up is better? It's a huge stretch to put that improvement down to Maguire who has been average most of the season (and I'm someone who has wanted us to sign him since his Hull days).

I literally said in my post that I haven't watched Smalling this season which is why I barely commented on it.

Ekeke

Ofcourse he has made improved the team. The smalling fans have forgotten the last few years with him in the team.

The fact that we have are have also conceded one of the fewest goals in the league shows this considering we have not had a proper midfield.

How many goals this season have been individual errors?
A lot, and we have a worse defensive record than in 17/18 with Jones and Smalling starting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ekeke

Let's not going stretch to other player. Let's see what the two players has in term of quality & what they offer.

Maguire:
  2. He knows how to hold the ball when under pressure, better on the ball & more suitable to have to play from the back
Smalling:
  2. Clueless on the ball, not good in hold the ball under pressure & not suitable to have to play from the back
With Maguire:

With Smalling:

Fair to say that Maguire is much the better player than Smalling and has made improvements to our defense, agree with this?

Our defensive record before Mourinho kept putting in a 3rd CB, who was actually a midfielder and started the season with Lindelof and Bailly instead of Jones and Smalling who played for the above.

Also our record before spending £140 million on defenders Dalot, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka

This season's record :

5th best, not as good as our record with Smalling and Jones starting :eek:

Yes Mourinho torpedod our defensive record last season, but a perfect example is Lindelof who played better the back end of last season than he has played at all this season. Yet we have a better defensive record despite him doing worse.

The difference is the manager not using Ander, McTominay and Fellaini in extra CB positions, a manager not being toxic and falling out with the owners and getting himself fired. And Wan-Bissaka the best RB in the league defensively (not offensively). Its like having a 3rd CB who is actually our best CB.

Oldyella

.So RB is the only reason we are better. Did you watch the one game we played without Maguire this year? We got battered v City at home. AWB played that game.

Surprise surprise we looked better with Maguire back for the away leg.
Ffs. Read it again. You asked how we were set up different defensively compared to previous years and I said I thought the biggest difference was a competent right back. In what world does biggest difference mean only difference?

Devil may care

The thing with Smalling if that he's better than Jones and Rojo and way more reliable than Bailly, all of them should have been moved on before him, but he seemed to be the only one that wanted to actually play as opposed to make up the numbers here.

romufc

De Gea has been significantly better this season than he was last season. That's very much an indication on how bad he was last season as he's still been nowhere near his best, but last season (particularly the last few months) he was absolutely incredibly bad.

Pereira has had about four games as a central midfielder, all of which came next to Fred and Matic. The vast majority of the season we've had a combination of McTominay, Fred and Matic in our midfield, all of whom are playing far better than Matic did last season.

So we've got a better performing goalkeeper, signed one of the best defensive rightbacks in the world, and have had far more protection from our midfield. How is it not obvious that our entire defensive set-up is better? It's a huge stretch to put that improvement down to Maguire who has been average most of the season (and I'm someone who has wanted us to sign him since his Hull days).

I literally said in my post that I haven't watched Smalling this season which is why I barely commented on it.
Has he though? he hasnt been that much better than last season tbh.
I am not putting it down solely to Maguire, AWB has helped massively but fans are still here who would get rid of him because his of his output up the field?

I believe he has been a part of the improvement, considering every time Maguire doesn't play we look completely out of shape.

MadDogg

Has he though? he hasnt been that much better than last season tbh.
I am not putting it down solely to Maguire, AWB has helped massively but fans are still here who would get rid of him because his of his output up the field?

I believe he has been a part of the improvement, considering every time Maguire doesn't play we look completely out of shape.
Every time? He's literally only missed one game all season (not counting two matches where we played the kids), and in that he was replaced by Jones who had a shocker against Man City. Not exactly a good sample size there..

One decent season in 9 and that is your only argument.
Yes, because that was obviously Smalling's best season. Oh wait, that was pretty much his normal level, not his best nor his worst.

romufc

Every time? He's literally only missed one game all season (not counting two matches where we played the kids), and in that he was replaced by Jones who had a shocker against Man City. Not exactly a good sample size there..

Yes, because that was obviously Smalling's best season. Oh wait, that was pretty much his normal level, not his best nor his worst.
So it is every time isnt it? Every time can be once or 50 times. Against the same opposition 3 weeks prior and 3 weeks later we seemed to fair better. I wonder why.

His normal level? so except a portion of United fans, other managers are cluless? Southgate, Ole, Hodson? Because clearly they think Maguire is the best English CB.

He has had 9 years to show what he can do at United, if he hasnt convinced managers by then he never will. There is alot more offered by Maguire in this team.

MadDogg

So it is every time isnt it? Every time can be once or 50 times. Against the same opposition 3 weeks prior and 3 weeks later we seemed to fair better. I wonder why.
One time is every time? Seriously lol? Whatever, it also has to be noted that he was replaced with a very shaky Jones (who is a significant downgrade on Maguire or Smalling) and in our two better games against the same opposition we played a proper midfield both times instead of Pereira in there like we did in the 3-1 loss. So no that extremely small sample size can't be used as any kind of significant proof.

His normal level? so except a portion of United fans, other managers are cluless? Southgate, Ole, Hodson? Because clearly they think Maguire is the best English CB.

He has had 9 years to show what he can do at United, if he hasnt convinced managers by then he never will. There is alot more offered by Maguire in this team.
I'd have Maguire ahead of Smalling as well for England and at the start of the season for us (actually I would have had them partnered, but Maguire as the higher priority). Maguire when he's playing well does provide more overall (although Smalling will always be better defensively). The problem is that Maguire hasn't been at his best this season, other than for the first month or so and the last few games.

I'm a Maguire fan. Have been for years, and I hope he does establish himself consistently near his best. The issue I have here is that you and a couple of others are pulling extremely hand-picked stats out of the air (one time is every time as an example, or pointing to last season where the management, goalkeeper, defensive midfield and rightback were all atrocious) as some kind of proof.

Paul_Scholes18

I guess its just a coincidence that all the best performing CBs this season are on this list, but Maguire is nowhere to be seen. Thats convenient

Stats from games do not matter. It is all about who we rate. Southgate do not like Smalling and Ole do not. Thus he is shit.
I do not understand why Smalling is so underrated here. Maguire has done two good games in a row now and peeple talk him up as a GOD again. It was similar with his world cup performance and games for Leicester. His goal against Tranmere was nice and he bossed that side, but they are a bloody league 1 side.

I think Maguire is helped by the way we play. 2 defensive midfielders and also very defensive at times. When he gets exposed to pace he struggles.
He is very good with the ball and I like his drive forward. Passing not as amazing as people make it sound, but he might not be helped by our clueless ideas in attack.

We have not improved as a team with Maguire. What team are people watching? We are 7th and got worse and worse this season. I don't blame Maguire for our poor attack, but we have 5 clean sheets. Not like we are performing at Sheffield level when it comes to defending either. Could be the keepers though a lot of the time and De Gea has been poor. Although played well the last two games.
I think under a better manager we would get better results with Maguire. Although his lack of pace could be exposed in a more attacking team too.
He has never played in a top 4 side and only played for counter attacking teams.
I personally like Maguire. Seems like a nice character to have around, but he is limited as a player. I wish to see him making more runs forward because he is good when he do that and if we could coach these things into our team it could turn into a weapon.

Last edited:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
You guys would put up stats of a cb playing against babies and proclaim he's the biggest because of his tackling ability. Lost guys. The man was visibly not good enough in a FAST PACED league and now he's gone to a slower league of course he'll be decent.

Jambalaya

He was lucky to play for UTD.No big club would tolerate his shit perfomances for 9 years.Also look at Jones,Young,Lingard etc etc.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
You guys would put up stats of a cb playing against babies and proclaim he's the biggest because of his tackling ability. Lost guys. The man was visibly not good enough in a FAST PACED league and now he's gone to a slower league of course he'll be decent.
Let's not try to pretend Smalling wasn't a good defender in the Premier League.

romufc

One time is every time? Seriously lol? Whatever, it also has to be noted that he was replaced with a very shaky Jones (who is a significant downgrade on Maguire or Smalling) and in our two better games against the same opposition we played a proper midfield both times instead of Pereira in there like we did in the 3-1 loss. So no that extremely small sample size can't be used as any kind of significant proof.

I'd have Maguire ahead of Smalling as well for England and at the start of the season for us (actually I would have had them partnered, but Maguire as the higher priority). Maguire when he's playing well does provide more overall (although Smalling will always be better defensively). The problem is that Maguire hasn't been at his best this season, other than for the first month or so and the last few games.

I'm a Maguire fan. Have been for years, and I hope he does establish himself consistently near his best. The issue I have here is that you and a couple of others are pulling extremely hand-picked stats out of the air (one time is every time as an example, or pointing to last season where the management, goalkeeper, defensive midfield and rightback were all atrocious) as some kind of proof.
The reason why Ole insists in playing him every game. The backup CB;s cannot be trusted, Jones looks like a calamity every time he plays for us now. Tuanzebe is never fit.

Maguire might not have been his best, but over the past few games he has looked solid IMO.

You have an issue with handpicking stats out of air and the goalie last season but the the opposite of that fans who are have the argument of 16/17 season when we conceded least goals only to City dont take into account where DDG saved us on numerous games or the ultra defensive set up deployed?

My point is that Maguire is 26, First choice England CB, a leader, composed and a decent defender. He might not be defensively as good as Smalling but if we want to be back at the top, he is the type of CB we need.

How much confidence did Smalling fill you with when playing out from the back?

MadDogg

You have an issue with handpicking stats out of air and the goalie last season but the the opposite of that fans who are have the argument of 16/17 season when we conceded least goals only to City dont take into account where DDG saved us on numerous games or the ultra defensive set up deployed?
If that season was a particular stand-out for Smalling you would absolutely have a point. But it wasn't. His best season was 15/16 (still easily the best season any of our defenders have had since Rio and Vida declined) and we had the equal best defence in the league. 16/17 he struggled with injuries early on but once he recovered he quickly established himself as our best and all our others rotated around him, with us ending the season with the second best defence in the league. 17/18 he was comfortably our best, and we had the second best defence in the league.

As such it is blatantly obvious that last season was the outlier. And it just so happened to be the same season that our manager spent the first month or two of the season playing stupid games to make a point at the expense of our results, the same season our goalkeeper was Championship level at best, and the same season we had arguably the worst defensive midfielder in the league as almost an ever present. Not to mention a rightback who was far past his best (and who was always better on the left). So with all of those things being the case, and that season obviously being a significant outlier compared to every other season since Smalling really established himself as first choice, it doesn't make any sense to hold that season up as an example of what happens with Smalling in the team as opposed to Maguire.

Ekeke

So the premier league was full of babies 2 seasons ago, but now it isnt. Alright then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ekeke

The reason why Ole insists in playing him every game. The backup CB;s cannot be trusted, Jones looks like a calamity every time he plays for us now. Tuanzebe is never fit.

Maguire might not have been his best, but over the past few games he has looked solid IMO.

My point is that Maguire is 26, First choice England CB, a leader, composed and a decent defender. He might not be defensively as good as Smalling but if we want to be back at the top, he is the type of CB we need.

How much confidence did Smalling fill you with when playing out from the back?
Maguire has been fine. But fine wasnt the expectation for an £80 million CB.

Ole plays him because he bought him for so much money and without Smalling at the club there isn't a good option to use instead of him. Maguire is clearly better than Jones, Lindelof, Bailly and Rojo. Its just that doesnt mean hes better than Smalling because Smalling was better than them too.

If we include on the ball ability I think Maguire has been slightly better than Smalling last season overall, but definitely worse defensively than Smalling the season before last.

romufc

If that season was a particular stand-out for Smalling you would absolutely have a point. But it wasn't. His best season was 15/16 (still easily the best season any of our defenders have had since Rio and Vida declined) and we had the equal best defence in the league. 16/17 he struggled with injuries early on but once he recovered he quickly established himself as our best and all our others rotated around him, with us ending the season with the second best defence in the league. 17/18 he was comfortably our best, and we had the second best defence in the league.

As such it is blatantly obvious that last season was the outlier. And it just so happened to be the same season that our manager spent the first month or two of the season playing stupid games to make a point at the expense of our results, the same season our goalkeeper was Championship level at best, and the same season we had arguably the worst defensive midfielder in the league as almost an ever present. Not to mention a rightback who was far past his best (and who was always better on the left). So with all of those things being the case, and that season obviously being a significant outlier compared to every other season since Smalling really established himself as first choice, it doesn't make any sense to hold that season up as an example of what happens with Smalling in the team as opposed to Maguire.
Last season was a sh** show from all parts. Manager, players, owners, everything.

I am not disputing Smalling being a good defender, he is ahead of Lindelof and every other backup at this club.

The fact that Jose wanted Maguire as well tells you that it is not just Ole who sees something in him. He is one of the better defenders in the league. In an ideal world Maguire and Smalling would be the pairing.

Ole decided he doesnt want this after Maguire is signed. But that doesnt make Maguire a bad defender does it? Smalling is what he is, a very good defender.

This team has lacked a leader at the back since Rio and Vidic, Maguire is giving us that leadership.

Paul_Scholes18

Smalling didn't play all the games either. It was Jones and Lindelöf during the early parts of Oles time here.
We didn't end the season well, but not sure it was Smallings fault once he came back into the team.
De Gea gifted the team at least one goal per game near the end.
We played like dogshit against Everton, but not sure who to blame. From my memory everyone was shit in that game.

Still overall we got more points than we have now. Thus what has Maguire really improved beyond looking good himself in games?

romufc

Maguire has been fine. But fine wasnt the expectation for an £80 million CB.

Ole plays him because he bought him for so much money and without Smalling at the club there isn't a good option to use instead of him. Maguire is clearly better than Jones, Lindelof, Bailly and Rojo. Its just that doesnt mean hes better than Smalling because Smalling was better than them too.

If we include on the ball ability I think Maguire has been slightly better than Smalling last season overall, but definitely worse defensively than Smalling the season before last.
I can somewhat agree to that. Comparing Maguire and Smalling doesn't work, they are different CB's.

Smalling is better than the rest we have agreed. I was disputing with you earlier this season about Lindelof but over the season has gone he's been showing alot of weaknesses.

Maguire is a better fit to what United want in a CB in terms of leadership qualities, he calms the defence down and it would have better to have Smalling at the club over Jones and Rojo because he can stay fit.

I think Ole had hopes for Tuanzebe which has clearly flopped as he is got his place reserved in the treatment room.

AshRK

Actually they didn't. Pretty much every time this forum did a vote on who should be our starting defenders it ended up being Smalling plus another. Most obviously hoped we could ultimately improve on him, but time after time it was proved that it was only a vocal minority who truly didn't rate him and really wanted him gone.
I don't want to re post past matches thread, but if you do go back especially in the defeats you will see many people were critical of his performance. Don't get me wrong I also think smalling is a decent defender but I do not think he was amazing or even very good on consistent basis. He always had those mistakes in him and lacked the leadership qualities even after being here for 8 plus years.

Of course he was the best of the worst for so many years. It's not an amazing feat to achieve by being better than Rojo, Jones, Evans, Blind, Baily. Do I think Ole could have kept him, maybe but again that would not have stopped us from conceding silly goals. In fact people have been over critical of our defenders and then go and overrate Smalling's performance. For me the biggest issue is not Smalling leaving, honestly I wouldn't mind us selling him, my issue has been failure of Lindelof to step up more. He has not been bad but he has had those moments which Smalling also had but his ball playing abilities has been very poor (that is Lindelof's).

Ekeke

He'll be over 200 posts in here by the end of the week, absolute nutter. Once a player leaves OT, I give pretty much zero fecks. And my God, we're not talking about Ronaldo or RvN here, it's Chris bloody Smalling.
Yet amazingly you are posting about something you dont give a feck about. Weird.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

How did you listen to players and know they respect him?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Maguire:
Smalling:
With Maguire:

With Smalling:

How about the season before that when we were 2nd, and Smalling was the only guaranteed starter? And seasons before that when we always had one of the best defence, and Smalling was the best CB we had? Yeh, it doesn't really fit the narrative, does it?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hope we bring him back and start him next to Maguire. Hes faster than Lindelof (needed next to Maguire), stronger, great aerially, aggressive, and just a better defender. The 2 next to each other would be perfectly fine as a partnership and would give us some much needed dominance physically.

A-man

I doubt there is anything in Smalling’s game or performance that has changed in the direction that Ole would want him back. But when looking at the beach players, they have been both disappointing when playing and most of the time not available because of injuries. From that perspective Ole must be nuts if he doesn’t want him back.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Creatures of habbit. Still without him at the club people come in here to have a moan about Smalling not being good enough still :lol: Hello, he isn't at the club anymore give it a break. He would walk into our team, once again if he was kept around. When we came second Smalling did play a part in that, along with Young and Valencia. We're not there yet, I can understand him leaving.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just replace the word "Maguire" with Wan-Bisakka since he's been the biggest improvement to our defense.

Theres also a full season with Ole rather than the catastrophic Mourinho season. So give 40% value to the numbers since Maguire isnt even our best new defender and then compare it to the season before last, before Mourinho destabalized his own defense for a record breaking poor defensive record.
Have you seen a right back to be the main leader in organising the back four? How is a right back can be main pivot or crucial in our defense's improvement if they have nothing to do with what happened to the left side?

Status
Not open for further replies.