Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

We'd be pretty formidable in aerial duels with a Maguire-Smalling partnership at the back. Would make up for De Gea's aversion to coming off his line. Might put an end to our set-piece vulnerability, too.

-Supreme-

We have far too many CBs in the squad already.

I rate Smalling above Rojo/Jones (not by much), and he shouldn't be anywhere in the first team so to me we need to sell one of our CBs regardless of who they are as they are all squad players.

Infra-red

We have far too many CBs in the squad already.

I rate Smalling above Rojo/Jones (not by much), and he shouldn't be anywhere in the first team so to me we need to sell one of our CBs regardless of who they are as they are all squad players.
Rojo and Jones have to go, surely.

BigBebe

My mental picture of Smalling is always him tight up against an opponent, tugging at his shirt.

I don't remember him doing it so much when he first joined us but in recent seasons, it has got worse and worse to the point where I am not sure that he could stop it if he wanted to.

I think he is going to get hammered by VAR this season.

A-man

Maguire is actually a great partner for Smalling in theory. Does all the more flashy stuff running with the ball while Smalling can plug the holes he leaves behind when a move breaks down. Has very good pace to cover him also.
In that sense, yes, I agree. But to me it doesn't make sense to put Smalling as his partner. I am sure one big reason they bought Maguire was to improve the ball playing capacity and stability at the back. Putting Smalling there would not make sense. Another aspect is renewal and rebuilding. It is time for that. And with Maguire there is possibility to both build new and at the same time develop Lindelof, Tuanzebe and maybe Bailly.

Time will tell what plans they have.

Ekeke

In that sense, yes, I agree. But to me it doesn't make sense to put Smalling as his partner. I am sure one big reason they bought Maguire was to improve the ball playing capacity and stability at the back. Putting Smalling there would not make sense. Another aspect is renewal and rebuilding. It is time for that. And with Maguire there is possibility to both build new and at the same time develop Lindelof, Tuanzebe and maybe Bailly.

Time will tell what plans they have.
It makes sense because Maguire is much better bringing the ball out than Lindelof. Does it far more often and a far better dribbler. So playing him automatically makes us better on the ball

But I dont imagine its plan A to have Maguire and Smalling just due to the fact Smalling is a lot older than Lindelof

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Maguire and a fully fit/in form Bailly would be some partnership.

But I don't think you will ever see it.
When people mention Bailly being good why does it always come with an *if fit/in form type comment after it. He wasn't that good even at his very best. Certainly no where near Smalling's best.

No surprise he's our only centre back that anyone has attempted to get today.

SteveW

Why do I see this comment pops up all the time :houllier:

If no one has shown any concrete interest in buying Jones or Rojo, but there are clubs willing to offer reasonable money for Smalling, should we keep them all simply because we need to get rid of the other two first :confused:
Because we need at least 4 CBs to get through a season. If we sold him we'd need to replace him.

Jones, Rojo or Bailly all offer much less

SteveW

We'd be pretty formidable in aerial duels with a Maguire-Smalling partnership at the back. Would make up for De Gea's aversion to coming off his line. Might put an end to our set-piece vulnerability, too.
Truth.

To be totally honest we could do with Smallings pace in there. I expect Smalling to regularly play when we come up against pacy strikers. Smalling Maguire is a good partnership.

A-man

It makes sense because Maguire is much better bringing the ball out than Lindelof. Does it far more often and a far better dribbler. So playing him automatically makes us better on the ball

But I dont imagine its plan A to have Maguire and Smalling just due to the fact Smalling is a lot older than Lindelof
Having one who is good with the ball, who brings it out etc is not enough. You benefit much more if both CB can to do that and if both are comfortable with the ball under pressure. .

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
When people mention Bailly being good why does it always come with an *if fit/in form type comment after it. He wasn't that good even at his very best. Certainly no where near Smalling's best.

No surprise he's our only centre back that anyone has attempted to get today.
There’s a really good player in there somewhere. His injuries have massively affected his confidence and decision making.

fps

I used to be very harsh on Smalling but i agree now that we should keep him. I agree with you that in certain games his defensive abilities (that are good) will be valuable. My one concern about playing him against the top teams is that those teams are also very good at pressing, and this is one area where being a good ball playing CD is very important IMO. But like you say, in certain situations where we have to defend deep and defend for our lives, a combination of Smalling and Maguire could be the way to go.

I probably underrate Smalling a bit, but i just think that football has moved on (for big clubs at least) from defenders that can just defend or attackers that can just attack. Now defenders need to at the very least be good enough passers to defuse pressing and at best contribute to build up and even assists (or second assist as they call it; Maguire and VVD are very good at this). Attackers now have to defend, through pressing, and the ones that are lazy or just don't have the stamina (think Mata and even Martial) can become problematic. Lingard is valued highly by Ole and England because of this IMO.

It becomes a long post but i feel a bit for Smalling TBH. He lives in a time where being good on the ball for a CD is no longer a plus, but a requirement. Worse "defenders" then him are more valued both by clubs and countries simply because the ability to defend is no longer enough. Had he been in his prime 15-20 years ago he would have been much more appreciated IMO.
I partially agree, but he's been at the club for 9 (nine) years now. He couldn't have worked on his touch and passing? He hasn't got any better.

Hughes35

I highly doubt that the plan was to buy Maguire for him to partner up with Smalling. Smalling is good at defending and often gets good stats but the whole team suffers when he plays. That is my personal opinion.
That's what I said. I don't think Smalling + Maguire is the plan.... I think at some point in the season Smalling will get a chance due to injuries etc and will take it though. That's what happens every year. He always plays his way back into the team because he's always been our most reliable defender.

A-man

That's what I said. I don't think Smalling + Maguire is the plan.... I think at some point in the season Smalling will get a chance due to injuries etc and will take it though. That's what happens every year. He always plays his way back into the team because he's always been our most reliable defender.
What you write is what I am afraid of. It can very well happen that he plays his way back in to the starting XI, but I see that as very unfortunate. He is good at defending and it is very easy to play him instead of growing the younger players. It is also deceptive, his defending style makes him look good but the team will suffer from not having the stability under pressure.

After being placed no 6 last year, it is time to rebuild and I don't see Smalling as the future. I hope they dare to risk a little at injuries etc and play younger players like Tuanzebe for example. Maybe at the cost of some points initially, maybe not, but at least building for the future.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Sadly, people are mistaking availability/reliability for quality/contribution. The only reason Smalling will get a chance is because we have nothing better not because he is any good. As soon as we get better replacements in, he won't be getting much game time. Hopefully Tuanzebe and even Jones who wasn't too bad pre-season will start ahead of him this season. Getting zero minutes in the last two friendlies was quite telling as to what direction Ole wants to go. If Bailly hadn't been crocked he probably would have gone to Everton.

diarm

We keep him because of the four centre backs we have who aren't good enough to be at the club, he's the only one who can be relied upon not to be injured for 75% of the season.

That's the only reason. He should be gone and replaced next summer, along with Bailly once fit enough to sell.

Rojo, Jones and Fosu-Mensah should be gone already.

WPMUFC

I went to the Glory and Leeds pre season games. I have never seen a defender rely so heavily on using his hands to push opponents in the back. If smalling is a regular this year, I want to find the betting odds for most penalties conceded (especially with VAR)

Andy_Cole

I went to the Glory and Leeds pre season games. I have never seen a defender rely so heavily on using his hands to push opponents in the back. If smalling is a regular this year, I want to find the betting odds for most penalties conceded (especially with VAR)
Everyone has been saying this for years yet there hasn’t been one VAR call against him.

jackal&hyde

Everyone has been saying this for years yet there hasn’t been one VAR call against him.
We only now will have VAR in PL and he wasn't in the World Cup. The point is mute though as he won't be playing as a starter anymore.

Hawks2008

He has a place in the squad, not as a starter bug will be useful in games against teams who play long and with lots of crosses.

jackal&hyde

Its more factual data than you have anyway
Maybe so, but we will not get the full picture because now he will not be a starter anyway. As long as Maguire is fit, Tuanzebe might be a first back up to Lindelof.

Ekeke

I'll take that bet

Born2Lose

Perfect encapsulation of why Smalling should never play for a club with any sort of ambition towards the biggest trophies.

If you think his first attempt is bad, wait till you see his second further in the video.

Ekeke

Perfect encapsulation of why Smalling should never play for a club with any sort of ambition towards the biggest trophies.

If you think his first attempt is bad, wait till you see his second further in the video.
So being bad at penalties makes someone not a good CB. Got it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

You'd actually want Smalling a lot around the box in attack. His finishing and movement is very good for a CB, combined with a decent instinct for goal. He has good technique on the volley.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Decent defender. Very poor footballer.

After Maguire, he's the only centre back we have who is even remotely capable in the air. That'll save him I reckon.

Mad to think he'll be 30 before long. Its as if he never evolved as a player so it didn't occur to me that he'd get older as a human :lol:

MadMike

My mental picture of Smalling is always him tight up against an opponent, tugging at his shirt.

I don't remember him doing it so much when he first joined us but in recent seasons, it has got worse and worse to the point where I am not sure that he could stop it if he wanted to.

I think he is going to get hammered by VAR this season.
He played 10 games under VAR last season. 8 of those with European refs as well. Nothing happened.

Based Adnan

Sums up the state of the club when Smalling is eligible for a testimonial after this season

fps

Because two years ago he couldn't shoot well, when he plays CB? Bizarre.

The shooting of the rest of them is far more concerning, but again, 2 years ago.

passing-wind

Definitely the the third best centre half but useless on the ball. Smalling will be useless with any teams required to play out of the defence.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I sincerely hope we rarely see him all season but he's gonna end up racking up 50+ appearances I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.