Chris Smalling - linked with a move away

Seven Seas Sardines

I think he'll be sold at some point but I hope he's not sold to a rival. Aside from City he'd improve every team in the league.
You reckon it's more likely he'd get into a team with Davinson Sanchez, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eric Dier, or a team with Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Christensen, Rudiger and Cahill than a team with Stones, Otamendi, Mangala and a constantly injured Kompany? :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You reckon it's more likely he'd get into a team with Davinson Sanchez, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eric Dier, or a team with Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Christensen, Rudiger and Cahill than a team with Stones, Otamendi, Mangala and a constantly injured Kompany? :lol:
He would stand out at City. And not in a good way.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Maybe in the summer but not now. With Bailly injury prone and Rojo looking more maniacal with every appearance it would be crazy to sell him. He's a solid squad player if nothing else.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's our first choice CB loool. Jones will make way for Smalling when Baily is back, not the other way around.
Mourinho obviously has Jones pegged as our first choice when fit, he's partnered everyone consistently at least once since Mourinho took over and his anger when he got injured on England duty shows that. I don't think either will make way for Bailly when he's fit, he's probably our most naturally gifted CB but he'll have to earn his place back like anyone else.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Wouldn't mind selling him, but would mind selling him to Arsenal as he'd improve them.

Nick7

Honestly, yeah. That's not talking about his defensive skills, but there's no chance Smalling gets into a Guardiola team. He's too shit on the ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jose really likes him, this is a no go.

Andersons Dietician

Foooooook no, rather ship out Rojo and Jones before losing Smalling. Probably just news paper trash. As others have said normally when he is fit he’s Jose’s most trusted defender. He may not be Bonnuci,Silva,Vidic Nesta or whomever but he does a damn decent job and unless we are buying someone the standard of those mentioned can’t see him leaving.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Because he’s just not the quality we require at United. I would never trust him in a pressure cooker situation in the semi-final or final of the Champions League against a top club because he would just shit the bed. We’re playing Stoke and Burnley and fecking Leicester and he can barely cope, what do you think will happen if we played Barcelona, Real and PS fecking G? We’ll get absolutely mauled!
The last time we were in the knockout stages of the Champions League he was one of our best players over the 2 legs against Munich. And he's only got better since then.

PieCrust

He's our best CB in the air by a wide margin and on his day can dominate strikers out of the game. Although he hasn't found the form he had for that half of a season under LVG when for my money he was the best defender in the league.

With Lindelof not quite there yet, doesn't make sense to ship off Smalling right now. That's without even considering the terrible injury record we've had at the position for years.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
The last time we were in the knockout stages of the Champions League he was one of our best players over the 2 legs against Munich. And he's only got better since then.
We scored and instead of shutting up shop we conceded 3 in quick succession like a pub team, I was there and I was fuming. Definitly not his greatest advert.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
We scored and instead of shutting up shop we conceded 3 in quick succession like a pub team, I was there and I was fuming. Definitly not his greatest advert.
If you were there surely you can remember the goals had absolutely nothing to do with him? It was almost entirely Evra's fault. Lost the header to Lewandowski for the first, didn't get close to Robben at all for the second or third.

Sigma

I like him, don't think we should let him go unless we get a very good fee.

stevoc

I'm willing to bet money that once fit Jones will not be dropped. Jones is our best defender.
Just as long as you're not betting on him staying fit mate, that would be like throwing money away. And that's why he will never be our first choice, he's just too unreliable.

Kag

Won't happen.

Liverpool have just spent £75 million on a similarly sized centre back who is worse at defending and has played like a tosser all season.

I say it all the time and I'll say it again. Appreciate what we have at the back here, Smalling included.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We shouldn't be selling for anything less than £35m
Edit: He'd improve them massively. No deal.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Totally forgot about Spurs. I think he's probably have slotted in as well as Sanchez and he's better than Dier but no chance he's getting past the other two. He'd easily get in the Chelsea team. It's pretty obvious he isn't good enough on the ball to play for City. Mangala's a bit of a buffoon but he's far more capable of playing under Guardiola. The other three are no brainers.

izec

Hope we sell him soon, he is not United quality on the ball and that is part of a defenders job nowadays. I am sorry, but we need better and we definitely can improve in that department too. His pure defensive ability isnt good enough to justify the minutes he gets. The only CBs i really rate are Bailly and Jones.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
At the moment, if we sell Smalling we literally have one good CB fit, and some people would be happy to sell him. Great stuff.

deafepl

Really? Anybody forgot Smalling's contract expiring in 2019, we need to sell him to recoup money (assuming refusing to sign extension contract) so we can buy somewhere for same value or get De Vrij on free.

deafepl

At the moment, if we sell Smalling we literally have one good CB fit, and some people would be happy to sell him. Great stuff.
It is obvious that we should sell him if he refuses to sign extension contract because his contract expiring in 2019) so we can find a replacement for CB.

davidmichael

Bailly, Rojo and Jones can’t all stay fit at the same time and Lindelof hasn’t settled at all so with Tuanzebe probably being loaned we need Smalling so don’t see it happening at all.

Is it me or does it feel a bit weird posting in a thread in this section that isn’t the Alexis Sanchez thread ? I feel like an addict in need of a fix as I’ve spent the past week in that thread

Red00012

Bailly, Rojo and Jones can’t all stay fit at the same time and Lindelof hasn’t settled at all so with Tuanzebe probably being loaned we need Smalling so don’t see it happening at all.

Is it me or does it feel a bit weird posting in a thread in this section that isn’t the Alexis Sanchez thread ? I feel like an addict in need of a fix as I’ve spent the past week in that thread
Can’t see him going anywhere this window anyway we’ve had too many injuries in the back I stand corrected but I think every one of our defenders has been injured at some stage this season except Blind ? And he hasn’t been injured because he hasn’t played !

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It is obvious that we should sell him if he refuses to sign extension contract because his contract expiring in 2019) so we can find a replacement for CB.
Because buying good CB for 30-50 mil is so easy these days.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He would stand out at City. And not in a good way.
Smalling admittedly is not great on the ball, but from what we've seen under Van Gaal I would assume he would fit like a glove to the high-line and rigid defensive shape of Guardiola's team. The problem for City is that their defenders lack pace and awareness to go with the aggressive press. Smalling would provide that and actually stand out foreal, from a defensive standpoint. Dominating an area high up the pitch to sustain offensive pressure is Smallings ideal setup i would say. Also, he would mostly be so close to his teammates via a triangle so his safe short-passes would be enough to keep Guardiola pleased i reckon. Im not saying Guardiola would go for him, but if he was already at City when he came in he would probably be a mainstay there i reckon. Or maybe i just touched on Guardiolas weak point

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He's our first choice CB loool. Jones will make way for Smalling when Baily is back, not the other way around.
I think Jones is much better than Smalling is. I'd expect him to keep his place when everyone is fit. The only issue with Jones is keeping him fit.

redpatron

Hope we sell him soon, he is not United quality on the ball and that is part of a defenders job nowadays. I am sorry, but we need better and we definitely can improve in that department too. His pure defensive ability isnt good enough to justify the minutes he gets. The only CBs i really rate are Bailly and Jones.
agreed. he's not good enough especially for a team trying to win champions league. that super cup vs real madrid showed us his limitations and how slow our build up from attacks when he's playing. it was embarrassing watching ramos control the midfield with isco, kroos, and modric and watching smalling stalling waiting for matic to come back to him to make the simple pass.

Really? Anybody forgot Smalling's contract expiring in 2019, we need to sell him to recoup money (assuming refusing to sign extension contract) so we can buy somewhere for same value or get De Vrij on free.
the question is Smalling worth 120k a week? 150k a week? Phil wants 150k, how much do Eric and Marcos want? I don't think he worth more than his current wages and thats why he should be moved on.

diplomat

Smalling is at his peak at the moment and don't think he will improve from now on so I would't mind if he is sold at some point, as long as we sign another young English CB in his place and as long as we don't sell to Arsenal, unless they offer something ridiculous like £70m.

He is almost 2.5 years older than Jones, who in my view has shown higher level of qualities and abilities as Manchester United player, although suffering more injuries.