Chris Smalling - linked with a move away

United_We_Stand

Linked with a move away by Graeme Bailey of the Gambling Times! He's not going anywhere, at least until the summer.

DCP

He's better than Van Dijk, however contrary to what a lot of people have said in this thread, he is dreadful on the ball and infinitely worse than what we've got.

I wouldn't sell him unless we had an immediate starting replacement lined up, him and Jones seem to have a decent understanding and the 3 of Smalling, Jones and Shaw playing together regularly does England no harm whatsoever... although it's likely that Southgate would persevere with others instead.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I hope Chris doesn't go to Arsenal - he'll get tons of stick when their defence gives their latest performance of Escape From Victory.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Arsenal :lol:

Straight swap for Harry Maguire please. We sell a dud and get a ball playing tank (194cm, 100kg) in return :drool:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not his biggest fan as some people might remember. I got pelters for having an agenda against him but I realise now that he's a good player on his day and good option to have. I wouldn't want him to go unless an offer over 30 million came in.

Kapardin

Think Arsenal have convinced themselves that they took Mkhi from us and had the better deal. Now they are coming for a player who is starting regularly for us.

Smalling is not indispensable, perhaps we can upgrade on him in another year or so. But we have other problem positions to address in the summer, and I'd prefer we retain our current crop of CBs to spare the cash. All of them have their flaws, but they are for the most part quite solid and dependable on their day.

diarm

Alderweireld has been making noises about his wages and reportedly has a 25mil release clause if they trigger his contract extension for 2019.

I wouldn't mind us selling Smalling at a good price to Arsenal if we out that cash towards a serious Alderweireld bid in the summer. Levy is above all a business man and will listen to bids before risking him going for 25m or less.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Did I hear correctly that video ref is coming to the league next year? If yes, get rid this year for sure. He can't defend without pulling shirts, he's going to be bloody useless.

Thiagoal

He's been good this season and gets OTT criticism. Ok he's not great on the ball but I'd say he's no worse than the likes of Jones. I'd rather keep him till the summer at least and I'd probably consider selling Jones before him. Smalling is our best aerial defender.
I rate Jones as the most in-form defender in the league currently! The idea of selling him is ludicrous in my opinion!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd keep him around as an option but wouldn't be that gutted if we sold him and had enough defensive cover.

Minimalist

Always think he’s a good squad player but I must say he in particular has stood out as making a few mistakes recently (thankfully that didn’t result in goals).

Still think Phil Jones’ lack of effort for the Vardy goal was more worrying than anything else for our centre backs.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If Ed pulls this one off, this would be the best January transfer window in our history! :drool: Swapsies for Ozil. Come on Woody, get it done! And ship off Darmian back to Italy, while you're at it.

Kapardin

Also, even if Smalling is not deemed to be good enough for us, I don't think we should make a habit of selling to a rival. One thing to sell Welbeck who doesn't score much or Mkhi for whom we get Sanchez in return, but Smalling will definitely strengthen their defense and will put in some good performances. Not having that.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
After buying Welbeck their fans would go ballistic if they signed Smalling from us.

United Pro

Maybe in the summer, but we'd be silly to sell now with Bailly injured. Smalling is currently a first team CB and is arguably our only "tall" CB, with the rest of our CB's standing at about 6ft1. In this market, £30m is a decent enough fee for an regular England international.

TheHeya

Wouldn’t like to see him leave right now but if Arsenal make a good offer in the summer I wouldn’t be sad to see him go. TFM looks like he’s done enough at Palace to deserve a place in our squad so he would take up Smallings role.

Canagel

I'd sell him but not now, in the summer. The only reason he's in the team is because he's the best defender fitnesswise. On the ball he is awful and he may have height but there are plenty of defenders out there with height and can pass the ball. Maguire at Leicester is one example. This isn't to discredit Smalling in any way, I like him as a defender and back in the day he would've been seen as the perfect old fashioned centre half but now football is heading in a direction where defenders need to do more than just defend. They are seen as the first attackers too and are expected to contribute in an offensive way. Especially at big clubs. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and unfortunately I don't think Smalling can help the team progress in this respect.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Please let this be true, the AFTV meltdowns would be immense after his brainfarts :lol:

kps88

No fecking way we let him go in the middle of the season. Especially considering how often our CBs get injured.

Havak

Pokemon master
He's basically first choice at the moment, can't see us selling. There is no 'need' for us to sell, especially when Lindelof is suspect and Bailly is injured. Jones and Rojo have terrible injury records as well. No deal.

AndyJ1985

I don't think he's a very good footballer and I wouldn't be sad to see him leave. He's one player we should easily be able to replace.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Please let this be true, the AFTV meltdowns would be immense after his brainfarts :lol:
You actually think we would be weakening Arsenals defence if we sold them Smalling?

I wouldn't even sell him for Van Djik-money, and the club won't neither. Simply because we don't have to.

Smalling-Koscielny would be better, attacking-wise, in that Arsenal team than Jones-Rojo are for us in our setup. Arsenal would be infinitely better defensively too. Bailly and Lindelof still lack experience at this level but have talent. We also have Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe. We have talented young players that are not ready. What we don't have is defensive problems. Why create a gap in our squad when we don't have to?

Devil may care

I can't see us making any defensive personnel changes in the next 18 months, after that we'll see where Axel's development is.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think he'll be sold at some point but I hope he's not sold to a rival. Aside from City he'd improve every team in the league.

Oscie

Who sells Alexis Sanchez and once the paperwork is signed then asks about another player from the club they just sold Sanchez to?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A monster in the air, but gets too tight on players.

Hope we keep him. He's a good squad player.

Camilo

Ridiculous. I'm not Mike's biggest fan, but he seems to get stronger and stronger - the feck ups are pretty much non existent this season. I think we've got a great collection of defenders, and unless someone genuinely better is signed, I don't see why we'd sell any of them, and even then, I'm not sure Smalling would be the one to go.

If Arsenal are interested it'd have to be a big money move and a promise of much more money for Smalling - it's not like he's a bench warmer. I know it sounds ridiculous, but with his current form and standing in the team, Arsenal need to be offering 50 million to even begin tempting the club I reckon.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
You actually think we would be weakening Arsenals defence if we sold them Smalling?

I wouldn't even sell him for Van Djik-money, and the club won't neither. Simply because we don't have to.

Smalling-Koscielny would be better, attacking-wise, in that Arsenal team than Jones-Rojo are for us in our setup. Arsenal would be infinitely better defensively too. Bailly and Lindelof still lack experience at this level but have talent. We also have Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe. We have talented young players that are not ready. What we don't have is defensive problems. Why create a gap in our squad when we don't have to?
Because he’s just not the quality we require at United. I would never trust him in a pressure cooker situation in the semi-final or final of the Champions League against a top club because he would just shit the bed. We’re playing Stoke and Burnley and fecking Leicester and he can barely cope, what do you think will happen if we played Barcelona, Real and PS fecking G? We’ll get absolutely mauled!