Chris Smalling | Roma player

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ok 1st half, an absolute shocker in the 2nd. The backfour weren't helped by Roma's non existent midfield though.

criticalanalysis

Surely the night one of the Cafs biggest myths finally died?
He was indeed horrendous tonight but that's not representative of his time here. I think the injuries and maybe his diet has affected his physicality.

The Smalling at Utd was a beast athletically. Tonight was a shadow of himself, not to say he was perfect here of course.

Still a 'questionable' sale imo considering our defensive issues after his departure.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Had a rough night. At fault for three or four goals tonight.

RUCK4444

He was our best player, kept 2 goals onside and then gifted a penalty.
The pen was harsh in fairness, Scholsey and Hargreaves saying the same.

Listen he had a poor game but we were electric that second half.

I suppose what I’m saying is, Put Lidelof in Roma’s defence and it’s the same result tonight.

diarm

Bit harsh :lol:

We ripped them apart and it’s not entirely his fault.
I'm in no mood for being reasonable!

I've been rowing with fellas on here about Smalling being shite for as long as I can remember and tonight feels like delicious vindication.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Just press him, watch him look for the short ball out to Young before panicking when he realises that it's not 2018 anymore.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's so nice he's no longer our problem :)

Dan_F

Cheers Mikey. Felt weird watching him shake his head after making a mistake in a different team’s shirt. I felt a bit sorry for him on the penalty.

He was indeed horrendous tonight but that's not representative of his time here. I think the injuries and maybe his diet has affected his physicality.

The Smalling at Utd was a beast athletically. Tonight was a shadow of himself, not to say he was perfect here of course.

Still a 'questionable' sale imo considering our defensive issues after his departure.
Physicality has nothing to do with him charging out leaving a gaping hole in the defence, or being oblivious to players running off him. All things he often did here too.

diarm

Tonight was an exact representation of how I remember him at United. The only way it could've been more representative was if he'd scored an own goal while trying to clear the ball with the wrong foot.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Definitely should have kept him :lol:

Had a hand in all 6 of our goals. The sight of him ponderously pirouetting around a stationary ball only to pass it to the CB next to him brought back some horrible memories.
Maybe you'll agree, but didn't their defence and his crazy bad performance remind you of how our defence used to be when he was here? Silly positioning, glitching and lagging on the ball to pass it sideways, playing players onside... oh god.

A-man

His performance showed us in some way how we have improved our back line. I have watched plenty of Roma and he has had a lot of the same stuff as he had tonight. Dodgy positioning, weird decisions, pushing forward and leaving a gap behind, and some poor passing.

criticalanalysis

Physicality has nothing to do with him charging out leaving a gaping hole in the defence, or being oblivious to players running off him. All things he often did here too.
Tonight was an exact representation of how I remember him at United. The only way it could've been more representative was if he'd scored an own goal while trying to clear the ball with the wrong foot.
He's always had some positional issues but his other qualities made him still a good defensive option.

I'm not claiming he was great, I'm just saying he wasn't horrible as shown tonight.

A fit Smalling alongside Maguire with McFred in front of them is not that much of a difference between our current pair imo.

Idxomer

He has declined massively in the last couple of years but he was mostly a very good player in his time with United.

Holocene

Looked like he was on the brink of tears in his post match interview. Have to feel for him.

AgentSmith

Always liked Mike, shame he didn’t get a good reception from a full Old Trafford. Model pro who always gave his all despite technical limitations.

Wasn’t content sitting on the bench either and pushed for a move as soon it became obvious he wasn’t 1st choice which I always found admirable.

He was a massive help tonight though.

predator

Youth NITK
He pissed me off a few times during the match but I've calmed down now and feel for him. He was with us for nearly a decade, have a bit of respect.

Bobski

He was rotten, to the point it was embarrassing for him. Physically looked ponderous, heavy and slow to react, which was the most surprising thing for me as his physicality, speed, power and agility were always at a high level, and I can never remember him carrying excess weight while at Utd, shadow of the athlete he was. Odd position/role he was playing as well, always seemed to pushing into try and press the ball but clearly wasn't fit enough to play that way.

Awful showing for him, worst match he has ever played at OT.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Guy was a very good servant for us and a good player. I was never in the "should never have sold him" camp and I'm glad Roma got trashed but i take zero satisfaction in his misery/poor showing.

Can't remember him ever having such a shit match for us. He looks on a steep decline.

::sonny::

Always struggling with his fitness

never good enough for utd

Him and jones regular starters for many yrs at United still a nightmare

A-man

He's always had some positional issues but his other qualities made him still a good defensive option.

I'm not claiming he was great, I'm just saying he wasn't horrible as shown tonight.

A fit Smalling alongside Maguire with McFred in front of them is not that much of a difference between our current pair imo.
IMO Smalling started to get trouble when the press on the back line got more intense in the PL. In Italian football there is little of that compared to England. He, and the other defenders, had quite a few of those poor dangerous passes tonight. Like when he cleared the ball in to the centre, straight in to our player (24-25 min something).