Christian Brueckner named as key suspect in Madeline McCann case | German Police state this is a murder investigation

Drawfull

@Deery @TheReligion @sullydnl

Thanks for the replies. I don't know enough about criminal motives at all really, which is why I tagged @TheReligion , but I would like to think that random murder of a kid is unlikely, (the calls could be to check the coast is clear re timings for a burglary, but then) - yet even so, I come in to nick your iphone and then the kid ends up murdered, and disappeared? unlikely. Can't see a panicking burglar getting rid.

Kidnap is possible - after all, that was the main theory aside of parent involvement - but then why kidnap if only to kill?

The calls (which are implied to be before the crime) make no sense as a thing to link to the murder charge for me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I may be missing something but how in Gods name has he not been brought in before for questioning with his record and ties to the area?
It said it one of the articles that he was one 600 people (presumably mostly sex offenders) that they had looked at and eliminated in the past. So for all we know they did speak to him then. They later recieved "substantial" new evidence in 2017 which presumably contradicted whatever had prompted them to eliminate him as a suspect initially.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Thanks for the replies. I don't know enough about criminal motives at all really, which is why I tagged @TheReligion , but I would like to think that random murder of a kid is unlikely, (the calls could be to check the coast is clear re timings for a burglary, but then) - yet even so, I come in to nick your iphone and then the kid ends up murdered, and disappeared? unlikely. Can't see a panicking burglar getting rid.

Kidnap is possible - after all, that was the main theory aside of parent involvement - but then why kidnap if only to kill?

The calls (which are implied to be before the crime) make no sense as a thing to link to the murder charge for me.
They didn’t expect there to be as much heat as there was? Little blonde girl in Iberia with a teardrop eye. If they planned to traffic her, she very quickly became a huge problem for them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

It probably becomes more likely if the person doing the burglary is someone who also molests children though. I would hazard a guess that a lot of attacks on children are opportunistic rather than pre-planned.

Drawfull

It probably becomes more likely if the person doing the burglary is someone who also molests children though. I would hazard a guess that a lot of attacks on children are opportunistic rather than pre-planned.
Was she gonna go to the police with 'it was the chap in the campervan'? It doesn't make sense to me, but I take your point, to a point. I still think burglary > molestation > murder > get rid of the body is a massive leap.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I may be missing something but how in Gods name has he not been brought in before for questioning with his record and ties to the area?
He was apparently previously ruled out (by the Portuguese police) so probably has already been questioned. He allegedly told a friend he knows what happened to her on the 10th anniversary (and I've just read that he gave some details). They've probably been investigating him for the past 3 years and are going public now hoping for someone to come forward because they've not been able to find enough evidence to charge him (supposedly no DNA evidence of her retrieved from the vehicles).

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
It said it one of the articles that he was one 600 people (presumably mostly sex offenders) that they had looked at and eliminated in the past. So for all we know they did speak to him then. They later recieved "substantial" new evidence in 2017 which presumably contradicted whatever had prompted them to eliminate him as a suspect initially.
Ok thanks, just shows how many sickos are walking around amongst us if someone like this can be quickly eliminated from enquiries.

Hopefully some closure to the family if he is guilty but also must be heartbreaking to eventually lose any hope at all.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

According to this him telling a friend he knew what happened was the significant new information they recieved in 2017.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Hopefully this can get resolved this time and the family can get to mourn their loss. Must be horrible for them right now.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
It seems like they haven’t got enough evidence to convict so either need a confession or the guy on the end of the phone to come through.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It seems like they haven’t got enough evidence to convict so either need a confession or the guy on the end of the phone to come through.
Or anyone else he spoke to about the case in the intervening years to come forward with information. If he spoke about it to one person in the bar then he might have said it to others too.

Deery

Dreary
Or anyone else he spoke to about the case in the intervening years to come forward with information. If he spoke about it to one person in the bar then he might have said it to others too.
Yeah, but how are they going to get Chinese whispers to stick unless it’s some concrete evidence, I think the guy on the other end of the phone would know something more..

lsd

The Oracle
If they are calling it murder then you would assume they have something on record that he is guilty whether it is a witness confession or something else like an online conversation he made .

Hopefully the family will finally get closure

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah a confession, even if made to a third party, is admissible as evidence (in the UK).

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
That Madeline McCann doc dropped in 2019 didn't it?

But a significant breakthrough on this guy was discovered in 2017.

But he wasn't mentioned in the doc was he?

I guess it's just a case of there always being so many leads.

lsd

The Oracle

That documentary was a joke though . Most documentaries are biased and only interested in telling the makers agenda especially the ones on Netflix

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Sometimes the police don't talk about solid leads because it can harm their investigation.

diarm

Interesting that they've released the two phone numbers. You would think that could well result in leads because if other people are anything like me, I still have numbers in my phone from the first Nokia 3210 I owned 20 years ago!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Interesting that they've released the two phone numbers. You would think that could well result in leads because if other people are anything like me, I still have numbers in my phone from the first Nokia 3210 I owned 20 years ago!
Without being too flippant, they may be the kind of contact no one wants to admit to knowing. Of course, they might get lucky and find someone who hired him as an odd job man or something.

More likely it's that "old allegiances changing" and guarantees about anonymity etc that might give them something.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Surely if they have the phone records for the calls between his phone and this other phone, they will also have a list of other phone numbers he's contacted in the previous weeks to paint a picture of his circle of friends?

TheReligion

Abusive
Can they triangulate his phone movements from old data?
So these were the best handsets available in 2007;

https://www-phonesreview-co-uk.cdn....3/phones-review-ultimate-top-10-mobiles-2007/

Now the iPhone had just come out and if I recall correctly a new era of smart phone was just about coming in. I'd wager he didn't have a brand new phone given the life style he was allegedly living so probably something older than
a 2007 release so non smart phone and pay as you go.

Retrospectively I'm not sure you can go back for triangulation that far or how it would work in Portugal. It's all about plotting what network masts the phone pings and working out the location so usually a "live" thing. That said there are some other departments who do things that I'm not familiar with so who knows.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surely if they have the phone records for the calls between his phone and this other phone, they will also have a list of other phone numbers he's contacted in the previous weeks to paint a picture of his circle of friends?
I'm interested in this as it would suggest he's kept the same number/SIM for a very long time.

Do we know how he was caught for raping the 72 year old 12 months before McCann went missing? This was in the same resort so wouldn't surprise me if during this investigation they've linked the two somehow.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'm interested in this as it would suggest he's kept the same number/SIM for a very long time.

Do we know how he was caught for raping the 72 year old 12 months before McCann went missing? This was in the same resort so wouldn't surprise me if during this investigation they've linked the two somehow.
Apparently some burglars discovered a video of the rape at his place and reported it to the police.

TheReligion

Abusive
Apparently some burglars discovered a video of the rape at his place and reported it to the police.
Interesting. So he obviously likes to keep things as mementos. Wonder if they have found something to link McCann to him in that case.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So these were the best handsets available in 2007;

https://www-phonesreview-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/www.phonesreview.co.uk/2007/05/13/phones-review-ultimate-top-10-mobiles-2007/amp/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15914364521540&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2007/05/13/phones-review-ultimate-top-10-mobiles-2007/

Now the iPhone had just come out and if I recall correctly a new era of smart phone was just about coming in. I'd wager he didn't have a brand new phone given the life style he was allegedly living so probably something older than
a 2007 release so non smart phone and pay as you go.

Retrospectively I'm not sure you can go back for triangulation that far or how it would work in Portugal. It's all about plotting what network masts the phone pings and working out the location so usually a "live" thing. That said there are some other departments who do things that I'm not familiar with so who knows.
Yeah to be honest I thought it would be a long shot.

that being said, Irish cops did it in 2007

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.ind...veal-secret-life-of-joe-oreilly-26304756.html

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hopefully this can get resolved this time and the family can get to mourn their loss. Must be horrible for them right now.
Let's hope justice is done and if he is guilty then it does indeed resolve things at least in a legal context and brings some element of closure... I suspect the worst thing for the family must be knowing if they had not left three children under 4 years old alone so they could have some food and wine with their mates then most probably none of this would have happened
I can't imagine the thought process that makes parents think its OK to leave kids unattended at that age ... doubt they can ever forgive themselves for that decision and as I say I can't imagine deciding that one of the adults wouldn't stay with the kids and perhaps swap after an hour or so
And doing this three nights in a row and leaving the door unlocked so as not to wake the kids when they came back... well let's be honest it seems bloody stupid at best and downright negligent wouldn't be an overstatement imo
I think its probably that decision which as I say as a parent I can't fathom has perhaps been the reason the mccans never got huge public sympathy

Last edited:

diarm

Without being too flippant, they may be the kind of contact no one wants to admit to knowing. Of course, they might get lucky and find someone who hired him as an odd job man or something.

More likely it's that "old allegiances changing" and guarantees about anonymity etc that might give them something.
Yeah that's a very fair point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wonder what evidence would convince them to that extent that she's dead? Strong enough for them to tell the parents that she is dead (which I assume is a high threshold to meet) but not a body and not linked to the suspect enough to charge him.

Also, some of the comments beneath that tweet....

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
This is really interesting if true. I wonder what they have/know. It can't just be a hunch but mustn't be enough to charge.

Video of something perhaps?