Christian Brueckner named as key suspect in Madeline McCann case | German Police state this is a murder investigation

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Her parents are guilty of child neglect and should have been prosecuted. Who goes out for tapas and wine for the evening and leaves their young children sleeping back in the hotel room? fecking idiots.
People did that all the time when I was little. We used to go to Butlins every year and you'd often hear 'Child crying in chalet 16f',

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Her parents are guilty of child neglect and should have been prosecuted. Who goes out for tapas and wine for the evening and leaves their young children sleeping back in the hotel room? fecking idiots.
They were in line of sight to the room. This happens all the time in resorts. Not like they went off to town in a taxi.

And they could have been outside the door and not stopped someone breaking in through the back window. They could have been in the living room with the TV on and not heard. Here in Australia you will commonly be outside when young kids are asleep inside.

Lets look to blame the criminal responsible and not the parents who have had to live with this ever since. I'm sure they are punishing themselves more than enough about this without help. I suspect that this urge to blame the parents is a defense mechanism because people don't like to think it could happen to them.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Looking at what's been mentioned the suspect was;

* A convicted sex offender, more specifically a paedophile.

* Rented an apartment in Praia da Luz for several years.

* Began living in a campervan in the areas 12 months before McCann went missing.

* Is confirmed to be in Praia da Luz at the time of her disappearance.

* Has activity on his phone in the hour leading up to her disappearance.

* Transferred the registration of his vehicle to another name the day after her disappearance.

Certainly seems a very solid person of interest given he meets the profile, knew the area well and clearly had good links with locals and associates near by. That said the information is all circumstancial at the moment (unless more is being held back). Would be interested to know who he is and what his previous offences are and what he's serving time for currently. People in the area must know who he is given he lived there for a period so perhaps not as difficult to work out his movements and who he spoke to on the phone as first thought.

If the Portuguese hadn't fluffed about with this for over a year I really do think it would be solved.
If her parents hadn't acted so irresponsible then probably there wouldn't be any case at all

devilish

They were in line of site to the room. This happens all the time in resorts. Not like they went off to town in a taxi.

And they could have been outside the door and not stopped someone breaking in through the back window. They could have been in the living room with the TV on and not heard.

Lets look to blame the criminal responsible and not the parents who have had to live with this ever since. I'm sure they are punishing themselves more than enough about this.
What does line of sight means exactly? I can clearly see Valetta (Malta's capital) from my roof. That doesn't mean that if there's a crime there I'd notice it. I'm not batman

Seriously leaving a 3 year old in a hotel room alone is irresponsible. I pity the child for what she passed from thanks to her negligent parents

Abizzz

Even if they were negligent in that moment that doesn't make them responsible for the actions of a depraved criminal. I applaud those detectives staying focused on the case and all the police working with them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What does line of sight means exactly? I can clearly see Valetta (Malta's capital) from my roof. That doesn't mean that if there's a crime there I'd notice it. I'm not batman

Seriously leaving a 3 year old in a hotel room alone is irresponsible. I pity the child for what she passed from thanks to her negligent parents
Could hit the front door with a thrown bread roll type close. The outside dining area in my previous home was this sort of distance from my son's bedroom - common in Australia. You can't be within arms length of your kids 24/7.

Blame the person who broke in and kidnapped her not her parents.

devilish

Could hit the front door with a thrown bread roll type close. The outside dining area in my previous home was this sort of distance from my son's bedroom - common in Australia. You can't be within arms length of your kids 24/7.

Blame the person who broke in and kidnapped her not her parents.
I got a large house myself. That's why I got cctv cameras, silent alarms and of course a camera inside my girl's bedroom. If she sneeze I'd know.

And I would never leave her alone without ensuring that she has trusted supervision,certainly not to eat tapas. If I am abroad then she comes with me wherever I go.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
How much has this cost again?
Personally I don't care how much it costs, it's a drop in the ocean for police budgets and money well worth spending, if one of my daughters disappeared I would hope for the same level of funding.

I think the McCanns have been treated horrifically, by parts of the UK media and public, why should we question how much it costs and what they were doing, they were not abusive or neglectful parents and I am sure they have regretted that night every day since it happened, I feel terribly sorry for them.

They were about 50 feet away from her and checking the room regularly, yet it's often painted as though they were miles away out on the piss without a care in the world.

I remember during the Leveson Inquiry, in his written evidence, Gerry McCann claimed that the Express was one of the first papers to turn against them, printing a groundless story that they may have sold Maddie to help pay off their mortgage. After numerous seemingly made up stories he said he phoned the editor and asked where they got these stories from and would he stop, he said he was told that the paper did not care if the stories were made up, and that Gerry McCann was free to sue as every time they put Maddie's face on the front page they sold thousands more copies, so even if a case was successful the paper would still come out ahead financially. The Express obviously denied this conversation had ever taken place, so make your own mind up.

The amount of people that blame those poor parents for their actions rather than the person that took her is horrendous, victim blaming at its very worst.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I got a large house myself. That's why I got cctv cameras, silent alarms and of course a camera inside my girl's bedroom. If she sneeze I'd know.

And I would never leave her alone without ensuring that she has trusted supervision,certainly not to eat tapas. If I am abroad then she comes with me wherever I go.
That sounds rather paranoid TBH. I assume she is very young but as they get older you also have to be careful to allow kids appropriate freedoms for their age, which are often uncomfortable for parents.

And it isn't really about what you would do as we all have different circumstances and standards. We did something close to this once when we were at a resort that didn't have room service and we weren't comfortable so took the food back to the room. But if in the few mins the room was locked with my son in it he could have been kidnapped in this way and the only person responsible for that would have been the criminal.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Personally I don't care how much it costs, it's a drop in the ocean for police budgets and money well worth spending, if one of my daughters disappeared I would hope for the same level of funding.

I think the McCanns have been treated horrifically, by parts of the UK media and public, why should we question how much it costs and what they were doing, they were not abusive or neglectful parents and I am sure they have regretted that night every day since it happened, I feel terribly sorry for them.

They were about 50 feet away from her and checking the room regularly, yet it's often painted as though they were miles away out on the piss without a care in the world.

I remember during the Leveson Inquiry, in his written evidence, Gerry McCann claimed that the Express was one of the first papers to turn against them, printing a groundless story that they may have sold Maddie to help pay off their mortgage. After numerous seemingly made up stories he said he phoned the editor and asked where they got these stories from and would he stop, he said he was told that the paper did not care if the stories were made up, and that Gerry McCann was free to sue as every time they put Maddie's face on the front page they sold thousands more copies, so even if a case was successful the paper would still come out ahead financially. The Express obviously denied this conversation had ever taken place, so make your own mind up.

The amount of people that blame those poor parents for their actions rather than the person that took her is horrendous, victim blaming at its very worst.
Agreed

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It doesn't matter what you would or wouldn't have done or what Madeleines parents did. The only thing that matters is if there is a chance that the girl can be found safely then the police must pursue it .
Erm, I don't want to sound insensitive but...

People who believed the idiotic theories that they had something to do with it will be in shambles right now.
Were they that idiotic? I mean, I guess most reasonable persons are already past the point of believing that is a serious possibility, but at the time It was an official line of inquiry from the police. And it's certainly not an extremely rare event. I can think of two high profile cases in my contry alone of parents "accidently" (violence not intended to kill) killing their children and who went on high profile public chases and requests of support only to end up confessing they were the perpetrators when the investigation turned to them. It's not an extremely unbelievable scenario. Only time and incessant investigation turned this into an extremely unlikely scenario in the McCann's situation.

devilish

That sounds rather paranoid TBH. I assume she is very young but as they get older you also have to be careful to allow kids appropriate freedoms for their age, which are often uncomfortable for parents.

And it isn't really about what you would do as we all have different circumstances and standards. We did something close to this once when we were at a resort that didn't have room service and we weren't comfortable so took the food back to the room. But if in the few mins the room was locked with my son in it he could have been kidnapped in this way and the only person responsible for that would have been the criminal.
She is 1 year 8 months. The baby camera will stay there till as long as possible . It won't be removed by age 3 that's for sure

I would never leave a 3 year old alone in my house let alone in some hotel room situated in a foreign country. If I want to eat outside I'd order take away or I take my kid with me. Children at that age can stay out till reasonable time while dinners can easily be swapped with lunches. I haven't gone out for for a night out since my girl was born. Which is fair enough cause I knew what I was in for and I had my share of those before becoming a father.

Some countries like Portugal and Malta tend to be safer then the UK is. However that also means that they have little experience in dealing with outlier crimes like these. Pedophiles and kidnappers will know that. Having worked in such businesses I assure you that security in such resorts tend to be lax, they tend to rely on seasonal work force coming from god knows where and that master keys tend to be easily available. Rooms aren't catered to leave children on their own. In many countries that is illegal

Last edited:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
She is 1 year 8 months. The baby camera will stay there till as long as possible . It won't be removed by age 3 that's for sure

I would never leave a 3 year old alone in my house let alone in some hotel room situated in a foreign country. If I want to eat outside I'd order take away or I take my kid with me. Children at that age can stay out till reasonable time while dinners can easily be swapped with lunches. I haven't gone out for for a night out since my girl was born. Which is fair enough cause I knew what I was in for and I had my share of those before becoming a father.

Some countries like Portugal and Malta tend to be safer then the UK is. However that also means that they have little experience in dealing with outlier crimes like these. Pedophiles and kidnappers will know that. Having worked in such businesses I assure you that security in such resorts tend to be lax, they tend to rely on seasonal work force coming from god knows where and that master keys tend to be easily available. Rooms aren't catered to leave children on their own. In many countries that is illegal
Omg just shut the hell up ffs

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth noting that many hotels and resorts offer a baby listing service, which can sometimes consist of staff listening into the room via phone/monitor or sometimes consist of a nanny stopping outside the door at regular intervals to listen in. In fact Mark Warner were criticized for not offering such a service in this case, as they usually do in their resorts. This despite the McCanns making the not unreasonable point that having family members regularly go in to the apartment to check on the children was actually safer than depending on a stranger stopping and listening outside the door.

I'm sure a lot of people would object to that service too but the fact that it is offered and used enough to be a regular feature of those resorts suggests that leaving children in the room alone isn't quite as uncommon as some think.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Pretty much what Penna said. I'd hate to put a number on it but let's say thousands of children have gone missing since. Why is Madeline seemingly more important or worth more resources?

And I don't think I'd ever leave my 3 year child alone like they left her so it's hard for me to imagine if it was me.
I guess that this is a case that captured the public interest to a level far higher than so many others.

There are always huge anomalies in the way we react to similar circumstances.

And as a responsible parent like yourself, I would never have left a child unattended. I am sure that not a moment goes by when they don't deeply regret that.

Let's hope that at last this tragic case can be brought to some form of conclusion.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

That's the price you pay when your case steals the limelight for years. Shouldn't be like that but then again one case shouldn't be having all the headlines for such a prolonged period. Kids disappear every day so why the special treatment here?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It is strange. A kid goes missing and people are so keen to blame the parents. With some even concocting conspriracy theories.

For all the talk of them getting so much attention due to their lifestyle and status i suspect a lot of the hate towards them comes from envy about those very things.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It is strange. A kid goes missing and people are so keen to blame the parents. With some even concocting conspriracy theories.
Because it has happened?

The crime itself is so awful that of course it's quite natural for people to seek to understand what has happened, how, why. It isn't surprising really that over the course of 13 years that some percentage of people would look at one time or other at the parents. It is what the police will do straight away.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't we actually discuss the case and the new suspect? I'm sick of each McCann thread turning into an argument as to if it's fair the investigation is still open and attracting media attention.

SirAF

Ageist
Can't we actually discuss the case and the new suspect? I'm sick of each McCann thread turning into an argument as to if it's fair the investigation is still open and attracting media attention.
This.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That's the price you pay when your case steals the limelight for years. Shouldn't be like that but then again one case shouldn't be having all the headlines for such a prolonged period. Kids disappear every day so why the special treatment here?
Harsh, if it were my daughter I would fight and fight to keep her in the public eye in the desperate hope it would help. Can’t blame them for that. As for the others it’s dreadful. I will try and find the link, but there was study that showed children of colour disappearing didn’t get nearly the same coverage. Gives another sad pointer to the reason why the black lives matter movement is so important.

EDIT here it is https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/jclc/vol106/iss2/4/

Last edited:

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
We can do both while people still want to.

TheReligion

Abusive
We can do both while people still want to.
I don't see how discussing the validity of the investigation and media attention will get us anywhere though as it's been done to death elsewhere. It seems some people are more interested in that than actually trying to get to the bottom of what happened.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I don't see how discussing the validity of the investigation and media attention will get us anywhere though as it's been done to death elsewhere. It seems some people are more interested in that than actually trying to get to the bottom of what happened.
Police have identified a suspect, we have limited knowledge about any proof and the evidence so far is circumstantial to the effect that he was in the area. We do not even know why he is currently a prisoner. We can speculate, but beyond doing that until we have more news all we can say is that we have been here before.

TheReligion

Abusive
Police have identified a suspect, we have limited knowledge about any proof and the evidence so far is circumstantial to the effect that he was in the area. We do not even know why he is currently a prisoner. We can speculate, but beyond doing that until we have more news all we can say is that we have been here before.
He's currently in prison for sex offences against children according to the German authorities. His current sentence is lengthy. I think alot more information is known but it is being deliberately withheld currently whilst they ask for further information.

I personally get the feeling this is a very strong person of interest and could be a breakthrough in the case.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's mad how people can just dive straight back into tired discussion that's been going on for years and before you know it a thread is paragraphs and multiple quote replies. Like have a day off or something.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Because it has happened?

The crime itself is so awful that of course it's quite natural for people to seek to understand what has happened, how, why. It isn't surprising really that over the course of 13 years that some percentage of people would look at one time or other at the parents. It is what the police will do straight away.
Bizarre line of reasoning. If your partner disappears then yes the police will look at you to but once there's no evidence that you're involved whatsoever, there's absolutely no reason to keep bringing you up as a suspect over and over again.

On topic, it would be good for the parents to have closure and be able to move on with their lives. Imo there's 0% chance she's still alive at this point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Reading the reports they say the suspect was one of 600 people they had already looked at but then "significant" fresh information about him was provided in 2017. I wonder what sort of info that would be?

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
He's currently in prison for sex offences against children according to the German authorities. His current sentence is lengthy. I think alot more information is known but it is being deliberately withheld currently whilst they ask for further information.

I personally get the feeling this is a very strong person of interest and could be a breakthrough in the case.
Great, so now we've been told he is a sex offender.

What's next?

Meanwhile, if your child or my nephew were taken I'd say no amount of money need be spared, or time. Any amount that the police could spend wouldn't begin to approach the amount wasted by the UK M.O.D by lunchtime.

Bizarre line of reasoning. If your partner disappears then yes the police will look at you to but once there's no evidence that you're involved whatsoever, there's absolutely no reason to keep bringing you up as a suspect over and over again.

On topic, it would be good for the parents to have closure and be able to move on with their lives. Imo there's 0% chance she's still alive at this point.
Is it necessarily the same people or new people questioning it?

How is it bizarre that naturally people with no knowledge of the case will identify the parents as possible suspects at some point when it has happened before?

TheReligion

Abusive

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Some posters are quite relentless and don't see any view other than their own as possible.

This article has some more detail about this new turn in the investigation;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...n-latest-news-two-three-people-know-happened/
I've read this article, so apart from you telling us he's a sex offender known for making inappropriate sexualised contact with girls and his current sentence is being served for the rape of a 72 year old American woman in Portugal what other new evidence can we speculate on proving this case that will be affected negatively while people still question some portion of responsibility applicable to the McCanns?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh so it's all about you is it? A girl went missing.

Oh congratulations. What about illiterate people? Do you not think about them?

this article
What about it?

So?

apart from you
Now I'm being excluded. Fantastic thanks mate.

telling us
Only information for 'us' is it? So elitest.

Assuming gender is so 2019.

Gross.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal

What about it?

So?

Gross.
:lol:

:(

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

What about it?

So?

Gross.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

What about it?

So?

Gross.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

What about it?

So?

Gross.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Will no-one take this opportunity to discuss the new key development?

TheReligion

Abusive
I've read this article, so apart from you telling us he's a sex offender known for making inappropriate sexualised contact with girls and his current sentence is being served for the rape of a 72 year old American woman in Portugal what other new evidence can we speculate on proving this case that will be affected negatively while people still question some portion of responsibility applicable to the McCanns?
I don't have any issue with people discussing the responsibility of the McCann's in all of this, their acts and omissions are quite important when it comes to trying to solve the case.

My issue is with people de-railing the thread by trying to turn it into an argument as to if the investigation should still be ongoing and complaining about the money spent. It's all been done before and doesn't get us anywhere.