View full 2023-24 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He looks to have fallen down the pecking order since his injury. We are winning games without him. What else can we do? He’s a good squad option to have on the cheap but surely he’ll want to play and we can find a better player who will hopefully push harder to get into the first team.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He looks to have fallen down the pecking order since his injury. We are winning games without him. What else can we do? He’s a good squad option to have on the cheap but surely he’ll want to play and we can find a better player who will hopefully push harder to get into the first team.
I’d be tempted to try him in the number 10 and give Bruno a rest. He’ll offer us more control. Bruno’s final ball has been abysmal lately.

tomaldinho1

I thought he’d have got on today as we showed no composure in midfield at all, and couldn’t keep the ball. Is he done for with us now?
Just can’t risk him in these games anymore given he’s so weak/slow. Was important first season until Andy Carroll tried to end his career and, unfortunately, he belatedly looks like he has.

Cheiba

I’d love to see Eriksen given a shot as a 10. Would be good to give Bruno a rest as he hasn’t been performing as of late.

CasaStreets

I’d love to see Eriksen given a shot as a 10. Would be good to give Bruno a rest as he hasn’t been performing as of late.
I've had the same thought a few times but just playing devil's advocate:

- Casemiro + Mainoo are not a very defensibly mobile pair of CMs, therefore Eriksen's defensive liability is a meaningful weakness vs Bruno's work-rate
- Rashford/Garnacho are not possession-oriented players who could play off Eriksen effectively, therefore Eriksen's primary strength is somewhat nullified

It's a shame though, as I think there is a different lineup of players in which Eriksen could still succeed as a #10 for another year or two at the top end of the table. On top of that, I also think a lineup in which Eriksen could succeed as a #10 would very likely be a better team playing good possession football, but that's just not the set of players we have.

Zico1982

I've had the same thought a few times but just playing devil's advocate:

- Casemiro + Mainoo are not a very defensibly mobile pair of CMs, therefore Eriksen's defensive liability is a meaningful weakness vs Bruno's work-rate
- Rashford/Garnacho are not possession-oriented players who could play off Eriksen effectively, therefore Eriksen's primary strength is somewhat nullified

It's a shame though, as I think there is a different lineup of players in which Eriksen could still succeed as a #10 for another year or two at the top end of the table. On top of that, I also think a lineup in which Eriksen could succeed as a #10 would very likely be a better team playing good possession football, but that's just not the set of players we have.
All three are fast players who can run into spaces. Eriksens main strength has always been to find those spaces. Question is, can Mainoo/Casemiro play through the lines to find Eriksen. I do appreciate Brunos workrate, but he is really wasteful setting up the front three at the moment.

Reactions: 711

Schmeichels pinky

Think we should do both - replace Bruno with him for some games and move him on in the summer. If Bruno hasn’t improved by then we should look for a replacement

Marwood

Eriksen isn't physical enough for that No10 role at this stage. You don't want him with his back to goal. He needs the game to be all in front of him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Game is way too fast for him now in #10, which is why he was moved back in the first place. It’s a nonstarter.

lex talionis

The curtain is falling on Eriksen. Brilliant at peak, but peak is now well behind him.

Dannn411

I'd use him more in his natural position at 10 as an alternative to Bruno to give him game time. He keeps the ball far better than Bruno anyways.

Man Utd 1:2 Fulham

RedStarUnited

Maguires on a yellow so it’s understandable but why doesnt he just foul Traore on the build up to that winning goal? He should be so experienced to know that you take the yellow there and move on. He instead moved out of the way.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
What a pointless player. He couldn't be bothered to put a leg in to break up the counter that won Fulham the match, gave the ball away repeatedly, and then didn't make an effort on several balls that he could've gotten to.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's done and he was done last season too

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Eriksen is about as useful as a traffic cone. Forget his set pieces, what he offers when he eventually gets time and space is not worth what we lose by relying on him in the most contested part of the pitch.

Parma Dewol

It can’t be easy coming back from the dead, but at 32 he plays and looks like he’s 42.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Eriksen is about as useful as a traffic cone. Forget his set pieces, what he offers when he eventually gets time and space is not worth what we lose by relying on him in the most contested part of the pitch.
What set pieces? Bruno hogs all them.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It really does appear that Andy Carroll basically ended his career with that 'tackle' last season. Up until that point Eriksen had his limitations, but there was still plenty of good to go with the bad. Since that injury he hasn't been remotely the same.

criticalanalysis

Bit of a horror cameo at times but again it's on ETH. Hasn't played for several weeks now. Can't expect any player to get any rhythm just like with Amad.

RuudTom83

7 minuted into injury time and he is pulling out of a tackle on the half way line to stop a Fulham attack.

Cost United a point today.

Bowlcut11

Worst player on the pitch today and that's saying something. Actually woeful out of possession and not much use in possession these days either. Bin in the summer

SAFMUTD

He looks like a 40 year old, he was never particularly physical but he looks totally finished. He looked weak and slow last season but this season is beyond ridiculous he looks out of depth. Can't play high intensity football anymore.

Lentwood

I would have called him into my office this morning and told him to clear out his locker and his cheque for settling up his contract would be in the post. Completely unacceptable, he's nowhere near the condition required to play top flight football.

How we end up with so many slow and weak players is a damning indictment of how poor our recruitment has been. It's 2024. A mediocre quick strong player is infinitely more useful than a technically good, slow and weak player.

Red Royal

I would have called him into my office this morning and told him to clear out his locker and his cheque for settling up his contract would be in the post. Completely unacceptable, he's nowhere near the condition required to play top flight football.

How we end up with so many slow and weak players is a damning indictment of how poor our recruitment has been. It's 2024. A mediocre quick strong player is infinitely more useful than a technically good, slow and weak player.
Agreed, he is in the squad based upon his past reputation. It is similar to how we hung on to Matuc and Mata and all the others for so long. Would he get close to City, Pool, Arsenal squads... no way so he should be no where near ours. Unfortunately he isn't alone and Varane and Casimero are showing similar ageing issues amongst others who just never had the quality to begin with.

RedIan

He looks like a 40 year old, he was never particularly physical but he looks totally finished. He looked weak and slow last season but this season is beyond ridiculous he looks out of depth. Can't play high intensity football anymore.
apart from the fact last season he was the main reason along with casamiro that we did so well. When he got injured we looked a lot worse.

SAFMUTD

apart from the fact last season he was the main reason along with casamiro that we did so well. When he got injured we looked a lot worse.
That's why I'm surprised he declined so fast, last season he could still handle it for around 60 minutes. Now he looks like he should retire.

Lentwood

Agreed, he is in the squad based upon his past reputation. It is similar to how we hung on to Matuc and Mata and all the others for so long. Would he get close to City, Pool, Arsenal squads... no way so he should be no where near ours. Unfortunately he isn't alone and Varane and Casimero are showing similar ageing issues amongst others who just never had the quality to begin with.
It's absolutely crazy isn't it. You can go through City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Aston Villa etc...and I can't really think of one player who doesn't have physical attributes. OK, there are some, like Odegaard or Bernardo Silva, who aren't exactly pacey or super strong, but their stamina and work-rate is still top-notch.

We have Maguire, Casemiro, Varane, Antony, Sancho and Eriksen who are all prohibitively slow.

Rashford avoids collisions and contact, ducks headers and generally ambles around the pitch.

Shaw is increasingly injury-prone.

Even Bruno, who presses well enough, is really slow, so when he does make those forward runs from midfield, he's often not get the legs to get on the end of the pass

Kostov

We all knew he is past it as a player, but I always had the opinion of him being a smart player. How he handled himself in that goal we conceded, not making the easiest of fouls, was plain stupid and disappointing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's why I'm surprised he declined so fast, last season he could still handle it for around 60 minutes. Now he looks like he should retire.
The injury from the Andy Carroll tackle seems to have ended him. I remember he was actually really good in his first game back after that injury, but pretty sure he's been terrible in every match since.

Mike Smalling

Isn't he on a hefty contract? Doubt we'll get rid of him due to that.
I think there is some hope that he would want a move, if he can see that he won’t feature in our team with any kind of regularity. He has made fairly sensible moves in his entire career, and I believe he still wants to be involved with the national team, which will be a challenge with no playing time.

As long as we are not asking for a stupid fee, I believe he could be realistically moved on in the summer.