Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snafu17

Pogba had spent the entire preseason playing in a midfield two and we have been looking for a number 10 throughout the whole window, yet people are still wondering where a natural number 10 would play if we signed him. fecking hell.

Also when exactly did Eriksen become lazy so suddenly? I swear he has been established as one of the most hardworking ACMs in the league right about until yesterday.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
It's not that far off, but it'd be more like:
Ole: Hei Christian, hvordan har du det? (the literal translation is correct, though I prefer "hvordan går det?", literally "how goes it?" but used like "how's it going?")
Eriksen: *sounding like he has a potato lodged in his throat* Fint, tak. Hva med dig? ("Good, thanks. How about you?", or literally "Good, thanks. What with you?" No one returns the question in full, that's just silly. You can also insert more commas, the Danes love 'em. A proper Dane would probably manage to cram four or five into those two short sentences.)
Ole: Joda, bare bra. ("Yeah, I'm good", or literally "yeah, just good/well/fine.")
Ole would never say: Hvordan har du det ? That is bokmål (from old Danish)- as a general rule spoken around Oslo...Mats Dahlie, Josh King, Ronny Johnsen or Henning Berg could have said that. Solskjær, Erik Nevland, Brede Hangeland, Tore Andre Flo to name some - all come from the west of Norway where they would never say "hvordan". :)

Rossa

Ole would never say: Hvordan har du det ? That is bokmål (from old Danish)- as a general rule spoken around Oslo...Mats Dahlie, Josh King, Ronny Johnsen or Henning Berg could have said that. Solskjær, Erik Nevland, Brede Hangeland, Tore Andre Flo to name some - all come from the west of Norway where they would never say "hvordan". :)
Plenty of sociolects going on in Norway, but he would probably say "kossen" or "korleis". Depends on how posh or upper class he thinks he is:smirk:

Flytan

McTom or Matic, Fred & Eriksen isn't a MF that inspires a lot of confidence.
Does Pogba not exist or something? Sure our DM spot is questionable (hoping McTominay continues to improve or Fred "adapts") since Matic sucks but Pogba/Eriksen are two of the best midfielders in the league.

TRUERED89

Pogba could still feck off to Madrid, their window doesn’t close for a long time yet! That may be the only way we get Eriksen. But then we’ve got an even worse midfield than before! With just him, Matic, McT, Fred, Perreira, what a sh!t fest that is.

Patience

Have people not watched pre-season?

Do y'all spend too much time on internet forums complaining about football, rather than actually watching football.

Stop the moaning. Especially when you don't even understand what Ole is trying to do.

All pre-season we played with a two-man midfield and a No.10.

For the two-man midfield, we currently have these options:
Matic
McTominay
Pogba
Fred
Pereiria
Garner

OK - six players for two positions

For the No.10 position, our options are:
Sanchez
Mata
Lingard
Gomes

Now, it seems as if Ole has wants a new option at No.10 because he may not be confident in those options (and I imagine he wants Lingard to play right forward as he is the best in our team off the ball for the type of approach Ole wants to take), so he has tried to sign Eriksen or Dybala.

I would also imagine that this may be Matic's last season with us.. and next summer we will go younger, perhaps with a bid for Declan Rice or Sean Longstaff.

It's simple... watch football matches and make your judgements that way. Don't just look at a list of players names on a piece of paper and complain.

In tems of my opinion: I would have hated to have signed Dybala. Great individuals like him don't settle into evolving teams like ours. I am pretty certain there would hav ebeen too much pressure on him to perform here and he would have flunked,

Eriksen? Would fit like a glove to compliment our forward line ahead of him of Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Greenwood etc.

I also believe we need an experienced forward as a back up. Mandzukic would have been fantastic.. but looks like that won't go through now.

Ole is going after the right positions after he shored up our defence. Stop complaining that he's going after the wrong positions... especially when you don't seem to have realised that we have changed shape and formation.

If we sign Eriksen, our squad will be perfectly balanced!

Also, some people are asking why would somebody leave Spurs for Man Utd?? Are you serious? Man Utd and Spurs? Are you asking this just because they finished above us last season? That's insane. We are a hundred times bigger than Spurs.

In our worst run in Premier League history over the past five years - we have won three trophies. In their best run in Prem League history over the past five years - they won sweet fook all. United are winners, even when we are not doing so well. Spurs never win. It's a no brainer. Who wouldn't choose United over Spurs? That's insane. Some of you are going mental.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedStarUnited

Pogba had spent the entire preseason playing in a midfield two and we have been looking for a number 10 throughout the whole window, yet people are still wondering where a natural number 10 would play if we signed him. fecking hell.

Also when exactly did Eriksen become lazy so suddenly? I swear he has been established as one of the most hardworking ACMs in the league right about until yesterday.
Ideally I would want us to play like City, A sitting DM flanked by Pogba to the left and Eriksen to the right. Left CM is Pogbas fav position and Eriksen frequently plays on the right for Spurs.

GioF

Genuine question but why would Eriksen leave Spurs for United?

They have a better squad, manager, stadium, Champions League..
Genuine question...how old are you? Not being disrespectful I genuinely want to know what era you’ve grown up in. I can’t understand how anyone could question ‘why’ a top player wouldn’t want to join Manchester United. It seems like one season out of the CL would make United not desirable.

And in terms of the $$$$ comment surely the prestige, history, fans, recent silverware, ambition etc. Obviously money helps but hardly the only thing??

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Would love him here. My only concern if it was to happen is that the club might see him as the Pogba replacement. I wouldn't mind him replacing Pogba, but it would have to be next summer so we can strengthen the midfield. For now our midfield is such a mess that it has to be Eriksen AND Pogba together.

buckooo1978

I think they have SOME money. Hence a swap makes a lot of sense for them. Coutinho is an instant upgrade on any player they have bar Kane and arguably Son.
maybe I'm under rating Coutinho but I think Son is a much better player

he's maybe technically better but less productive than Dele Alli

with the loan fee attached and the nature of a loan I dont see this as a valid deal for Spurs

I think the idea of Fernandes makes far more sense given they can buy him for a similar fee and pay him a more modest salary with a sell on potential too

ThinkTank@Cafe

Pogba can play as a deep lying midfielder OR wide playmaker/mezzala OR advanced playmaker. He is the world class in every role. Media and the fans expect him to do every role because he is capable to do so technically. When he tries to be in all roles simultaneously, he usually fails and is targeted by media and social networks. Pogba is a victim of his own talent, bad tactics and bad squad management. That is why he wanted to leave. I don’t blame him.

Ole decided to play him deeper. Excellent decision.

1. Passing and hold up. Pogba tends to dwell on the ball, hold it and scan the pitch. His best passing is long pass into space. His passing from the deep to Rashford/Martial running into space can win us games on its own.

2. Dribbling. His dribbling is slow but very efficient in 1 vs 1 situations. His dribbling is perfect to overcome high pressing. He’s not small and agile to be a good dribbler in final third where he will face a wall of opposition players. He needs space to dribble.

3. Tackling. Competent tackler.

4. Height.

5. Runs from the deep. This where Eriksen comes into play. In the build up, Eriksen will play higher up the pitch as AMC. Once we start to besiege opposition box, Eriksen will drop deeper to recycle procession and bombard the box. He will be outside the box to make that pass before assist. Then Pogba can run into box and shoot/head. McT is also good at running into box. As seen in preseason Gmes, MCT also encouraged to run into the box. Fullbacks also will run into box.

Many caftards moan about our inability to crack deep defense while ignoring Ole’s tactical tools being developed to solve the problem.

Signing Eriksen makes a LOT of sense. Hence, I am 99% sure that United will pay a record (again) sum for a player with one 1 year left on the contract. Levy is a shrewd businessman, he can’t go against his nature. We just have to make irresistible bid, and we’ll still get Eriksen on the cheap. His real value is no less than 100 M .

Reactions: esmufc07

beycont

Have people not watched pre-season?

Do y'all spend too much time on internet forums complaining about football, rather than actually watching football.

Stop the moaning. Especially when you don't even understand what Ole is trying to do.

All pre-season we played with a two-man midfield and a No.10.

For the two-man midfield, we currently have these options:
Matic
McTominay
Pogba
Fred
Pereiria
Garner

OK - six players for two positions

For the No.10 position, our options are:
Sanchez
Mata
Lingard
Gomes

Now, it seems as if Ole has wants a new option at No.10 because he may not be confident in those options (and I imagine he wants Lingard to play right forward as he is the best in our team off the ball for the type of approach Ole wants to take), so he has tried to sign Eriksen or Dybala.

I would also imagine that this may be Matic's last season with us.. and next summer we will go younger, perhaps with a bid for Declan Rice or Sean Longstaff.

It's simple... watch football matches and make your judgements that way. Don't just look at a list of players names on a piece of paper and complain.

In tems of my opinion: I would have hated to have signed Dybala. Great individuals like him don't settle into evolving teams like ours. I am pretty certain there would hav ebeen too much pressure on him to perform here and he would have flunked,

Eriksen? Would fit like a glove to compliment our forward line ahead of him of Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Greenwood etc.

I also believe we need an experienced forward as a back up. Mandzukic would have been fantastic.. but looks like that won't go through now.

Ole is going after the right positions after he shored up our defence. Stop complaining that he's going after the wrong positions... especially when you don't seem to have realised that we have changed shape and formation.

If we sign Eriksen, our squad will be perfectly balanced!

Also, some people are asking why would somebody leave Spurs for Man Utd?? Are you serious? Man Utd and Spurs? Are you asking this just because they finished above us last season? That's insane. We are a hundred times bigger than Spurs.

In our worst run in Premier League history over the past five years - we have won three trophies. In their best run in Prem League history over the past five years - they won sweet fook all. United are winners, even when we are not doing so well. Spurs never win. It's a no brainer. Who wouldn't choose United over Spurs? That's insane. Some of you are going mental.
Good post, especially the bolded part.

Does my head in when people ask why a player would want to join Man Utd from Spurs.

kirk buttercup

Because walk into any sports shop in the world and you will find a Manchester United Jersey . United are simply a Giant in the sporting world in terms of brand . United currently not in champions league but this is temporary. Spurs probably aren't even the biggest team in London and have won nothing since Erikson signed . As for stadiums Spurs new stadium might be fancy but OT is iconic . I can think of 100s of 1000s reasons for him to join .

Amir

Champions League finalists? Yes. The rest? Not so much. I don't for one second think Tottenham are better than us or have a brighter future...
Brighter future long term, maybe not. But buying into United right now, looking 2-3 years forward, is a gamble. Pochettino is far more proven than Solskjaer, you know what his football is about, he improves players, he has build a team that IS better than us right now. And they have CL football, which is important to some.

ReallyUSA

Genuine question...how old are you? Not being disrespectful I genuinely want to know what era you’ve grown up in. I can’t understand how anyone could question ‘why’ a top player wouldn’t want to join Manchester United. It seems like one season out of the CL would make United not desirable.

And in terms of the $$$$ comment surely the prestige, history, fans, recent silverware, ambition etc. Obviously money helps but hardly the only thing??
It's the American in me. He's in a real good situation right now. UCL finalists, new stadium, London, and they seem to be ready to make some signings finally. At his age, he knows the clock is ticking for that big club contract.

Litch

Crazy how much our own fans minimise the club like the last 6 year now defines it. It's like Stevie Wonder releasing an Album and saying why would you want to buy that, he's not done any decent stuff for 30 years, and they'd sooner buy that album from the winner of X factor. The tour always reminds me that fans outside this country appear to value it more than those in it. I've been fortunate to travel and I've been to remote parts of the world, it never fails to amaze me that I'll see a child wearing an old Utd shirt.

That counts for something with footballers especially one from that part of the world that has a massive Utd following.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pogba ticked alot of boxes. He is an academy player, he's exciting, he's fast, he's got great dribbling skills, he score goals and he's an assist machine. Yet you still find people criticising him for not being hardworking enough (which is a rare trait for an advanced midfielder), he doesn't backtrack enough etc.

Eriksen is EPL proven, he's an assist machine, he works hard (in 2018 he covered more inches of pitch then Kante), he's creative and still.....some people can't warm to the idea of him signing with us. I genuinely can't understand what United fans want from their creative players.

Scholsey2004

Pogba could still feck off to Madrid, their window doesn’t close for a long time yet! That may be the only way we get Eriksen. But then we’ve got an even worse midfield than before! With just him, Matic, McT, Fred, Perreira, what a sh!t fest that is.
Pogba's not going to Real this window now. It's clear that despite all the rhetoric they spent all their money on the players they really wanted and he obviously wasn't on that list. They obviously view him as a luxury option that they can put off til they can afford it. Theyve been doing the same thing for years and years. They did the same thing with Viera and Ronaldo. Unsettle the player when they can't afford him and 'rescue' him when they can.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We desperately need creativity in midfield. Take Pogba out of the team and that leaves our midfield lack of any creativity. Buying one of Erikson, Dybala, or Bruno (Who'd I'd never heard of prior to transfer rumours) are vital for a successful season.

My preferred choice would be Erikson.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pogba ticked alot of boxes. He is an academy player, he's exciting, he's fast, he's got great dribbling skills, he score goals and he's an assist machine. Yet you still find people criticising him for not being hardworking enough (which is a rare trait for an advanced midfielder), he doesn't backtrack enough etc.

Eriksen is EPL proven, he's an assist machine, he works hard (in 2018 he covered more inches of pitch then Kante), he's creative and still.....some people can't warm to the idea of him signing with us. I genuinely can't understand what United fans want from their creative players.
I think it's fair to say the caf ISN'T the best judge of a player, especially when it comes to creators.

Mainoldo

Must be going to Madrid next year for a free then as they won’t be bidding for him.

Hopefully we get this done, I fully expect 2 signings before deadline day. A few top clubs are still active.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think we’re done in the market.
That's how I see it. Eriksen would have been a brilliant addition to the team. However, I can't see how we can conduct such complex deal at such late stage of the transfer window.

Mainoldo

That's how I see it. Eriksen would have been a brilliant addition to the team. However, I can't see how we can conduct such complex deal at such late stage of the transfer window.
How is it complex? We bid what they want we get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.