Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Would people be happy with this front 6? Lot of creativity in that team. I expect the right back to become inverted full back to allow VDB making forward run.

Ronaldo
Bruno ---------------------------- Sancho
Eriksen ---- FDJ -------- VDB
----------- Back Four -----------
------------ Keeper -----------​
Bruno on the left and Sancho on the right not liking that for a start.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would people be happy with this front 6? Lot of creativity in that team. I expect the right back to become inverted full back to allow VDB making forward run.

Ronaldo
Bruno ---------------------------- Sancho
Eriksen ---- FDJ -------- VDB
----------- Back Four -----------
------------ Keeper -----------​
How on earth would we ever get the ball back with that midfield? Even teams like Norwich were stampeding through our centre mid last season.
It would make McFred look robust.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How on earth would we ever get the ball back with that midfield? Even teams like Norwich were stampeding through our centre mid last season.
It would make McFred look robust.
By pressing as a team.

Abraxas

By pressing as a team.
You're making no sense. Eriksen and De Jong are not pressers of the ball. See stats. Then you've got VDB, at which point has he looked an effective presence in the PL? Ronaldo doesn't really press, as we know. So where exactly is it coming from - you can't just magic physicality into existence because ETH is on the touchline, you need those qualities within the players and that's what getting an effective balance is all about. You've got no pressers, no tackling, nobody to read danger.

Already said that front line is horrendous as well and it seems most agree. All you've done is punted Bruno to an unproven position for him and necessitated the move of Sancho to a position that is proven to be less effective for him. What is to be impressed about, it has no pace and square pegs in round holes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You're making no sense. Eriksen and De Jong are not pressers of the ball. See stats. Then you've got VDB, at which point has he looked an effective presence in the PL? Ronaldo doesn't really press, as we know. So where exactly is it coming from - you can't just magic physicality into existence because ETH is on the touchline, you need those qualities within the players and that's what getting an effective balance is all about. You've got no pressers, no tackling, nobody to read danger.

Already said that front line is horrendous as well and it seems most agree. All you've done is punted Bruno to an unproven position for him and necessitated the move of Sancho to a position that is proven to be less effective for him. What is to be impressed about, it has no pace and square pegs in round holes.
He's probably plugged those players into some footy game and thought it works decently.

The idea of 3 ball players in midfield is scary in terms with how open we'd be.

Giggs' right foot

Knowing how we are run as a club we will have them report back with positive reports on this new Austria manager
Knowing how we are run as a club our scouts are probably there to have a closer look at the players they think are from Australia.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

:lol:
Tell me another.
He's probably plugged those players into some footy game and thought it works decently.

The idea of 3 ball players in midfield is scary in terms with how open we'd be.
So how the likes of FDJ Schone VDB were successful in 18/19? Was that also magic physicality into existence?

You don’t just press without being coached properly. Ten Hag relies on pressing as a team when his team defending, if he thinks Eriksen wouldn’t able to fit in to his pressing criteria after saw him in training last year, ten Hag wouldn’t want Eriksen in the first place.

ten Hag is known to play players in a position that players are unusual to play. Sancho had shown sign that he’s capable to play RW before, while Bruno also shown sign that he’s capable to play LW before. It’s about coaching and instruction to make sure they know what they do on the pitch. Ajax fans from what I watched in YouTube said that ten hag‘s wingers play like his no 10 so they are not really going to stay wide like a traditional winger.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why do we always make things hard work. Eriksen is a free transfer and will add quality and depth to our team. Get it done man!

Noc-Z

ffs
This is a deal I'd do without hesitation. I've just been thinking how much of a hard sell we are to Timber and de Jong, but for Eriksen we are surely an exciting prospect so I think we can get him (maybe the only player we are linked to I'm confident we can get) and for us - he's a great option at the right time. We have a lot of outgoings and are commencing a rebuild with presumably younger players who are alien to the Premier League coming in - he would be perfect and he's still got it - he has shown that. I don't know the details of his pacemaker or what effects that may have so I have to trust the doctors in the Premier League and believe he can still do it at the top.

This is slightly another matter, but I see Bruno as wasteful, undisciplined and a moaner so I'd be benching him and playing Eriksen as attacking midfield. I wouldn't be giving Bruno a spot on the left either just to shoehorn him in the team. To me he can sit on the bench until he can prove he can play as part of ten Hags system in a disciplined way. Honestly couldn't stand the sight of his moaning face on the field last season. I'm hoping that it was just pure frustration at the mess around him so I'm happy to give him a fresh start next season and hope that with proper coaching etc. he can be the player I thought he showed in parts when he joined.

userman

I don't see any reason to sign Eriksen other than that he's free. After we've finally managed to release the likes of Mata and Lingard from our bloated squad it would be like walking backwards into the future if we sign an ageing Eriksen for a position where we really don't have a gap to fill.
Bruno, despite his wastefullnes and lack of discipline, is by far still our most productive player. DvdB looks likely to be given a last chance to prove himself under the manager whom he played his best football for. Surely no need to waste resources on a player that will be no more than a short term squad option in Eriksen when we have young squad options in the likes of Mejbri, Garnacho etc.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Remember when we signed Bruno despite that being Pogba's position?

Why would we do that again? What is this fascination with signing who is available, as opposed to what we need?

Pronewbie

Peep
Do we really need him as a squad player? I thought the Eriksen boat had sailed years ago. Maybe that’s why Rangnick and us have parted ways. We seem to be sticking with our failed transfer policy.

Ted Lasso

Do we really need him as a squad player? I thought the Eriksen boat had sailed years ago.
He was phenomenal last season for Brentford.. arguably better than Bruno. Plus it's a free transfer. What's not to like?

Robindinho

A no-brainer in bringing him in...

Free transfer, class delivery (set pieces or open play), a good passer and can cover across the midfield. I think he'd relish being here.

davbon

I think Eriksen would be a great addition. I also really hope we scouted Denmark's LWB Joakim Mæhle. Even though he had a quiet night yesterday, he has been tearing it up for Denmark. He is really good on the ball, good dribbler, a goal threat and a great engine. He plays both LWB and RWB and would offer us a new dimension.

Pronewbie

Peep
He was phenomenal last season for Brentford.. arguably better than Bruno. Plus it's a free transfer. What's not to like?
It means we won’t be investing in good early 20s player with world class potential In the same position. Isn’t that what the transfer policy was supposed to shift towards? This is more of the same. Then again, I thought he’s already 32, so I’m going to soften my stance on this transfer.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It means we won’t be investing in good early 20s player with world class potential In the same position. Isn’t that what the transfer policy was supposed to shift towards? This is more of the same. Then again, I thought he’s already 32, so I’m going to soften my stance on this transfer.
We have Mejbri ,tbf.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Only makes sense if he’s converting Fernandes to a wide striker, and needs competition for VDB. Surely VDB is in his plans.

Scholsey2004

Isnt Eriksen essentially an 8 these days? So de Jong is 6 and Fernandes is 10. To pull that off you'd have to be pretty strong in possession of course because i'm not sure how comfortable about watching Eriksen pressing at high intensity i'd be considering his history. We've still got Fred and McTominay if it needs bolstering.

Jonesno.8

If he's prepared to come in at reasonable say Mata level wages then he'd be a good option to have from the bench. If he excels and pushes Bruno then great. 2 years out of him, yes please. Be a good influence around the younger players. You would suspect with managing his ticker that he leads a healthy and positive lifestyle so could be a role model. Has to make sense both financially and more importantly playing wise. I'd like to see him play for us tbh as a squad player helps us rebuild.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Isnt Eriksen essentially an 8 these days? So de Jong is 6 and Fernandes is 10. To pull that off you'd have to be pretty strong in possession of course because i'm not sure how comfortable about watching Eriksen pressing at high intensity i'd be considering his history. We've still got Fred and McTominay if it needs bolstering.
Nope.

AkaAkuma

We have a really poor 2nd string. So he wouldn’t be a bench option. He could play Europa games and rotate into the PL team to mix things up.

Ted Lasso

We have a really poor 2nd string. So he wouldn’t be a bench option. He could play Europa games and rotate into the PL team to mix things up.
This is not a bad thing. Mahrez, by the definition is a bench player for City. I'd put Erikson into that category - a phenomenal player who has the ability to come on and turn games and could also do the job consistently as a starter were it not for a better player to be ahead of him.

Right now we're all under the assumption that Bruno is a better player than Erikson. From a numbers standpoint, yes. But form and class will determine which of them can nail down the starting place. And frankly, Bruno would probably be a better player with the likes of Erikson hot on his tail. Too much complacency in the squad not just from poor morale but lack of genuine competition for places.

GreatDane

He has a pretty good engine on him and he's been checked and cleared medically, so lets not hold the past against him.

NoPace

This comes down to how Hag sees Bruno. Is he picturing him as a better Berghuis or as Tadic.

Status
Not open for further replies.