Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Smalling

I still think the biggest deal-breaker will be Eriksen's willingness to come here. Throughout his career he has been clever in going to clubs, where he would be reasonably certain of being a starter and playing most games (perhaps with the exception of the Inter move, which didn't work out at first). Ajax, Spurs and Brentford all turned out to be great moves for him in terms of developing him as a player, and in the Brentford case getting him back to playing.

He clearly wants to be playing first team football, and with the World Cup coming up he will want to be match fit come November. Unless ETH can convince him of regular playing time, I don't see it happening.

ThanksBoss26

I still think the biggest deal-breaker will be Eriksen's willingness to come here. Throughout his career he has been clever in going to clubs, where he would be reasonably certain of being a starter and playing most games (perhaps with the exception of the Inter move, which didn't work out at first). Ajax, Spurs and Brentford all turned out to be great moves for him in terms of developing him as a player, and in the Brentford case getting him back to playing.

He clearly wants to be playing first team football, and with the World Cup coming up he will want to be match fit come November. Unless ETH can convince him of regular playing time, I don't see it happening.
It's a fair point. Likely lends itself to staying at Brentford in that case. I'm sure there's a massive mutual respect there after what happened last season. My hunch if he does leave is that it'll be to Spurs but he's a good free transfer for sure and would absolutely be a good option for a possession style game we're presumably looking to implement.

Mike Smalling

It's a fair point. Likely lends itself to staying at Brentford in that case. I'm sure there's a massive mutual respect there after what happened last season. My hunch if he does leave is that it'll be to Spurs but he's a good free transfer for sure and would absolutely be a good option for a possession style game we're presumably looking to implement.
I do think he is more ambitious than Brentford. He has 3-5 good years left in his career, and he would want to get more out of them than potentially fighting for survival in the Premier League.

Another point is that he is very much a family man. He has spoken about how his decision will take both the sporting aspect and the family aspect into account. That could lead you to think that he would want to stay in London or at least in England.

Joeycha88

He’s still world class when he’s on. Would be a fantastic signing

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Really hoping Spurs go back in for him and bring him back.
Me too. The biggest obstacle is that he'd likely get a lot more playing time at Brentford than he would at Spurs, and this may well count more for him than the chance to play CL football.

But who knows, perhaps he'd feel confident of his ability to force his way into the first-choice starting XI under Conte. It's difficult to see how though, because Conte's three-at-the back-system leaves room for for only two CMs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Me too. The biggest obstacle is that he'd likely get a lot more playing time at Brentford than he would at Spurs, and this may well count more for him than the chance to play CL football.

But who knows, perhaps he'd feel confident of his ability to force his way into the first-choice starting XI under Conte. It's difficult to see how though, because Conte's three-at-the back-system leaves room for for only two CMs.
He would get a lot of game time I think even if he isn't a guaranteed starter, especially with the bigger subs options next season.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He would get a lot of game time I think even if he isn't a guaranteed starter, especially with the bigger subs options next season.
Yeah, maybe so. And even with Eriksen we would only have 4 CMs (him, plus Betancourt, Hojbjerg and Skipp), assuming that Lo Celso, Ndombele and Winks are all either sold or loaned

ROFLUTION

The inter move probably also confirmed that his previous career steps were the right ones with certainty over playing time.

Not sure Conte will provide it, neither Ten Hag - So basically Eriksen is only an option if we dont get De Jong, as you can't have both FDJ, Bruno and Eriksen play every week.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The inter move probably also confirmed that his previous career steps were the right ones with certainty over playingtime.

Not sure Conte will provide it, neither Ten Hag - So basically Eriksen is only an option if we dont get De Jong, as you can't have both FDJ, Bruno and Eriksen play every week.
It would be infinitely more fun than last season.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I don’t think De Jong is necessarily a hindrance to him, but Bruno certainly is. I also don’t think Utd as a team would benefit from Bruno AND Erikson, they’d lose so much possession in order to play those two it would be counterproductive.

Scholsey2004

He has a pretty good engine on him and he's been checked and cleared medically, so lets not hold the past against him.
I dont think its 'holding his past against him' to say that putting huge cadiovascular pressure from a high intensity pressing system on a guy who was physically dead from a heart seizure is unreasonable. I think if you sign a guy with his medical history then you need to tailor your tactics with that in mind.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How would spurs fans feel about that? You know with the abuse he got for his last season efforts before joining inter. You’ve almost died so all is forgiven?
He was a sensational player for us and although many of us were disappointed with the last season and the way it ended we generally have nothing but respect for the guy as a player. Obviously the heart thing has only strengthened the good will towards him. He would be welcomed back with open arms no doubt.

Abraxas

Don't know why people keep beating this drum. I get it in the sense he's a good player and "free." But where does he actually play? He's not going to add much energy to the midfield, he's somebody you need to do the running for, and we don't protect the defence as it is. So that's putting the cart before the horse.

He's probably not going to get a central attacking midfield role carved out for him either. We've already got that, albeit he needs to play better.

I don't really see it with this one, I think it's one of those where people get a little carried away at the "value." I think he's been great for Brentford and can play for a better team, quite clearly, but that's not necessarily meaning he's right for us. You still have to give him a good contract for a number of years which isn't to be taken lightly.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't know why people keep beating this drum. I get it in the sense he's a good player and "free." But where does he actually play? He's not going to add much energy to the midfield, he's somebody you need to do the running for, and we don't protect the defence as it is. So that's putting the cart before the horse.

He's probably not going to get a central attacking midfield role carved out for him either. We've already got that, albeit he needs to play better.

I don't really see it with this one, I think it's one of those where people get a little carried away at the "value." I think he's been great for Brentford and can play for a better team, quite clearly, but that's not necessarily meaning he's right for us. You still have to give him a good contract for a number of years which isn't to be taken lightly.
This shows that you just have not actually watched him play enough. At Spurs he regularly had the highest running stats in matches - he is a very hard working player.

Abraxas

This shows that you just have not actually watched him play enough. At Spurs he regularly had the highest running stats in matches - he is a very hard working player.
Maybe, but that's a while ago. At Inter they weren't that enamoured with his work rate. I've no doubt he's come out with a point to prove with his fitness, but the stats still say he doesn't really get near the opposition, he's not a defensive presence at all. Which is fine, if what is needed is mainly his quality. But if we're trying to get De Jong then it's clear this type of signing wouldn't be part of the managers midfield composition as it leaves a lot to be desired physically and defensively.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maybe, but that's a while ago. At Inter they weren't that enamoured with his work rate. I've no doubt he's come out with a point to prove with his fitness, but the stats still say he doesn't really get near the opposition, he's not a defensive presence at all. Which is fine, if what is needed is mainly his quality. But if we're trying to get De Jong then it's clear this type of signing wouldn't be part of the managers midfield composition as it leaves a lot to be desired physically and defensively.
De Jong’s partner at Ajax under ten Hag had less ‘’physical and defensive contribution’’ than de Jong.

I'm a beautiful thing

I'd have him without a doubt here,better than Bruno for me,you can't play him and Bruno together so Bruno would miss out,forget that nonsense about Bruno playing wide,he can't do that

Bwuk

I’m not sure why we can’t play him and Bruno together? I keep seeing this banded about but Eriksens shown he can play deeper.

GoldanoGraham

This seems to have cooled in the last few days - one minute everyone reporting it - the next it’s gone quiet….all back to the FDJ saga instead

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
for me, it would also give us more than one way of playing. Part of my beef with Ole was we (and the opposition) always knew exactly how we were going to play. He offers something different to some of the other names we seem interested in and, as you say (and will cheer up those in the caf who seem to think it's their money being spent), he is a free agent. It would seem mad to me not to sign him

Abraxas

De Jong’s partner at Ajax under ten Hag had less ‘’physical and defensive contribution’’ than de Jong.
So what?

Take a look at Eriksen and De Jong's defensive stats on FBRef as this is recent performance. Now adapt your thinking to the Premier League. You seem to have an obsession with his Ajax side when it's a completely new context. I think that's what is behind a lot of your questionable analysis and lineups, you steadfastly refuse to realise this is the PL, which I am pretty sure is a mistake the manager will not make. We're not going to be seeing Eriksen and De Jong in midfield.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Always love this argument. The minutes that Mejbri played he nearly got sent off, gave the ball away which lead to a goal and didn’t show any signs that he was ready for top flight football.
Yeh if you ignore all context then that’s what happened. Jeez

ForeverRed1

You can’t just have Bruno in that position. What if he is out of form? What if he gets injuries ? If we want to compete in the likes of the europa, fa cup and carabou cup we need to give players healthy competition and rotate. Playing the same player game after game for 90 minutes isn’t good for anyone, so the we have Bruno narrative is a rubbish one.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So what?

Take a look at Eriksen and De Jong's defensive stats on FBRef as this is recent performance. Now adapt your thinking to the Premier League. You seem to have an obsession with his Ajax side when it's a completely new context. I think that's what is behind a lot of your questionable analysis and lineups, you steadfastly refuse to realise this is the PL, which I am pretty sure is a mistake the manager will not make. We're not going to be seeing Eriksen and De Jong in midfield.
You still don't understand the point. The point is some manager has his own system to play. You steadfastly still refuse to realise that the obsession is not based on Ajax but based on our manager's system. Whether it's PL or no, flop or succesful. That's how he wants to play, and how he demands in his midfield, and at the moment, there is no clarity that he will change it. He even wants 180cm as his centre back.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We’ve lost Pogba, Lingard and Mata. If Fernandes does his ACL on the first of September who replaces him? This guy on a free is a no brainer. He’d provide top level squad cover and get plenty of minutes.

croadyman

We’ve lost Pogba, Lingard and Mata. If Fernandes does his ACL on the first of September who replaces him? This guy on a free is a no brainer. He’d provide top level squad cover and get plenty of minutes.
Yeah my thoughts exactly

PoTMS

If Dele Alli could play together with Eriksen, so can a player vastly superior in Bruno. He really should be our first signing.

captaincantona

Part of our problem is our over reliance on Bruno to create anything remotely dangerous. We need options. This guy is a no brainier on a free. Losing Matic, Mata, Jesse, Pogba and replacing them with DeJong and Eriksen would be a dream. Another midfield player who wants the ball relentlessly and can handle a press.

croadyman

Part of our problem is our over reliance on Bruno to create anything remotely dangerous. We need options. This guy is a no brainier on a free. Losing Matic, Mata, Jesse, Pogba and replacing them with DeJong and Eriksen would be a dream. Another midfield player who wants the ball relentlessly and can handle a press.
Yeah we should be pushing Spurs for this one

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If Dele Alli could play together with Eriksen, so can a player vastly superior in Bruno. He really should be our first signing.
Yeah, with two of Wanyama, Sissoko, or Dier in midfield behind them.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If we are interested, and I hope we are, then the biggest issue I see in attaining his services is him being settled in London.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This seems to have cooled in the last few days - one minute everyone reporting it - the next it’s gone quiet….all back to the FDJ saga instead
Players are with their international teams and generally, national team coaches are stubborn about their players linked with transfers during their time together.

PoTMS

Yeah, with two of Wanyama, Sissoko, or Dier in midfield behind them.
Wanyama was a beast but Dier and Sissoko were pretty shite. No better than Fred and McTominay. One CDM could make the world of difference to unlocking our attacking potential.

croadyman

Wanyama was a beast but Dier and Sissoko were pretty shite. No better than Fred and McTominay. One CDM could make the world of difference to unlocking our attacking potential.
Yeah still not enough noise about one for me

Ted Lasso

I don’t think De Jong is necessarily a hindrance to him, but Bruno certainly is. I also don’t think Utd as a team would benefit from Bruno AND Erikson, they’d lose so much possession in order to play those two it would be counterproductive.
I wish we had more hindrances to all our players. Real competition for places would go a long way in getting the best out of the players. Bruno especially needs more focus. Competition can only help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.