Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Strongly disagree. These stadiums represent so much more than the last ten years. It’s the same with the San Siro or Camp Nou. I’m sure 99.9% of players are more than aware of this, and it would still mean more to them then playing in a modern, shiny stadium with no history or character.
This.

There is history or stories for most United fans who go to OT. That was the section your dad or granddad took you for the first time. Or you met some of your now mates there!

Or who you saw play the very first time you went to OT. McQueen, Robson or Cantona strutting his stuff,
collar up of course.

You just can't buy memories or history.

OT is like an old DB4 versus the buggatti veyron that is those new stadiums.

captaincantona

Strongly disagree. These stadiums represent so much more than the last ten years. It’s the same with the San Siro or Camp Nou. I’m sure 99.9% of players are more than aware of this, and it would still mean more to them then playing in a modern, shiny stadium with no history or character.
for a player, a stadium is the atmosphere the fans put into it. Full stop. They don’t give a fuk about facial recognition hot dog dispensers.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He is not joining us over Spurs.
They can offer CL, Conte, London and he played for them in the past
Personally I think ETH has a bigger pull, especially since Conte weren’t much of a fan of him at Inter

dove

This.

There is history or stories for most United fans who go to OT. That was the section your dad or granddad took you for the first time. Or you met some of your now mates there!

Or who you saw play the very first time you went to OT. McQueen, Robson or Cantona strutting his stuff,
collar up of course.

Sorry but a player who has no connection with a club will absolutely not care about any of that stuff. The team's stadium will be one of the last things they would care about really. Money, location and the club will always come before that.

He is not joining us over Spurs.
They can offer CL, Conte, London and he played for them in the past
Not sure how you’re listing Conte as a plus considering how it went at Inter.
As for London, he’s from fecking Middelfart, who knows if he likes big city life or country Cheshire life. Neither you nor I that is for sure.

Posh Red

Sorry but a player who has no connection with a club will absolutely not care about any of that stuff. The team's stadium will be one of the last things they would care about really. Money, location and the club will always come before that.
I have no connection to lots of clubs, but I would still know about the history and prestige of their stadiums and it would matter to me. I think your point is invalid.

Edit: the stadium is essentially an extension of the club in my opinion, which is why a super stadium like Spurs wouldn’t interest me at all.

Ted Lasso

This. He’ll only be going to Spurs to stay in London which is understandable.
He might as well stay with Brentford then. That Inter stint under Conte was not a good one for Eriksen. I can't imagine he'd want to work under a Conte system again and take several steps back with his old stepping stone club at that.

dove

I have no connection to lots of clubs, but I would still know about the history and prestige of their stadiums and it would matter to me. I think your point is invalid.

Edit: the stadium is essentially an extension of the club in my opinion, which is why a super stadium like Spurs wouldn’t interest me at all.
You are thinking from a supporter's point of view. For a player it's a job. I would bet they care more about the training facilities, where they spend majority of their time, rather than the stadium itself.

You are thinking from a supporter's point of view. For a player it's a job. I would bet they care more about the training facilities, where they spend majority of their time, rather than the stadium itself.
Overplaying it here, a player at any top club has access to facilities we can only dream of. Bullshit anyone has it sooo much better than it can persuade a player to join one club over another.
Ruud actually used to say driving up and seeing the white OT roof gave him goose pimples. Tonnes of Liverpool players have said similar about the This is Anfield sign.

laughtersassassin

I want us to get him as we need like 5 players and we are too cheap to do that without getting some good deals

dove

Overplaying it here, a player at any top club has access to facilities we can only dream of. Bullshit anyone has it sooo much better than it can persuade a player to join one club over another.
Ruud actually used to say driving up and seeing the white OT roof gave him goose pimples. Tonnes of Liverpool players have said similar about the This is Anfield sign.
I don't know where this discussion about stadiums even started. Reality is, no player will choose some team over another because of the stadium unless the difference is massive.

Mainoldo

He might as well stay with Brentford then. That Inter stint under Conte was not a good one for Eriksen. I can't imagine he'd want to work under a Conte system again and take several steps back with his old stepping stone club at that.
Well that’s what I’m hoping for.

Mainoldo

Bro it’s 2022. The digital age. I’m sure if you can’t connect the Spotify to the local sound system in the wellness area it can be annoying for these rich guys.

I don't know where this discussion about stadiums even started. Reality is, no player will choose some team over another because of the stadium unless the difference is massive.
I think a few stadiums are extremely special personally and have a little pull. Similar to asking why would people go to see the colosseum when there’s a beautiful new piece of 2020 architecture down the road. History and “feeling” does matter.

Posh Red

Like I said though; stadiums only carry gravitas because of the history of a club. If you think Old Trafford is irrelevant you’re wrong. It’s an iconic football stadium associated with an iconic football club. No disrespect to Spurs, but it’s a whole different ball game. Playing at Old Trafford will always be special because of this. When a lower league team draws United in the cup, you will always hear their player talk about how excited they are to play at Old Trafford. You don’t have to be a United fan to appreciate it. A bit of rust and a few leaks don’t affect that at all.

Posh Red

I think a few stadiums are extremely special personally and have a little pull. Similar to asking why would people go to see the colosseum when there’s a beautiful new piece of 2020 architecture down the road. History and “feeling” does matter.
Yeah you’ve probably articulated it better than I have. Honestly, I can’t believe someone could claim things like this do not matter.

dove

Like I said though; stadiums only carry gravitas because of the history of a club. If you think Old Trafford is irrelevant you’re wrong. It’s an iconic football stadium associated with an iconic football club. No disrespect to Spurs, but it’s a whole different ball game. Playing at Old Trafford will always be special because of this. When a lower league team draws United in the cup, you will always hear their player talk about how excited they are to play at Old Trafford. You don’t have to be a United fan to appreciate it. A bit of rust and a few leaks don’t affect that at all.
Where have I said Old Trafford is irrelevant? It's one of the most iconic stadiums in the world but simply not a reason someone would join us over some other club. A lot of things come before that when choosing your next club. How is this even a discussion.

UpWithRivers

Really? He seems to be playing much deeper these days, and seems to be coping fine.
I cant say Im a Brentford fan but as far as I know he played in a 3 man midfield with 2 defensive midfielders. Sometimes 5 at the back like against Chelsea. And they are generally defensive. Put him with even De Jong in a double pivot with a roaming Bruno or even a Donny and a front 3 that doesnt press and we would be fkd. Heck McFred was overun by Norwich and they are both at the very least defensive minded.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I cant say Im a Brentford fan but as far as I know he played in a 3 man midfield with 2 defensive midfielders. Sometimes 5 at the back like against Chelsea. And they are generally defensive. Put him with even De Jong in a double pivot with a roaming Bruno or even a Donny and a front 3 that doesnt press and we would be fkd. Heck McFred was overun by Norwich and they are both at the very least defensive minded.
So you use McFred to prove your point nothing? Don't really get why McFred is mentioned for your argument, may be you can explain.

UpWithRivers

So you use McFred to prove your point nothing? Don't really get why McFred is mentioned for your argument, may be you can explain.
My point was that although McFred is sht we played with two defensive midfielders and got overrun time and time again. If we play with an attacking mid in Eriksen + 1 DM even though they are better players it will still get overrun. Probably more than McFred unless the other mid is a defensive beast and even then I doubt it would work.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Brilliant player and will be a fantastic addition if we add him to the squad, Bruno wasnt as effective last season and having Erikson there who is consistently on his game will be a massive bonus for us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My point was that although McFred is sht we played with two defensive midfielders and got overrun time and time again. If we play with an attacking mid in Eriksen + 1 DM even though they are better players it will still get overrun. Probably more than McFred unless the other mid is a defensive beast and even then I doubt it would work.
How is your logic of McFred got overrun supports or related to your point of FDJ, VDB, Eriksen midfield got overrun?

If anything, your logic of McFred counter the argument of FDJ, Eriksen, VDB being overrun because McFred got overrun due to they are not technically good to keep possession, which the opposite of Eriksen, VDB, and FDJ who are much more technical players.

Godfather

That doesn't make much sense. We get overrun in mf mostly because McT is hardly a footballer that folds under slightest pressure. if anything having better footballers in midfield that are able to control and dictate a game will prevent us from getting overrun again. One destroyer will be needed however, that's true. I think Fred can do that job.

Oranges038

And they were totally dominated by a 37 year old Moutinho and Cleverley amongst many others this last season.

They pretty get over run by nearly everybody, because the forwards, particularly the wingers don't track back. Because of this they end up running around way too much and abandoning the central areas.

But the biggest problem with them, like many others in the team, they just aren't good enough, either with their brains or technical ability to keep possession or control of the ball. They both need to be given the boot.

Andy_Cole

This was before his heart attack too right?

choccy77

Varuous Reports on twitter today, suggesting he is heading or prefers going back to Spurs?

I really hope United do everything possible to get him on a free, his experience alone is valuable for the younger players and unlike Bruno, he doesn't make wild blind passes or get upset at everything.

choccy77

McFred are awful footballers though.

I bet most championship teams would overrun them.

Fred at least tries harder, but still not good enough.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This.

collar up of course.

And it could be the stadium that ends up burying some people

i love OT

i wish there was a way to keep part of the stadium and incorporate it into a new build. A bit like you see with old renovated cottages, where it’s still the facade of the building which leads though to the new rebuild

but who are we kidding; Glazers

ThanksBoss26

Varuous Reports on twitter today, suggesting he is heading or prefers going back to Spurs?

I really hope United do everything possible to get him on a free, his experience alone is valuable for the younger players and unlike Bruno, he doesn't make wild blind passes or get upset at everything.
He'd be a great free in my book but according to the report I've just read he wants to stay in London (not the first time I've seen that either), so likely now a straight fight between Brentford and Spurs. If he doesn't want to uproot again unfortunately that's something out of our control.

Kaushal

McFred are awful footballers though.

I bet most championship teams would overrun them.

Fred at least tries harder, but still not good enough.
Fred is not an awful footballer. I don’t know why people lump him with Mctominay and pretend that both are same footballers quality wise. One starts for Brazil in midfield who are one of the favorites for the World Cup and other one doesn’t even start in midfield and plays in defence for Scotland who didn’t even qualify for the World Cup.

I’m not a Fred fan and I think we can do better than both of them but look at the sample size outside united. Fred was very good for Shahktar and is very good for Brazil whereas young scotty plays in defense for Scotland. A first team Manutd midfielder playing in defense for a country like Scotland. Why ? Because players like Armstrong are better than him. And he starts for us.

OrcaFat

Fred is not an awful footballer. I don’t know why people lump him with Mctominay and pretend that both are same footballers quality wise. One starts for Brazil in midfield who are one of the favorites for the World Cup and other one doesn’t even start in midfield and plays in defence for Scotland who didn’t even qualify for the World Cup.

I’m not a Fred fan and I think we can do better than both of them but look at the sample size outside united. Fred was very good for Shahktar and is very good for Brazil whereas young scotty plays in defense for Scotland. A first team Manutd midfielder playing in defense for a country like Scotland. Why ? Because players like Armstrong are better than him. And he starts for us.
I’m not sure all of your conclusions are solid. McT plays in defence for Scotland because he’s better than their other defenders, not necessarily worse than their other midfielders.

Fred probably is better but they both suffered from being forced to play with each other. Fred is an out and out no8, it’s the only job he can do. McT is also an 8 and has played well at times. Both would do better in midfield with a proper no6 and have been liabilities for us without that.

But I take your point that McT would not get into the Brazil team, that idea is pretty laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.