Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We’ve offered him a contract. What do you want United to do now? Force him to sign it?
Offer him a better contract. We've offered him a 1 year contract ffs, we offered more to mata, matic, cavani etc and they were older.

Rajma

This would be a really smart signing for once. If he plays to his top level it would be a massive improvement on what we have.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
“The old method didn’t work, what were they thinking!”

“Why are they doing this, they never did it this way in the past!”
He's 30 years old not 35! A two contract isn't ludicrous, surely we don't want to sign him for a single season ?

Even if he signed a 1 year contract and played decently we would anyways try to renew the contract on increased wages so might aswell tie him down for 2+1 years now.

arthurka

Will we get a player on free that's something that you don't see at Utd often. He will add much needed depth and quality.

Kaushal

Absolute class player. I want us to sign him so badly. We get him and de Jong and our football changes radically. One of the biggest reasons teams over run us and mount attack after attack is because of our midfield. You don’t need a destroyer in the middle of the park to control the tempo of the match against teams outside top 6. We have been so bad at keeping the ball and playing simple passes it’s almost criminal.

It feels like fred Mctominay and Bruno are having their own competition who can misplace as many passes as possible. How can the defense have any sort of protection in such a scenario ? Ten hag has recognised this and is prioritising to rectify it first and foremost and I couldn’t be more happier.

dal

Sancho-Rashford-Erikson
————————Bruno———
———De Jong———————
—————————Fred———

Pep would make that work.

I’d actually be excited for that. Would just need Rashford to find his desire again.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I wasn’t aware we had to be honest. Feck is he waiting for. Seems to happen to all of our targets.
Most players do that. With Manutd, press report the same thing daily so it seems it takes an eternity.

Most likely we will get to know by next weekend.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Spurs correspondent (tier 1) Alasdair Gold is basically saying that Paratici (Spurs DoF) has made multiple attempts to sign him since his time with Juve and now with Spurs, but Spurs are now playing down the signing. Seems like he's rejected Spurs and will be moving elsewhere. And staying in London isn't important to the player by what's being reported.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Sancho-Rashford-Erikson
————————Bruno———
———De Jong———————
—————————Fred———

Pep would make that work.
It would send him on another sabbatical.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Age starts with a 3, and out of contract. What the feck are Juventus waiting for?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He's 30 years old not 35! A two contract isn't ludicrous, surely we don't want to sign him for a single season ?

Even if he signed a 1 year contract and played decently we would anyways try to renew the contract on increased wages so might aswell tie him down for 2+1 years now.
He had a heart attack and died on the pitch.

His recovery has been incredible and I hope we take the risk and sign him but I am not bothered about taking him long term. Would rather go year by year.

justsomebloke

Football is more than stats mate, use of the eyes is key. He's a complete liability as a central player if we want to go down the possession route. He may play as a wide forward or a second striker because his decision making and use of the ball in tight spaces is frankly, quite crap.
You don't say. I can assure you I have eyes, and use them. But football is also more than just forming an opinion and reinforcing it every time you watch someone play and pay particular attention to the things that are already at the front of your mind. Which is why it is also useful to notice stuff like someone creating more scoring chances than any other player in the PL, because frankly that is not something that is possible to do unless you are very, very good.

justsomebloke

You have to consider the system and why it is and is not acceptable to lose the ball - even with the best of intentions - we were a counter-attacking team who relied on absolutely rapid vertical counters where you want the ball moved into threatening areas of the pitch as fast as possible. In that system, Bruno may actually be one of the best in the world because he’ll hit what he sees with no hesitation and breach lines before a team have their bearings. His forte is actively encouraged in such a set up and the team is set up to cater to it; his turnovers and errant play glossed over because risk/reward states you give some to get some. In a counter-attacking side, you, as the ball user, are having others run off and away from you, you only need to hit them with your pass, which means less dribbling or running into space yourself - things Bruno is literally one of the worst in the league at. On the half turn, there mightn’t be more than a handful of players who can make something out of nothing like him in the league.

In a possession-based team, nearly all of the above is redundant, as the considered build-up demands you pick and choose your moments, based off intelligence and reading of when to try and hit killer passes - you cannot just spin and punt, so to speak - you have to know when to make your move and in the meantime remain rock-solid in the team’s schematic, which means no random, bomb punts or ‘daring’ plays whilst others are busting their arses running into positions ahead of you and the ball - there’s nothing more demoralising for others than them making considered runs - or attempting to - only to be bypassed rather than included. Chains, triangles, basic give and go rotations must be adhered to - you cannot go rogue or maverick without others wanting to murder you as you’re wasting their time and effort.

We’ve been highly dysfunctional, but a central part of why is that our playmaker simply does not follow the script when it comes to considered build-up; the discussion rages on about whether he simply cannot do so or refuses to with the jury still out, but the way he currently plays, you want that in the final third, where again it’s more encouraged than frowned upon, but you definitely do not want it in midfield where all the constructive, considered build-up is supposed to be taking place. De Jong is one of the consummate ball-carriers and chain players in the game; he requires foils who will buy into that to be effective; there isn’t a prayer Bruno can chain better than Eriksen who is selfless and thoughtful in his actions and ready and willing to be the decoy for others and then work himself back into a position to then receive the ball further up the pitch, which will invariably happen with De Jong, who has no hesitation in doing his bit deeper and then laying off for the attackers to complete.

You can’t have chance creation in lieu of the things that make an attacking midfielder go from OK to good or great, and if you are going to play someone like Bruno there, you need to optimise the whole system to his game, which means counter-attacking football, where he goes from OK to a very good player as his attributes are perfect for that kind of football and ill-suited to the other. If we get Eriksen, Bruno will be pushed forward in some capacity, I would expect.
Thanks, that's an interesting and thoughtful argument. I'll have a good think about that.

TheLoveless

He had a heart attack and died on the pitch.

His recovery has been incredible and I hope we take the risk and sign him but I am not bothered about taking him long term. Would rather go year by year.
He had a cardiac arrest, not a heart attack. Had he had a heart attack it wouldn’t be possible to come back because there would be reasons for that heart attack that would prevent him from performing at this level.

I agree completely with the rest.

Baxter

Jamie Jackson saying he’s turned United down. Wants to stay in London with Brentford or Spurs.

pratyush_utd

Jamie Jackson saying he’s turned United down. Wants to stay in London with Brentford or Spurs.
Which was reported last week by some Spurs journalist. Think Jamie is bit behind on this one. Just today, Spurs tier 1 journalist has ruled Eriksen out for Spurs and said London is no longer the priority

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Which was reported last week by some Spurs journalist. Think Jamie is bit behind on this one. Just today, Spurs tier 1 journalist has ruled Eriksen out for Spurs and said London is no longer the priority
Yeah, dunno, seems like you're right and that Jackson is getting staggered info. Although I've never considered him that reliable anyway.

pratyush_utd

This is what has been reported in last few days

Seems like nobody has any clue which team he is joining

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s a snippet from his article where he was discussing the narrative that we’ve been slow this Summer. Certainly not an exclusive scoop like that Tweet makes it out to be. Those aggregator accounts are just after RTs.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s a snippet from his article where he was discussing the narrative that we’ve been slow this Summer. Certainly not an exclusive scoop like that Tweet makes it out to be. Those aggregator accounts are just after RTs.
What does Jackson actually say?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
He’s either going to Spurs or United mate. Brentford shops in a different market.
Yeah ok pal thats why the bookies keep pulling our odds from the market right? I mean we are talking about a player who, checks notes, has been playing for us for the last few months. I know it’s hard for some fans of bigger clubs to understand and sometimes arrogance can blind opinion but logically if we were out of the running he would have told us by now. He has our offer and he is considering it he may well end up back at Spurs but at this stage he is just as likely to end up here or even at United. Nobody knows, potentially not even Eriksen himself yet….

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
What do you think ? Would he stay at Brentford or do you think he would join us ? I might be wrong here but I get the impression that you believe he would stay with you guys.
Well as I’ve said multiple times we can offer him things United and Spurs simply can’t match and likewise United and Spurs can offer him things we could never match. All boils down to what his true priorities are in this next move. I wouldn’t arrogantly claim he is going to re-sign for us but I do know he has our offer and hasn’t rejected us (yet) which to me is a good sign. I just enjoy the narrative that it’s either Spurs or Utd and the little bus stop in Hounslow is not even in the equation ;)

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
What does Jackson actually say?
Something like “Ten Hag wanted Nunez but he chose Liverpool. Further rejection then followed with Eriksen, who prefers to be in London. The only business so far at United has been exits.” He literally just mentions it as though it’s something he’s read. As I said, nothing like an exclusive twist.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
This is what has been reported in last few days

Seems like nobody has any clue which team he is joining
It is quite possible that Eriksen himself doesn’t know yet either so how these so-called ITKs would know is beyond me.

Schnappo

So he does say that hes ruled out United pretty much, right?
I think it's probably guesswork on Jamie Jackson's part; Eriksen prefers to stay in London = Eriksen has rejected United. I don't think there's anything concrete there - no one else is reporting this yet.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
If Jamie Jackson says something, I believes the opposite. NGL, I do that a lot. :lol: :lol:
Maybe he called him “Sorry to interrupt your holiday……” :lol: Football journalism is a joke regarding transfer speculation. Jamie Jackson doesn’t have a clue what Eriksen has decided yet.

CM

I wouldn't take too much notice of Jamie Jackson. It's a flowery article and there's no indication of him doing anything other than regurgitating what other people have already said.

Status
Not open for further replies.