Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

So with Eriksen, is it him behind Ronaldo and Bruno wide right?
I’d say Bruno in a false 9 type position with Ronaldo / Rashford wide on one side and Sancho on the other. Sort of like inside forwards. That allows Bruno to press through the middle so we solve that little problem. He’s hard working enough to cover more area across the front line while pressing while the two forwards have a more linear area to work in. I think if we wanted a RW then we would have stronger links to one so I think he will use the 3/4 forwards we already have.
That would be my guess

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
An unusually bitter sounding post from you.
I'm not bitter, just a bit disappointed - I know he didn't want to leave London so the only thing that could have persuaded him to move (assuming he does) is a ton of cash so I reckon he asked for something crazy to move to Utd and presumably you are paying up.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yep, that's the only reason he would choose us over Totspurs.

One sip of Manchester tap water and it was a wrap, they're saying.
No there are a ton of reasons why he would choose Spurs - he has very strong links to Spurs for obvious reasons, his family are all settled in London (kids at local schools, etc.) - that's not even touching on the football reasons, champions league, etc.

So I'm assuming its a lot to do with the money offered and possibly him getting more starts with Utd than he would at Spurs.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not bitter, just a bit disappointed - I know he didn't want to leave London so the only thing that could have persuaded him to move (assuming he does) is a ton of cash so I reckon he asked for something crazy to move to Utd and presumably you are paying up.
Maybe, it's true we have freed up a lot of wages. However, I don't find it all that surprising. His last few months at Spurs are very well documented and he only left 2 years ago, I would've found it very weird if he'd have wanted to return so suddenly after reportedly wanting a new challenge, especially to a manager who didn't really utilise him all that much at Inter. With Spurs out of the equation it becomes a straight up shoot between Brentford and United and let's face it, there's not many who are choosing Brentford in that scenario.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
No there are a ton of reasons why he would choose Spurs - he has very strong links to Spurs for obvious reasons, his family are all settled in London (kids at local schools, etc.) - that's not even touching on the football reasons, champions league, etc.

So I'm assuming its a lot to do with the money offered and possibly him getting more starts with Utd than he would at Spurs.
...and when it turns it he does wants to stay in London after all and rejects both your lot and United for little old us imagine how you'll feel then ;)

Harold_Giles

Playing time might have something to do with it.
I imagine ETH will have expressed to him that he'd be a vital player in his system.
I doubt Conte will see him as anything other than extra body based on their time together at Inter

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Or maybe it's because he wanted to join the biggest club he would ever have played for? Or maybe it's all money who knows.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Or maybe it's because he wanted to join the biggest club he would ever have played for? Or maybe it's all money who knows.
I know we had a stinking season but now apparently the only thing tempting a player to join United over Spurs is money :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I know we had a stinking season but now apparently the only thing tempting a player to join United over Spurs is money :lol:
Innit, where did this come from? We are hardly an awful catch in the grand scheme of things.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
...and when it turns it he does wants to stay in London after all and rejects both your lot and United for little old us imagine how you'll feel then ;)
I'd much rather he stayed at Brentford than go to Utd so I'd be perfectly content with that.

manuchamp88

De Jong and Eriksen double announcement this week. Some sort of Ajax related pun for the hashtag. Heard it here first
De Jong, Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez all in 1 week. Can see it now - an announcement tweet with XXX followed up by a video reveal.

If anyone in marketing needs an executive, let me know.

Stadjer

I remember read in inter Milan forum, the fans moaned about Conte of how the player can perform if he doesn’t let the player to play full 90 minutes or keep subbing the player off when the player only just started playing good in the match.

After ’’round 21st’’, you can see that it‘s still not an impressive minutes as there are only 3 matches where he managed to get above 80 mins. In total of 17 games of his best period (GW 22nd - GW 38th), he played 1005 mins out of 1530 possible minutes, meaning it’s similar to not playing 6 full matches in that 17 games.

What is the problem with subbing a player off? He still started those games. If Conte didnt like Eriksen as a player he wouldnt start him at all. Eriksen was becoming a starter and if both had stayed at Inter i think Eriksen would have played even more this season. I dont see it the Inter period as a reason why Eriksen wouldnt want to play for Conte again or that he had a bad experience playing for Conte.

Kaushal

Really thought he would end up back at Spurs but I guess money talks and no doubt you have offered him a ton more cash. He will be an excellent signing for whoever gets him.
Not even close to being done yet with us and already not taking it kindly I see. But you are right, there could be no other reason whatsoever why a player would chose united over spurs. In other words, Money or Spurs ? It’s our MO now.

justsomebloke

It isn’t good output in the slightest if the remainder of the time he is giving the ball to the opposition or putting his own team under pressure. Simple fact is most players don’t play in such a haphazard way or they too could boost stats on paper.

He should be utilised in a forward position, but certainly not midfield where what he does is a threat to both the opposition and his own team.
Hm. Statistically you have more of a point than I would have thought. While many of his offensive stats is 90s percentiles compared to midfielders, it is also the case that most of those associated with ball loss are single digit percentiles.

82 scoring chances created though. It's hard to imagine there were anywhere near as many in the opposite direction resulting from him giving the ball away? And I wonder how those stats looked the season before.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t get why we’d have to sign de jong before anyone els to see if there’s enough money left for other targets..: eriksen could easily be our first signing since he’s a free agent and will probably only take matas wages. That won’t affect the transfer budget at all. Get both eriksen and de jong this week!! Then let’s focus on attack and defence.

cyberman

Spurs came 4th last season in a race of 3 horrendous teams. I remember Balaks saying Spurs had a championship side that needed a new squad to compete. Utd are starting from scratch now so in the cold light of day being offered the chance to play with Ronaldo, Sancho, Bruno, De Jong and Rashford while being told the entire team, one of the biggest teams on the planet, want to build around you and De Jong in midfield…that’s a huge pull. He has also trained with Ten Hag so his rating of him as a coach could have a major impact as well.

Chairman Steve

I don’t doubt for a second money plays a part in all football transfers, and we’ve freed up a ton of wages this past month.

But there’s probably other factors in there like ETH has delivered a successful pitch to him, and its a better one than Spurs and Brentford gave.

He may think a better opportunity isn’t going to come along than playing for a team of United’s stature, especially considering a year ago he was technically dead for five minutes.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure why you think anything I said in that post is funny. Eriksen has very strong links in London and his kids all live and go to school there - in his particular circumstances he clearly would prefer to stay in London - this is not about Utd vs Spurs in terms of clubs, it's about his own personal circumstances.

Posh Red

Why is money the only potential reason why he would decide to relocate?

Gazza

Not sure why you think anything I said in that post is funny. Eriksen has very strong links in London and his kids all live and go to school there - in his particular circumstances he clearly would prefer to stay in London - this is not about Utd vs Spurs in terms of clubs, it's about his own personal circumstances.
I’m laughing at the notion that the only reason Eriksen would choose United over Spurs is money, which is laughable. Your reference to his “personal circumstances” doesn’t change that.

Strootman's Finger

Signing for United is Eriksen's first real opportunity to play for an elite level club. United may be down at the moment, but they're still one of the biggest clubs in the world, top 3 or 4.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So by all accounts, looking like Ten Hag wants 2 of his starting 3 in midfield to be Eriksen and FdJ. Complete overhaul in possession and technique that :lol:
I think he'd pick McTominay to balance them to be honest, but maybe his limitations might be too much and might run with Fred and teach him positioning. We'll see. That would likely mean Bruno out wide. He doesn't work as a false 9, and he's not signing Eriksen to be a bench player. I can see Bruno working out wide, but it's an unknown and he'll essentially now compete with Sancho, Rashford, possibly Antony if we bring him in. Exciting times though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What is the problem with subbing a player off? He still started those games. If Conte didnt like Eriksen as a player he wouldnt start him at all. Eriksen was becoming a starter and if both had stayed at Inter i think Eriksen would have played even more this season. I dont see it the Inter period as a reason why Eriksen wouldnt want to play for Conte again or that he had a bad experience playing for Conte.
Before that GW22 in his 2nd season, he struggled to start. When he got the chance to start, he was never cement full 90 mins, and this frustrated Inter fans as they said when Eriksen only just started to kick on in the match, he got subbed off which they thought he didn’t have enough time to show what he truly can. This reflects to why Eriksen was struggling to play under Conte system.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sure, Bruno is our big problem. He only created 3 more scoring chances than anybody else in the PL last season, so why would anyone want him to start. :)

I really don't get this Bruno thing. Most chances created in the PL, 10 goals and 6 assists in the PL. And that's him playing for a dysfunctional team and having an off-year. The season before he was second in league scoring - a better goal scorer than every striker in the league except Harry Kane. There is such a thing as getting too caught up on your own eye test.
It’ll be interesting to see if bruno can serve as a cog in a system though. It’s not about individuals anymore

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They are footballers, they get everything sorted within no time and they have dedicated team at clubs to get everything sorted. It's not like 9-5 job guys relocating with family.

Eriksen moved to Milan, Amsterdam and back to London in last 2 years, looks like moving cities is not a big deal for him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’ll be interesting to see if bruno can serve as a cog in a system though. It’s not about individuals anymore
Bruno will be ten Hag’s Tadic if I have to take a guess. He will cover the wide area, no 10 if needed, and even false 9.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think CE may have been impressed by ETH and his coaches during the time spent training with them and now ETH has pitched to him that he’d be a key player in the United rebuild. He surely has to think about that

SATA

Good player but will we have the slowest frontline ever if Eriksen comes? I’m anticipating Bruno, Cristiano, Sancho and him (cos let’s be honest, he isn’t coming here to sit on the bench) as our front four and bar probably Jadon who’s quite rapid on the sprint, the rest of the trio isn’t quick. We really need to find a spot for Rashford in the XI if that’s the case

Ralph1386

I think he'd pick McTominay to balance them to be honest, but maybe his limitations might be too much and might run with Fred and teach him positioning. We'll see.
Who knows, if he sees something in James Garner he might be inclined to coach him to play a double pivot with Dejong.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I've just found out that he's from a place called Middelfart. Even better; in English it means "central passage". This pleases me greatly.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Good player but will we have the slowest frontline ever if Eriksen comes? I’m anticipating Bruno, Cristiano, Sancho and him (cos let’s be honest, he isn’t coming here to sit on the bench) as our front four and bar probably Jadon who’s quite rapid on the sprint, the rest of the trio isn’t quick. We really need to find a spot for Rashford in the XI if that’s the case
We need some pace and trickery on the right. I don't want to see Eriksen out wide at all.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ten Hag has not worked with Eriksen before. If he's getting him, it's likely to play him in his more natural position as CM or AM rather than playing him on the right. Same thing goes for Bruno. So if Eriksen comes, he's likely going to be competition for Bruno or a formation change if he wants to start both Bruno and Eriksen

Status
Not open for further replies.