Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His gametime at Brentford would obviously be more guaranteed as they're a worse side and it would mean being able to stay in London, where his family have spent the majority of the last decade.

He may well come here regardless but it would hardly be surprising if he opted for Brentford, particularly as for all we know his recent health scare may have shifted his career priorities.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But what are you being empathetic for? Your concerned a guy who nearly lost his life on the field decided to get back on that same field and play have a season in arguable the most intense league in the world.

I’m sure we can both agree with that in mind. Pressure is not the issue here.

But please enlighten me on where I might be lacking empathy?
Look, I don't know the guy from Adam, his feelings included, but if I were his GP, I would strongly advise he stay away from football entirely. But if he insists on playing again, he should do so in an environment as stress-free as possible. Brentford would be the logical choice in that scenario as the pressure/expectations on him will be minimal compared to United - where the fans and media are far less forgiving of poor performances.

I'm not saying that is the case with Eriksen, only that it's worthy of consideration for a guy prone to heart failure.

Withnail

I can’t believe that Sheth guy actually changed his first name to skysports :lol:

Wrestlers changing their names to their wrestler name is good for their brand but who cares about Skysports Sheth. He’ll regret that one day!
I was literally thinking the same thing from another thread. Be really awkward if he ends up working for a competitor. I don't think you are allowed to change usernames right?

You can change your twitter username. It's editable via the account settings so it's no big deal.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Christ it's hardly rocket science, guy who had heart attack chooses to avoid the biggest pressure cooker and under the microscope club possibly in the world. Hardly a mental decision, wish him well either way.

lsd

The Oracle
Fighting over Eriksen.

Makes me sick how far we done fell

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
His gametime at Brentford would obviously be more guaranteed as they're a worse side and it would mean being able to stay in London, where his family have spent the majority of the last decade.

He may well come here regardless but it would hardly be surprising if he opted for Brentford, particularly as for all we know his recent health scare may have shifted his career priorities.
A very level headed post. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he stayed in London - not choosing United wouldn’t necessarily be down to the footballing aspect.

Bob McRib

Supports
Tennessee Volunteers
I think this will quickly get done as soon as FDJ signs.

Marcelinho87

Look, I don't know the guy from Adam, his feelings included, but if I were his GP, I would strongly advise he stay away from football entirely. But if he insists on playing again, he should do so in an environment as stress-free as possible. Brentford would be the logical choice in that scenario as the pressure/expectations on him will be minimal compared to United - where the fans and media are far less forgiving of poor performances.

I'm not saying that is the case with Eriksen, only that it's worthy of consideration for a guy prone to heart failure.
His actual GP and all the medical people around him will have advised him he is safe to play on or he simply wouldn't be doing so and no club would take a punt on somebody deemed not well enough.

Anybody is prone to heart failure, the first time can be anytime for anybody.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Christ it's hardly rocket science, guy who had heart attack chooses to avoid the biggest pressure cooker and under the microscope club possibly in the world. Hardly a mental decision, wish him well either way.
Not that he’s even decided that yet.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some people are dying to play the “chose smaller club over United”
We saw it with the lad from derby and it turned out we didn’t actually chase him

golden_blunder

Staff
He didn’t have a heart attack. He had a cardiac arrest which are 2 different things and generally caused by different reasons. With cardiac arrest your heart may be fine but it can be caused by a viral reason for example

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He didn’t have a heart attack. He had a cardiac arrest which are 2 different things and generally caused by different reasons. With cardiac arrest your heart may be fine but it can be caused by a viral reason for example
Fair enough!

BarstoolProphet

If it hadn't been for us being in dire need of (midfield) reinforcements and a "tight" budget to fill our needs, then I would have liked to see him continue his nice story with Brentford, but we really need him.

golden_blunder

Staff
Fair enough!
Sorry just cause I saw a few people make that mistake

Daley blind for example, cardiac arrest, defibrillator fitted. Still playing including CL and international level

Aguero I believe they discovered some kind of heart disease or defect which meant he couldn’t take a chance and retired

lsd

The Oracle
If it is Erikksen or nothing then please let it be nothing.

I didn't want him when he was under 30 with no health issues having him now would be a terrible reflection on what's we are currently at

World much prefer we give minutes to a youngster rather than this.

lsd

The Oracle

It's still too serious a condition to ever be fully comfortable with surely

I would much rather he went into coaching or something else for his own good.

He doesn't need us and I don't see how we need him in all honesty

golden_blunder

Staff

Daley blind does it, absolutely no reason this lad can’t either. He might never have another cardiac arrest in his life

Rockets Redglare

If it is Erikksen or nothing then please let it be nothing.

I didn't want him when he was under 30 with no health issues having him now would be a terrible reflection on what's we are currently at

World much prefer we give minutes to a youngster rather than this.
What exactly is your issue with getting him in for free? None of the youngsters are near his quality and if it doesn’t work out it’s cost the club nothing other than his wages.

lsd

The Oracle
What exactly is your issue with getting him in for free? None of the youngsters are near his quality and if it doesn’t work out it’s cost the club nothing other than his wages.

How many times have we heard it costs us nothing but his wages?

Perhaps that's why we have the largest wage bill in football and can't sell anyone

Eriksen is just a player I've never really wanted at United and that was when he was in his peak which he is clearly not in these days.

Yes he was talented and did ok at Spurs but was never special.

He did not stand out at Brentford because of his playing he stood out because he was coming back from his cardiac arrest.

You can't tell me he will make us significantly better than if we have the likes of Garner or Hannibal minutes.

If you do then I just feel you are judging him on his peak and not now

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
His actual GP and all the medical people around him will have advised him he is safe to play on or he simply wouldn't be doing so and no club would take a punt on somebody deemed not well enough.

Anybody is prone to heart failure, the first time can be anytime for anybody.
Maybe, maybe not, there are no guarantees. All I know is there will be less pressure on him at Brentford than at United, whether that factors in to his decision is another matter of course.

Either way, he'll decide where he's playing next season soon enough.

dinostar77

I hope we sign him. It will be a smart free transfer for a very talented player. His chances created stats in PL are up there with the best of them. Seeing how good he is at setpieces and how bad we are at converting setpieces into goals, its a win on that aspect. Fantasic technique and passing ability. Serious competition for bruno which means he has to step up and not underperform anymore. Its a win win as far as i see it.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Some people are dying to play the “chose smaller club over United”
We saw it with the lad from derby and it turned out we didn’t actually chase him
Yeah but that just comes with the territory of supporting United nothing is going to change that. For what it's worth, if he does choose us over United I'd be too busy celebrating to give it the "he chose little us over massive United" bollox. End of the day this a totally unique situation and set of circumstances that are unlikely to be repeated. Although from reading this thread I am sure there will be plenty of posters sticking in the knife on Eriksen and belittling Brentford if he does choose us but that says more about them than anything else, when you support the biggest, most successful team in the country you'd think you'd be more secure in yourselves than to dig out us :)

Obviously not a dig at you @golden_blunder but a general point btw.

dinostar77

I think Eriksen is basing his decision on whether or not we get FDJ. If we get him he will come.
They would work well together in theory. FDJ receiving the ball out from the back, breaking a press and getting upto erikksen who can create chances for our forwards. Give ronnie a clear cut chance and he normally buries it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I'm not sure about that. It was a random episode of cardiac arrest from an unknown cause. The little defib he has implanted in his chest is there to kick start things if it happens again.

It's not the same condition as heart attack or heart failure (in its various forms).

ObscureBaguette

I'm not sure about that. It was a random episode of cardiac arrest from an unknown cause. The little defib he has implanted in his chest is there to kick start things if it happens again.

It's not the same condition as heart attack or heart failure (in its various forms).
I know we don't know much about what happened to Eriksen, but what process do you think he's been through that gives both the doctors and himself the confidence that he could return to professional football again? Beyond just the pacemaker, I mean.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah but that just comes with the territory of supporting United nothing is going to change that. For what it's worth, if he does choose us over United I'd be too busy celebrating to give it the "he chose little us over massive United" bollox. End of the day this a totally unique situation and set of circumstances that are unlikely to be repeated. Although from reading this thread I am sure there will be plenty of posters sticking in the knife on Eriksen and belittling Brentford if he does choose us but that says more about them than anything else, when you support the biggest, most successful team in the country you'd think you'd be more secure in yourselves than to dig out us :)

Obviously not a dig at you @golden_blunder but a general point btw.
What's Eriksen getting paid at Brentford right now and does the club have any plans to increase his salary with United trying to lure him away?

GoldanoGraham

Nothing will be announced officially with any players who have contracts finishing this month until the 30th or 1st - as that is when they officially become free agents out of contract - even Pogba hasn’t signed his new Juve deal as technically he is still a Utd player until the 30th.

Normally if a player was going to stay with the existing club then they could announce a new contract/extension anytime so I’d assume that he won’t be resigning for Brentford otherwise would have just come out and said so - could be Utd or A.N.Other team?

choccy77

Talksport reporting that Eriksen has turned down United.

Seems like he has never wanted to play for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.