Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveskimufc

Played seemingly a lot deeper that I thought he did from this highlights video.

Understand this is just a highlights package, but didn't know he was this type of player. Picking passes out and getting the team higher up. Hopefully he gets this type of space in a red shirt

RedAlert27

I think there are enough dominant players off the pitch. Eriksen will be a respected person among his teammate and is a true teamplayer, no doubt about that. On the pitch he is at least as good as Bruno, so I think he will be respected without being the most loud person.
Maybe off the pitch there is, but doesn't seem any natural dominant leaders on the pitch. Maguire certainly isn't and needs replacing as captain. With Ronaldo possibly leaving, I can't think of any other natural leaders we have?

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He is a better player than a lot of the players already at the club and we also lost a lot of players on free transfers etc, so getting a good attack minded player in, there is nothing wrong with that. Replaced Lingard with Eriksen and then Pogba with De Jong is actually really good replacements.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
If only we had a very good striker to latch onto the end of this man's passes
We have some fast attackers who definitely have the ability to especially when ETH starts coaching and drilling it into them. There is definitely a lot of ability in some of the players. Elanga, Rashford, Sancho and Diallo are all pretty capable of making runs in behind to latch onto his passes.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Was surprised to see this headline on my travels.

Manchester United told 'underwhelming' Christian Eriksen deal won't help bridge gap to top teams
Decided I was intrigued to discover who "told" United this...

Former Premier League midfielder Danny Murphy has been left "underwhelmed"
Oh no! Not Danny Murphy!!!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yes... you are right...
He only:
  • Died on the pitch a year ago
  • For a decade or so been the only player the Danish international team relied.
  • Played 7 years in Tottenham and regularly Champions League even longer (also for Ajax)
  • Joined Inter as their most expensive player and won the Italian Championship
  • Played Champions League finale with Tottenham in 2019
  • Played just about any club tournament finale that exists
  • Went back to play professional football even though the entire world expected him to quit
  • Not only joined a Premier League side but also instantly.. instantly created an impact . Brentford won his first 5 games
    which was more than they had won the entire season leading up to that, and that was with Eriksen assisting from the get go.
  • The entire City of Brentford expected him to carry their asses above relegation all by himself... and he did...

How could this guy, this who has played abroad all across Europe for more than a decade.
Playing in Serie A and Premier League for most of that time.
Who has literally had the entire football worlds eyes on him.. who made the news worldwide and came back from it.

How could he ever.. understand the pressure that comes with playing for the 6th best team in Premier League ;)
If there ever was a post that deserved automatic promotion, this one might be it. Keep it up.

Polar

Eriksen is exactly what we need, and not just on the pitch.
He definitely is any managers dream outside the pitch and we need players with his personal skills.

How much we need a strong technical core compared to how we looked last year.
Agree. I think he’ll strengthen our play in certain areas: keeping the ball in our build up and strengthen creativity in possession play. Can imagine Eriksen will connect very well with Rash and Sancho.

My concern is all about our defensive play. Bruno, Rash, Sancho or Eriksen are very average defensively and de Jong needs time to adapt to PL. He will probably not be able to compensate for their ground covering weakness anyway.

he's a good player and I wouldn't mind him at all at a reasonable price.
My conclusion as well. At a reasonable price he is a nobrainer. A reasonable price in my view is: a two year deal with £150.000 a week and £15m (sign on fee + add-ons).

Buzzbee

It'll be interesting to have a player no opposing fan can dislike, everyone loves Eriksen. Who was the last universally liked United player? Really can't think of one...

Red Daz

Before everyone moans we are paying him too much , remember this is probably his last big contract, also as always with no transfer fee some of what you save in that regard tends to go to the player, and after last seasons team of headless chickens who couldn’t string two passes together this is the biggest no brainer signing.

Great business even if we are paying him a little more than you’d normally expect, it’s all relative.
No negatives here as far as I can see.

Andersons Dietician

Good bit of buisness if it gets done. I’m imaging he is most likely going to be a bench option for the most part but very good player all the same.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
To people who presume he will be a substitute/rotation player - you realise our midfield options are currently McTominay, Fred, van de Beek?

Eriksen is our best midfielder! :lol:

Tavern in the town

To people who presume he will be a substitute/rotation player - you realise our midfield options are currently McTominay, Fred, van de Beek?

Eriksen is our best midfielder! :lol:
He doesn’t play in the same position as McTominay and Fred though. And if we sign Frenkie that leaves one spot open for another deeper midfielder, you’d assume it’d have be be someone more defensive than Eriksen.

Dread Devil

I am delighted about this signing, hopefully he can go on for a few years…he has that finesse of players like Scholes, Pirlo and Modric….not quite in the same class but at the top end nonetheless, let’s hope he has their longevity….and maybe some of our players might develop a little more humility around his presence…

KiD MoYeS

He doesn’t play in the same position as McTominay and Fred though. And if we sign Frenkie that leaves one spot open for another deeper midfielder, you’d assume it’d have be be someone more defensive than Eriksen.
He'll play in the double pivot, if Ten Hag opts for that formation, I bet. And he will prove better than McTominay and Fred there.

Chief123

Dare I say it, a big benefactor of Eriksen signing could be Rashford. We know Rashford loves to run in behind with direct passing playing him in. Bruno's passing was extremely erratic last season. With Eriksens composure and technique, we could see Rashford latching on to a number of these passes and hopefully regaining some form. I also think if we have to rely a large chunk of games on Martial as the striker, he will also benefit from the likes of Eriksen, Bruno and De Jong who have all got the ability to play a pass forward and fast. Martial was great at hold up play in his last good season. He linked very well with Bruno. I can see his hold up play and link up football becoming effective with the likes of Rashford and Sancho running off him. I know theres lots of ifs and buts, but there is some hope.

ArjenIsM3

Replaces both Mata and Lingard so that's good. I imagine Ten Hag wants to be able to play a system similar to what he had at Ajax where he played Frenkie, Schone and Ziyech in a midfield three. Eriksen would fill the Schone role, if we get Frenkie he'll play as Frenkie :) and Bruno could fill the Ziyech spot.

KiD MoYeS

Dare I say it, a big benefactor of Eriksen signing could be Rashford. We know Rashford loves to run in behind with direct passing playing him in. Bruno's passing was extremely erratic last season. With Eriksens composure and technique, we could see Rashford latching on to a number of these passes and hopefully regaining some form. I also think if we have to rely a large chunk of games on Martial as the striker, he will also benefit from the likes of Eriksen, Bruno and De Jong who have all got the ability to play a pass forward and fast. Martial was great at hold up play in his last good season. He linked very well with Bruno. I can see his hold up play and link up football becoming effective with the likes of Rashford and Sancho running off him. I know theres lots of ifs and buts, but there is some hope.
You would hope all our forward players benefit from having a midfielder behind them capable of passing. If Bruno still plays further forward he should benefit too, Bruno's best role is a goalscoring player rather than a playmaker.

Lee565

I understand the point that Murphy was trying to make.
City are Champions with a fabulous team, and they are in a position that they can add a player such as Phillips to their squad, because they don't particularly need to revamp their first XI, although they have, by bringing in Haaland.

United on the other hand, are miles away from where City are, 30 odd points adrift, so in order to close that massive gap, bringing in squad players isn't going to have much of an impact, it's United's first XI that needs urgent improvement.
Eriksen probably isn't the player to do that, unless Bruno is being dropped, but that seems unlikely, so Murphy is probably correctly calling Eriksen a squad player.

I'm happy to sign Eriksen, he is class, but I'm not under any delusions that he will bring United significantly closer to City or Liverpool, which I think is the point that Murphy was trying to get across.
I think the quality of eriksen is being underestimated, the only reason he was at Brentford was not because his quality dropped off but because of a massive health scare that didn't allow him to play for serie a champions inter Milan due the league's ruling on his condition.

VivaRonaldo85

Smart signing. Top class footballer. Brings some much needed quality to this depleted squad plus takes some weight off our over reliance of Bruno.

P.s. Danny Murphy is the biggest scouse gob shite I’ve heard in years.

Robertd0803

This transfer reads like a movie script that would get canned because it was unrealistic. Great player suffers massive Cardiac arrest on the pitch, extremely high likelihood that he will never run again let alone play top level football, makes it back and helps keep a recently promoted team in the Premier league, before joining one of the biggest teams in the world, having obviously made a full recovery with no signs that he cannot perform at a high level. Its borderline miraculous, and if you can't get excited about this then I have to question the lack of a soul in you.
Exactly this.

tjb

Aye, seems every single move we make is the wrong one. Even when we are making signings, not spending huge amounts and have cleared a huge chunk off the wage book already. City and Liverpool can do no wrong for signing 70+ mil players who are unproven. (Not meaning Haaland)
This is why our fans have to be careful. If Chelsea had had the type of season we had last season, it would have been completely forgotten about. Noone would talk about them needing to replace every single player like they do with us. If Eriksen didn't come, the headline would have been that Eriksen saw how United had declined and rejected us.

We have the biggest fanbase in the world. Maguire is better than the majority of defenders outside of Liverpool and City, both in England and in Europe. We never hear about those defenders when they have spells of bad form, but at United, Maguire is a meme and has England fans booing him. Bruno had a relatively poor season by his standard, but a good season by normal standards. Prior to this, he has been absolute class for us. Yet when you go online, you would think he's stealing a living. Gundogan can disappear for seasons, come back and have a decent 3 months and people will still call him class.

Chief123

A two of Eriksen and De Jong will get overrun every game though.
He won't play as a two in CDM (Unless its a weak team parking the bus at old trafford). I can see Eriksen playing from the right wing but tucking in for a lot of the games. Similar to how Mata used to come inside from the right. Dont forget when Spurs were flying Eriksen played mostly from the right, with Son from the left and Dele Alli behind Kane. Eriksens crossing and playmaking from right wing has always been very good.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He will play more advanced. If he didn't play deep at his physical peak he isn't about to start now. Would be suicide.
You mean like Paul Scholes or Giggs?

Marcelinho87

Why are people acting as though he's touching 40? 30 is still young enough to give us a good few years and I'm reading about Indian summers and shit.

He's younger than De Bruyne, he will be a starter here imo week in week out.

Class player.

spiriticon

I only worry about his fitness to play 50 games a season but other this is a very solid signing for a free transfer.

I would have paid £60 million for him 3 years ago

Greck

You mean like Paul Scholes or Giggs?
This is not great logic. Are you going to use that as a frame of reference for changing everyone's position after they hit 30? Generally in sports aging players don't transition to more workrate intensive positions, a couple exceptions don't prove otherwise. In this case we're talking about a midfield that already gets overrun regularly. It can barely even carry itself, it's not equipped to compensate for old legs. I don't see Eriksen being deployed in deeper midfield. If we experiment I expect it will get scrapped fast. Maybe if we had Park or a prime Fletcher or Carrick.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This is not great logic. Are you going to use that as a frame of reference for changing everyone's position after they hit 30? Generally in sports aging players don't transition to more workrate intensive positions, a couple exceptions don't prove otherwise. We're talking about a midfield that already gets overrun.
No but I'm also not going to pretend it doesn't happen. It happens quite often with cultured attackers in fact. I don't think midfield is necessarily particularly workrate intensive if you keep possession well either, which is why many midfielders can play at a very high level until their mid to late 30s. Modric, Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, Carrick, Scholes being examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.